Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
All i know about sports reporters is that John Clayton is terrible, Peter King is a dork who never tries anymore, and Adam Schefter is legit. I just pay attention to Schefter because he seems to have a high hit ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Here's some terrible, self righteous garbage from Peter King about the Nathan's hot dog contest:

You get paid millions of dollars to write lovely articles about millionaires playing a game designed to make billionaires money; a game fueled by a 24/7 media machine bombarding us with million dollar ad campaigns for luxury products that we don't need. But some random guys off the street eating hot dogs for a fun contest once a year, now that's a grotesque display of extravagant excess! We'll probably never know how many poor African children died because we stole their hot dogs and shoved them down Joey Chestnut's gullet.

I think this is funny because if Peter King had his way, there would be an ESPN show built around what coffee stores to hit up in sports cities.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Arschlochkind posted:

Crossposting a find by Indifferent in N/V that shows how current and former Texans players feel about Jerome Solomon.

Read bottom to top:

These tweets seem a little hard to understand without Solomon's context

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

No Safe Word posted:

Turns out it wasn't Mario

Was it Luigi?

Edit: Actually, with this new information, we can now add Mario Williams to the "Unreliable" list of sports reporters.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 18, 2012

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Wario Williams?

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

I don't get how Schefter is so loved my GMs everywhere, he's been breaking every major story since the Portis/Bailey trade. Does he give everyone cocaine or something?

First of all, Schefter is reliable, and doesn't get things wrong, so why would people hate someone who usually waits till something is confirmed to report it? If it's true who cares? He doesn't rumor mill or make random poo poo up like Florio does, he's just well connected enough to get the actual truth when it happens most of the time.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Tae posted:

He's not insulting Schefter

I didn't say he was, I was trying to say why GMs probably have no issue with Schefter. It came across kinda harsh.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I just want to show this thread that this article exists:

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/09000d5d828314fc?module=HP11_content_stream#photo=1

Never read anything by Adam Rank.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

superaielman posted:

PK has good contacts and can write good stories.

Yeah, I was on the edge of my seat for the Colonoscopy saga.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

NC-17 posted:

If Florio and Peter King were TFF posters what would their avatars' be?

Florio would have gotten some red title and then spend lots of time on probation for "trolling"

Peter King would get red text but constantly get new ones of Tom Brady or Bill Belichick.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Brannock posted:

:cawg:

Peter King is awful but sometimes you come across gems like this that remind you just how incredibly out of touch this man is.

hahahahaha Oh my god that's amazing.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Fenrir posted:

I wish being a talentless, worthless hack would get me paid. I still haven't figured out a way to pull it off. In a way, I'm actually very jealous.

Imagine if you could fart out stupid poo poo on the internet all day and get paid for it. It would be like getting paid for our horrible posting. Just try to say you'd turn that down with a straight face.

You wouldn't. None of us would. poo poo, we do it for free already.

Something we have to remember is Peter King currently sucks, but he earned his way to the top rightfully. He was an excellent reporter for years, gaining contacts and credibility. But once he reached the top, he stopped trying and is now a lazy bum in a cushy job with no one challenging him. Occasionally you still see glimpses of what he used to be, but mostly he just doesn't try anymore because he doesn't have to.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

haljordan posted:

I bet you $10,000 Peter King is one of those people who goes to Google and types in https://www.facebook.com rather than just using the address bar.

I think he probably still goes to AOL to search.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

Jason Whitlock is good at three things: Eating ribs, stumping for Jeff George, and laying down burns on his fellow "reporters"

That's about it

GD_American brought it up a while ago, but he actually had a really good critical analysis of the Paterno biography.

So I guess that's one point in his favor, against millions.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Badfinger posted:

I'll never agree to say I was agreeing with Rick Reilly, but I do actually prefer watching the games at a place that's not the stadium. I've now had the opportunity to go to a game each of the last three seasons, and one a year seems about right. It's fun to be at the stadium, but the actual viewing experience and opportunity is way better at home or in a place where 12 football games are all on at once and everything is much less expensive.

I think it depends heavily on the stadium. I've been to Foxboro, Baltimore, Buffalo, & NYC. I was too young to remember NYC, but Buffalo and Baltimore were amazing experiences. Foxboro was boring and dull and would have been better on TV.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Febreeze posted:

Psh, normal predictions are boring. Lets make outlandish predictions and see which ones comes true.

Mark Sanchez retains the Starter role all year
Brandon Marshall has no incidents
The Browns look competent enough
Bruce Irvin ends up the best defensive player of the draft
Peyton Manning does not win Comeback Player of the Year
The MVP is not a quarterback
The Bills make the Playoffs
The Steelers don't
Nobody decides to move to LA
Chad Henne looks awesome with the Jags
Chris Johnson goes down with season injury in first 4 weeks
Tony Romo is given proper credit
Lions make it to round 2 of the playoffs
49ers get worse
Megatron actually has a better year and fully debunks the madden curse
John Skelton is the starting QB at the end of the year

Oh man I still have a good chance on some of these

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

swickles posted:

Chad Henne looks awesome with the Jags - has come true

Two good games isn't "looking awesome". If he keeps it up for the rest of the year then yeah.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

http://davedameshek.nfl.com/2013/03/04/cant-do-attitude/?module=HP11_content_stream

