Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

http://www.scubtrovers.com.br/novo-mass-effect-origins-trilogia

Reading Portuguese by means of my rusty Spanish but this probably wrong article says EA is announcing Mass Effect: Origins on Monday. Previous rumblings claimed it was called Mass Effect: Contact, not Origins. Also the game is not a prequel apparently despite its very prequelish possible subtitles, and marks the start of a new trilogy.

Making ME4 a prequel is the first step on the road to completely loving it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
It's not like you couldn't have a bald space marine dude on the cover AND have more than one race option for the protagonist.

But yeah, "prequel" sounds to me like "Story about first contact war that will be uninspired at best". But I guess they could surprise us and make it a game where you play as an asari/turian/salarian before they found the humans!

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

They confirmed it wasn't going to be a prequel and also it wouldn't be about Shepard.

Huh, really? When did this happen?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Thermal clips was the single largest improvement to the combat in ME2 compared to ME1.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I wasn't playing Mass Effect for the combat either, but given the choice between bad combat (ME1) and good combat (ME2, ME3), I'll pick good combat every time. I prefer good things over bad things even if they're not the main focus of the game.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Reloading fits a better with cover based combat where you pop out, unload a clip and pop back, I guess?
But yeah, I guess you're right, the reloading itself doesn't matter a whole lot. You could have basically the same combat where the gun overheats after 10 shots in rapid succession rather than just having to reload after 10 shots. A lot of the time you have to sit back for a few extra seconds waiting for health/shields to recharge anyway, which takes about as long as waiting for a gun to cool down.

So why is guns overheating somehow superior to reloading?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Lycus posted:

Okay, people that have done the whole "get everybody's health down to a sliver, then get out of the Mako and kill them for the XP boost" thing. Be honest with me, did any of you like doing that? Because that sounds like a horrible time to me. I don't think I'd do that in a million years.

After a while I didn't really bother using the Mako's guns at all except maybe against thresher maws and some of the big geth. In all but like one of my playthroughs I was using a sniper rifle anyway, and those are easier to aim once you get a few points in them.

ME1's combat kinda sucks on any difficulty, but now after like 5 playthroughs I can't play ME2 or 3 on anything but insanity, because it feels too easy otherwise.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The only bad thing about how ME2 abilities handle shields/barriers/armor is that it causes Miranda to be pretty much the best character to bring with you since she has both warp and overload.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Some ME4 development stuff thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00YqU7CT3XQ
I didn't watch all 30 minutes of it, but I did catch that the main character is wearing N7 armour. I hope the systems alliance accepts alien recruits, because playable aliens is like #1 on my list of things I want in ME4.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The fistfight with the fat old dude is still the hardest fight in the game, huh.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Wasn't the Illusive man originally supposed to turn into a reaper monster and used as a bossfight? As bad as the ME3 ending was, it could've been a lot worse.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I want to play a Biotic God in ME4.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The soldier gets every gun, including assault rifles which no other class get. And they get to use bullet time pretty much all the time. I found ME2 too easy on insanity as a soldier.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I'm not sure jetpacks is what I needed in my mass effect. Bet they're gonna go for some sort of open world thing like they did in DA3 which is just a horrible slog that the game would've been better off without.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
It worked for Call of Duty, but I'm not feeling it for Mass Effect.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
"You will play a human."
gently caress sake.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Same, except the opposite

I want an RPG where I can be super evil and just give everyone the middle finger while I join the bad guys and set fire to the galaxy

Play NWN2 MOTB.
Or NWN2 OC even.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Furism posted:

What I'm afraid of is that Andromeda will follow the DAI route and go open-worldish. Collect space bear asses and all. I guess it'll be fun to kill Thresher Maws with the Mako again.

Same. DAI was a good game, but the open world bits that were shoehorned in so they could pretend to be a little bit like skyrim needed to loving go. And the random planets you had to navigate with the mako were the worst parts of ME1.
Skyrim isn't even a good game jesus christ.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

wookieepelt posted:

They're better at writing than Bethesda.

High.
Praise.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
ME2's ending was better. ME2 was better in just about every single way, actually.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

Correct, but wouldn't the reapers be pillaging other galaxies in order to prevent them from developing sentient AI as well?

