Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Evernoob posted:

85/15 rule got implemented while my guild was already progressing through Time. So there is indeed a good chance it will be in on Phinigel.
However the 85/15 rule doesn't help a casual to get into BoT or HoH for exp groups.

Yeah, everything below those zones is free game though, I forget the one forest zone with the bees frogs and giants, but enchanters/druids could charm frogs, kill bees (or giants but bees were slightly less dangerous imo) and make really good exp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Krycek posted:

I'd guess probably 30 minimum depending on how well geared and AA'd those 65s are. If you're well geared with good resists, probably right around 30. If they're brand new 65s with few AAs, probably need closer to 45.

Eh you can do it with 24ish if you're well geared and have a lot of AAs, but yeah, brand new 65s, limited AAs, you're looking at 40+

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Krazuel posted:

I shudder recommending it but Google almarsguides has a progression
Trade skill guide for each thing.

Yup this dude speaks the truth, those guides are pretty loving good, I (think?) they work in Luclin and beyond, maybe even b4.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Sol Ro wasn't too bad, but RZ is a way different story.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

xZAOx posted:

I mean, you're definitely dumb, but there's 2 indications. There's the hourglass/wisp/crossed swords for if you're out-of-combat / cooldown / in-combat. And there's a red ring around part of your namplate UI when you have attack on. Does autofire not trigger either of those?

No, they changed/broke this a LONG time ago (when I still played live EQ), autofire, if you are not actually in combat, will not display anything noticeable.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

khysanth posted:

What's the strategy Phinny guilds are using to clear all VT bosses in ~3.5 hours?

We're bad and casual and it takes us the full 6 hours to clear and we still skip 1 or maybe 2. We constantly have mobs in camp and kill in the order of difficulty.

I dunno if it's still an option but COH bots were huge back in era and made things go a lot faster.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Hoohah posted:

It's too bad it won't come out at the same time as PoP does on Phinigel, because unless Absor changes his mind (and all indications show that he won't) then Plane of Storms is going to be a clusterfuck on an unprecedented level.

Oh man PoStorms, I bet that will be fun with every druid thinking they're good and can charm frogs to kill beeeezzzzz

MF_James
May 8, 2008

What are the medallions for? It's been forever since I did PoP and we were one of the only guilds progressing in the expac for a long time.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Krycek posted:

Flagging for Bastion of Thunder. Most every other flag is from a raid kill where guilds can get 72 flags in one go, but this one requires each individual collect a set of rare/random drops off different types of giants in PoStorms. So imagine the zone full of xp groups all fighting over a limited number of spawns. At least they'll have /pick instances to help a little.

That's right I forgot about those, I soloed 1 or 2 of the medallions with druid charm on frogs. Fun stuff.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Makes me really want to sub again, though missing kunark-luclin is sad.

Maybe if they do another TLP server I'll actually stick around past level 20.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

xZAOx posted:

Heh, I ignore most of it. I'm sure PoStorms will provide all kinds of fun training and such though.

oh man I'm sure it will, druid/enchanters can really cause a lot of problems in that zone charming things.

quote:

Well, apparently Gloomingdeep is in now, so 1-20 should at least be easier, right?

Yeah, honestly the levels weren't brutal, I enjoy leveling in EQ,maybe because I'm hosed up and created bad neural pathways as a child, but it gives me great satisfaction to level in EQ. The issue is the overall time investment, I'm at a point in my life where I can't devote enough time to it anymore :(

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Krycek posted:

That's loving awesome!

Epics were probably the best feature/idea EQ ever had. Its a shame soe/dbg deemed them too difficult to continue. I always thought they should have done smaller add-on, continuation quests with each expansion to upgrade the original to then-current BIS weapons. That way they could have piecemealed the work over multiple expansions rather than doing full length quest chains all in one expansion.

This yes! Also BiC was a loving awesome (and frustrating) quest. That loving augment was top tier for a long time, it would have been great if there were upgrade quests for it as well.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Krazuel posted:

LDoN opened for like 2 hours today on Phinny, AoS managed to beat one raid before they closed it back up.

Ugh I have bad memories of LDoN raids, might be better now that people know them? I dunno, I just recall them being a pain

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Trying to recover my original account now, hopefully I can, but I don't have access to the email nor the CC I used for the account.

I do have 3 others that I logged into to create heroic characters on good old xegony, but I'm hoping I can get my original account with my druid on it, then I can run tank druid and 2 dps.

What goons are still active on xegony?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Suprfli6 posted:

I've gotten fed up with the WoW private server scene for now and the upcoming EQ progression server looks interesting, I played EQ from 2000 through the WoW launch and then went back and played the first progressive server whose name escapes me atm. Also spent a shitload of time on the Shards of Dalaya private EQ server over the years. Any other goons intend on giving this Agnarr server a go?

Hey shards buddy, I was thinking about it, PoP was probably my favorite expansion, though I did like a bunch of stuff afterwards GoD, OoW and DoD, I still might do it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I just heroiced a warrior, druid and necro to 85, haven't had a chance to really play yet, I'm playing the UI minigame right now. Anyone have a good all-in-one UI? I downloaded Aya something or other but I'm curious what other guys use.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Node posted:

Huh, I've heard that Overlord Mata Muram and Tunat`Muram were not beaten in their expansions.

