Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

jackyl posted:

That explains a lot of things I've wondered about Bleacher Report. The few times I clicked on their links, I was wondering what the gently caress was going on there. Now I pretty much never go, and was shocked when I heard of the sale. The fact that they were being so terrible intentionally, and the "hate-click" quote basically sums it up perfectly.

The hate click philosophy is ruining journalism and criticism in general.

You get guys like Skip Bayless in sports or Armond White in movies, guys who spend much of their career unknown and talentless. Then they start saying knowingly outrageous poo poo for attention and it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

NC-17 posted:

So I'm imagining that his browser homepage is probably AOL.com.

Which rules.

I imagine him still using Dial Up and getting really angry when someone calls him

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Fenrir posted:

I wish being a talentless, worthless hack would get me paid. I still haven't figured out a way to pull it off. In a way, I'm actually very jealous.

Imagine if you could fart out stupid poo poo on the internet all day and get paid for it. It would be like getting paid for our horrible posting. Just try to say you'd turn that down with a straight face.

You wouldn't. None of us would. poo poo, we do it for free already.

I honestly feel like being a respected Sports journalist is like some sort of demonic lottery. There is literally no distinguishable differences between a guy on the last page of Bumfuck Times and a guy with his own show on ESPN. As best I can figure you succeed by pure chance simply because there is no concept of merit.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

And this is why Nate Silver sticks to baseball

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am kinda rooting for the Bengals this week only because the Steelers will be screwed post-season anyways and I am tired of watching them lose to the Broncos who would be the week 1 match-up.

Either let the Steelers win the division or just skip the whole shitshow.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Thaddius the Large posted:

Well that's nice, I'm sure King appreciated the $10 much more than the homeless guy outside.

The angriest I ever got at King was him talking about how cool a doctor was for giving him FREE MEDICAL CARE because he was a famous football journalist.

Haha, take that poor single mother with treatable illness, you should write about football and coffee more!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Rap posted:

Didn't King one time express shock and dismay that a homeless guy had asked him for $5? $5?!??!

...or was that one of us parodying him, it all runs together

You cannot parody King, you can only give him ideas

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

MonsterWalk posted:

Bolding mine because that phrase is the funniest loving thing I have read in months.

You can insult me.

You can insult my writing.

But god dammit you do NOT insult Allagash brewing company

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Rap posted:

King doesn't understand all of Northeast Ohio if he thinks the Catholic line was anything but a lapsed Catholic joke.

"King doesn't understand ___________"

World's easiest mad-lib

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Rap posted:

Maybe Peter King was thinking of the bile I sent him:

ahahahahahahaha

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ahahaha, I love "perennially dull" as a derogatory remark about a Sports team.

If being dull was a negative, Flacco would be a third-stringer.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I seriously hope it snows for the Super Bowl because

A. Snow football owns
B. gently caress the press

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chris Gaines posted:

Rick Reilly brings shame to the state of Colorado.

Is he from Colorado Springs?

Colorado Springs is like the state's official douchebag ranch. Ever few years they set it on fire to cull the herd.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chris Gaines posted:

I think he's actually from Boulder, which is the complete opposite of Colorado Springs in every way possible.

But also equally as terrible.

I wish more states instituted the "Put every type of douchebag in their own containment zone" mentality like CO did.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Rap posted:

Boulder's not as bad as Colorado Springs because the Boulder equivalent of Focus on the Family just sells homemade hemp necklaces

What Colorado Springs calls Jesus, Boulder calls Gaia

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sash! posted:

I might be conflating things, but I'm pretty sure anyone could be a Seminole. What with "Seminole" not really being the name of a Native American group (they were the Creek, Choctaw, and some others). I thought it meant something like renegade and is just a Creek word.

Honestly though, the whole "I found a member of the minority who isn't offended!" defense is the laziest possible response to accusations of racism.

There have been Jewish Nazis and Black Klansman. You can always find a handful of people of any race who will support something or other no matter how insane it is.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The point being... there are like 7 billion people on the earth. You can find literally someone who will represent or defend anything.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I seriously cannot get over how lovely Rick Reilly must be.

He framed his father-in-law as a race traitor.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Rap posted:

Calling someone an "Uncle Tom" is an incredible insult. Making someone into an Uncle Tom without their consent is like.....holy poo poo

Its beyond that. It's not just someone making someone else an Uncle Tom. This is a white man who lied about the opinions of an actual native american to tell other native americans they should not offended.

That is like the shittiest thing you could do before the Geneva convention would be involved.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Drunk Canuck posted:

I feel that this is full of bullshit.

We got a Jedi here folks.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

DasNasty posted:

He didn't even own up to misquoting his father-in-law, he flat out said "I quoted him correctly."

Geez, Rick, given your track record of integrity so far, I wonder why people would doubt you.

