Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Rogue Elephant posted:

Cross posting cause not only does Peter King not write well about terrible coffee, he doesn't quite grasp grammar.

We are not talking about an intelligent man, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Deadspin had an article up today about calculating readability of our "favorite" sports reporters.

That's a thing.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Pretty much why I didn't opine on it- FK is periodically used in my field and I fight the urge to make a jerk-off motion with my hand every time I hear about it.

As much as the writers suck, the article is funny because it's basically a horseshit latte of confirmation bias, something often decried by critics of terrible sports journalists.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

Sean Newell is the loving worst. (Not that he wrote the article, I just hate reading anything he writes for Deadspin and it seemed relevant)

Also Flesch-Kincaid seems like it measures something that's difficult to quantify ("readability") so it's not surprising to find out that it doesn't do a good job of it. :v:

It's almost entirely horseshit, considering that copula deletion, implied semantic data and idiom isn't measured by the equation. Thank loving Christ I don't have to conform to a certain value at work.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

MonsterWalk posted:

Dude, I know!

Actually, I don't know. I'm super dumb but it's sounds pretty neat. What exactly do you do?

I review electronics online for a tiny subsidiary of a major newsmedia corporation that recently upturned its stock value. I don't like crossing my SA and real-life wires, even though SA got me the job in the first place.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

/\/\/\Pull out, then spray.

Blackula69 posted:

Great, consistent writing usually involve great editors - gonad and ham can maybe back me up on this. The problem with Peter king and magary's recent deadspin stuff is that neither of them are edited much, if at all.

A good editor can trim fat and help a writer focus their ideas - two things which king entirely lacks. A ton of columnists get huge heads about their own writing and can get all pissy when something is changed. I was responsible for changing the tense in a sentence in a national columnist's work and he was actively hostile to me for a week - and he wrote it wrong.

Complacency is terrible in every industry and for every professional. Peter King is the perfect example, as is the difference between drew's web stuff and his GQ pieces. Just because you have a clear, defined voice doesn't mean you don't need a swift kick in the rear end every so often

Pretty much, although to add on that: Much of the Gawker Media looks to me like there are a lot of writers/interns/whatever and very few editors, because sometimes the dumbest loving stories (and flat-out wrong ones) get published. In journalism and many other industries, staffing is the #1 expense related to content or "product", and Gawker seems to mitigate this huge expense by reducing oversight.

Compare that to Al-Jazeera, which has utterly insane oversight and fact checking, and you'll see the difference in the level of reporting that is produced.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Rap posted:

I just learned that my NEW HERO Mike Florio linked to one of my articles!! I lvoe you mark florida

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/05/cox-thomas-facing-civil-suit-over-alleged-rape/
Yep ham wrote the courthouse news story. Please forgive appearance as I don't make the website or spend the 4 seconds creating the image that slips by copyright laws

I feel this legitimizes Florio entirely and he's now the best writer in footbal.

Every day I thank God that Florio will never link or reference any of my articles ever.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Chichevache posted:

I think his analogy is the worst.

"Matt Forte isn't being paid by the Bears. So he... should... start his own football team?"

We're not talking about the brightest individual here, apparently. Did he write this on a loving iPhone?

You're = you + are
your = you + POSS

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 7, 2012

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Writing owns, commenters suck.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

/\/\/\ I've heard worse, but that is a little :psyduck:

The Incredible Ed posted:

My stuff gets into the newspaper every once in a while, and the comments on AJC.com made me want to quit forever.

My favorite commenters are the ones who rail against scientific fact, and use that to "prove" you wrong.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Frot Lesnar posted:

I like the ones who are anti-science then say something and back it up by going "jst my opinion BUT ALSO A FACT"

I often dream of publishing an article entitled "Logic for losers" that covers why their comments are useless and they are dumb.

But then I wake up.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Despite reporting in a field completely unrelated to football, I get to do a bunch of pieces on fantasy this year for a major newspaper :dance:

defiantgiant posted:

EDIT:
Double points for a real journalist not knowing the difference between plural and possessive.

Every time I see this my eyes immediately glaze over.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

nrr posted:

I think what is super hard is actually becomming a high profile sports journalist to begin with. Then from there, the ridiculously insanely hard part is still being a decent, respectable journalist while you're paid no matter what tripe you put out. It's like being told pants are optional and showing up to work in pants every day anyway. It's gotta be tough to continue to adhere to a standard while the majority of your target market is either drunk and/or doesn't know poo poo about what you're talking about anyway.

Without knowing a single journalist or having any real knowledge on the field, to me, the real problem here is the inherant target market of recreational journalism. Not that major "serious" news companies put out a decent product overall, but there still remains quality journalism within their ranks. When you look at recreational journalism like sport and video games though, (and to a lesser extent, tourism,) trying to find a well written, well sourced article without bias or spin is way more of a challenge than it should be. At least looking at it from a journalism perspective. I'm starting to think a lot of these guys don't really think of themselves as "journalists" any more though.

