Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
As a Bard in one of the top guilds I quit at GOD when I hit the early raids. The difficulty was off the chart for a guild in full time gear. Progression sorta stalled at some of the hardest bosses. I was told back then it was because GOD did not give any levels at the last moment, making gated progression the only process to move forward.

My vote is to make GOD super short or give the levels back so we're not fighting end game with such a handicap.

For World of Warcraft's faults, making low levels go faster was a good idea for them as x packs come out. You cant keep a happy population when a young player cant catch a player that started at the game opening ever. There needs to be a happy point that lets everyone catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
Selo should not have released at the same time as some other TLP, split the player base with that one fairly badly.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

koreban posted:

If you just want some twink gear to hang out,
That’s easily arranged.

The low level stuff is especially fun these days especially because of the quality of life stuff. You can virtually do any of the events in level era with mercs.

The only real downside I see to live servers is that they don’t have Agents of Change to spawn instanced versions of raid/event zones, so when you want to, say, kill the Queen in Chardok, you have to find her up. In my experience, that’s less likely to be the case than having to set up tracking or park an alt to watch for the names you want.

Ya this is a huge quality of life item that keeps me from ever playing again. If you do a progression server you have to have apps that shall not be named just to possibly do stuff at the time it was designed. The world was really never designed for the number of players it gets in modern day playing and it shows fairly clearly.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

shirunei posted:

http://www.eqemulator.org/

Some assembly required although It's not super hard to set up.

I recall using the offline tutorial from the original game to do this. I felt like a hacker changing hex values and walking around zones I could never see in game.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

Oh I definitely explored Plane of Fear and Hate with the tutorial hack. It was a ton of fun to walk around a despawn scary zone.

I recall it working great for Mistmore, and badly for Befallen (You got put in a room with some dudes pic on the wall).

There was later a bug I used around the time of Hole, you could have a 2nd comp log in over your first, desync your first but not kick you out of the game, then run around the zone to your hearts content. Mobs stopped showing up after some arbitrary range, but it was really cool.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

MF_James posted:

oh man the befallen room! Wasn't that one of the devs (the pic on the wall)? I remember GMs summoning people in there to have chats when they were caught being assholes or doing something shady.

As a member of the guide program I would do just this. Taking a player to GM island, while fun, was a bad idea since a lot of our tools were on click effects. Every once in a while a GM item would get out and all kinds of fun was had.

I really liked the program because as players we knew where people would abuse boxing, or other game abuses and could easily catch this stuff. A few members used showeq and you could tell who was using it by those who instantly turned in the correct direction vs those who use tracking and would kinda make a circle.

The ability to walk into Naggys room and not die was a lot of fun too.

I do recall being banned from the end zone of Kunark (skyshrine?) as they did not want us helping guild recover what was often a corpse loss event.

Then the lawsuit happened and that was that for a guide program.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

suuma posted:

That poo poo ruled, compared to everything being data mined and figured out before the game even leaves beta

I mean after Yogg-Saron mathematically being unkillable without an exploit, you are stuck with a choice of beta testing or releasing this stuff to the wild untested. Now a days raids are for the masses, not elite core groups who have time to figure them out.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Essential posted:

One of the things I haven't seen posted yet, is that EQ was originally designed to be pay by the hour and therefore was designed from the beginning to have massive time sinks. The pay by the hour went away but the massive time sinks did not.

I was there for beta 3 and 4, like we had CDs mailed for the beta program. I do not recall this at all said by anyone. I do recall Brad taking about someone reading war and peace while playing the game and asking for less downtime. Also form comments of the day were so pro downtime it was nuts. I mean you should party and enjoy your lower exp rate.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Baconroll posted:

For the Rathe council how many enchanters are needed for a 1st attempt ? So the guild is raid geared but only just in the elementals.

There are 6 mezzable mobs and a break pretty much is a dead chanter if my very old memories of the event is accurate.

Bards are the best here as single songs won't fizzle and I think both enchanter and bard mez stack now.

The event if I recall broke guilds before the nerf (that the mac server never got).