I wonder if he figures he is so far deep into shithead territory its pointless to turn back now

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chichevache posted:

A friend of mine just sent me this on Facebook, so this story is definitely picking up steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbhNJkRnXUo
I forgot about this video. gently caress that slimey fucker.

I am surprised the guy actually went ahead and said "Rick had it first on twitter." I feel like my basic human dignity would just make the words unable to form in my mouth after that poo poo.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chris Gaines posted:

How long until The Onion deletes that

The Onion has only ever deleted one thing ever and it was way worse than that

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

And it's a joke that illustrates the point that "forbidden" words shouldn't exist.

I have never seen someone miss the point so profoundly

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Guys.

Sticks and stones.

Y'know what I mean?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chichevache posted:

I'm still trying to parse exactly what you're saying, because you cant honestly be saying that "if 'friend of the family' didn't offend people it wouldn't be a bad word."

It's not necessarily a dumb argument in hindsight maybe, just a weird combination of A. irrelevant B. obvious C. meaningless.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

DangerKat posted:

I saw this on ESPN and then blacked out so consider this a trigger warning for everyone

I saw that too and my immediate thought was "that is the worst drawing of Manning I have ever seen."

Seriously, how can a professional artist gently caress up a portrait of the single most recognizable football player in the world. The lovely one I drew on a marker board last month was better.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Speaking of which, I find it amusing that no sports journalist, given their propensity for blatant trolling for clicks, has written a "In defense of Schiano" article.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Benne posted:

I still like basketball but it's been hard for me to get back into the NBA after the Sonics moved.

These days I tend to pay more attention to college hoops, while quietly resenting people who still have an NBA team to root for :smith:

I thought you guys bought the Kings

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I will never understand the stigma against taunting.

I can understand not wanting to taunt when a player is hurt, but the idea that showing off while you clown a guy is somehow unethical is weird.

EDIT: I love when they try to claim its about humility and good sportsmanship. Meanwhile, this is the intro to SNF. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OXlLrtPTIA

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chichevache posted:

That's the problem for me. It seems like the people against taunting don't have an argument besides "we don't like it", while those of us who support it can only say "we do like it". You might as well argue about what type of music is the worst, because it is dumb and subjective.

The problem though is that we are not debating two positive arguments.

Allowing taunting is a natural state. Banning taunting is an enforced state. There has to be an argument for why banning taunting is a good idea because the end result of doing nothing is the allowance of taunting.

PHILOSOPHY

EDIT: Also you idiots need to quit responding to Chiv's joke like he was serious

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sash! posted:

sometimes you're reading cnn.com and it just happens

Why are you people still reading cnn.com

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

sweet thursday posted:

I get my news sources from varied outlets of varying calibers to broaden my world view and allow me to say why exactly I dislike something rather than painting it with a brush stroke as broad and useless as "oh, it's just CNN"
:smug:

I get all of my news from the arrangement of chicken bones I throw into a circle after an incantation.

Its free from Liberal Bias

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Literally everything wrong with Penn State's current culture in a succinct article

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2014/1/1/5263776/bill-obrien-didnt-get-it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ehud posted:

Uh...Bountygate wasn't real? :confused:

Yeah I was wondering about this one too

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Anals of History posted:

I'm so loving sick of this trend.

Spacing out every magnificent sentence, every point you dare not miss.

Pay attention to me, drat you.

I think its more the fact that the average reader of local sports columns cannot be trusted to parse more than three consecutive sentences.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chris Gaines posted:

What else do you expect from a HuffPo article? Also it annoys me to no end when "Superbowl" is spelt as one word.

It reminds me of this genuinely amazing book "And the Band Played On" about the AIDS epidemic. In one passage he describes a certain type of white blood cell as "The Quarterback of the body's defensive line" and to this day I wonder how nobody pointed out that makes no sense in editing.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

BigBoss posted:

Stephen A. Smith just did a bit on First Take how people who feel strongly about Michael Sam and speak out against his homosexuality need to be able to have the freedom to speak without fear of reprisal. Apparently we need to protect the freedom of speech and allow people the right to have opinions we don't agree with. He doesn't feel a person's professional career (re: Dolphins players) should be in jeopardy for personal opinions. About an hour earlier, he ripped Donald Sterling to shreds for his opinions and said he needs to be stripped of the team. :psyduck:

I knew Stephen A. was a moron, but dang.

To be fair there is a world of difference between a racist/homophobic employee and a racist/homophobic owner. I would be more interested in going back to seeing what he said about Riley Cooper for comparisons sake.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

BigBoss posted:

If it makes you feel any better (or worse), he was arguing for the acceptance institutionalized homophobia based on "freedom of religion".

welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

If I had to choose between a neglectful drunk and Rick Reilly for a dad I would have to sit down an think for a good long while

• Locked thread