Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

xZAOx posted:

You're correct for getting into the 7th hammer - but according to ZAM, if the monk isn't the one who has it, then it won't spawn the epic version.

The normal version can drop the piece too though, which would get me in, but according to Monkly Business, if the monk isn't flagged, he won't be able to loot the corpse.

So basically, they want to PoJ trails to be part of the monk epic. Along with tailoring and pottery being around 130. Baking needs to be up there too, but haven't seen a trivial on it yet. Weee!

PoJ trials are super trivial these days, probably won't take more than an hour to knock them all out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

drat it, I think I'm about to resub again. Last time I was playing, /taskadds were all the rage for quick levels and AA. Is that still going on much?

Not sure if anyone plays on Quellious, but if so keep an eye out for Moro/Goldmund (monk and druid combo).

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

xZAOx posted:

Sweet! Didn't think they'd do one again so soon. Time to go buy some more Wal-mart station cards (2000 points for $15.00, which is 4000 points during double SC - that's right, $15.00 for $40.00).

Can you buy expansions with station cash? I can't check any game related sites at work, but if so I might have to go stock up on cards.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is it still possible to bypass launchpad to get in the game? I remember that it used to be, but I don't recall how. Just got home with a stack of Station Cash cards, and now I can't get into the game.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

jetz0r posted:

You should be able to redeem GCs on the website by going into the account menu.

Here's a c&p from my guild board about logging in without using the patcher:

The following instructions will create a shortcut that will open EverQuest without patching and also inputs a chosen string as the username:

Browse to your EverQuest folder.
Right click "eqgame.exe".
Click "Send To" and select "Desktop (create shortcut)" in the context window.
On your desktop now appears an icon with the text "Shortcut to eqgame". Right click the icon and select "Rename" from the context menu.
Input a name. Perhaps, a descriptive name, specific to which account this shortcut is to trigger (Example: "EverQuest - NoPatch \\ NAME").
Right click the newly renamed shortcut, and select "Properties" from the context menu.
Append the Target's Textbox Text (which should currently contain a string that represents the complete file path to eqgame.exe held within quotes) with the following text:
patchme /login:YourUserName

An example of an appended Target's Textbox text could be illustrated as:
"C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest\eqgame.exe" patchme /login:UserName

Thanks for the writeup. I almost had it right, but I was putting a dash in front of patchme. Works great now!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hoohah posted:

I'm thinking of adding another class to my little bot group, and would like opinions.

I currently have:
Warrior
Cleric
Enchanter
Ranger

I'd honestly like a leather class so the leather defiant stuff doesn't go to waste, but I'm bad at managing nuke agro so druid is eh and I'm not sure how much I like the utility of a beastlord when I already have slow/snare. Monk would be okay I guess for additional DPS and split pulling, but doesn't seem like they bring much else and with enchanter its usually easier to just bring everything.

I'd really, really like to add a bard, but 3x plate makes me wary, unless gear at 80+ isn't quite so bad as the current hoping for lots of plate (and getting leather) is.

I'd say druid is by far your best bet. Nukes, heals, ports, and boatloads of utility. Nuke aggro is a non-factor.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

cryptoclastic posted:

From a few pages back, but doesn't the mob in PoA death touch? How did you deal with that, if I might ask?

Can't say anything about this mob specifically, but for other DT mobs you just send the pet in first to eat the DT, then burn him down before he can cast it again.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I wouldn't let the loss of a few level 65 characters deter you from coming back. I spent about 20 hours this weekend getting a bard from 1-70 with his epic 2.0, and I could have cut that time in 1/3 if I'd been more prepared.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone know of good group spots/instances for grinding exp at 85? I'm rolling now with an 86 monk with 2k AA, 86 druid with 1.5k AA, 86 shaman with 200ish AA and a 73 bard with 0 AA. I want to get the shaman and bard up to the 1000-1500 range before I switch back to normal exp. So far I've been pulling trains of 20-30 mobs in Loping Plains, but if anyone has a better spot they're willing to share I'm all ears.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

I would strongly recommend taking some time to earn some AA with your bard, if only to get a few core abilities that really revolutionise the class. My bard has less than 100 AA (and is only 67), but I have invested heavily in movement speed enhancing abilities (Level 5 Innate Run Speed, both levels of Fleet of Foot, and 1 of 3 levels of Selo's Enduring Cadence which I can't improve any further until 68), Bellow (instant-cast pulling DD ability with a huge range) and, perhaps most importantly, Fading Memories (instant cast aggro wipe with 1 second cooldown). These abilities really make bards fantastic pullers and I think would really complement your other classes. Then again, you have a monk with an ungodly amount of AA already, so maybe you don't care.

