Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Or when he had that drug addiction for over a decade whilst acting like drug addicts are sub-human filth.

Or this could fall firmly into "takes one to know one" territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Seminoles aren't even strictly Native Americans anyhow. It's not a nation.

It's some Creek and some others and some runaway slaves and I'm pretty sure some Spanish Floridians that really didn't like England owning Florida.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The NFL really is missing an opportunity on the coaches not wearing suits. A whole line of branded suits and formal wear! Imagine how many crested blazers you could sell to idiots.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There has to be an argument for why banning taunting is a good idea because the end result of doing nothing is the allowance of taunting.

If you allow guys that are aggressive and seem to have pretty poor impulse control to overly berate each other, someone's going to get neck punched on the field. It's easier to just make it against the rules than to constantly pull guys off of each other. Somehow making it against the rules does seem to mitigate a lot of the shoving and worse that would be happening.

Can you imagine how much time would be wasted in Steelers-Ravens games if you allowed taunting then had to stop all the fights? Look how often they have to break guys up now!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chichevache posted:

I feel like you're going to have to provide some evidence that the amount of fights would increase.

Uh, people are throwing fists in the stands. Kids fight playing with toys. People do not like to be taunted.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Benne posted:

Why are you people still reading Bleacher Report

sometimes you're reading cnn.com and it just happens

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

quote:

Had a talent comparable to the Lions’ receiver lived in the 1920s and not been born in the ’80s

Am I the only person that can't even read this?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Why does every season have a once in a generation player?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

pangstrom posted:

Well, if a generation is 25 years and there are 15-ish positions in football (excluding special teams) you should see them at least every few years.

Then why is there a new once a generation quarterback every other year? Who is the once a generation QB from 1970 to 1995? Brady? Manning (either)? Tebow? Manziel? Brees? One of like seeming 30 other QBs?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

OctoberBlues posted:

(why exactly it would, I do not know)

I think if you take something you love and make it your job, even if it is something fun, it would eventually suck all the joy out of it. I mean, I've known pilots that loved flying a plane they rented or when they were in the military that loathed the idea of becoming an airline pilot and flying a bus on the same route over and over again even if it meant they'd get paid to do what they love (fly a plane).

I'm pretty sure I'd turn down an offer to be paid to write about PSU football because I'd never be able to just watch a game again.

Sportswriters drive me nuts because they talk about how awesome their job is, but they have one of those jobs that if it just stopped existing tomorrow, greater civilization would never notice.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

And here I am, dispensing my terrible opinion on sports on the internet for the last 15 years, for free, like a moron.

I wish I could have known how to monetize this a long time ago.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

There's not really another thread that's football specific for this sort of thing, so I'll use this one.

I got watching Ken Burns Baseball on Netflix and found it very entertaining until it got into the late 40s and just turned into stuff I already knew about the sport. I really enjoyed the early days and came to be better understand how much more of a cultural force baseball was (I'd definitely underestimated it as "most popular sport" not "BASEBALL IS LIFE"). Is there any sort of football type documentary out there that covers the first, say, hundred years of the sport?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I was once accidentally rude to Troy Polamalu in a Barnes & Noble. Should I recount the tail to Peter King?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

Um that story doesn't involve Peter King so why would he care?

For the low price of $25 American, he and I can pretend he saw me do it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

Seven of 17 weeks played might not sound like much, but I'm a stupid piece of poo poo who can't be bothered to attribute the correct meaning to historical quotes. Julius Caesar said "all in, bitch" when he ordered his bronies across the Thames in the year of our lord 2014. The Roman civil war still had to take place, but Harbaugh felt he knew what would happen.

Please write more of the history of this world, thank you.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

When I hear "Russell Wilson," I do think of a white dude that probably, like, does landscaping or something and enjoys camo hats.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ribsauce posted:

I wonder which type of "reporting" has a higher percent of anonymous quotes, political reporting or sports reporting. It is amazing how both forms of "journalism" will create entire narratives without a single person going on record.

I don't think I have seen a sourced negative quote in either field in like 5 years. It is ridiculous.

It also tickles me because it doesn't even matter.

