Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

All of the shroud information is 4 years outdated because nothing new has really happened with shrouds since they were implemented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Now that it is F2P, is there any sort of Goon presence on EQMac? I am trying it out on my Windows box to see how it is before dropping a few bucks on a Mac, but it feels pretty empty and the Bazaar Search doesn't work on PC.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I would resub EQ for a PoP-locked live server, or even Gates or Omens or what-have-you but I can't seem to find reference to those rumours anywhere, can someone toss some links?

edit: apparently my google-fu was weak, it was mentioned as a possibility during a dev chat and discussed a bit at https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/progression-server-that-only-goes-up-to-pop.208146/

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I dusted off my freebie-heroics-chars last night and gave 3boxing a try, running Pally Zerker Bard with a bunch of mercs

The Zerker does an absolute shitload of damage when disced and I can't actually hold mobs off of him when he's going full burn, which I imagine is something that will go away with spells later but it's pretty awesome right now to see a 4 foot tall dwarf go apeshit on some rot dogs with the worlds most retarded looking axe

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a 3box zone that isn't HoT? It's really high traffic and I'd rather learn how to box without an audience (and my wiz mercs outdamage all the pugs I've had, wouldn't be surprised if my paladin could outdo them too)

I don't know poo poo about expansions past SoF really but it's pretty neat that group gear is an actual progression path now so I might stick with this mmo for awhile, is there any goon presence on Luclin these days?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I checked out Kaesora Library earlier, snagged 3 of the same lore AC augs from trash mobs, I like this spot quite a bit more than HoT, thanks!

I do get the occasional 3-4 pull but apparently pally root is amazing, and failing that bard mez is also a lot better than I remembered. This is actually quite a lot of fun.

I figure after my bags are full of vendor crap I'll leave here and try out the grounds, I don't have an ac aug in my shield yet however, so I'm a bit wary to try anything actually challenging right yet.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

r0rb posted:

If he made heroic characters he should just do the lower house and feerot quest lines to get those Augs for his characters. You'll get a 30ac aug with hp for every slot, often having heroic dex, and your shield aug will be 35ac. gently caress camping. The non tank Augs are good too but I couldn't be bothered to finish the loot items tasks with multiple characters.

I totally forgot about Feerott quests, I did quests for two wrist augs just inside HoT already but I should bum around lizard country for a bit too, thanks! If my tank was less squishy things would pretty much fall into place.

Feerott next, just for tank augs and that merc upgrade task (I only plan on gold-subbing the tank for now anyway) and then onto either Grounds or that lower part of HoT with the bone golems, though it sounds like grounds is a much better choice.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

3box heroic characters trip report!

I changed the Berserker out for a Mage (boxing a melee was starting to get frustrating, coth is great) and I started doing HoT progression. I got almost a full set of augs by doing everything up to and including Welcome to my Nightmare, which made me feel like an incredible badass doing those 3pull rooms while boxing my own CC.

Thank you guys for the advice to start doing these tasks, this is way more fun than slowly grinding my way through wasps and rotdogs and poo poo.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

The best feature of this patch is all of the people complaining about the new loot system.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I used to say wife aggro instead of "I have to now smoke a lot of weed to tolerate this poo poo", but I was a necro and would try to make sure I had at least tossed a few dots and pet onto the mob first.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Does this mean it's a bad time to resub for LJ? I haven't touched the progression servers yet this time around, but I'm itching for some MMO action in a 20 year old game

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Just started a Ranger on Lockjaw, anyone want to trade some plat on FV for some banded? Newbie life is rough

Edit: just bought a Krono, newbie life is rough, time to twink an SK!

blatman fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 9, 2015

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

How accelerated are these spawns? Since the patch I've snagged Tormax/AoW on live like eighty billion times and now everyone who has a warrior alt on the server has a boc pretty much

