Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I like a lot of their single headline and picture with no story entries. A lot of the times the headline itself is funny enough like Papal Infallibility Invoked To Allow Scrabble Word but this one here is all in the picture:

This poo poo Again.

Short and sweet. Perfect.

As for articles, I remember laughing the most at this one:

Rubber Band Needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

The best thing about a lot of the Onion videos like Today Now is watching them a second time to read all the stuff on the crawl at the bottom.

Breaking News: Some Bullshit is Happening Somewhere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U4Ha9HQvMo

HackensackBackpack has a new favorite as of 06:45 on Mar 19, 2012

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

School Bully Not So Tough Since Being Molested

Kidnapped Boy Found Safe, Imagines Kidnapped Boy

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

This is the best one.

EDIT: Also the comments on the Onion Facebook page from people upset that they're not bashing Joe Biden hard enough and that the liberal bias of the Onion rages on.

HackensackBackpack has a new favorite as of 01:14 on Aug 21, 2012

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I still love the Today Now! with the 5-year-old writer of Fast Five.

http://www.theonion.com/video/today-now-interviews-the-5yearold-screenwriter-of,20188/

"The cars go fast and then they explode!"

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Facebook was the best thing to happen to the Onion. It adds a whole new level of comedy to every article that gets shared.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

That was the first time in a long time the Onion has made me laugh that particular "Ohohoho, that one..." kind of way.

From a few pages back, but it's worth resharing today: The Onion's TV Guide from the weeks of after September 11, 2001.

My favourite is Lifetime :3:

HackensackBackpack has a new favorite as of 17:51 on Sep 11, 2012

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I used to work with a guy like that. I also wanted to punch him in his smug face.

I was going to post the Ask An Elderly Black Woman as Depicted by a Sophomore Creative Writing Major from last page, because I had never seen that part of the site before. I loved Ask a 1920's Baseball Fan for the nearly impenetrable slang.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

"I just wish they'd told us about this trick before."

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I laughed so hard at the headline "At victory event, Jay-Z forced to make small talk with James Carville for 30 minutes."

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

The Onion's Plan For Solving The Fiscal Cliff Crisis

I wasn't sold till the personal address to Wen Jiaboa.

I could see a number of Congressmen actually buying into the plan to punish single mothers. Didn't they try to criminalize it in Wisconsin this year?

Here's a hot drama bomb!

Taylor Swift Apparently Now Dating Garfield Creator Jim Davis

Do I smell a Boomtown Rats cover?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Has the War on Christmas­­™ been waging for over 7 years now? Time flies when you're hating freedom.

They've been posting a lot of old Christmas articles today. It's fun.

Religious Cousin Ruins Family's Christmas

quote:

The trouble began for the Langans in early December, when the family was contacted by Krueger, who explained that she was in the Montoursville area for a six-week Bible-study program and looking for a place to spend the holidays. The Langans, who readily welcomed the visiting cousin into their home, were unaware that she had spent a majority of her adult life attending various "personal enrichment programs," converting to a conservative synod of the Lutheran church and gradually alienating all non-Christian members of her social circle.

"The first thing she did when she got here was explain that our Christmas tree was a pagan tradition Jesus never would have approved of," said mother Janet Langan, 49. "Not long after, she nearly fainted when she discovered we didn't have an Advent calendar in the house, so Marv had to run out and buy one."

As always, the last line is the best line.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

The comments on the Onion's Facebook posting for this recently are pretty much as you'd expect. But it DID lead to the Jessica Milly account posting this story:

Man Knows Unsettling Amount About Nationwide Age-Of-Consent Laws

Which was pretty accurate.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I can't figure out of the Daily Caller is a parody website or not.

EDIT:

In honour of the tentative deal between the NHL and the NHLPA ( :canada: ) here's my favourite Onion Sports vid:

NHL Star Called Up To Big Leagues To Play For NFL

HackensackBackpack has a new favorite as of 02:08 on Jan 7, 2013

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Robert Denby posted:

I love when they do this. Any real newspaper that does something like this deserves a Pulitzer stat. :allears:

Here's an oldie but a goodie: Obama Scales Back Goals For America After Visiting Denny's

Hahahaha, I was just reading PYF's new Goons.jpg thread, and they mentioned Kuuenbu, and low and behold, if the Onion doesn't spook me! In the crawl for this story, "News from Greenboro, NC: Dad ruins Internet Radio Show." :aaaaa:

I wonder if The Onion will have a run on its Cheat To Win bracelets with the latest from Lance Armstrong and Oprah this week.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Thanks, old white dude! :patriot:

Thanks to everyone who protects our right to be free from tyranny.

8-Year-Old Accidentally Exercises 2nd Ammendment Rights

quote:

"If we ban teflon-coated bullets, automatic weapons would be next," [Charlton] Heston said. "Then all handguns. Next thing you know, the law would deny our citizens' children the personal freedom to blow holes through their own legs."

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Flawless. That's biting. Anyone else notice the first person they talk to is the uncle? :shudder:

This was my favourite line:

quote:

Marveling at the rite of passage that all females make from girlhood into entirely disempowered objecthood, Hayes expressed confidence that the 17-year-old would one day become a highly prized physical possession for “one lucky guy.”

Cold.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Oh, they actually went outside and talked to real people this time, instead of just firing off a few satirical blurbs real quick. Shame. I guess the writers were feeling lazy.

Glad they still used the fake pictures, though. Privacy is important.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

The best bit from the dog one was when they referred refurred to Barack Obama as Bo's "long time best friend." :3:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

How many actual apologies have they issued? This is the first one I've seen that wasn't part of their joke corrections section. I read that on Facebook this morning waiting for the gag, and then it was like "Oh. They're legitimately sorry for something. For what?" and I had to look elsewhere to find it.

