Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

Does anyone know a good place to buy some Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer in the Los Angeles/San Gabriel area? None of my local hobby shops have it and ebay is all HK sellers.

Robot4less in Fullerton?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Bandai doesn't make it, but that doesn't stop Quanta fans: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BTF-Gundam-M...=item19cb3a7cfd

Yes, it is all molded in proper colored plastic.

Looks kind of interesting; here's one guy's take on it:
http://stargazergunpla.blogspot.com/2012/05/mg-00-qantt-full-saber.html

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kurui Reiten posted:

Oh, also, my local hobby shop doesn't have any Tamiya Plastic Model Cement, and I accidentally snapped off the v-fin of my Gundam X Divider while trying to detail the little bastard. Any suggestions for fixing it, without say, getting a pin vice? I'm not planning to move it around much, and the part's too tiny for any real work. I just wanted something to glue it back on with, but not something horribly bad looking.

Testor's clear is pretty good too. You might try a tiny drop of superglue if nothing else works (small like dip a toothpick in the nozzle and touch it to the join area).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Honest Ray posted:

Additionally, how do you panel line a painted kit? I tried my standard tactic of rubbing off the excess from my sharpie, but it doesn't rub off as easy or at all with it being painted.

I use pigma black and an art gum eraser and it comes off prepainted kits just fine.

EDIT: Sakura Pigma Micron ink tip size 005 pens.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 3, 2012

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

Goddammit, I finally decide to get off my rear end and get MG Turn A and everybody's out of stock. HLJ, AmiAmi, GundamStore, Hobbysearch, ToyArena, everyfuckingbody. And for some reason BBTS and GG Infinite don't even have it listed in the first place. It's like Bandai's placed the entire western hemisphere under a Mustache Embargo after cancelling the DVDs.

So... is it worth waiting the month and a half for the hope of a probable restock, or move onto one of the other kits I've always been meaning to get (In this case, either 00 Raiser or Unicorn Ver. OVA)?

PM me if nothing shakes loose; I have one new in box that I'm not going to get around to for a LONG time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

For the love of god, who thought it was a good idea to make Turn A's forehead logo a dry application :negative:

(Thanks again, Midjack)

Awesome, enjoy the kit! :cheers:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

I officially hate whoever made this:

The original Wing design came out MG, we can always hope.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

00 Raiser would be nice, but I'm honestly torn between it and the 00 Seven Sword.

Seven Sword Raiser, why choose?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

That's honestly my whole problem with the Katoki version of Wing and Wing Zero. It's like Katoki completely scrapped the tv designs for Wing and Wing Zero and did his own thing, whereas with the other four the redesigns still had a lot of characteristics of their tv look.

Wing Zero is still far more over the top than Wing. Deathscythe H is pretty radical too, slightly moreso than the original Wing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Diospace posted:

still waiting for Berserk Fury to release, already saw the prototype looks awesome

Edit: By the way, Anyone know what's this years 1/60 PG gonna be?

I'm guessing either AGE or Freedom.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Diospace posted:

RG Sazabi would be awesome(yeah i'm dreaming),I like Gouf too,But i'm waiting for RG DOM

Edit: MG Aegis looks good,was on to my list.

I'm sure Nu and Sazabi will show up eventually if they stick with RG, but they have to get all this SEED (and Destiny when its anniversary rolls around) nostalgia wankery out of the way first.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mecha Gojira posted:

Holding judgment until at least the prototype, but two words: Ver. Ka. Expect images of the final product to be cluttered with warning decals and extraneous stripes.

We're allowed to not put them on, aren't we?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nasgate posted:

I, for one like the shapes of it, it reminds me of the MK-2, which is the best looking Gundam. And I like the multi-hue style, but they could have gone with a less in your face color than gray.

This may be the first time I've ever heard gray described as an "in your face color" but I can see your point. :cheers:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

Pretty sure I win the prize schmuck award here:

This does not even include all the poo poo that's no longer in boxes, or the dozen or so kits I've picked up since this photo was taken.

If someone were to make me a reasonable offer for the whole goddamn thing I wouldn't turn 'em down.

As long as I exist you can feel better about yourself. I bought out a couple of people who were moving away and gave me a deal, added to my own substantial holdings I have in excess of 200 kits, most of which are untouched in the box:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I should explain that shameful room.

I built plastic models from elementary through high school, though I had to stop in college due to lack of space and time to work on them. Once I got out and started working, I kind of ignored it till I was stuck in Narita airport for a few hours and visited one of the toy stores, where I saw that the state of the art in plastic robot models had advanced quite a bit in the eight years I'd ignored it. I picked one up (HG Strike Noir) and well you can see how that turned out.

It doesn't help that my philosophy on things like this is "if you want it, buy it when you see it because you may never encounter it again" though these things rarely leave production entirely so I kind of need to quit doing that.

My buyout of 2 friends moving away coincided with a ridiculous uptick in my travel rate and number of 50+ hour work weeks - I've spent over a third of the last year away from my house, usually 2-3 days at a time, which has made it really hard to get the focus I need to get one done. When I'm actually home I can turn out about one every 4 days.

Unfortunately, all my time away from the hobby this means I've had to relearn a lot of what I forgot, as well as develop some new skills (never used an airbrush until about a year ago) and I'm hesitant to mess up expensive kits so I've been working on smaller ones until I feel I'm ready to do the big ones (HG Dendrobium!) justice. I'm also kind of a perfectionist, which I'm slowly getting away from, so I've been really slow getting them painted.