OMM definitely was, my guild beat him in era. Tunat'Muram is tacvi bossi, right? I THOUGHT he was not beaten in era, but I could be wrong.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Node posted:

Aw drat. Were you raiding Tacvi when it was current? I was still getting caught up, raiding the elemental planes, in Vex Thal gear, masturbating to Plane of Time loot.

GoD we were not a front running guild still, but GoD did kill most of the high end raid guilds off which allowed us to pick up some members and push forward (I guess their dicks fell off after getting slammed in a door for too long in GoD). Plane of Time we did after GoD released and we pushed up to uqua or maybe inktuta during GoD. We raided GoD and OoW simultaneously, we beat Tunat before beating OMM though.

We did farm the gently caress out of tacvi during OoW though, I enjoyed the zone, but I could see it being loving ridiculous in era. I mean the fact that we couldn't even get through is somewhat a testament to the difficulty but we also had a lot of mouth breathers raiding with us during that time, once OoW hit we had a solid squad of 24-30 people + 10-18 cannon fodder folks that we steamrolled raids with.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 30, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008

xZAOx posted:

Overall that sounds easier than PoP. "Kill thing, hail guy" for th emost part is pretty simple. It's the "run around and hail in sick bay, then in library, then back, then talk to seer to fix your poo poo, then talk to seer again, then again" stuff that people had trouble with.

Okay, so just all over the map then.

The best was when all the flagging was super hosed up in PoP and it took hours of running back and forth becuase you hailed in the wrong order, or you got the kill flags in an odd order that EQ didn't expect so you had to hail the seer 3000000000000x to get it corrected. This was a loving nightmare.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Suprfli6 posted:

Tanking PoWater as a warrior in-era remains my least favorite MMO experience of all time, gently caress. lovely internet connection sure didn't help either.

PoWater in era was lovely for everyone involved, melee especially, but it sucked for casters too. Geometry got REALLY loving weird underwater, I forget exactly what we figured out the problem was, but i think it had to do with the servers thinking the model was actually on the ground for LOS checks, so you had to watch the gently caress out of target rings because those always showed on the ground, and if it went behind a rock you either had to reposition the casters or reposition the mob.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

FranktheBank posted:

Hey guys, heavily considering fooling around in Agnarr. I'm probably gonna play a tank, which probably means knight. Leaning towards Paladin because I don't wanna be another SK.

Anyone have a Paladin 101 leveling/basic gearing guide? Thanks!

I do not, but paladins are gods* you have chosen wisely.

*this might not be true until PoP, I'm not sure how all the changes have affected early paladins, but we boxed one in PoP+ and they became amazing.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

FranktheBank posted:

I have this vague recollection of PO, LDON and LoY being great for Undead killahs. Is it correct or am I misremembering?

I don't think LoY will be on agnarr, but otherwise yeah, there's a lot of undead poo poo. PoD/CoD in PoP (maybe more that i'm not remembering) and a bunch of the dungeons/raids are undead in LDoN.

frostcrypt was a shitload of fun to XP in with a paladin tank, those giants hit like loving trucks but the xp was killer.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 20, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I forgot LoY came before LDoN.

LoY is fairly boring for a max level player anyway though, there isn't poo poo to do iirc.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

xZAOx posted:

No, there's like a few zones you get. They released with PoP on Phinny. My bard got some cure songs that are super loving helpful though.

So I think there's a few things like that for people, spells/songs etc. And hey, the Hate's Fury instance if they gently caress up and leave that in again!

I think it's getting 12 weeks just to stretch out the life of the server.

Yeah there's the cure spells/songs, but overall there's not a lot there for a max level player, the base LoY expansion was for levels like 1-55 or something.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

FranktheBank posted:

Now to decide Human vs Erudite for pally. I've never been a huge fan of erudite starting area (mostly because I am the least familiar with it), so I guess i would be Immediately going to Qeynos.

or you could be a boss and be a high elf paladin.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Yeah GoD was an expansion that was basically: gently caress you, no content skipping, also, gently caress your tanks.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Hoohah posted:

Yeah I hear you, doing 1-65 late is just horrible. We have three old members who decided to play again roll up and they're having to sit in some of the worst pugs ever. Last night I sat with two of them in Fire and we chain pulled castle 1, both got 2 levels off a potion (60->62 and 62->64) and I don't think I've ever heard people be more grateful. Hopefully today we can finish off levels for em, then they can bang out critical AAs and get Time geared off rotting items for GoD.

Yeah, if you're leveling late you really need to do it with a full group, either boxing or whatever.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Michael Bayleaf posted:

I'll be playing on the new server as either a dark elf mage, or if I decide that I hate both myself and my groups, a halfling rogue. I'll be up for grouping with anyone here :)

Halflings are best, main tank in our guild for a few years was a halfling warrior.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Pilsner posted:

I remember back in the day, when I was in a group, for example in Sebilis, and a small race Warrior joined us, I felt in my head that he wasn't that good, and felt a bit demoralized. However, when a big race tank joined, I felt he was badass and could definitely do the job. So silly.