If Al-Jazeera put together a good sports page, I'd be overjoyed.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

I think a more accurate term would be "evenly" instead of "fairly"

Either that or "without bias."

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Rap posted:

Nobody click this link for any reason

Whew. Thanks for the warning- dodged a bullet there.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

swickles posted:

*gives no examples, evidence, or elaboration.

To be fair, this happens in most organizations in the US that consider themselves "news" outlets.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Rap posted:

That's true and I do wonder about the legality of comments sections. If you provide a forum online, and someone commits libel on the forum you're hosting, do you share any legal responsibility for it? It seems like the answer is no, since I've never seen a suit, but there would be grounds to argue...

For my publication at least, we are to ban the user/delete the comment, alert the next highest rung in the chain of command, and then... a thing... happens. Maybe.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 10, 2013

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Gendo posted:

... slow your roll sportswriters.

But... hyperbole! Sexy Headlines! Sell ads! Sell issues! Money money money!

I know it would make for boring news, but Christ I wish Al-Jazeera had a sports section with more stuff on American leagues.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

I had to permanently mute Cimini because people kept retweeting his awfulness into my timeline. I wish I saved this quote but someone a couple years ago said that the Jets have the most miserable core of beat guys of any team on the planet (i.e., not the people like Jenny or Conor Orr that rotated through for a season or two and moved onto less green pastures).

After reading a couple more blurbs from Cimini, I believe you. I just... drat.

He really doesn't want to stop making fun of McKnight right now and it's totally out of line.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

Robinson is also faster than Tebow, doesn't bring the off-the-field poo poo that Tebow does (which, even though his teammates may dig his leadership, is ultimately a distraction and takes away from the team as a whole), is younger (and therefore has more upside), and is on a cheaper contract than Tebow. And as Rap said, he's already willing to lineup in the backfield/as a wide receiver/as a kick returner in addition to taking snaps at QB which Tebow has shown reluctance to do.

I can't imagine a world where I would rather have Tim Tebow on my NFL roster than Denard Robinson.

Bizarro world.

I'm anxious to see if Tebow gets cut before the 75-man roster trimdown in favor of a fourth TE or extra OL.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Toaster Beef posted:

Twitter's just about the worst possible format for me to try and make any kind of coherent statement, since I tend to be long-winded. I handle that not by being more succinct and concise, but by sending out multitudes of sequential Tweets like a crazy person.

I'm bad at Twitter.

People often tell me that my articles are too dense and a tad long, but sometimes there just isn't a good way to convey meaning without specificity. I wouldn't worry about it. Screw being ineffective for the sake of brevity.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

haljordan posted:

Yeah now imagine you're a fan of the team who lost to the "putrid" Patriots.

It sustains me. I feed on morsels of misery to grow as a bad person.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Oh my god nobody cares.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Anals of History posted:

I want Clowney to invite out King and everyone else writing about him for a workout. Videotape everyone going through his weight training, plyometics, speed, endurance, etc. regimen and post it to Youtube. That would help end the scourge of work ethic articles for at least a year or two.

It'd make for some great YouTubes of talking heads puking, too.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

sweet thursday posted:

Well the thing I hate about football is there's too many testicles

Eunuchball

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

CONGRATATION Y'ALL

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

This thread makes me appreciate my company more and more.

Holy dogballs I would throw a shitfit if I had to do native content/advertorials.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Jay Carney posted:

Oh cool, this thread exists.

I'm leaving today to cover the super bowl for the week. Was thinking about making a "superbowl week through the eyes of a sad alcoholic tv producer," thread but wanted to gauge interest.

edit: interest, do any of you have.

Sup industry buddy.

Just be sure you're not breaking company policy or whatever. SA ain't worth losing jobs over.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Thank you for posting that so I don't have to give my precious, precious clix.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

So, here's an important thing that should be talked about : AP bots to assume some sports journalism duties.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Aubergine Mage posted:

The AP does this for business stories that rely on tons of numbers and data, this isn't really a big deal.

Not yet, but I'm waiting for the first NDA to be broken, or argument error to kick off a twitter meltdown.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Kalli posted:

You'd think at some point you'd double check which one line writeup you were posting:

They were just hedging their bets and hoping people only looked at the headline.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

ESPN never got back to me about using their partnership with Disney to have :stat: and :wal: call games.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

He's a nobody now.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

"In plain site"

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Anaranjado posted:

Mike florio: a Spicy Italian.

Would not mind someone giving Florio the ol' spicy keychain

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

Is this the thread where we discuss how much PFTCommenter owns?

We absolutely can

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Can we sit down as a society and appreciate the fact that PFTCommenter is now directly influencing electoral politics.

Yes and I love it.

Revealing the truth that Jeb Bush is pro-infanticide

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

A friend of mine is one of the dudes "protesting" with him in the pictures from Milwaukee and is giving me an extra "I am a Internet Commenter and I Vote" shirt.

That's awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I dunno, that was a fun Christmas present.

• Locked thread