Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
What do people think of the PG Zeta? Does it still hold up? I had one like six years ago that suffered a catastrophic accident and I'd like to put together a new one as the centerpiece of a new gunpla collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
How's the GP01, then? I'm a bit sad they never made a perfect grade GP02.

Edit:

BlitzBlast posted:

PG Zeta is pretty outdated now, and its price is equal to 3-4 top tier MGs. For a centerpiece I'd honestly recommend getting the Nu vKa and the upcoming Sazabi vKa instead.

This is probably good advice. Maybe I'll build some Titans and Neo Zeon models instead and get more play and building fun.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
After looking at the Nu ver. Ka, I'm definitely going to pick that up. Maybe a perfect grade at a later date, but that thing is gorgeous. Do the funnels do the opening-up thing? How do I get one of those wacky articulating stands?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

TaurusOxford posted:

The fin funnels do open up, and Nu ver. ka comes with a stand so you can pose the fin funnels.

Neat. Definitely going to make this a purchase once I can clear it with the missus.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

BlitzBlast posted:

Consider picking up the BTF Expansion kit too. It'll give you effect parts for the funnels and a much better way of keeping them together. Psychoframe funnels too. :v:
Nice. I wasn't sure about the double fin kit but I'll definitely consider it.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Is there anything I can do to tighten up the finger joints on the Nu ver. Ka? Whoever thought it was a good idea to scale finger articulation down was a maniac who must have had tiny baby hands but the coordination of a concert pianist.

In fact, is there any way to tighten up joints in general, without gluing them stuck? Now that I think about it, the skirt armor also needs something to make it hold form better. And there's two pieces on the backpack that I'll probably have to cement into place at some point, since they're downward-facing with no pegs or slots or anything.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
It's that good, huh?

Well, while I'm on Nu-Ka questions, is there any point to the eyes sticker if this thing's got space for an LED in its body? I'm thinking I made a mistake by putting that on and I was thinking of either opening the head to remove it or cutting the green parts out so I'd still get shining eyes if I decide to buy a couple LEDs for this and future builds.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Well, the Nu-Ka has silver stickers for the back of all the green panels, but some of them are goddamned impossible to put on. So maybe that silver paint approach might work better on those, where no one is going to see it except from one angle.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

BlitzBlast posted:

DON'T.

Those are supposed to be loose, they're part of the Nu vKa's "transformation". Same goes for the skirt armor actually. I cemented mine in place because I was sick of it falling off all the time, and I found out that made it much harder to mess around with the thrusters.

Really? The two shrouds around the thruster banks? Yeesh. Okay.

I'm going to have to get a bottle of that future shine stuff, though. What's the best way to apply it? Brush? Spray bottle on the mist setting? Complete immersion? Ingested orally?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

BlitzBlast posted:

You can either handbrush or airbrush it. Pick whichever is more convenient for you.

Cool, thanks to everyone for all the info. I'll definitely have to coat the hands before I lose a finger to the carpet.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I don't suppose anyone knows where I can get spare hands for the Nu ver. Ka, do they? I lost a knuckle for good today. Popped out and then when I was trying to put it back on, it made a break for it. My desk is dark plastic and my floor is fairly deep carpet and frankly these hands are goddamn idiotic. Molded three or four-part hands would have been more than sufficient.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

BlitzBlast posted:

If you live in America, GK parts is your man. The Nu vKa's hands cost 1200 yen, and sadly you can not just buy one. You really should see if you can find the piece.''

Yeah I bitched about this too. But, fact is,

the Emotion Manipulators are loving amazing once you've gotten them coated. The sheer amount of things you can do with them more then makes up for the hassle of building them.

Now if only I was more careful with mine. :negative:

You are correct about them being really impressive when they're posed, but the fact is that they leave absolutely no room for error. Actually, this is overall the feeling I get with the Nu ver. Ka; it's super wobbly and stuff like the psychoframe transformation forces you to put a lot of pressure on very specific points to get it to work, especially in the legs.

Also, I'm thinking I might just glue the funnels together. One of the display arms broke last night too, and as a backpack they are the flimsiest. Maybe a piece of scotch tape along the back to at least keep them in one set on the backpack.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

TaurusOxford posted:

How did the display arm break? The funnels aren't even close to being heavy enough to break the arms. You could just invest in these if you want to have solid fin funnels.

I was bending it at the middle, and the rotating socket for the middle joint snapped in two. I was trying to find a way around the fact that the ball joints on the end pegs almost always guarantee the funnels end up in a horizontal position, but ended up just pulling them all of the stand and setting them aside.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
It's also possible that the wobble is my fault somehow. I'm a huge dude with hand tremors and I do my best to compensate but sometimes I can't help being brutish and shaky.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
That thing on the right that looks like it has shields for legs, what in the world is that?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Oh man, and they have a 1/100 one. Anyone know if the no-grade 1/100 Gams Gundam is worth it?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

TaurusOxford posted:

1/100 Gundam Virtue is a horrible kit. Don't buy it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OraXIAWdhZY - this review demonstrates why.

