Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

WhiteHowler posted:

The behaviorist I was working with when we got Kepler legit told us to yelp like a dog when he bites. She said yes, it feels silly, but no other method she's ever tried has worked as well with as many different dogs.

He was never super-bitey with us, but we tried it, and the behavior stopped pretty fast.

Adding to this, when I had this problem with my puppy it helped to physically act the part, act like it really hurt and stop playing for a while, hide your face and turn away. She was super into biting until I tried this and she figured it out immediately

E:

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

it's mainly during play time it's an issue.

Yeah that souds very familiar

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I got out of the habit of pet posting and recently that incredible little dog passed away so, y'know. Coping mechanisms, grief and stuff.
e: on a more positive note

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 6, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Harvey Mantaco posted:

What a beautiful smile.

That's Gabriel, he's a cool little guy but he's been in a shelter/foster situation for over a year so he's not as cheerful as he is in that picture. We're getting there though :)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

lifetime fan of them yeah

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hell yeah :thumbsup:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LochNessMonster posted:

You can just see the happiness pour out of the sweet little fella.

Condolences.

Oh no, I've made it confusing, sorry!

This dog, Darla, is the one who passed away (and yes, she was an amazingly joyful friend):

This is Gabriel, who I am in the process of adopting and is very much alive:

e: heck while I'm here: Gabriel is very introverted, he was in a shelter/rescue situation for about a year. He has a cosmetic birth defect called "cow hocks" where his rear legs are splayed out and I guess people are very picky about that poo poo :shrug:
This is his fourth day with me now and he's just getting willing to come out of his crate and approach me if I do this kind of looney toons poo poo:

He seems pretty well house trained and he figured out the dog door almost immediately. He's still pretty locked up emotionally but I've been just stuffing his face with delicious yummies and I can see steady progress, I think he'll be fine. It bums me out that he was in the rescue for so long when he's such a gorgeous and sweet natured dog :confused:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 6, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Gabriel had a stellar couple of days and is now pretty cool about following me around the house and walking outside, I'm so happy for him. I wasn't expecting him to get this comfortable for weeks.

that pic shows what I mean about his legs being cow-hocked. he's not great at running and he can't really jump at all but that's fine, I'm not any better

e: his tail is majestic

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

He seems to move around just fine, he even stood up on his hind legs a bit earlier to nuzzle my hand :3

From what I have read cow hock is an issue in bigger dogs (German Shepherds are prone to this due to breeding for a specific gait for show dogs) because it can lead to hip dysplasia but for small dogs it seems to be mostly cosmetic. The rescue's vet said it shouldn't be a big deal.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 8, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

a strange fowl posted:

this is wonderful :unsmith: he looks so chill and curious about his surroundings for someone who's just been through the trauma of adoption. you're doing such a good thing, gabriel is a very lucky scruffling and i think he knows.

He was in the rescue for something like 9 months (probably in a kennel alone most of the time) and then in a foster home for about 3 months, which is just so crazy to me because he's such a great looking and good natured dog :confused: He's actually getting playful and a bit bouncy, which I didn't expect so quickly - the foster home he was in had two other dogs, one of them a lot bigger (Standard Schnauzer) and one of them A LOT BIGGER (golden doodle) and both of them very energetic playful types so I think he's probably glad to not be the runt any more :)

He's barely trained at all, no basic obedience stuff or anything beyond very basic house training, but he has super good manners and takes food very politely and I can tell he's pretty smart, he caught on to the dog door almost immediately, so I am pretty sure I can fix everything else.

e: my elderly miniature schnauzer Eric (he's around 14) has a very similar disposition, very laid back, non competitive, very sweet, so they get along well

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 9, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Big milestones for Gabriel:
- he barked (he's been utterly silent for an entire week)
- he's trotting and running with his tail up and is even a little playful at times
- he let me trim his face

Very rapidly becoming a totally normal little dude!