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
They are talking about the new TLP servers in case anyone cares anymore.

https://www.everquest.com/news/anniversary-21-overseer-xp-march-2020

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

Bards actually do allright solo too. Even if you're not swarmkiting (which I think is nerfed in the current version of P99 anyways, but lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIlfIN8pqZM). They have tools to do charm/fearkiting

I recall fear kiting making me a total terror on PVP servers.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

suuma posted:

It doesn't matter as much on TLP, TLP exp rates and class dps due to quality of life buffs are so much higher than P99 it's probably more efficient to just grind in a party.

Ya, Give me a bard to pull and I am stupid happy as a group.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

koreban posted:

They battle it out and one of them decides to move on. It's the same for when players decide to move in and screw with them. Thing is: people at a keyboard eventually get tired of waiting on spawns, and/or Harm Touch only works so many times in an hour. Their scripts don't get tired, and the timers don't meaningfully change, so while you may have sure got 'em good in main pick, he's going to hop over to another pick in a couple minutes and get the next 3 or 4 spawns while you wait 27 minutes for respawns.

I (eyes) watched a guy get his crew trained by a particularly dedicated monk such that it wiped the crew out, who proceeded to reset their pathing and run straight back into the pack of pulled mobs until eventually the bind point got swarmed. Dude went from level 50 to level 11 over the course of an evening and his little bots just kept on trying to run out of the pack of mobs that were slaughtering them all night.

I was fairly sure the good bots would tell the human in charge they are being hosed with in various ways. The humans know the rules of the game and how to report people for training them and other stuff like that and will "play by the rules" while a GM watches the situation. This has the enjoyable end game of banning the "monk" in this situation and allowing the bot army to continue.

Early on the current TLP some guy with the guild name "Paul" had the ice giants camped for almost a month before he got banned, at the same time guild members got banned for trying to break his hold on the camp.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Verbose posted:

So the way it works is that only two skills can be maxed past 200 right? Is stuff below that still useful? Like would you take tinkering past 200 or is the moneymaking stuff below that

Some Tradeskills do not count, not sure which anymore but I know research does not.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

RCarr posted:

Are any goons still playing this? I’m thinking of playing since I’m bored out of my mind at home all day every day.

I am part of a group whos getting ready to play in the next TLP. Let me know if you want an invite to our discord.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

RCarr posted:

Yea that would be sweet. When does the next TLP drop?

https://discord.gg/CUNgPz

Say hi in general and tell them Glass sent you.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

koreban posted:

Which group is this? I’m not super excited to do another progression with Dima again, but I want to get in on it.

Also, are you guys going truebox or non-truebox?

We're just organizing right now. Truebox server.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
You guys can hop on our discord and say hello :)

https://discord.gg/67ySG3

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

koreban posted:

2 box limit is sort of arbitrarily weird. I kind of wish they had gone with 3, because the number of warrior/cleric, sk/shaman, monk/shaman, ench/dru, wiz/dru, mag/dru, nec/dru combos are going to be crazy.

At least with 3 box limit you can fill a group between two real people and there will be a little class diversity.

A lot of people in my guild are going single box to launch with the 2nd toon running after we get our raid group ready.

We're mostly happy that Krono lords are going to get really messed up on this server as its stupidly easy to tell if someone is boxing 6 toons and camping all the high value camps.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

If someone has the tools to 6box they aren’t paying for the subs with money anyway, they are self funding it with krono and will be there to run the first couple months of classic krono economy when the fleecing is good. It’s literally how the first month of every TLP starts. Box crews racing to lguk camps then solb efreeti and endlessly hawking fbss / ada rings / gebs to week 1-2 raiders.

E: by racing I of course mean warping. Who’s gonna report you when all the honest players are still in crushbone!

EE: not to say box crews inherently cheat or warp. Just the fleecing type or people that sell AJ medallions for all of kunark on mangler, etc. or that dude who parks his six box necro crew in efreeti for a 24/7 camp.

Box crews have been warping so long on other servers that we cant really even play POP. Some of the minis needed for progression are blocked so badly that you can sit on the spawn, only for 6 necros or something to pop up a soon as it spawns and abuse the fact that dots get full damage for kill purposes.

Same problem on efreeti, 5 necros and a bard camping it, no way to get rid of them with trains or anything, you also cant dps race them.