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Hey, I'm thinking of selling a krono to twink a guy on Mangler but I usually only get to play in the early morning and when I ran to EC to look for stuff there was nobody there, is EC the right zone and is there a decent population of weird-hours people?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Thanks dudes, now to buy a krono on Bristle so I can start my beautiful twinking adventure

edit: oh man I forgot how slow EC tunnel twinking is and someone else is trying to buy a fungi for more plat than I am

edit 2: if anyone is selling paladin gear lemme know, so far I have a fbss and a sarnak battle shield but nobody wants to sell me a fungi for 5k among other things that don't seem to be for sale at the moment

blatman fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 30, 2019

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Got my pally half-decently geared now (couple good weapons, fungi, fbss, the works!) anyone have any suggestions for leveling guilds on Mangler? I don't want to keep asking my dumb old-world questions in general because I forget everything

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Once I get off work I'll hop in the goon discord for sure. I gotta say, even though I haven't found anyone to group with around my level yet due to my dumb play times, this is a lot of fun, I rolled through Befallen for awhile until some level 20-something mummy spawned in the main room and chased me out and now i'm trying to drive crocodiles extinct while tossing disease cures on afk dudes, I forgot how chill grinding was in this game

Also, i'm happy to report that apparently lots of guilds are looking for paladins because there are no paladins and all the gear is rotting for every guild, so I might get to check out things like that weird TLP version of Hate

edit: i'm pretty out of it right now but I can't find the discord on the OP or by searching "everquest, discord", please send help and also a coffee (put whiskey in the coffee)

blatman fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 2, 2019

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

On a way lighter note, I'm currently farming Diminished Muhbises on live to finish the few slots I need on my SK before the expansion and I made a rookie mistake - Fleet earrings are lore-equipped and I just ate a muhbis for nothing. I got a ticket hoping I can get it reimbursed but if that doesn't pan out, is there any way to unmake the earring or am I out of luck?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

SK and Necro require their OOW epics (NEC still mainhand their 2.5, sk click theirs constantly)

edit: phone typo

blatman fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 20, 2019

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I don't know if anyone here still plays live and gives a poo poo about the upcoming expansion but they did a tuning pass on the trash mobs finally and apparently now tanks aren't getting 1rounded by blues anymore. I haven't hopped into beta yet but I'm curious to see if the T1 ToV zones are more accessible than say, literally anything in TBL which was a dumpster fire of an expansion

I'm gonna betacopy my SK Bard over and see what I can do, group geared but I have logs from the past 3 expansions so if I still give a poo poo I can compare relative damage output and get an idea of whether or not this is going to be another relatively inaccessible expansion or if we're getting another EoK

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

That's good to hear, I'm really hoping it's tuned more like when EoK was current so I can hang out with less obsessive dudes in frosty-frontier-mountains but still have harder content for when I want to remind myself what ornament I have on my shield

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I checked beta a bit when I got a window of free time, I only checked GD and Velks and only trash mobs, here's my findings (sk bard 2box, one healer merc)

Great Divide is gonna be slowly doable by casual players, I was 2h tanking 2 white cons at once at 110 with max group gear but I only have like 5600 ac with a 2hander so a tank using a shield and conflagrant armor should be able to handle these mobs. Note: they have tons of HP

Velks Lab I betabuffed to 115 and kept using my 110 TBL gear with TBL spells, the first 2pull of ghost monsters was rough but I disced through it with a 1h/shield, my hp was hitting 20% fairly regularly but I was able to stay alive with a few lifetaps and a single merc healer, spiders are undead and easier than the ghost monsters but everything here has an obscene amount of HP

I ran out of time at this point but next time I'm going to grab like 5 or 6 slots of ToV T2 (the T1 appears to be worse than the tradeskill armor from TBL and at least the knight 2hander was a decent sized downgrade going from the GMM Howler mission one to T1 ToV) and start bumbling around with that to see what it's gonna be like a few weeks into the expansion

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Yeah if you're in GMM you can kill probably 4 mobs by the time you kill one Great Divide zombie and you might as well farm some cliff stones for later because it looks like they haven't upgraded power sources

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

In the off chance that anyone gives a poo poo, the recent bard changes made Tune Stuck in your Head passive, meaning songs last like 34 seconds baseline now, so bards can spam aoe mez with full mez uptime until they fall asleep from boredom but they keep mezzing while they're keyboard napping so nobody will notice until the group moves and the bard just keeps mezzing poo poo as it wanders by locking down the entire zone until the servers go down and the game gets sold to an even sketchier company