Good to know. I love kits with tons of removable parts, so that's a shame.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
But the FAZZ has that huge goofy gun :(

I don't much have a problem with old kits, unless there's a specific reason why they're flawed. I bought an MG Gouf Custom when I bought the Nu ver. Ka, and it's honestly pretty nice. Wish the shield could be separated from the gatling components, but it's a sturdy build overall.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Midjack posted:

That is a bad as poo poo build but it is waaaaaaay past the point at which it stops being fun to do.

I wish the rainbow accents on the funnels were standard equipment, though. Hell, any piece of rainbow accent on an MS would be nice.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
God drat it another piece of the Nu ver. Ka broke tonight. gently caress it, I need to shove it on a shelf and never touch the thing again, it's got tons of fragile little bits to break, especially with the transformation parts on the forearms. What's the best adhesive for these things?

At this point I really can't recommend the Nu version Ka to anyone who likes to play around with their kits even a little bit. I'm probably cursed from the start, given my heavy hands coupled with hand tremors, but the trade-off for the articulation that this kit has is definitely that it's fragile as gently caress. I need to make my next kit a sturdy one without all this gimmicky poo poo to break.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Bimmi posted:

I've cemented broken parts and sanded the join smooth before. It doesn't look too bad, really.

I've got fat flippin' fingers and a shake myself, but I can still do the fiddly kits okay. It's more a matter of getting a feel for despruing and placing fragile parts than anything else, which is a skill best practiced on simpler kits (I don't buy the widespread notion that MGs are no harder to build than HGs… they ARE more difficult, and smaller more fragile pieces is a big reason why)

What broke and how did it break, if I might ask?

I25 on the right arm. The elbow side of the transforming armor on the forearm. The piece has sort of a Y shape, and one of the side pieces snapped off. Honestly, if I can fuse it back into place, it'll probably look fine, and I plan on keeping it with the psychoframe pieces exposed anyway.

I vastly prefer the master grade kits, though. I think the extra detail and occasional gimmicky bits are definitely worth the complexity of building them, and the size agrees better with my own bulky design as well.

But back to the broken bit- it's a tiny break, and on the internal side of the armor piece, so if I can find a way to fuse it, it's likely no one would notice. I suppose I'll have to clamp it, though.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Hey now, the only thing I wasn't ready for was the articulated hands, the funnels, and the transformation stuff. I like a lot of things about the kit, I just pressed too hard on one side of the forearm and a piece snapped. It's also been half a day so I'm a lot less mad. :shobon:

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
In my youth I smashed the leg of my PG Zeta right at the hip joint and failed in every attempt to glue it back together. That's why I quit building before, and I'm promising myself that I won't let myself get that careless ever again. It's also why I'd like another PG Zeta, since I feel like I need to do right by the kit now that I'm hopefully a bit more responsible.

The Nu ver. Ka has a lot going for it. The joints on it are articulated like nothing I've ever seen, and are all insanely sturdy. The legs are nice and sleek, the feet hold it well, it's got a ton of accessories, and the articulation lets you strike some really nice poses. Putting the mount for the stand so that it braces on both the back and the backpack was genius and holds it there with ease. But those hands are nuts and you are going to find yourself missing knuckles if you don't pose them with tweezers.

I just ordered some future shine, plastic cement, and a brush kit. I won't be able to do much this weekend but once everything arrives I'll try to set aside an afternoon and coat the hands before I swallow a pinky or something.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Bimmi posted:

It's amazing how easy it is to break joints on those larger models. Sometimes I'll pre-break and reinforce them just so I won't have to deal with it later.

Yeah, well, leaving it on my floor wasn't smart, and falling out of my chair was simply the straw. One day I'll build another, take the armor off half of it, and put it on a shelf.

I also had to cement the leg of a Gouf kit together, and stripped the screw on one joint to boot. In fact, I think almost all my old kits suffered some sort of career-ending injury and got thrown away. Others got swallowed in the maelstrom that was my room at my parents house and disappeared. I've got a lot of sins to make up for, and a lot of kits to re-purchase.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

BizarroAzrael posted:

How is the MG Nu Gundam ver.Ka out of the box? I can't use my airbrush in university halls, but would like to perhaps take it apart and paint it later.

Search my post history in this thread- it's a great kit but if you've been out of the MG game a while prepare to lose knuckles on those tiny hands.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
What's wrong with hooking it up outside and seeing if it sprays?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Fauxtool posted:

BEARGGUY-san complete!