Groups like this are the primary target for the true box rules. Dedicated GMs make it even more likely that normal groups can actully do the content as well.

Mostly we really want to block stuff like that Paul guild with 18 toons sitting on the ice giants for almost a month before he "quit"

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

please knock Mom! posted:

I actually prefer this because instancing ruins MMOs for me but yeah it's all the same world

Instance vs non instance has a failure point.

Classic EQ you could walk from one end of lower guk to the other end at level 1 and not even get hurt. Spawns were simply to slow for the player counts, hence picks are needed once population hits a point.

If you could build a game where the dungeon was big enough to support the population then I totally agree with the rule that instancing is not needed.

This game design would need to be built more like EvE or some other system, it would also need to prevent monopolization in other ways. PVP games work well here since territory and resource control matter. For a PVE game you would have to steal ideas from a lot of those "other world" anime's. Like for example huge randomized dungeons come into play till they are solved then move elsewhere to prevent camping.

But ya, we are getting to a point where a game like this could be done on modern systems.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

milkman dad posted:

It’s actually a good question how crazy the codebase has become on the server end for eq live. I know they made it so you can compile eqemu for 64-bit. Also, eqemu was designed with code that emulated what was observed on live, so presumably stripped down from what the “actual” code is.

Regardless, I agree. They somehow how manage to mess up their one job every year.

The real code was written 20+ years ago by different people who had no idea how to build this game in the first place but often had degrees in computer science (which shows in how most of the systems interact)

P99 is a full rewrite of the classic code, might even be in a new language with better tools.

Also were not talking 2000 people, without the queue we hit closer to 4000 or 5000 just by counting all the general chats.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

milkman dad posted:

This is actually kind of interesting to me-- do we know how well an eqemu server would handle that load of ~5000 players? When green got full and they had to make teal was that due to overcrowding or server instability?

There are a few things going on.

The servers have an "Exchange Server" this is what lets you zone from one spot to something else, aka your put into a request queue, your toon is saved to a main database (as a blob!) then saved to the new zone your moving into. This is currently the issue for having to many players in live.

This means if the exchange server, saving server, or anything else are at capacity then your done and queue's and zoning become very slow.

Next, at least in classic, you have the spawn cycle and small zone issues. Your top tier content supports only a few groups at once (perhaps 100 players) without going to picks. P99 won't use picks thus will never scale its player base past a single world. I see loving 38s in Hole because it's the only place with enough content to support player counts for example.

But getting back to eqemu, 5000 players would most likely have issues zoning and might have issues with unintended rollbacks as the zone exchange process is a single thread async queue system. Moving to a more modern decentralized system would require rewrites, better Database technology (Oracle or Azure vs MySQL) and a few other things at the same time. For example they are using some flavor of MySQL which requires downtime for garbage collection. The system will never reach a point where this would happen, more expensive DB technology can use paging and cache tricks to allow 0 downtime solutions, and even more modern cloud tech will simply have so much hardware that it won't matter.

Next would be the zone limits itself, As seen in zones like Gfay or Commonlands, 100 players already lag people due to the engine being more CPU than GPU already. Running wireshark on the network traffic shows that players are "expensive" in terms of network traffic as your often sending more data then the player would even think of knowing about and the range of that data is HUGE (with no z usage). This mostly means that the Chat server is going to slow down stupidly from all the additional traffic and that's ignoring anyone running side channels for raid tools etc.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
I was in a Japanese guild back in the old days and I can say for sure that I did not know poo poo about the game.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

blatman posted:

I can't imagine how bad EQ PVP is with modern gear, like I have my thought leech keybind just above my voice of thule self buff hotkey and I nearly 1shot myself trying to re-voice myself the other day (I survived with like..4% hp I think? I have nearly half a million HP)

also I accidentally dotted myself with one dot recently and similar experience - every tick was knocking like half my HP off, is EQ PVP just whoever jumps the other guy wins?

It would be just as imbalanced as it was in 1999. SK's running around one shotting people, bards running at warp speed and being mostly unkillable. If fear and blind still work on players then its gonna be even more a poo poo show.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

suuma posted:

Same, except instead of crashing when I zoned it just took 10 minutes.

