Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

Merril Hodge had his career ended and nearly died because of concussions (which he later successfully sued the poo poo out of the Bears for mishandling), and he somehow still got all self-righteous about the Kurt Warner thing.

I don't pay attention to ESPN more than I need to if I want to watch whatever game they're showing. I assumed Hoge would be the guy swimming upstream on the issue, that's terrible :(

Insert bad joke about Hoge no longer being coherent here I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It's really too easy to rip on Peter King, especially in this somewhat dishonest fashion. But this amused me:

quote:

Fun vacation. Strange coincidence.

My wife and I went to Dachau

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
You think the guy calling someone 'loving idiotic' while representing their website and brand is right? I do agree that I thought I was looking at deadspin at first when I was reading that.

There's no good guy here in my opinion.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Declan MacManus posted:

Jason Whitlock is good at three things: Eating ribs, stumping for Jeff George, and laying down burns on his fellow "reporters"

That's about it

He's surprisingly entertaining on the radio too. Of course he manages to burn enough bridges not to have his own show anymore but I could listen to his barber talk about Tebow for hours.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

midwat posted:

"For weed" should be branded on the forehead of anyone who writes about Hernandez's "multiple failed drug tests."

I don't know how true this is but I'd think the type of people who feel like that was some precursor to murder probably know it was pot and don't care at all. They'd still make a bigger deal out of it if it was heroin or something, but to them it's just different flavors of the same kind of wrong.

That or they're just writing terrible things to make people talk. Since I'm not going to click that link who wrote it by the way?

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 2, 2013

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Rap posted:

Nobody editorializes worse than Rotoworld:
I don't mind the "Aaron Hernandez is a bad guy" poo poo before a conviction, because these are sports reporters we're talking about. But that last line, Jesus Christ. A private letter directly to a team, offering to make extraordinary accommodations, apparently unprompted. How is he a bad guy in this case exactly?

This almost reads like the guy writing just mixed up duplicity with duality. I could even believe that was the case if everyone writing stuff today wasn't looking to pile on (an obviously guilty) Hernandez.

Ehud posted:

Is Fox Sports included in most TV packages now?

Fox Sports is taking over the old Speed channels that no one ever watched but were included in basic cable a lot of places anyway. I guess that makes it more of a threat than NBC Sports, but I don't have any idea if it'll be worth watching at all. I do know hockey folks are pissed that they stole their favorite Sportscentre guys.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I always thought the KC Star was decent, although I can't claim that I've bothered too much with local TV. They recently put up a paywall which I applaud if it keeps them alive but since I'm incredibly cheap it means I just don't go there anymore :(

That supplemental draft article is amazing, I can't figure out if I like the pick forfeited or the trade explained before the - pass better.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

St1cky posted:

With the kind of resources and access to the NFL Peter King has, you would think he could write an interesting football article. Of course, his target audience can probably relate to some of the many "problems" and "interesting things" in his life.

Peter King fills a niche for people who can't follow football as much as they would like or aren't as crazy as we are here. One of my buddies teaches overseas and is broke/frugal enough that his exposure to the NFL is basically streaming a Chiefs game most weeks and reading MMQB. I've talked to him several times about how terrible King is but it's still a way for him to kill some time and sort of keep up with things. He realizes he's an idiot but still enjoys it, I don't know.

On the bright side I got him reading Tanier's weekly previews last year at least.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I stumbled across this glancing at the AFC West blog on ESPN:

quote:

There are a lot of exciting changes in the works concerning ESPN.com’s NFL coverage.

It has begun in the AFC West with the addition of Jeff Legwold. He will cover the Denver Broncos. For now, Jeff’s coverage will be presented on this blog. That means I will no longer write about the Broncos. That’s now Jeff’s territory.

We will soon have reporters for the other three teams in the division. For now, though, my contributions to this blog will concentrate on the Chiefs, Raiders and Chargers.

It kinda sounds like ESPN is just going to hire their own beat writers for every team. I want to think this comes out of a desire to improve their coverage but because it's ESPN part of my brain won't stop screaming that it's just a way to avoid crediting anyone else on any NFL story ever (while still stealing said stories from other people) :tinfoil:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Rap posted:

Legwold jumped over from the Denver Post, he was a pretty well-established staff writer and the Broncos beat reporter. So at least they got a qualified guy.

Yeah his early entries are a lot more detailed than the other little blurbs on the blog, so it might be pretty nice when they get the whole thing in place.

And that actually does make me feel a little better Kalli, I did realize I was probably being overly worried/critical of ESPN anyway. Not that they haven't earned that reaction.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It basically boils down to 'the whites will leave and then it'll be just terrible and no one will like it' right? My eyes just slid off the screen half in.

Yeah mine kind of did the same thing when I saw Costas in the still part on the trailer.

I swear he used to be respectable in some fashion, but it's getting harder to remember that every year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--as to that boxing training (while not actually seriously boxing) is becoming at least somewhat popular again from a few things I've read.

Ribsauce posted:

I do have a question. Did wealthy people ever take up boxing or was it always a poor sport? I was just thinking about how I did not know a single kid who boxed. I was wondering if football was heading the same way.