both of them walked in the same yard at the same time, how is Eric such a magnet for filth :negative:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dacap posted:

the rescue recommended

rescues are run by random people who sometimes have odd ideas about stuff. the rescue I just dealt with "doesn't like harnesses" :confused:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

a strange fowl posted:

for the past few weeks iris has been springing awake at about 4am every morning and spending the next ~3 hours repeatedly nudging me awake while i yell at her in despair. every morning. she doesn't need to wee, if i get up and put her outside she just looks at me and acts like the day has begun. if i don't get up, she just keeps trying and trying. somebody please tell me this is just a phase, i already have enough trouble sleeping and this is driving me insane

I don't want to bum you out too much but some day she's going to grow out of this and you will miss it terribly.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Teaching Gabriel the basic stuff like Touch, Sit, and Down - I just got him to lay down by gesture only, the first several times I led him into it with a treat. Happy my little dude is turning out to be a smart guy after all. He has decided that sleeping on the bed with me is Very Cool, which is something I like, and last night he got really playful and was jumping up and down on the bed just like a child, it was adorable :kimchi:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That's a good looking little dude

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Look at this rear end in a top hat lmao

e: have discovered that Gabriel likes apples

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jun 17, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

honestly can not believe he sat in a rescue for a YEAR wtf

listed on Petfinder the whole time!

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 17, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I love poodles for so many aspects but yeah maintaining their coat is such a massive pain in the rear end
and yeah those photos are :kiss:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I actually envy you. Freja fights me on every walk the last 3 days, even little 10 min jaunts around the apartment complex and she's lagging behind me trying to turn around and go back upstairs. I get she's only 3 months old, but she was so excited for short walks a week ago and she's over it entirely already.

She also doesn't like peanut butter the freak. That's actually worse than my wife who only likes smooth peanut butter.

Cream cheese is a good alternative!

Very cool milestone for Gabriel last night: one of my co-residents came home from being out of town for about 6 days, and Gabriel had only interacted with her maybe 5 times before that - not only did he give her a friendly greeting (she had treats, no surprise) he rolled over and invited her to rub his tummy too :kimchi:

He's also getting the zoomies like a big dorky puppy lol

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's 3am. do you know where your bone is? (it's in your mouth)

was trying to go to bed and was kinda wishing he wouldn't take the bone to bed with him. he thought this was hilarious and extremely fun (that's why his tail is a blur)

e: he just came in from outside (dog door) and was bumping my chair a bit while rolling his face into ... this

gosh thanks Gabriel, yeah I love rotten worms too, you're too generous :gonk:

he really brought it right up to me, put it on the floor and started mashing his face into it :gonk:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 21, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I thanked him for it and gave him a huge chunk of dried chicken as a trade

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

ahahahahahaa

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I know there's a little bit of risk in this situation but I'm not gonna discourage it :kimchi:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

you should probably take that dog to the vet ASAP if you can possibly afford it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Good luck :ohdear:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Head Bee Guy posted:

My folks recently adopted a lovely lab-esque mutt named Tracey. She's quite well behaved (will sit on command and comes when called most of the time) for a rescue and seems like she comes from a relatively trauma-free past. However, she's taken to barking at night, seemingly at nothing. It's nearly impossible to find the trigger, so I'm unsure of where to start here. Any suggestions? Books or articles?

This is really common and not exactly a bad thing with dogs in a new place - imo it means they've accepted your home is HOME and it is more important to guard home and warn you of bad stuff/warn away enemies than it is to stay silent and hidden. The really basic cause is anxiety, so whatever you do, don't raise her anxiety by things like yelling or anything. Time spent with nothing bad happening helps a lot, teaching calmness during the day helps a lot too. This is the kind of stuff I did back when I adopted Darla and she had this problem with really high excitement for a good while:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wesm2OpE_2c

e: I should point out, Gabriel is in this phase himself although he's older, he started out way more introverted and much less excitable than Darla was but it's still pretty clearly the same behavior and I think the cause is the same

e: oh cool she still makes videos, here's a more modern version of that same video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr1olzgidMw

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 26, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

hope you like slobber!