If you're at Defense, State, or Homeland Security and they don't say "unnamed source," that source can end up in jail for a while.
If you're at the Steelers and they name your name, ...well "unnamed sources say Ben Roethlisberger was grouchy because he stubbed his toe on a door frame" doesn't mean poo poo.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If Vick was white, he'd be Roethlisberger.
If Vick was gay, he'd be Kordell Stewart.
If Vick was a Thundercat, he'd be Panthro.

This isn't hard

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Harassment is a crime. Requiring someone to answer questions, which he agreed to when he took the job, is not a crime.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I wish there was some sort of snake pit I could throw both sides of this issue into

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

midwat posted:

I'm picturing a John-Henry-esque competition between Skip Bayless and the bots for the hottest takes.

I, too, look forward to Skip Bayless dying

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

WHOOPS posted:

Maybe they will merge the AP Bot with the NYT 4th Down Bot to generate some commentary with the news wire.

Just like Colossus: The Forbin Project!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I think the decapitated coal miner thing is a decent point. There's an almost preposterous amount of jobs that can maim you out there. Many of them done by idiots, who probably will get maimed.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ought ten posted:

If you're taking the piss I apologize, but we have entire government agencies dedicated to minimizing risk for workers, whereas the NFL has Goodell saying "Don't worry moms I promise we're doing our very best to keep their brains in one piece" and shills like Florio saying "Don't be a pussy, pussy" so I'm not really sure it's the same thing.

Those dangerous jobs have people that claim OSHA just gets in their way and do call people pussies for wanting to do things the safe way. Because people are idiots.

I remember hearing a railroad conductor in a bar back home griping that they have to stop the train to get on and off when they used to be able to just grab onto the railing and swing on. Too many guys slipped and got legs cut off so now you can't do that. Seems reasonable to me. But to him it was just BIG GOVERNMENT slowing him down at work.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

WHOOPS posted:

what is the indignant veteran meme?

The girlfriends of guys that spend their four years in Florida flying a powerpoint presentation getting outraged that they didn't get to cut to the head of the line at Starbucks, not given a discount, and no one bowed down to them.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

AKMoose posted:

It's true. And yet, decades later, I've still never met anyone whose uncle worked at Sega.

In, like, fifth grade, one of the popular kids in my class had to move away for six months because his parents were having trouble. When he came back, we asked him what the other school was like. I will never forget his response.

"They were weird. They liked Sega."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The armbands were quite broad!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've done my damnest to avoid the whole thing and now you people are ruining all my efforts. Its all unraveling.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dutchy posted:

Just don't design clothes that are any shade or color at all, easy.

Easy there, Chairman Mao

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The only people allowed to hate Aprils Fools day are people born on April Fools Day

like me

every birthday I have ever had has been a hell of my loved ones tormenting me with an increasingly elaborate series of tricks

My parents went to the hospital on April 1st because she thought she was going into labor with me. Instead I hung around for a week because I'm lazy like that.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

axeil posted:

It's Advanced Towing in Arlington, VA. Having dealt with them before I'm stunned that she wasn't more rude. People in the area are trying to get them debarred from working with the local government they're so blatantly corrupt and bad at their jobs.

http://www.arlnow.com/2015/04/16/video-espn-reporter-berates-advanced-towing-employee/

Are they the same ones that tried to tow that car that had kids in it, while it was legally parked, a week or two ago?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Neat, so its one of those times that both sides are turds

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Snyder would just try to illegally cut you down or offer you expired peanuts from a defunct airline

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I worked retail. I've been openly berated by people and mocked (incorrectly) about my education and ability to get a "real job." None of those people deserved to lose their jobs as a result.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

GenHavoc posted:

I too become irrationally angry and abusive towards people once I learn what industry happened to be hiring when they got out of school.

Or because this particular individual is a piece of poo poo independent of their job, as is well documented in local accounts.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Detroit_Dogg posted:

How fat was this lady, because if anything the ESPN lady was helping the fatty by suggesting she lose weight

Obesity is a problem we will never solve without open and honest dialogue.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I hope someone tows Jay Paterno's car, while he's still in it right over a cliff

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

They should use Jay Paterno as a torch to burn down every Cleveland area towing company before its too late to do anything about all three

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

*consults clipboard*

Hrm, yes, according to these findings, we have a textbook chode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pryor on Fire posted:

Mike Florio's amazing writing.

Direct pipeline huh. I must have missed the player that literally claimed to be a prophet.

• Locked thread