Yeah, I should probably switch over and snag 50ish or so AA on the bard before I go back to leveling on him. He's only got about 20 hours /played right now, and probably half of that was spent getting his 1.5 epic. The monk is my long time main, and I cut my teeth pulling raids from Veeshan's Peak era all the way to Depths of Darkhollow, so he's probably always going to be my go-to puller. :)

Creative Bicycle posted:

Get your bard to 75 and do the task "Filling the Repository" in Pellucid Grotto. If you keep him at 75 for a while he'll get around 25-27aa per task turn in (every 6 hours) + the exp from killing the mobs needed to do the task. You need to be 75 to get the rewards from the task though. At 86 you get around 15-17aa per turn in, or almost one full yellow of normal exp.

Sounds promising, thanks. Is there a six hour lockout on the task?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

I'd like it if we could talk about the bard 1.5. My bard has his 1.0 and, thanks to Loon, also has the first bit of his 1.5 from Dragon Necropolis, though I need to get him back out there and start picking up those bits of dragon bone in order to do that first sequence of fights.

I've only browsed the 1.5 epic quest, but it apparently requires a lot of foraging in Skyfire (ick) and killing several small dragons. Honestly, I just hate asking for help for anything, which I realise is an utterly retarded attitude to have in just about any MMORPG.

Speaking of dragons, Loon and I taking down Zlandicar last night (by which I mean I basically stood there while Loon's rogue eviscerated him) in about 18 seconds was still one of the funniest things I have ever seen. I knew that the older dragons would be trivial at this point in the game's life cycle, but I never imagined how much so.

Anyway, please hit me up in game - Sypherr (67 Wood Elf Bard) or Nylander (66 Wood Elf Druid).

Well I actually play on Quellious/Povar, so I won't be able to help in game, but I can try to answer any questions you have here.

The foraging in Skyfire should be easy for you. The globes are droppable, so you can just port in with your druid and get all 4 right where you zone in. I think it only took me about 15 minutes for that.

There is a bit of farming needed in Dragon Necropolis, but nothing you couldn't knock out in an evening on your own. The fights there will be the hardest part for you, but if you can get a level 95 or a few 85ish to help out it should be cake.

The worst bit for me was farming the Dragorn Bloods. You need 8, and they are a rare spawn off Dragorns in Wall of Slaughter or Nobles Causeway. Drop rate is supposedly better in WoS, but it still took me 4 clears of every dragorn in the zone to get what I needed. That would be pretty rough at 67 I'd think, so you'd probably have to go to Nobles Causeway for them.

You'll also have to farm components for the diamonds you need (which you'll need a level 65 or higher enchanter to make). They are all droppable, so if you're lucky you can find them in the bazaar. Most of the bits were quick drops for me, but Metallic Liquid can be a huge pain in the rear end (and still sells for 5-7k each on my server).

Honestly the bard 1.5 is the hardest and most time consuming of any epic in my opinion, but the clicky is most definitely worth the effort.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Haven't played EQ since Diablo 3 came out, and just saw the EQ Facebook post about SC not being usable on subs starting Monday. Sucks that they are going away, but pretty cool that subs are half price right now. Now I have 2 years locked in on 4 accounts. Dunno how much I'll actually be playing, but $15 for a year is pretty drat sweet.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Are there any other tasks that are similar in exp reward to Filling the Repository? Love that task, but hate the 5 hour lockout on it and am looking for something else to do after I finish it up.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

xZAOx posted:

Warriors have bash don't they? That should stun them. Dealing with runners is a constant theme of EQ.

For augments, you gotta find a distiller. There's one in PoK, and one in the guild hall. It looks like a bird bath.

They actually changed the way augments work in the patch yesterday. I haven't tried it yet, but supposedly you can add/remove/swap augs right in the item description window.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've got a 5-box setup on Povar (war/monk/druid/shaman/bard) that has been chewing through HoT progression. I'm currently at 95% into level 92 on all 5 chars, and am wondering if it might be a good idea to hold at 92 and AA for a bit. I'm working on aug camps for the warrior, and I'd prefer to maximize exp while I do it. I saw earlier in the thread someone mentioned that 92 is kind of a magic level, and a lot of good exp spots dry up once you ding 93. I only have RoF on one box, so won't be going past 95 any time soon in any case. Any thoughts on that plan?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Flarestar posted:

It's a good plan.