Today in Totally Normal Dog Having: We had pasta and I gave Gabriel a noodle. He carried it around in his mouth very proudly for. THIRTY. MINUTES.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I feed my dudes Taste of the Wild, they have a bunch of grain free types:
https://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/taste-of-the-wild/grain-free/

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Taste of the Wild actually offers samples if you want to just try a little bit first:
https://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/faq-posts/taste-wild-offer-samples/

Probably there are other higher-quality dog foods out there that do too, this is just what I use :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Nice! Strongly advise you to get a set of clippers and learn the basics of how to groom a dog because that is a very high maintenance dog there and he already needs to be groomed!
e: not saying anything unfriendly or bad about how he looks, he looks great, I'm just telling you big poodles' hair grows crazy, crazy fast and trying to take him to a groomer to keep it under control is going to wreck you financially

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 10, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

cumpantry posted:

we got an appointment coming up with this awesome groomer who has like 1000 ratings of 4.6, very excited to let them take care of the maintenance because you said it forge, he needs it!

some crash course stuff you might want to do ahead of that to make it less stressful for him is just really basic "being handled is cool" stuff, stick yummy treats in his face while touching his face, touching his paws, things like that. things you are probably already doing :)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

On the topic of grooming, Gabriel had his first trip to the groomer a couple of days ago, some before and after pics:

he has this semi fortunate behavior that he gets extremely passive when anyone touches his body and he goes completely limp when picked up. I'm not really sure if this is good or bad, he doesn't avoid being touched or picked up and he immediately goes back to being a bouncy little dude that gets the zoomies etc so it doesn't seem like fear but it's very strange, even if it's super convenient for the groomer

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mine are indoors 99% of the time and in the shade for almost all the rest so it doesn't matter a whole lot to me (Texas hot weather).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah if anyone starts talking about "dominance" or variations on that, that's bad training advice. I started with the same bad notions a long time ago (Cesar Milan's popular show at the time was a big factor) and it was profoundly unhelpful. Mine! is a good book.

Volcano posted:

We also basically don't try to get anything off him at all now unless it's definitely dangerous to him or very valuable, in which case there's a whole routine where one person distracts him out of the room by "accidentally" dropping a trail of treats and then the other person retrieves the item out of his sight.

Another form of this is teaching "Trade", it's not really any different in concept

https://resources.bestfriends.org/article/how-teach-dog-trade
https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/behavior/resource-guarding/trading-with-your-dog-to-combat-resource-guarding/

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 11, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It takes time and patience and calmness, above all don't make it stressful to the point where the dog runs away because that makes it dramatically harder to fix, for a lot of reasons.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That's a good start, I'd like to see more :hmmyes:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

no you use the hammer to flatten the bumps, it is like working on a car

e: bone

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't agree about the comforting thing, I have a little guy who has been utterly terrified of thunder and fireworks for 13 solid years now and the couple of spans where I tried simply ignoring it definitely just made it worse for him. Comforting them when they're obviously afraid is fine and humane, the way you'd comfort a crying baby. I guess in theory this could "reinforce the behavior" but the behavior is a manifestation of the dog's emotional state, it's not a trick he learned to make you pet him. My old dude will actually want me to pick him up and hold him on my lap during fireworks or a thunderstorm but he hates being picked up under any other circumstances.

The way you do it matters I think, it's better to be reassuring and calm in the way you handle them rather than like, making sad noises yourself as some people are inclined to do. If you can interact with him and keep his attention even with simple poo poo like walking with you inside your home or any kind of play that helps a lot.

I don't have any opinion about Thundershirt, I've never used it before.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Brisket was a very good boy this weekend!
The board n train said they focused on something called "self soothing" and one of those prong collars because he's both incredibly anxious and stubborn.

This would be such a huge red flag for me. I'm not an expert trainer, I'm just some guy on the internet but I don't think those words go together at all.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That somebody would just do that without talking to you about it first feels like an even bigger red flag :shrug:
I know you love your dog but man I would flip if I were in your shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mine have full access to outdoors but I'm home 98% of the time.