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

If you want to get real fancy you can farm "The Lady's Entreaty" from Plane of Shadow for a tash clicky, I use it when 2boxing Tyrant of Fire to pre-tash the mobs that put up that magic resist self buff, just click it then as soon as it lands hit fade and repeat until all the robe dudes are tashed then mez should land 100% of the time

This strategy also makes the last pull of Fight Fire completely trivial if you want to farm evolving loot

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

If you're not dead-set on the ranger, druids actually synergize really well with sks and bards, their atk debuffs lower incoming melee damage about as well as shaman debuffs and the caster buff wolf mode AA severely buffs lifetaps. Druids can churn out freakishly good dps considering they're a healer especially with bard buffs, reptile buff is crazy good for tanking piles of trash mobs and you don't have to deal with trying to box a ranged that has to stay close but not too close (jolting kicks has a range that lands just inside your minimum bow distance)

I'm a big fan of sk bard as a base for groups, you add literally any 3rd box to that and you're set until the eq servers shut off. I went for this duo so I could barely claw my way through TBL progression for friends/guildies/whatever but honestly even with no raid gear it's absurd how effective this duo is, I bet you could completely wreck those Dead Hills missions from Gribble Grobblenobbler or whatever his name is just because you have bard buffs and spammable aoe mez and a tank that can blast a ton of aggro in the first 2 seconds of every pull (I think those start at 75 if you haven't started them already, use the completion points for ac augs so you can skip months of farming!)

Before I stop rambling, I have one piece of advice: once you hit 85, make sure the archetype aa "Weapon Stances" is active on your SK, it will widen the survivability gap between 2handers and sword-and-board but in doing so it basically doubles your 2h dps while giving your shield-mode an absolute ton of added survivability, but last time I checked aa autogrant wasn't activating it properly so a lot of guys were getting to like 95 and not understanding why they couldn't cleave mobs in half like other tanks

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Newest beta trip report:

Looks like T1 gear is attunable, at least the jewelry and weapons and shields and whatnot are, and they buffed T1 visibles to be a slight upgrade over T3 TBL

Mobs seem like they're right on the money for difficulty but I didn't get a chance to kill a namer when I was testing T2

Absolutely barrels of undead, this is a good expansion to play a knight because I was landing helix on pretty much everything, paladins will probably have a better time but I don't play one so I don't know

The tunnel between bank and arena in Kael is absolutely 100% NOT EVEN REMOTELY SAFE

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

As far as I know there is no guides for anything, but honestly if you're around that level just hire a tank or wizard mercenary and go apeshit. If you don't want your npc hireling doing all the work, buy a bunch of level appropriate Defiant gear and go apeshit yourself. What server are you on?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

In my opinion, post all your silly questions here if you can't find answers anywhere else, this game has a distinct lack of internet resources that are 2019-accurate and it'll help get some eq conversation going again

If it's a really dumb question PM me (I think I have those turned on anyway) and i'll see if I can help, answering eq questions is my favorite hobby

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I think the expansion launches in like a week, here's what I learned on beta:

-Paladins are a lot more playable now that you can heal yourself without switching targets with your basic heals, the heal proc AA is better and virtually every mob in the new zones is undead
-When I checked out the T1 gear all the nonvis and weapons were attunable, don't know about visibles but that might not be important because:
-T1 is way easier than when beta first started, I expect you could tank singles or even doubles here if you're capable of clearing the gmm howler mission without spending 10 minutes splitting every pull
-I only checked Velks and Kael for T2 zones but the mobs were fairly reasonable, virtually everything I tried was slowable with SK undead slow if you cast it 2 or 3 times or had someone with the tash clicker from plane of shadow
-hope you have IVU because you're running through zombies for days

I specifically tested zones with mishmash group comps and mercs to make sure the less insane people in my family guild had a reason to buy it and it seems like T1 is actually accessible this time, plus there aren't weird difficulty spikes or garbage "this progression mission required to access 2/3rds of the zones is harder than virtually everything else" like in TBL, that smoke trial requirement to get past Stratos was killer and it's really dumb that namers in Stratos scare me more than namers in Mearatas but what can you do, expansion's done

