Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

For some reason I didn't encounter David Archer during Grissom Academy and I could've sworn that I did the paragon route in Overlord in ME2. Did anyone have the same issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Rincewind posted:

I'm kind of confused about how she was proven right when the whole theme of Mass Effect 3 was that everyone in the galaxy had to cooperate instead of looking out for number one.

Shepard asks the Council to help take back Earth, but he is denied and the council races just reinforce their own borders against the Reapers.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So I've been thinking about this for some time now and I want your opinions on it.

Do you think omni-tools can come in different colors? Like orange is the default but you can have it light up in different colors. They're like the mass effect equivalent of i-pods with swiss army knifes built in and i-pods come in all colors of the rainbow. For example, Tali's omni-tool would definitely come in purple and the Cerberus Engineer's onmi-tool would be white and gold.

Wouldn't it be cool if you could select the color of your omni-tool in your armor customization menu like selecting the color of your armor's light?

I'd go for a navy blue omni-tool if I could.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So I was going through ME3 on the XBox again and I ran into a weird bug during Priority: Palaven. At the first camp, for some reason, I couldn't unlock the the 3 weapon mods you could pick up there. I could pick up and unlock the Viper and Scimitar, but when trying to pick up the weapon mods I don't get the unlock message for them and I can't equip them at the weapon bench. I tried replaying the mission and it still happens. I even wait until the second and third time I come back to the camp to pick those 3 mods up and it still doesn't unlock. Even weirder, I could pick up and unlock the assault rifle mod and the two sniper rifle mods when you leave the camp. Does anyone else have this same problem, and are there any ways to get around it?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Sorry to derail the ending talk but I was feeling nostalgic about Mass Effect 1 and I was wondering what armor pieces in ME3 gives the closest approximation to Onyx heavy armor for a Male Shepard? (It's the one that regular Alliance soldiers wear in ME3)

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

It could also be that the Reapers were counting on refugees that escaped the harvest on their homeworlds/colonies to come to the Citadel as a safe haven since it hasn't been attacked yet. Then once it was full enough the Reapers come in, close the Citadel up and harvest everyone trapped inside.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

To anyone playing single player in ME3 on the xbox: have you tried to pick up a weapon mod on a mission but not have it unlocked? This has been happening to me and I was wondering if there was some fix for this.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Speaking of Citadel dlc, does anyone have any tips for getting the orange prize in the claw game?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Which sniper rifle do y'all like? I started with the Valliant and basically it made every other weapon, including the heavies, irrelevant.

It's a toss up between the Indra and the Viper for my soldier.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Black Milk Clothing limited-edition Mass Effect fashion for women (and crossdressers). Ladies, would you like to wear this swimsuit graced by the image of my glorious space waifu?

Oh wow, I saw those on Tumblr and thought those were photoshoped. Who would buy those?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

The N7 dress isn't awful.

I was talking about the ones with comic book pages. The N7 ones are alright.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Bholder posted:

I still don't see how the biggest problem with the ending is that Shepard dies..

He doesn't in the Destroy ending but there are people on BSN at least who wanted a more definitive presentation that he/she lives than just the breath scene.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Weren't there some notes someone revealed that the original intent for the ending was something to the tune of blackholes being caused by overuse of Mass Relays? Oh, and the Reapers wiped out civilizations just as they would've been about to reach a critical mass of necessary Relay use.

The Dark Energy plot was a possible ending where overuse of the Mass Effect would lead to stars throughout the galaxy going supernova fast because dark energy released by the Mass Effect would cause their mass to decrease. The Reapers harvested civilizations to add their intelligence to their own collective so that they may find a solution to this problem. The ending was either letting the Reapers harvest all of humanity and leave the other races alone so that our essence would help the Reapers solve the problem or destroy the Reapers and work with the surviving races to solve the dark energy problem before the galaxy implodes in on itself or something.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

That would have flied in the original ending but unfortunately there are a lot more people who like "traditional" stories and wanted to feel a sense in accomplishment by defeating the Reapers while keeping the setting intact and so Bioware made the Extended Cut to not only provide clarification to whatever was going on with the last 10 minutes but to show that the "Status Quo" was coming back; that there was no "Galactic Dark Age" as some people were visualizing and hated when they first finished it.