Ill see about getting some better pictures up later.

This is my first HG build since those terrible US release wing kits.
Im really impressed by the build quality. It has 2 different kinds of polycap materials and I counted 3 different plastics. The frame is a harder plastic compared to the softer yellow pieces. The bow on the back is a soft rubber. The model as a whole hides the sprue marks very well, I barely sanded anything.
The manual was very concise, I never had to double check what I was doing.

I noticed some light swirls in the plastic leading me to believe the pigment wasnt fully mixed. I dont know if this is common or just in my batch. I dont care since i will be painting it.
Lots of leftover pieces including the head plates from the Acguy
7/10

If i can expect this quality I may switch off MGs

It looks good but really what I'd like to hear is your rating of the dog. How's the build quality on that?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Does it have the Fighting Action frame?

What about a core fighter? Does that dog have a core fighter? In the show that model had one, but the last dog Bandai released didn't have one.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Fauxtool posted:

2/10 random kit bash of several dogs, constantly leaking fluids.

It comes with 2 faceplates and 12 sets of eyes. The face plates are grooved for 3 of the eyes

I paid extra for the hobbyshop exclusive Full Armor version. Like every FA kit, all the pieces fly off as soon as you turn your back

You're doing god's work here, son.

Do they have plans for any Master Grade stuff from Build Fighters? How does that usually work, do they just throw out HG models first and see what sticks, then upscale, or what?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
You know, a Gouf Custom 2.0 would be a must-buy for me. Especially if the gatling shield would detach like it should. Also, option parts for a Gouf flight version.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I think that excess material is called "flash". You can get most of it with clippers, or a hobby knife if you're careful. Some spots are way harder to get rid of than others, like on the inside of curves.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Whoever was talking about how sturdy the Zaku II 2.0 was, wasn't kidding. This is a good-feeling kit with way more articulation than one might expect. My only real complaints would be the lack of a proper peg system for the weapons to mount on(the machine gun in particular feels real floppy in one hand) and the pipes. Oh, man, my hands still hurt from moving segments along those pipes. The old way was way worse, but it hurt a lot less afterwards.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So I painted some eyes!

Those are the v2.0 Zaku and v3.0 RX-78-2 MGs, and as enormous as the nubs look on the bottom of the Gundam's helmet, they're small enough that I can barely see them unaided. I guess that's what I get for using a macro lens, I thought it'd make some cool photos but it's late and I should have been shooting with daylight instead.

Here's some pictures of the finished kits. Both of them are super sturdy, although the sheer number of little flaps and bits on the Gundam 3.0 make it kind of a hassle to pose. Bandai definitely, DEFINITELY learned their lesson when it came to the hands, though; the ball joints fit together much better than the Nu ver. Ka, and I haven't had a single knuckle try to escape yet!

(Those last two are the same kit, sorry for the color difference. I blame my camera having a real hard time with my lovely illumination.)

I also built a MG Ez8, but I smudged red paint on the face while building it and I haven't cleaned it off yet. It looks like it was involved in a heavy makeout session with Nobel Gundam or something; it's kind of embarassing. I have a Gundam Marker Eraser; what's in that? It smells like rubbing alcohol; is that all?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Some guidelines on painting and additional recommended equipment would be appreciated next time around. Also, that floor wax guide picture.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
loving annoying when every MS's page on the Gundam wikia has like three lovely fanart MS Girls on it.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Hey, there, um... There wouldn't happen to be a G-Fortress MG kit, would there? Maybe as an accessory pack for the RX-78-2 v3.0?

EDIT: Also I kinda really want the colony drop one.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Yeah! That dumb thing. I was just wondering how much extra crap I can put on this kit before it's structurally unstable. So far the only real weak points are the shoulder armor and the hip skirts, which both have a lot of pieces that don't really snap but rather push into each other, and the ball joints on the hip skirts are kinda loose at times. Having them like that means you can pretty much pose the legs any way you'd want legs to pose, but it doesn't take a lot of force for them to just pop out.

Also, speaking of core fighters, I was thrilled that the 3.0 still has a full core block system. For some reason when I'd heard that it had a full internal frame, I was worried that somehow they hadn't figured out how to manage that with the core block, but damned if they hadn't. Bandai's got some really goddamn smart people working on really silly problems for expensive fragile action figures and I'm really glad they do.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Sliding part transformations are all pretty finicky even on MG kits. I bet that a PG Unicorn would have it completely figured out.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Why ARE you doing that? Taking everything off the rails seems like it would just add excess confusion to any decent build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
You're all loose cannons! I'd go absolutely mad if someone did that to my kits. Unless it was organized by step.

• Locked thread