I mean objectively ogres were better because of frontal bash immunity.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Shrapnig posted:

It's 2017 and I'm waiting in a queue for an Everquest server because the server is full. Some things never change.

There are queues for servers? That was literally never a thing as long as I played live.

Or at least, the server I played on never had a queue.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Shrapnig posted:

Back in my day there were queues all the time, like around 2000-01. I also vividly remember hundreds of people going linkdead at the same time if AOL went down regionally somewhere.

I played live from kunark release through TBS or some acronym like that and never once was there a queue for me to log into xegony.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Droid Washington posted:

This is accurate to the early game. I remember my first character was a troll and coming across another player, while not rare, was exciting. When I made my first non-troll character after playing in Innothule / South Ro for a month, I made a high elf and was suddenly thrust into a bustling GFay.

Yeah, innothule sucks so most people end up running to commons or feerrott to party with ogres

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Givin posted:

I'm glad the majority of people think this. Hand Island is the best leveling in the early game and you can get mad early game rich by selling netted gloves to monks.

it's just a lovely zone to level in, it's been a LONG time since i did natural leveling there, but I recall there being odd gaps (like you hit level 3 or 4 and the mobs are either level 1-2 or 6, not a lot in the 4-5 range) and finding mobs could sometimes be a pain in the rear end.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

xZAOx posted:

Am I the only one who enjoys the LDON raids?

Around an hour (or less) each, they each have unique mechanics, and you get a crap ton of mostly-useful augs at the end.

They were loving awful when they first came out, so a lot of people were soured on them, plus the gear is sub-par and the augs are decent but overall pretty average, unlike later expansion augs that are useful for way longer.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

kaempfer0080 posted:

Thanks Tai, I didn't even realize a new server just launched. That explains a lot of the EQ buzz I've been seeing.

I wanted to try Enchanter but never really played EQ. I did play EQ2 and have a ton of MMO experience, old and new. EQ is kind of it's own beast though, do you think it would be too difficult to get the hang of?

Enchanter/bard are the most complicated classes to learn to start out with.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

xZAOx posted:

Yeah, BDA is basically a ghost town outside of raids. Raids are still going fine, but we usually have to get started with lighter numbers, as people finally decide to join late.

The curse of raiding, people not wanting to start on time to do clearing.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

FranktheBank posted:

I got 1 granite while exping there, now I am trying to go back and get a 2nd and its terrible. I'm only doing it because I have literally everything else, including the mold. I am currently deciding between 2 ac & 10 SVPoison vs 50 mana.

Deciding on an alt is hard. Its between Druid (for ports + small tracking), Ranger (uber tracking), Mag (solo/dps/farming) or maybe try a bard (everything), but seems too much for me.

druids make the best alts since they can do a bit of everything.

I mained a druid, yes, I am a masochist why do you ask?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Baconroll posted:

Does anyone ever cast a heal that doesn't heal the targeted player ?

Way back when I played live this happened (the exact issue I dealt with may have been fixed) and I think a private server I played on had this issue as well.

Limited amount of testing I did at the time seemed to be that they stepped just barely out of range as the heal hit, so it casted successfully but in the milliseconds between the cast finishing and the heal actually landing they had moved out of range causing it to fail silently.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

xZAOx posted:

Phinny talk: so, OGC and AOS already cleared everything in GoD on launch day.

I heard some saying they were cheating. Are they actually doing scummy poo poo? Or is it just a case of being able to skip lots of progression that we didn't realize?

It looks like a lot of open world group progression stuff they were able to just skip right over, and get right into Ikkinz raids. I heard someone saying they even went right into Ikkinz 4.

If they got right into ikkinz 4 there's something broken or they cheated somehow.

Also, they beat EVERYTHING? Including tac'vi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

xZAOx posted:

According to http://www.phinnykills.com/ yes.

It's not updated yet, but "EoE did Ikky 1 to 4, Uqua and Qvic on opening night 07/19/2017. " as well, so I'm sure Hoohah can chime in with some info too.

The guide I've been following said there's several group progression steps between group Ikky and raid Ikky (Martyr's Passage, Temple of the Damned, The Summoner Ring, Pit of the Lost, Crumbled Sanctuary), so basically I've been wondering if these are optional now or just piss easy to blow through quickly.

Jesus I have to imagine everyone took Friday off from work (or they are all unemployed) for their favorite pixel game. GoD is considerably easier now than it was when it first came out, people know the mechanics, are generally better at the game, and a LOT has changed since then that makes the game easier over all.

v--- Yeah, same, we got loving steamrolled hard on poo poo, in full time gear. Tipt 6-man was HARD, you basically had to have an enchanter, warrior, cleric, and shaman or something like that and the last 2 spots were "flex" spots so you could flag people through, and that's not even talking about uqua, ikkinz etc.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 20, 2017