Remember when you couldn't send tells to people while they were zoning :v:

PVP servers, you cant attack a player at a zone like till they "jiggle". We had so many wars at Gfay, Lguk, butcherblock and every teleport location.

Such a totally funny time to play, Bards running like hell, wizards 1 shotting people, god help you if you got charmed, feared, or whatever.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Sand Monster posted:

What other objects does this method bypass, other than doors?

way back when I had a malformed zone file load, I could only see the bounding box and some water. NPCs were correct but all on the ground.

Relogging fixed it but I assume if you edited the zone files by hand you could do all kinds of stuff.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

jetz0r posted:

Anything that isn't part of the zone's base map. The zone geometry is 'hard' and can't be bypassed easily. But added objects like doors are softer, and can be bypassed easier through things like ducking, jumping, and changing sizes. Doors are the most common objects, but there are added rocks all over, some used to block off hallways in instances, and random poo poo like torches and interactable fire pots all over the world.

I figured out how to make a raid a lot easier by ducking through some rocks that didn't exist in the base version of the zone, to bypass the mechanics of getting to that closed area. Very rarely you can find places that let you fall through the hard geometry, but that's rarely useful. 95% of the time you just fall to the bottom of the zone's bounding box, or maybe a large floor plane. Some zones have kill planes lurking below, those suck to find. Once we found an out of bounds spot that dumped you into the space between rooms, but it wasn't useful for anything. Finding those spots involves looking for places where a ramp can squish your character up, or where there are lots of surfaces were the modeler might have forgotten to add a hard plane to contain you.

Fun ones!

- Zoning under one of the East Karana Bridges ported you to the top of the high pass hold hill. Several other bridge zonelines did this as well to other parts of the world
- When Velious was released on live, there was a bug/exploit allowing players to succor through the zone to WW. You zone in, go to the corner to right, face it and camp. Log in, sit and camp. Doing this a few times would eventually glitch you through the wall and force game to drop you in safe spot (succor point at WW).
- The rocks to get into Hole were locked, you had to duck to get through, no clue where the key to those were in my life.
- The jail area in hole is not on any map (filled with rat men), Most doors are locked here and few people know whats going on in the area.
- Crushbone lets you go out of bounds really easily with just Levitate, I dont recommend it.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
Enchanters have a line of buffs that turn pets into warewolves and stuff. It gives the target a prod, buff, and other random stuff.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

ugh. im getting the itch again. what class would yall recommend for mischief that would have an easy enough time catching up and soloing when needed? i have a decent pile of krono to twink with from the last TLP i played on (agnarr). never really played beastlord so considering that

I am just wafting on the next TLP.

BL has problem getting raid slots, but only in true classic

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Indecisive posted:

oh right i forgot about the generic zone loot lockout.. can still xp in peace at least, might be good for people who have good aoe routes, they can just do a pull, zone out to med up, make a new one when full mana

Last I checked they nerfed XP in instance zones. You could full clear say Sol B, and if your on server in a race for first 50s / 60s this would be a way to get mobs if the picks are all camped. But I am not sure how great this would be.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Solarin posted:

As far as I know that nerf was never implemented, or it was rolled back very shortly afterward. At least the xp in Sebilis, Velks and Griegs instances has felt on par with open world as of a year ago. I have spent a lot of time just two boxing a full DZ like a bootleg WoW instance for xp and loot.

Spamming DZs to do AE pulls is a really funny idea. I bet there will be bugs to dodge loot lockouts to make it really effective and then probably get xp gain in instances properly nerfed.

Anyway feels like new TLP announcement time soon. Pretty interested to see what they try and pitch to get people excited after giving away so much with Mischief. Expecting a straight Mishief clone or a pair of Phinny clone free trade servers for boxing and truebox. I need a multi year break from this game to forget how dull early era EQ is to me, so whatever it is I'll probably pass

I could easily see rotating the person who opened the DZ to someone new to the team so he gets all the drops and keep swapping person 6 out for the loot cool down. This would work well with zones like sol b as you get full royals, bugs, and others if your group can handle it.

The one not locked may have to be the looter but that's not hard.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Baconroll posted:

Anyone notice issues with Gina alerts during raids since the 64-bit patch ? We've been getting a lot of triggers missed since the patch, but in-game audio alerts are still working.