HoT T3 and T4 zones are excellent AA at 92 still. Ding 93 and watch your exp go into the tank. I experienced this first hand on my rogue.

Sounds good, thanks for the info. HoT has been a really fun expansion to work through, I'll be sad once the exp dries up there. I've heard that VoA really sucks in comparison, but how does RoF stack up?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I don't think 1 delay can make up for 13 raw damage. It's been a long time since I've run parses to compare weapons, but I can't imagine those two would be very close.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Donny J posted:

I used to play ages ago, stopped right around GoD I think, and have a 66 Paladin floating around on some server. I'm looking to reroll as a Mage, and was wondering which server would be best to start up on. I'm going to try to eventually set up boxing once I get a feel for the game again, but I've never been that good at it so I would hope to find a decent population of people to group with when necessary.

If you're looking to group as you level up, I can suggest Vox. I recently leveled from 1-60ish there to play with some old friends, and had no problems hopping into pickup groups on the way. Every zone I leveled in had multiple pickup groups going, which was quite a surprise coming from a mature server.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm close to hitting 95 now on my box group (monk/war/bard/sham/dru) and am looking for some "projects" to work on. By that, I mean stuff like the MPG trials that maybe not everyone knows about these days, but can still offer a nice bonus for high level characters. I'm thinking about doing the DoN raid progression for the AAs it unlocks next. Anyone have some other suggestions for older quest lines that would still be of benefit to modern characters?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Great suggestions, looks like I'll be busy for a while.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

jetz0r posted:

DoN progression AAs
MPG resist AAs
2.0s for select classes
OoW BPs for select classes
PoR raid and group BPs for select classes
DoN quest clickie from Vish + Yar'lir eyes for select classes
Dodge aug from EF LDoNs
Specialization aug(s) from LDoN raids (type 8 augs, so needs raid gear)
PoSky quested items for select classes
Shawl quest line for most classes
Old Man McKkenzie clickies of various power
BiC aug is still useful for some classes
DA clickies from various missions.
Wood elf illusion 'quest'
Jester illusion & 24 slot bag quest

I'm sure there's stuff I'm missing. It's a bit easier when you're only looking for 1 or 2 classes and can cut a lot of these.

From current stuff, the Crystal Circle builder's aug, the collection aug and the Hero aug are all really good.

This is a pretty kickass list. Thanks!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I ran a few LDoN last night, working towards the dodge aug. There is a trick to requesting one at high levels, since the average level can't exceed 82, and you can't have more than a 15 level spread. Basically, all you need to do is invite one character to your group and have them camp out for the duration. That player counts as a level 0 for your average, but doesn't count against your level spread since it is camped out. I was able to get my group of 5 level 94 dudes in with no problem.

Also, I'd suggest killing every mob and looting. Seemed the average coin drop was about 12p per corpse, and there were lots of gems as well. Mob density is pretty high, so it adds up quick.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

You know, honestly I didn't even try requesting one normally first. Everything I found online pointed to a level cap, but with a game this old it's hard finding current info on everything. I'll have to try it later.

I've been playing off and on since beta, but LDoN never really grabbed me. Most of my play time was spent raiding, and I wasn't a fan of instanced content back then. I love instances now that I play mostly solo/boxing though.

Edit: Yup, I'm a retard. Was just able to request an LDoN with 5 94's in group, no problems.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 7, 2013

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've been working on DoN progression this weekend, and there is something insanely satisfying about soloing a raid that you can remember wiping on with 53 other people helping.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

VoA can suck a bag of dicks. I've been working on progression, and got up to the nut punch that is Avatar of Steel in the Illdaera's Vengeance mission. My team is level 95 with RoF gear, how the gently caress did people kill this rear end in a top hat when it was current content?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Well, I'll go give it another shot. I think I must be having a problem with positioning. He is standing in a pool of water, and that was making it very hard to hit. It didn't help that he is rooted, so the time spent moving everyone into position kinda screwed me from the start. I think this time I'll try having everyone set before I move the tower into position and activate him.