Only thing I can think of is Andromeda being seeded with life recently (in the cosmic scale) thus the reapers not needing to invade yet because the local races haven't advanced enough. Or perhaps Andromeda's reaper cycle is still in the middle.

Otherwise we will be seeing super advanced ai or as the other goon said, supreme beings that haven't been hindered by a galaxy level extinction event.

Or maybe whoever programmed the reapers only set them to watch the milky way.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Vanguard, soldier and infiltrator are all good.
The only other class I've tried is engineer, and holy poo poo was that dull. I had to download a cheat program to change class in order to keep playing.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Speaking of jack, am I the only one who was bothered by her jailbreak scene? Like, don't biotics kinda need an amp to use their powers properly? Wouldn't they remove that before putting her in cold storage?
Also why can't she take down 3 heavy mechs in one hit when she's in my party.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

sassassin posted:

Do everything in order of importance and accept the consequences you babies.

Priority missions come first.

Priority missions come last. This has been the case in every RPG since the dawn of time.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
It would be really cool if they made it so that the races of the milky way are starved for resources or something and really loving desperate to find new inhabitable planets, so we decide to invade andromeda in a proper lebensraum war of aggression.

However,

Timespy posted:

They won't have the balls to make us the bad guys.
The native Andromedans will be a race of ultrahitlers and only yoomanity and NotShepard can liberate the minor races enslaved by them.

It will be this.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I'm actually disappointed they didn't just say that Turian men and women are pretty much indistinguishable from each other to a human eye. I mean, that's basically what they did with the Salarians, and with them there was actually a reason in the codex why there weren't any women around.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

I replayed ME1 on the xbone recently and hoo boy parts of it have not aged well

They'd better have interesting stuff to find on each planet 'cause the whole "find debris/survey minerals/murder things in a prefab" carousel got old very fast
Yeah, Bioware have never done field exploration particularly well. It wasn't great in ME1 and it was bad in DA3.

I'm cautiously optimistic about ME4 after DA3, though. It'll probably have some lovely bethesdaesque open world bits, but running around a galaxy as a Bioware Mary Sue is most likely gonna be fun.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I think shamus makes some good points about how bad ME3's plot is, but he's also an incredible sperg who spent literally months writing nitpicky essays about video games.

Dunno what he wrote about ME2, since that's a fun game and I don't want to read bad things about it.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
No lie, humans suddenly being Really Important For Some Reason in ME2/3 is the worst part of the series for me.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

However, Mass Effect, all of it, owns.
Counterpoint: While most of Mass Effect does own, many parts of it are in fact very bad.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Even the worst parts of Mass Effect still own, and I am sorry that you are unable to see this.

No part of chasing a dream kid through a dream forest owned in any way.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

gfanikf posted:

Javik was one of the pre-order DLCs. I can see that, but he's also a massive dick with a superiority complex and whose not afraid to show it. Interestingly he isn't the total lore dump you might first think he was going to be. He talks about being born centuries after the war started and only being exposed to the military side of things vs lots of the cultural or science side. It's neat getting a skewed narrator vs all knowing.

It annoyed me that he knew a lot of what would've been obscure evolutionary xenobiology trivia in his days, like anything at all about the Salarians or Asari.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

You have bad opinions. ME3 is complete trash. Start to finish.

ME3 is a superb third person shooter.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I would've bought the ME3 and DAI DLC by now if they ever went on sale. But it hasn't, so I haven't.
What I'm saying is it just makes logical sense to drop the price on DLC, because then more people will buy it.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

And it's on sale now. Trespasser is on sale too which is the best DLC anyway.

Oh, cool. Thanks.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Basically, whoever made the reapers was hilariously bad at programming.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Someone should do a retelling of mass effect from the point of view of a bunch of rats living in a wheat field who get nearly wiped out by a combine harvester every few generations.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The geth and quarian war is an argument against quarians, not against geth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

well like, they were in cryosleep for that 600-year journey. they're using what they had in 2185, yeah?

plus BioWare have settled on the Avenger as the "iconic" ME gun

It's quite possibly my least used mass effect gun.

It made me autistically angry whenever shepard used it in cutscenes after I just finished the mission with my 69'th totally sweet 360 quickscope sniper headshot.

• Locked thread