I did not test anything with a merc tank or mage/bst/nec pet, no idea how they stack up at the moment

I also noticed that if you're in a group that can only handle 1 or 2 mobs, there's a lot of spots where 2 is the most you're going to get in a pull unless you screw up terribly

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I just logged in beta to check, it appears that the passthrough heals start at level 111 with Sincere Touch, then light at 112 and burst at 113

Now, things that have changed in the past week since I last checked:
-Melee weapons with dps, lifetap and remote healing procs also have sympathetic procs on the same items, this is going to be absolutely loving bonkers for the spammier classes! If your tank has some gear you can probably get away with using a pair of spell-spammy hybrids using remote healing weapons instead of an actual healer for a lot of content, rangers would be especially good for this considering how much they cast, enclosed for your arousal is a screenshot of the knight 2h and the melee remote healing 1hb

edit: also worth noting that one of the recent changes for pallies causes pally yaulp to autocast when you use aa stun/aa crush, pair the increased proc chance from pally yaulp with the large procs on everything and and all the undead mobs and I feel like paladin dps is going to be really good this expansion, I'm still sticking with SK though, gonna parse those sympathetic procs paired with lifetap spam later

Only registered members can see post attachments!

blatman fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 14, 2019

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

If you want to get decent bard dps, one of the tricks later on when you get the Selo's Kick AA is to sing Amplification (level 30 song) constantly as it buffs selo kick and also buffs itself every time it reapplies, it lasts about a minute so you can just toss it in your melody hotkey so it refreshes at like 13 seconds and as long as you don't get stunned you'll kick like a madcunt. Looking through my logs for when I did some TBL missions yesterday and my biggest kick was 289k damage but that was with burns running

Another thing to do is use weapons with good procs paired with the level 71 song Jonthan's Mightful Caretaker, this song overwrites overhaste song, is self only but it provides overhaste and a hefty proc mod

I recommend boxing the bard with a mage, bst or tank, bards have a hell of a time grinding without someone they can buff and they can't tank or heal worth a drat but if you pair bard songs with a knight you can usually forego a healer entirely for a lot of content if you self heal proactively

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I get incredible mileage out of sk bard, the sk takes a shitload of time and effort to get adequate gear, augs and AA but I can focus nearly 100% on playing the sk while leaving the bard on autofollow singing songs and just quickly alt tab, hit my "/assist main /pause 3 /attack" hotkey and then tab back into the sk, only other upkeep things I do are tabbing to bard to pop cooldowns and reapply aa selos every couple of minutes. Once you get good at positioning an autofollowing melee you don't have to deal with manually moving him around at all since you can just strafe around to get the bard hitting something

Passthrough melee doesn't exist in Eq1 so I deal with the target switching thing by just leaving my bard on his own target and shooting out aoe aggro every so often, I can kill like 2 or 3 things with the buffed SK by the time the bards target is dead but sometimes I micromanage a bit and when I see a mob getting low I tab to bard and switch him to something with higher hp, I do this to steal killshots on the SK for Mortal Coil procs

It's worth mentioning that the Rigelon's Reckless Renewal line that increases the crit chance of heals by like 25% seems to be modified by stringed instruments and also allows uncrittable heals to start critting when it's running. This means your healer merc gains a ton of really unpredictable healing throughput and also if you bandolier a pair of heal-the-tank proc weapons on bard and pop abilities that increase proc rate you're gonna be churning out a good amount of burst healing to help cover any gaps between lifetap crits and merc heals landing

Bard is the perfect box to go with an SK if you don't really want high-effort boxing but still want to kill more mobs, once you get good at managing all the bards group cooldowns and the sks burns you can mow down a lot of otherwise difficult group content with minimal backup and if there's too many mobs to handle tanking them all at once you can just use your aoe mez melody

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Since you're 2boxing, don't stress over weapon skills falling behind because you can just duel your box and melee his merc for skillups like it was a mob