I think there was a larger percentage of somewhat well to do people boxing like in the 20s to 40s or so. And well beyond that if we include amateur organizations like Golden Gloves or whatever. But the mob certainly wasn't able to move in to the sport so easily because there were a bunch of rich people who were successful at boxing.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 31, 2013

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

Yeah, I think the Best Teams of All Time stuff are really funny. Like yeah, the 07 Pats would dominate a lot of teams playing in today's game. But if the 2007 Pats had to play the 1978 Steelers in 1978, they would get obliterated.

I don't know, I think there is something to be said for the development of schemes on both sides of the ball that might make up for the rule changes between then and now. Assuming you have '07 coaches against '78 coaches there's a lot of innovation involved there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

Yeah true, so the run game would be better. But in an era where going across the middle was a death sentence, do you really think some of the high powered offenses of today would hold up in those playing conditions?

If you're entertaining size difference between then and now it's more important that the run game would stop, like completely for Pittsburgh. Being able to legally decapitate a guy on D running a crossing route probably wouldn't make up for that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

My point is that a pass heavy offense that relies on crossing routes wouldn't fare well in the 70's. Just like how the run heavy teams of then wouldn't fare well in today's game. My point is that given all these various simulations and comparisons made, there is just too much to take into account. Like if you are going to say that Pats today would change to a power running game, then why couldn't the Steelers similarly bulk there players up and have the training and facilities of today? If you are going to allow for any changes, its only fair to allow for the past teams to also have some adaptations and advantages of the modern era, otherwise whats the point. The 0-16 Lions would dominate any SB champ from before 1980-something.

This kind of goes back to my original point about the innovations on both sides of the ball as far as scheming goes, those Steelers would never have seen a 46 defense, teams were completely clueless on how to block a guy like LT when he first came into the game and going through that happened to improve protection in general, the idea of spreading the field horizontally might have existed but wasn't well explored, and so on.

I don't know, I guess I agree that a modern offense would change quite a bit if you plopped it down in the 70s. It would be interesting to see though.

Actually I'm probably most excited about the thought of Brady begging for flags.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cruel and Unusual posted:

There's no shame in predicting a Lions loss in the NFC Championship Game.

True enough, if you put the 2012 Chiefs in the AFC Championship Game they would have lost the hell out of that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DasNasty posted:

He didn't even own up to misquoting his father-in-law, he flat out said "I quoted him correctly."

Geez, Rick, given your track record of integrity so far, I wonder why people would doubt you.

Eh, he's going to play the angle that his father in law lied about being misquoted without actually coming out and saying it. It's really about all he can do other than just be like "Yup, I did it. Fire me if you want."

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Rick Reilly still on TV. Good job ESPN.

Is that little throwaway non-apology really the only thing that's going to come out of that?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Febreeze posted:

I wonder how one gets a job illustrating for bad ESPN articles

For that particular job you'd have to at least scan TMQ. It isn't worth it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think the guy running the contest was one of the ones who favored a separation of douche and evil, and it is kind of his thing. But anyway I'd expect Hernandez and Sharper to qualify for the Sandusky clause where they're automatically in the evil bastard wing of the douche hall of fame.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Against my better judgement I clicked on a bleacher report link about which teams someone thought were screwed by the new schedule. I mean they've been bought out and masquerading as legit for quite a while now, maybe the writing has improved or something?

It was a slide show. Nice job BR.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Its Miller Time posted:

I was musing about today about how bad football commentary is. Can you name a single commentator or writer who actually discusses the strategy that goes on in a a game? What schemes the teams generally run, how they appear to have schemed for the game, how they countered each other and adjusted within the game, what plays they ran, why they ran them, how things are evolving or changed. FO gets there with some play-by-play analysis but it's exceedingly rare for how large the sport is.

Jaws of all people used to be pretty good about this type of thing when he was new to TV, not in the detail you're talking about but they'd give him a full segment now and then on whatever NFL show and he'd break down a bunch of stuff pretty nicely. Now he's either willingly bought into the hot take bullshit or just gets used for it like the Kaepernick thing which is kind of sad in either case.

Smart football can be good, but most of their best stuff is just explaining general schemes/strategy or history of the game things instead of current analysis.

I'd imagine part of the problem is watching film constantly to note tendencies and looking for any possible advantage for one team over another is really loving boring unless you absolutely love the game. And if you love it that much and are any good at it you might as well try to catch on as a quality control coach or something. Almost everyone on TV is an old coach or player earning a paycheck who couldn't be bothered with that sort of thing, or if they are willing to do it they're weirdos like Gruden or trying to make a splash with ridiculous poo poo like Mayock.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

go3 posted:

"do you feel that the assembled journalists here are wasting your time"

"Yeah"

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Tied with Ronnie Lott for 7th in career interceptions one behind Ed Reed, was known as a hard hitter. He'd probably be worth discussing just for those things I guess, although I'm kind of the same and never really thought of him as a hall of famer.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm probably the closest thing here to a Whitlock supporter other than you and I believe most of that article.