Nobody's perfect, I suppose, but I'm surprised that tweet even got the green light. I have the feeling just about everything they do is controlled quite tightly. The joke just seemed kinda low. Like, if they were going for "projecting the hatred that older celebs get on a 9-year-old kid" there were probably better ways to do it.

Anyway, I understand that fearlessness is important in the kind of satire The Onion produces, but I think apologizing was the right thing to do in this circumstance.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Jesus, I get it now. It's the most meta as all gently caress thing The Onion has ever done. They've forced everyone else to make the joke for them. Good God it's brilliant!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

YouTube passed a milestone yesterday, saying their viewership has reached 1 billion people. Meanwhile, the real news reported another, more important milestone.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

God drat it. It's practically written like an Onion article up until they pull out the AP source. :ughh:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I can't wait for this one to start showing up on Literally Unbelievable

President Personally Performs First Obamacare Euthanization

quote:

"Today was great. I enjoyed this.”

Obama later confirmed to reporters that, as clearly indicated in section 1233 of his health care reform bill, he hopes to personally kill thousands of senior citizens in the next three years of his presidency.

Please tell me this catches at least one local talk radio host, or high profile Tea Partier somewhere, like the Abortionplex one.

Posting a classic, it was the one before Hot Girl is Way Psycho, Wacky Morning DJ Faces Crisis of Journalistic Ethics

quote:

"I have a responsibility to provide unbiased wake-up zaniness, hard-rocking hits and celebrity impressions, and that's a responsibility I don't take lightly. If I were to get in bed with every car dealer and theme restaurant that wants sponsorship, morning radio would soon be no better than the commercial wasteland of evening drive-time."

HackensackBackpack has a new favorite as of 21:01 on Apr 2, 2013

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Speaking of dads!

Negligent Father Isn't Building a Castle to Protect Family From Apocalypse.

I guess it's a tie-in to some reality show on National Geographic I've never heard of and won't watch because I don't have that channel, but it's still pretty good. The ending, as always, is a nice kicker.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Here's my favourite 9/11 related article, from last year.

18-Year-Old Fighting In Afghanistan Has 9/11 Explained To Him By Older Soldier

I am torn on whether or not to blank-post the picture of the 9/11 Subway deal on my Facebook wall tomorrow, or if I should just go into a Subway with a printed off version of it. Do you think they'd honour it? :v: Maybe it depends on the franchisee.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

This reminds me of their classic headline about JFK being shot.

Some of their old front pages are great. Stalin announces 5-year 'Everybody Dies' Plan

Bumper sticker industry applauds Roe v. Wade decision

India's Nationalist Leader Pummeled Senseless By Practitioners Of British 'Violence' Movement

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Kuvo posted:

Adopted Child Sick Of Gay Parents Forcing Him To Watch Them Have Sex

This will be on Literally Unbelievable within minutes

I really hope it gets picked up by some backwater politician or talk show host. :D

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

God, I hope Biden runs for President in 2016 and wins. I don't want the Diamond Joe articles to ever stop.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Thanks to this thread I've gone through a couple of their older videos again.

Police say school shooter had history of school shootings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGEkOR-LGyE

Survivors of gas station explosion mourn tragic loss of gas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edl0l3VaIks

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Sometimes I have trouble loading Clickhole vidoes and it just plays the beef jerky ad over and over, and I think that's intentional. It's still a funny site, though.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Robert Denby posted:

Speaking of...
Biden Gets Grow Light Delivered To White House Under Fake Name

"You guys know if any boxes arrived for a Robert Marley?"

I'm going to miss Joe Biden when he's gone.

This, however, is probably the best ClickHole I've seen yet. Pro click.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

ClickHole is the best thing ever. I'll sit through that Jack Links Jerky ad 100 times for these videos.

We Put A GoPro On Grandpa To See What Heaven Looked Like

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

This is it. This is amazing. ClickHole can stop now.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Clickhole has a new Facebook profile picture.

And they want Uncle George to share their stuff.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah but Clickhole is also really, really funny so unlike 95% of actual performance art it's worth paying attention to. It really baffles me that The Onion and everything it has produced has been so consistently brilliant for this long.

This makes me think of a recent thing on Facebook where the much poorer satirical site The National Report put out this article saying Facebook was going to start charging users $3 a month to use Facebook, but you could waive the fees by typing "I'M POOR #FacebookFees" or whatever the hell in your status. Also, they gave out the phone number for the Westboro Baptist Church as the customer service number for Facebook.

The article wasn't very funny, and had some poo poo "quote" from some idiot they made up, but it did what TNR does and got people a bit riled up for a few minutes.

There's something about the Onion's writing that's just so much better. Yes, they make up stories and attribute false quotes to real people, but there's more to it than "lol, we lied." I wonder if it has to do with the fact that so many people know the Onion is satire and it frees them up to be more creative, maybe. Granted, Literally Unbelievable show some people still don't get it (but their submissions lately have been pretty lame), but when it comes to sites like The National Report or the Daily Currant, or The Beaverton, it doesn't seem to me like there's any greater commentary.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

And it was on a Tuesday and everything! :vince:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I am still in awe over how good ClickHole is.

7 Nihilistic Quotes That Only Brilliant, Misunderstood Young Males On The Internet Will Appreciate

M'Listicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I took ClickHole's latest quiz, How many bones do you have? and I got All The Bones! :krad:

I was secretly hoping they'd throw in some extra ones to throw you off, like baby bones, and then they could say you were a baby at the end.