I wrote an SK guide for my guild about a year ago, a lot of the information is either inaccurate now or will be inaccurate when tov comes out so once I redo it I'll link it here but that won't be for a couple of weeks at best

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

ToV trip report, day 1:

Did a couple quests in EW, 2 out of the 3 needed for..merc achievement I think? 3rd quest npc wasn't up, apparently it's down on a bunch of servers and it's being manually popped as GMs sober up. Our group was fairly low dps and I was the only one with decent gear (sk), mobs seemed to die at a decent pace and the 6 or so namers we picked up by tracking across the zone went down like sacks of rocks

Went to Great Divide, did the 3 merc tasks and got like 25% of a level for killing a few mobs, achievement exp this expansion is nutty

All the gear we've found has been attunable including the T1 visibles

One thing I can't figure out is what to do with Crystallized Velium Ore, it's no trade and tradeskill flagged but there's no info anywhere on it, I'm wondering if I passed on a bunch of tradeskill tier tokens

Mobs don't hit too hard either, if I was proactive about lifetapping I could 2h pretty much whatever but I have max aa/augs/group gear so ymmv but I feel like this is EoK 2.0 with sellable T1 gear

edit: got a crystallized velium ore and a crystallized precious velium ore (https://items.eqresource.com/items.php?id=163797) but there's no information online for this, people say the first one is like a diminished muhbis for ToV but what the hell is the second one?

blatman fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 19, 2019

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Subscription gives you the ability to be viable at higher levels (can get Alternate Advancement points past the piddly f2p cap, mercs that aren't garbage, gear better than tier 1, automatically get a ton of free AA while leveling) and expansion gets you all the expansions you're missing, which should just be..2 I think? You can realistlcally stay free to play until useful AA start showing up at like 55 and then sub and click the autogrant button and you're golden until close to the level cap.

Stay away from tanks and necros, tanks because of the massive time investment required to be better than a mage/bst pet and necros because they're obnoxious to play (especially if you start raiding holy poo poo that's a lot of dots to manage, hope you like swapping full spell sets between dot applications to keep like 30 up) I always recommend beastlord to people since they do good damage, their pets are good tanks, their debuffs turn mobs into gigantic chumps, they can feign death, they provide good buffs and they're reasonably involved (you cast a lot of spells, meleeing, manage pet but that's easy) so you won't get bored and you can pop a healer mercenary and kill stuff pretty much anywhere you want. Beastlord is also a really good farming class for current content bazaar loot because you can murder rares for gear and then sell it to people who can't, depending on the rare all you'll need is a good pet focus earring and a healer merc. Only problem with bst is you have no easy way of splitting mobs and your pet has no aoe aggro so if you get an add you're gonna have to swap his target to build aggro on everything

tl;dr subscribe at 55ish, play a beastlord

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

If you're in the new Great Divide watch out for this guy "Thosgromri Warmgranite", I pulled him and popped deflection as is tradition and as soon as it fell off I instantly fell over dead, gamparse claims he hit me 221 times for a total of approx 3 million damage

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Does anyone have any tips for the achievement "Zero Loss (Group)" for the mission "Restless Assault" in GD? I know you can direct the dwarf armies to various places in the zone but I can't figure out where the hell to send them so the bosses don't just murder the civilians anyway

I got all the other ToV group achievements no problem but this one is frustrating because of how large the zone is and how it's not entirely obvious you've failed when a civilian dies and his corpse immediately despawns

edit: got it by dedicating one guy to tracking stray wolves and grabbing them, woot proc augs unlocked

blatman fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 13, 2020

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

oh god I recognize that second guy

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

RCarr posted:

That’s nice, Dad.

If he's who I think he is, he was boxing a group on live for awhile but didn't really like to talk about his EQ shennanigans to people which is entirely understandable. This was in..2015 I think? so before this batch of TLPs. Anyway, good to know that EQ people actually exist and aren't just a fable like the mothman, makes me feel good about my choice of hobbies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

It's super creepy seeing exact carbon copies of people I know show up as bad internet personalities, I don't like it and it makes me worried that I knew internet people in the real world