Edit:

I'll come out and say that I like traditional stories and that I was expecting to have the option to have a traditional ending, where Shepard defeats the Reapers and not only lives but keeps his honor intact by not sacrificing his friends or entire species. Unfortunately that was not the case and I had to sacrifice all Synthetic life to destroy the Reapers. It's been over a year and while I still hate the fact that I had to sacrifice Edi and the Geth to, in my opinion, win (which is probably what Bioware expects player who make this choice to feel) I still accept the consequence and the ending as is. But to some people they can't accept that. They want to win "the right way" so they download MEHEM or write fanfiction to have that victory.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 12, 2013

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I think sometimes that having a Prefect Ending in ME2 colored people's expectations in that if they put in enough work no one would die and you can have a flawless victory. "Because I could get everyone out of the Suicide Mission alive in ME2 by doing the loyalty missions and making the right choices I can defeat the Reapers in ME3 without making a huge sacrifice if I collect enough war assets and making the right choices throughout the trilogy."

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I wanted Shepard to live throughout the trilogy. I got attached to the guy and I didn't want him to become an immortal robot god or Space Jesus, dying for the Galaxy's sins. I got what I wanted from the Destroy ending and I'm alright with that.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Subverting expectations isn't necessarily bad, though. I mean, it's not inherently good, either, but it can be a powerful narrative tool when used properly.

Like, the bit in the original ending when the Normandy fails to outrun the relay blast is so effective because everything in you completely expects the Normandy to outrun it, so when it doesn't, it's legitimately upsetting, reflected by the triumphant-to-shocking music in the soundtrack. It's a pitch-perfect subversion of audience expectations.

But I really don't think this audience wanted their expectations subverted given the response. I know I didn't. But it's been a year and I've accepted the endings as is.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Oh my god, yeah, changing the high-EMS (everyone has high EMS) version to "Normandy triumphantly flies away from explosion" *cut to* "crash-landed Normandy" was more moronic than pretty much anything the EC set out to "clarify".

But it's not like the original was any better what with the Normandy breaking up and crashing badly on some uncharted world. Now a lot of people are hating the fact that their crew/friends/LI appear to be stranded for god knows how long. Coupled with the Stargzer scene and now there are people who think Stargazer and the kid are the offspring of your crew who never got off.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'm still pissed you never got to bring that up in your first meeting with the Council in 3.

:turianass: We are being annihilated by the Reapers on Palaven
:shepface: Ah yes, the "Reapers." I thought you had dismissed that claim? :yosbutt:

While you can't throw the :turianass: back at him, you can call him out on not listening to you. To which he just says not to hold a grudge and that there are more important things to do than to point fingers/talons at each other.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So what if I like the Destroy ending? gently caress ALL YOU HATERS! I didn't like Synthesis or Control and I wasn't forced to choose them, I hated the Catalyst and it's Reaper abomination slaves with the fury of a thousand suns, I wanted to see Reapers fall over dead, and I wanted Shepard to live. And I got all of that. So what's with all of the bitching? Last time I checked, the story wasn't coop so don't try to make others feel bad or belittle them because they made different choices from you.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 30, 2013

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

One thing that Mass Effect did well is contriving it so that no matter what you choose, you're right. So if Synthesis somehow makes sense to you - great! Pick it.

This.

Sacrifice the Council? Humanity has more ships to fight the Reapers with and those Council guys were jerks anyway.
Saved the Council? Humanity has the trust and respect of the rest of the galactic community and can count on their support to make up for their lost ships.

Saved the Collector Base? When you shut down Cerberus you get the Reaper Brain which gives more war asset points and makes the best Control ending easier to achieve.
Destroyed the Collector Base? Well Cerberus got itself indoctrinated so good job not giving them the intact base which they can use to gently caress you over. And that Reaper Heart makes getting the best Destroy ending easier.

Many choices lay ahead, most of them won't shoot you in the foot.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 30, 2013

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Why not have Zorah as the middle name? Tali Zorah (Last Name)? I know Tali can be an actual name; I think there is a character in NCIS whose name is Tali.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

Edit: Also, I'm playing through the series again, and I'm doing the cure the genophage mission, but it isn't how I remember it. I remember my very first ME3 playthrough, Wrex talked about how some Krogan will want to expand after the genophage is cured, but he won't let them and that they will focus on cleaning up Tuchanka rather than getting new territory. I have not been able to replicate this ONCE. Every other time I've done the mission Wrex has talked about how he wants a new Krogan Empire and how the council shouldn't expect them to sit around on the dump that is Tuchanka. I always thought that what decided his attitude was Eve's status and how nice Shepard has been to the Krogan, but I did that perfectly this playthrough and he's still talking about expansion. What is the deciding factor in Wrex's attitude here?