The weirdest thing about this is Whitlock has never seen a bridge he wasn't completely willing to burn down. And it's absolutely no secret that's the case and ESPN knows it first hand. Why in the world did they think he was a good choice to head something this ambitious?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

For real though, who is Mike Silva. This is the first time I have heard of him and for some reason people are paying attention to him like he is a regular on Around the Horn or something,

I remember some of the Jay Z stuff someone posted (I'd imagine I remember it from Deadspin or somewhere like that), but I've never heard of him other than that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cactus Jack posted:

I know it is "Sports Journalism", but how is this man employed?

I'm more interested in how this man exists. Like, what causes a person to become Omar Kelly?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Tiecher does his own stuff for the Chiefs. It's of somewhat questionable value a lot of the time but he does have his own ideas.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Um....

quote:

I’m guessing that Gil Brandt, 83, probably couldn’t have thought of many uses for a gas mask during his college days at the University of Wisconsin.

Not even as a self-preservation device to be used during Vietnam protests rocked with tear gas, since Brandt finished up with school long before any of that unrest hit U.S. campuses.

You know, the first lines of the article. Although a bonus dumb thing:

quote:

Gil Brandt’s alphabetical list of 2016 draftees most likely to make immediate impacts

Roberto Aguayo K Tampa Bay 2nd rd

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grittybeard posted:

You know, the first lines of the article. Although a bonus dumb thing:

Oops I was making fun of Gil there and didn't realize. Maybe he's pretty dumb too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SlipUp posted:

Is the implication old people don't understand youth culture what's offensive? That doesn't seem like an offensive statement on it's face. The most offense I could gleam personally is referring to Brandt as old in the first place.

The problem in my opinion is he says 'holy poo poo this dude is old, his opinion is worthless' without explaining why it's worthless, other than making a couple of dumb jokes.

It's not even hard to poke holes in why the 'holy poo poo he smoked pot' argument is bad, but he doesn't bother to do that. He just says 'hey this dude doesn't like, get the kids, man.'

e: I guess Brandt doesn't even really get into the pot thing. Or say anything other than he isn't sure Tunsil will make an immediate impact. I mean sure, he's going to be playing guard for the Dolphins so he will by default, but that's a different column.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 13, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Crazy losing the password to @fakeomarkelly is a tragedy.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

v2vian man posted:

it makes me sad that it was jenny vrentas driving like such a jackass

I glanced at her twitter and she said they went a 'few hundred feet' before turning off, but still. Don't drive in bike lanes. Or let Peter King bully you around in general.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The best, maybe weirdest is better, Tillman story was when Simeon Rice was interviewed (after he went to the Bucs) and had absolutely nothing to say about Tillman other than he wasn't good at football. Like, whoever it was (Rome I think?) kept giving him a chance to say something, anything nice about the guy and Rice was just 'yeah he sucked, he left before he got beat out of the league by some UDFA, etc etc.'

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

NC-17 posted:

I wonder what we'd think of history's greatest journalists if they had had Twitter.

I don't think it would be possible for most of them to limit themselves to 140 characters, even for a simple thought like "Go to hell."

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

AAA DOLFAN posted:

He's seriously wrong all the time

Hot take about Grantland Rice here.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Doesn't he like regularly challenge twitter followers to attack him?

I could look this up on an old FART post as well as read the missing TMM comics that haven't made it to the draw play if someone hadn't dropped the ball Ehud.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Listened to John Dorsey's pre-draft press conference because I like it when people stand up there and say nothing worthwhile in as many words as possible.

He got several questions about non-draft stuff but things that it makes sense to ask a GM, like about Alex Smith being willing to restructure his contract or picking up the 5th year option on Dee Ford's rookie contract. He answered all of those with something like 'we're completely concentrating on the draft right now, I'll think about that afterwards.'

After hearing those questions and that response some jackass, I have no idea who, asked how the organization can justify raising parking prices. Some background: the Chiefs raised parking prices last year if you pay at the gate because they want you to pre-pay (for the old price I believe) on the theory it makes things easier on whoever's working at the gates to the giant parking lot around Arrowhead and everyone should get in faster. Some people say it isn't working at all, and it's the perfect talk radio bullshit thing to get extremely mad about and waste an hour talking about.

Dorsey was actually a lot more patient than I would have been, he said he's a football guy and that's a question for the business side of the organization. He did give the guy a soundbite about when his wife goes to games saying she thinks the traffic flow getting in and out of the stadium is better than it has been in the past, which is more than he needed to do. Wasn't enough for this reporter guy who asked something like 'is that all you can give me?' Dorsey's still not just shutting this little poo poo down and says I can give you the phone number of the correct department for that question. Still not enough, the reporter/radio guy/whoever he was says something like 'don't give me a phone number, get someone up here who can answer those questions.'

Nothing like good, hard hitting questions during a press conference specifically called to talk about the draft that is happening in 6 days.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ehud posted:

so good

there is so much but i'll just start where it really gets good. Like I don't know what to even put in bold below lol.

I'd go with this for bolding: I’m what people call “an influencer.” It’s a new term that I’m not really comfortable with, but it is what it is. I don’t intend to be, but it’s the cross I carry

• Locked thread