I think it may be just people who log all combat/spells so have a very high volume of log updates.

last time I created a log parser for EQ I had this problem. Gina is not deleting the log and at some point for the app to get to the end of the file the log has had a bunch of updates. EQ writes to the file fairly quickly and just wont give the app enough time to keep up.

If you know someone who can code you can fix this by clearing out the log after the read, you can use a slower thread to write the log so you can keep the contents. This solution still has some problems since EQ is going to madly be writing to the log.

You can make this better by reducing what goes to the log file with your filters as well

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

rally posted:

This sounds unrealistic. Mobs didn’t even respawn in DZs so was anyone actually exping in them or trying to “hold a camp”? Makes no sense.

The point was more that you could clear the zone, respawn the zone, and get more XP. There might be some extra steps, but this was the goal (private zones so you can xp with out people messing with you).

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Solarin posted:

I was going to say that just questing for the robe wasn't so bad but I remembered that I bought the purple sash from somebody for it. Also I did it after they changed Raster's spawn rate from 2% to 10%. Must have been rough before that change

I did appreciate how drat easy all the fights were in the final sequence. Especially with that stupid strong iksar guard you can charm in Lake of Ill Omen. Certain guards just have an insane damage output and movement speed to discourage people farming them and I think he's one of them

People quit the game because of this quest, the dude at 2% could simply not spawn for months and with no picks or way to force a zone refresh and a 30 min spawn timer. Probability alone says at 2% he has only a 62% chance to spawn a day BUT law of big numbers also says each roll is unique so weeks of camping can easily happen.

God I hate video game designers who don't get probability and refuse to install some kind of bad luck mechanism.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Use a piece of software which makes your two computers two monitors with one m+kb setup. I've used synergy before, but there are a ton of software tools out there for this.

I use this for work,

https://www.stardock.com/products/multiplicity/

It has some fancy features that I cant make work well (single screen more then one comp type stuff) but the mouse at the border works great.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Solarin posted:

The only people that have logged in to the game outside raids in my guild are ones with new alts or returning players. 5 months of Omens/DoN has put my guild pretty near death but maybe we'd have lost the same number of people on a faster expansion unlock.

I think when my guild calls it quits I'm just going to play on test. gently caress this required sub TLP nonsense

POP unlike the pervious x-packs more or less removed the need to see all the old zones. The game goes hard core raiding at this point and keeps it up for a while. If your raiding, group content is almost pointless which is sad.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

diapermeat posted:

Yep - and if you get into POP late, you'll miss the rush of flagging. So even getting exp groups is hard.

As someone who flagged for time the slow way in the original. Back then you always had groups all over the place, strange camps that I never see touched on TLPs for the most part. This was helped by the fact that only 40 ish people a week could get a given flag and there were enough players that backflagging was ok (helps that time was instanced too).

Today its week 1 rush, you need to be on the "team" or no flag for you.

No one wants to hang in POJ doing xp when everyone who matters is in POF or POE.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Baconroll posted:

Personally I think account sharing is always a bad idea - Just needs the person you've loaned it to to have some grey-market krono and every account associated with that IP can get a ban.

My rule on account sharing is, can I punch this guy? If I can punch him for doing something dumb I can share the account with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Solarin posted:

Going from TLP to P99 must be like cruising down the freeway going 80 then deciding you'll pull over and walk instead. The TLPs are so drat fast, raid gear is everywhere and player mitigation/melee damage output is high. There's extremely strong and cheap healing/regen/clarity potions. Stuff like parcel and origin are massive conveniences. It's really a different game.

I think the pace of P99 works better in launch-velious content. TLPs get raid focused with how fast everything is and the raid content is just terrible. The world, the cities and dungeons are pretty cool though. The game being extremely slow and forcing you to spend time in the cool part makes sense. Not to mention the social aspect of spending lots of time in each zone.

The TLP is a walk down memory lane, with the knowledge that you cant fully return to the past.

P99 is being reincarnated in the past, but with full knowledge of today. The Magic is gone for some, for others the magic is existing in forever at that point in time.

In the end you still can never go back.