Wrex doesn't change his attitude regarding colonies. I think you are remembering conversations wrong. Wrex talks about quelling any Krogran who want to get revenge on the Salarians/Turians/start a war with the rest of the Galaxy after the Genophage is cured on the Normandy. He talks about getting some colonies during the ride to the Shroud as a way to plant doubt into the player if they really trust Wrex, Eve, and the rest of the Krogran to not repeat the past and start a second Krogan Rebellion. If you chose the paragon response when he starts talking about it, he nonchalantly says that they are going to need a new world (or ten) when they start reproducing since Trchanka isn't in the best of conditions (though you will see from the ruins and plants growing that it can get better). If you chose the renegade response, Wrex goes into the new Krogran Empire stuff.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 17, 2014

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Just out of curiosity, is Ashley or Kaiden alive in your play through?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

Even with all the cool renegade options and the like, I've never reacted faster to a prompt in the entire series than I have to the "Don't date the loving ship AI you loving creep" dialogue option.

Plus I really liked the whole platonic flirting relationship between her and Joker and ME2, they had a nice His Girl Friday thing going on, and then in typical Bioware fashion rather than character development they stuck her in a SEXBOT BODY.

IMO, I like them as just friends like another potential couple.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I thought Omega was alright. I didn't have too much of a problem with Aria, and it was nice to see a female Turian. But I guess I liked it more than other players because I liked the combat, I thought fighting in Omega was nice, and I really wanted to gently caress Cerberus' poo poo up.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 26, 2014

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Trast posted:

Kasumi owns and I think some people hate her because she wasn't some kawaii space ninja cliche. :colbert:

I liked Kasumi too. I was disappointed you couldn't convince her that she was safer from being caught by rejoining the Normandy and that her skills extended more than just thievery.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I guess the Krogan leave the Blood pack when the Geophage is cured and fight for Wrex/Wreave and the Vorcha are left to run themselves

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I think the Codex for the Citadel Coup hints that Udina's plan was to have Cerberus assassinate the Council, which would give him final say in where the Citadel Fleets go, and then use that fleet to tack back Earth. He couldn't deal with having Earth burn while Shepard takes time trying to get help because the Council won't lend aid, and turned to Cerberus to help him save Earth.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Shepard doesn't even have to die. He is heavily implied to live in the High EMS Destroy Ending. Whether he bleeds out or is found and recovers is up to headcanon.

As for me. I hate the Catalyst and its Reaper abominations, Control and Synthesis have zero appeal to me, and I want Shepard to kill all the Reapers and live with Tali in a home on Rannoch. It sucks that the Geth and Edi die, but I believe they will be honored by the rest of the galaxy by making a future that won't tear itself apart like that guddam pop up keeps spewing. Heavy Sci-fi themes like transcendence and transhumanism have no appeal to me. I like shooting dudes in space.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 1, 2014

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

See I did the opposite with the Quarians. Shepard told them he was happy they were taking their homeworld back, that things would probably be better if their ancestors did manage to defeat the Geth, planned with them to go on the offensive when the Reaper Signal went out, then told Grell he made the right choice but should have let him know ahead of time.

Dude shoulder checks Tali on the way out. Come on man, I'm on your side here! :negative:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Unormal posted:

I just imagine that at the very end you're hallucinating out your rear end due to indoctrination, so you can imagine whatever actually good ending you want was going on under Shepard tripping-the-gently caress-out. Just imagine the whole thing is a big reaper-induced-fever-dream trying to stop you from hitting Destroy and it works better, imo.

I just imagine Sheaprd not remembering anything after the confrontation with TIM due to his injuries. As far as he and anyone else knows, Shepard pushed a button and all the Reapers died, including the Geth and Edi due to their connection to Reaper tech.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 2, 2014

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So really if the Quarians would just stop being assholes we wouldn't have this problem.

Actually, if the Quarians won then we wouldn't have this problem.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

They could have kept the beginning of 2 just fine, except after Freedom's Progress you tell Tim no thanks and try to rejoin the Alliance. Alliance doesn't trust you so then you have no choice but to work with Cerberus. Pretty simple to do and then you don't have to handwave away why Shep is working with a rogue black-ops group who experiments on colonists and kills admirals for shits and giggles.