Cowboy fans, do yourself a favor and don't read the part about Romo

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I think the main reason the Orioles should push back or change is that 1 baseball game doesn't mean too much in the grand scheme of things, even when the season is actually starting to matter. This is the NFL's season opener, the triumphant return of the season, and a season which is only 16 games and each one means a lot. The game is more important to the NFL season than a simple late season Orioles game, even if the Orioles still matter by that point.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I just want to see Peter Angelos mad, cause gently caress that guy. I'd probably still like baseball if it wasn't for him.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Big Bob Pataki posted:

So how long until a goon-run football site gets started and then quickly flames out

:colbert:

Edit: Also FJK

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Toaster Beef posted:

My bad, I'm @comicsansisokay

You were really dishing into him too. I kept refreshing twitter every 5 minutes to see a new rage tweet

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Part of me hopes that not only does it snow, but it's a warm weather team vs a cold weather team and the warm weather team wins. That, or the cold weather team blows them out, causing mass controversy forever. But preferably the first, so that we get more cold weather superbowls.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Anaranjado posted:

complaining about being 2-0 is a real bad look.

Welcome to how most spoiled Patriots fans currently work. "WE AREN'T UNBEATABLE ANYMORE, WE LOOK KINDA BAD, EVERYTHING IS HORRIBLE, WAAAAAAA" :patssay:

I think it was Patriots fans who started the "NFL is rigged" talk too, shortly after the Pats lost Superbowl 46. Even though using superbowl 46 as an example is easily the dumbest thing.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 13, 2013

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

superaielman posted:

Someone posted a terrible Patriots writer without quoting Dan Shaughnessy's latest masterpiece? Shameful.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/09/12/not-lot-display-prime-time-foxborough/gxJmWm9ubpPTo1vLL1Hi3H/story.html

I like how he says "looks like the worst 2-0 team in NFL history" when you could go back to literally just last year to see the Eagles were far, far worse at 2-0.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Several months ago Rick Reilly wrote a poem (a terrible poem, our Farthouse goons made better stuff) for his column. I cannot seriously believe he didn't do that for the attention. I think on some level Reilly is without a doubt a troll. It seems pretty standard for the industry trolls. Do your thing, but occasionally do something controversial and stupid because it gets you attention just as people start to forget.

Peter King is totally honest in his stupidity, I'll give him that.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

sweet thursday posted:

It really bothers me that ESPN is the biggest market of anything in the world and their ethical, journalistic and general standards are less than a monthly free news pamphlet that you find at small town bait-n-tackle shops during the summer

Well, because they are the biggest in the world, they don't have to care as much because people will read it anyway

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

Rick Reilly still on TV. Good job ESPN.

Is that little throwaway non-apology really the only thing that's going to come out of that?

As if it ever wasn't going to be it. Come on, we know ESPN, he was always just going to issue a little twitter-pology and get on with things. It might have had a chance in the offseason with less to talk about, but still no chance.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

TFF, we've traced the bad posts...The bad football writing is coming from inside the thread!

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

DangerKat posted:

I saw this on ESPN and then blacked out so consider this a trigger warning for everyone

I wonder how one gets a job illustrating for bad ESPN articles

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

The Puppy Bowl posted:

3) Quarterbacks calling own play
2) NFL in LA
1) Well Dressed Coaches

Why does Rich Eisen put up with this poo poo?

Man gets paid. He's the face of the network. It's probably a fun job, he always seems relaxed and happy.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Yeah, but he has to listen to Michael Irvin and Warren Sapp everyday.

For, I repeat, lots of money.

I would take lots of money to listen to Sanders and Irvin and Sapp. This is why I don't watch them for free.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I still can't believe Dameshek has a weekly show on NFL.com during the season. He's so annoying and terrible, how the gently caress did he manage that

He has several shows. I mean one is him just making up poo poo "What if this happened instead?" called the N"if"L. Some poor intern draws all the pictures for that too.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

What if Tim Tebow was Musli..hahahHahahahaha I can't even finish

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I remember distinctly arguing against those people too, saying you have to be a douche to be evil therefore evil=douche but it was to no avail

Some people just mentally separate the two words when most of us dont

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Peter King amuses me because he seems to have no earthly idea that people loving hate him. He just spends week after week talking about his stupid bullshit completely unaware of how universally loathed he is.

Which is what made the Reddit AMA hilarious

I remember someone asked him what he felt about KSK's long standing tradition of mocking him every week and he said he doesn't read it because it made him sad.

I think he just ignores people who don't agree with him and lives in a comfortable bubble where his success allows him to not notice his critcism.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

That is such a loving horrible article jesus christ

Yeah, really. I like Tanier but this felt like he was trying too hard.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I don't know why you guys still all read Peter King. At this point it seems like everyone hates him yet everyone still reads his stuff. Just stop. He's not adding anything of value to the sports world and yet you keep making him relevant by talking about him all the time. What's his incentive to try if he's still getting the traffic out of hate (which he probably still thinks is love)? I haven't read a PK article in years and I'm happier for it.

At this point I think the only way King might become a good reporter is irrelevance. If people stopped caring about his poo poo unless he put some effort into it we might get him to try again. Or he might just be okay and fade into the background at starbucks quite content, both outcomes are better than the turn he is now.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 6, 2014

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

football fuckerman posted:

Because my web traffic gets si.com like $.04

I bet that's what everyone who hate reads it says

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011