Here is the warriors magelo, he has the lowest AA in the group, and I just finished off filling his aug slots. http://eq.magelo.com/profile/2490357

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is RoF expansion sold anywhere other than direct from Sony? I really don't want to pay $40 per account, when a new expansion is on the way.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

So glad I didn't break down and buy RoF x 5 last month.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone still have some Kronos they wanted to sell?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is there any way to get RoF expansion (on a live server) without paying for CotF as well? I've got 5 accounts sitting at 95, and I wouldn't mind getting them to 100, but not at $40 a box.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone want to sell me 5 kronos for $50 before I go the PA route?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Psykmoe posted:

Last time I came back I read that that after a certain point, some classes need a fair investment in AA abilities to keep being able to solo, but I can't remember if Mercs existed yet at that point. So my question is, if I were to pick my SK back up, is there a level range/zone where I should settle in to grind out AA points before continuing, or what?

Good news! If you have a gold account on a production server, or play on test server, you will get your AA maxed out at every level up to 85 automatically. No more grinding AA at lower levels!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

MrTheDevious posted:

Sure doesn't exist anymore. Rangers don't get double damage from mobs that're running to I guess prevent them from using their bow as a really effortless dot, but it's pretty easy to see for yourself that actual dots aren't affected at all

I wanna say it got put in around Kunark era, and lasted for quite a few years, but I don't remember when they did away with it. I remember lots of druids (including me) learning to quad-kite around that time.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

MrTheDevious posted:

Man I remember my first ever character back in 99, a druid, hitting 35 at the FM giant fort and no longer needing to stare at the book. I logged him out 20 minutes later because I'd won the game and made the monk I played for 8 years after :allears:

Hah, I don't know what it is exactly, but I know so many launch druids that rerolled monks back then. I got my druid to 60, camped a fungi tunic and a few knuckle dusters, and then switched to my iksar monk fulltime.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I had 5 heroic chars to gently caress around with, so I rolled a paladin, necro, mage, wizard and enchanter. Still working on getting my main box crew to 100, so hopefully by the time I get around to these new guys the crazy rush of 85s will have worn off a bit.

My main crew is at 96 now: monk, druid, bard, shaman and warrior. I've also got an 80 sk and 80 cleric hanging around too. Christ I have played way too much EQ over the years.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 13, 2014

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Zhentar posted:

For my first Heroic, I made a Necro. I'm going to try to recover a second old account today and make a Shaman. Hopping onto the Necro last night was a bit overwhelming with a huge pile of skills & spells that I know nothing about, and I'm sure the Shaman tonight will be the same deal. Are there any decent guides that can teach me the basics of either class's high level play?

A heroic char starter guide would be pretty great. Just something to break down all the important spells/skills/aa you should be using for each class at 85 in different settings.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

MrTheDevious posted:

The dispel monk clicky is the same Anguish robe we've already been talking about above for necros, it's just the monk version. That said, it is NOT instant click, it's like 0.8 or something and IMO not even remotely worth the time required. You can get one if you want just so you look like a legit monk, but you'll never, ever use it. I got mine years ago and used shuriken from PoTime instead anyway because gently caress that cast time. If you want to diehard farm something for the monk, farm OMM for the 10% overhaste if you can't get AM3 from Tower or somewhere. Neither the Anguish robe nor the epic 1.0 are functionally useful at 100 outside of very rare edge cases

I use my robe all the time for dispelling mobs as I bring them into camp.

Are the 14th anniversary tasks not active yet? I can't find the Sheriff in Steamfont.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 16, 2014

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Does anyone know how to spawn the 14th anniversary quest giver in the Convorteum? On Alla it says to kill a roaming failed creation in the temple, loot a note and that spawns a bellikos inquirer. I can't find any failed creations inside, and I've killed about 20 around the lava pool area and none have dropped a note.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

saintonan posted:

Those are expected to go live tomorrow (Wednesday March 26). There's a post on the official forums that they basically split the 14th Anniversary quests, half starting last week, half starting this week. FWIW, that is the right trigger mob, once they actually turn on the spawn again.

Thanks, I thought they had turned all the 14th quests on last week. Not sure why they are splitting them up like this. I've done the Steamfont quest about 5 times now, and still haven't gotten a single aug to drop. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone know how long you can put off accepting a quest/mission reward? It will probably be six months or more before I buy the new expansion and play again, and I'm sitting on a few partisan rewards from RoF zones.