You could sort of do this by immediately going to the Citadel to talk to the Council, but they still don't believe you about the Reapers and since they can't take decisive action in the Terminus Systems you kinda have to work with Cerberus.

edit:

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know about anybody else but my Shepard NEVER worked for Cerberus. They gave me a ship and I flew straight back to the Citadel, got my Spectre status reinstated, then used that ship to do what I wanted re: the Collector menace. Every so often TIM gave me information about poo poo going on and I acted on it, but he wasn't my Boss and I frequently told him so and refused him access to things he wanted.

Same.

My Shepard had the Spacer and Sole Survivor background so he had the perfect combination of "gently caress Cerberus and everything they stand for."

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Rincewind posted:

Speaking of the Leviathan DLC, when did we all agree was the best time in ME3 to play it? It's been so long since I've played ME3 I forgot when it makes the most sense to do it.

For me, I start it after the Monastery mission since it introduces the Banshee and the first shooting mission of Leviathan has Banshees in it. Then I do the investigation stuff and missions in between other missions up until Anne Bryson lets herself be controlled to locate Leviathan, then I do Thessia and Sanctuary right after the other since Hackett, post Sanctuary, says something like "I didn't think taking a detour to Sanctuary would turn up anything" like Sheprad should have been looking for Leviathan since the Crucible has hit a dead end due to Cerberus' interference. Then I do the last mission, then the Citadel DlC to give everyone a breather (especially Shepard after his encounter with Leviathan) while the Alliance prepares to take out Cerberus HQ.

I also start Omega right after the Cerberus Coup since it's like Shepard's counter-attack to Cerberus.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 4, 2014

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Kegluneq posted:

gently caress the destroy ending for (apparently) killing off EDI and the geth without any acknowledgement though. The geth were taking an active role in rehabilitating the quarians for life on Rannoch and none of the EDI dialogue foreshadows her death. Nothing in the EC destroy ending suggests anyone is sorry about them being gone, even Joker. One possible tweak could have been to say that any AI sufficiently close to organic life in pattern (i.e. the geth after the upload, or EDI after receiving the Power Of Love from Joker/Shepard :shepface:) could survive the blast. I guess that would have made for too good an ending for all involved?

"A future paid for by the sacrifices of those who fought and died beside us. A future many will never see."

"And we will honor those who died to give us that future."

Not to mention that EDI and Legion appear on the Normandy Memorial Wall alongside the faceless crew of the first Normandy, anyone in the ME2 squad who died, Anderson, and Shepard.

IMO, loss of synthetics is counted among the many who died in the overall war to destroy the Reapers, just not explicitly said, and will be remembered and honored by the galaxy.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 9, 2014

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Kegluneq posted:

My impression was that the significant other who usually puts Shepard's name up doesn't in the good Destroy ending. I don't know if they do if Shepard doesn't survive. Either way, at that point they're marooned on an alien world and may not know if she's been found or not. The monologue doesn't really help though.

If you don't have the EMS score to get the Shepard breath scene, they do in fact put the name up on the wall. And, to me at least, it's not like they know for sure Shepard is alive, it's that they strongly feel that he's not dead, and with the Shepard breath scene, there is hope that Shepard and their LI/crew will reunite.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Why can't I just kill the Reapers and use their leftover tools as I see fit?

Control is about Shepard using the Reapers to what he/she feels is right, whether it's giving the many a voice or giving a strong leader to destroy any who threaten the many, why can't the "gently caress you dad" aspect of the Destroy ending be, "gently caress the Reapers and Catalyst, we can build our own future where won't destroy ourselves like that popup kept spewing. And in this future we are going to include the relays and Citadel, but they will be built and earned by our own hands, and used the way we want them to be used, not used like those Reaper fucks want them to be used."

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

JawKnee posted:

before the reveal I was certain they were gonna make them look like the traditional greys, but I guess the salarians have that role filled already

Turns out the Quarians were the real Space Elves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I didn't have that much of a problem with the picture. Honestly, I liked what Tali was behind the mask and I was glad Bioware went with the Space Elf look. But I would prefer the Quarians to still wear masks because I they are cooler with their masks on. Like the Helghast.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 10, 2014

• Locked thread