TaurusOxford posted:

Stupid question, but do any of you gunpla hoarders ever consider selling some of your unbuilt kits?

I've sold some to people who wanted a particular kit NOW when I know I won't get to it for a while. In addition to that I've straight up given away a dozen or so HGs and SDs to people who wanted to build something but weren't sure/didn't have a lot of spare cash.

TaurusOxford posted:

I don't see why he can't. Hell, i'd buy some if it meant I could avoid those retards on ebay who charge more for shipping than the actual model.

Is there something you really want? PM me.

Silentman0 posted:

That unbuilt Dendrobium is a goddamn shame.

Ironically enough I bought that from someone on this very board a while back. If I were to build it today it really would be a shame; I'm holding back on it till I can give it the treatment it deserves.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kurui Reiten posted:

Granted, I would buy the poo poo out of an MG Kshatriya, and that thing would probably need an entirely metal frame too. Also granted, however, it's relatively compact compared to the Nightingale's massively huge shoulder pads, crotch, and tail.

I don't do resin, but if you do there is a resin 1/100 Kshatriya out there that looks pretty nice when you do it up.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Then I would highly suggest you pass on the Wing Zero Custom. The wing supports are not strong enough to hold them aloft without help for any length of time, parts fly off under pressure fairly regularly if you move it at all, and it's just not very good all around in terms of quality.

It was the first Perfect Grade, after all. Not that it's an excuse.

EDIT:vvvvv I don't know what I was thinking.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 31, 2012

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

Anyone dealt recently with Gundam Store & More? They haven't updated their catalog in three months, and my last email to them went unanswered.

Punch up their toll free number; they're in Ann Arbor:

1-877-448-6326

Little Things Mean A Lot
4403 Concourse Dr # B Ann Arbor, MI 48108
(734) 327-0173

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Hrm... maybe. With previous MGs the lights were always mailaway Japan exclusives :(

Not always. The Exia Ignition Mode included them (though that itself was a limited edition so who knows).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mecha Gojira posted:

Well, Bandai is releasing a Robot Damashii [SIDE MS] ZZ Gundam in January, but obviously that's not a model kit.

Of course, I think I may be the only one who really cares about Robot Damashii.

You're not; I have all the FMP! RDs as well as a few Gundams that caught my eye. Also see the post above mine.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

While I remember, can anyone recommend an online store that won't cripple my wallet with shipping costs to Australia? Or is HLJ just the go-to store? (Couldn't find the shipping rates on the site)

If I remember right, load up the cart and it will calculate shipping when you put in your address.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Thanks for this. Shipping is 980 Yen apparently, so that's actually not too painful. All-in-all it'd only set me $30.

I appreciate this, but I don't intend to dip too deeply into Gunpla as a hobby. I simply don't have the room to store another addictive hobby after videogames. I want to, but I have to be... responsible :negative:.

Good attitude. Don't tread my path.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mecha Gojira posted:

I think I just heard half the thread's wallets explode (Robot Damashii).

Is that Epyon's wing in the lower right?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gamera Banere is doing his model competition again:

http://thosegundamguys.org/southern-california-gundam-model-competition/

It was pretty decent last year and I'll be there again; give it a go if you're in LA that weekend.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I don't think anyone but Bandai had the license for Evangelion model kits so that one may be a bootleg too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'll bet that it's the Strike Rouge. That's about the only one they haven't done.

Strike Rouge has been out for years.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I know, but haven't they been re-doing them all for the HD remaster though?

The HD kits have all been HGs so far. The Strike Rouge is an HG too though it comes with the IWSP and hasn't had a rerelease so far.

If they do HD re-releases of MGs too it will have the MG schedule filled up for the next year or so.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 22, 2012

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MG Hamma-Hamma for #200.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Diospace posted:

RG Destiny! OK, it seen like the RG grade are for the remake Seed and Seed Destiny.
So I think the next one will be Strike Freedom and the one after will be Infinite Justice?

I would imagine the tie in potential with the remasters as well as the chance to substantially reuse the work the already did on RG Freedom and Justice make them a near inevitability, though they may break it up with a UC suit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I am in fact building stuff though I am still terrible at painting. Here's a photo of my most recent build (taken by someone else), which I actually entered in a competition:

I would like to have painted more details (I was lucky to get the eyes painted) and panel lined but my travel schedule ran me out of time. Despite what it looks like, I did paint it in a super basic color scheme and gave it a Future clear coat. I also Future coated the red psychoframe parts.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Popehoist posted:

I own one. It's loving trash and you don't want it. They didn't alter the sprue design for the Titanium Finish version so the result is that it's covered in ugly black sprue marks on very noticable areas.

This is true for basically all shiny extra finish kits.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

So this means something, right? :ohdear:

PLEASE tell me this means something!

It means they're pushing Wing Zero to the arcade games already out there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

Pretty much anything labelled HGUC will be good to start with. There's also a Gunpla Starter Set that has the HGUC Gundam and Zaku II.

I don't paint my kits aside from panel lines and touch-ups, but I believe the main rationale is to have more accurate color schemes (or completely customized color schemes, if you're into that). Pretty much everything Bandai makes comes in pretty accurate colors, but some people like to go that extra mile to make it look nicer. (Removing the plastic/toy look is also a factor.)

Gundam Markers are going to be helpful, but (in my experience) the official Gundam Markers generally don't have fine enough tips to be useful for panel lining without making a mess, although they're still useful for touching up sprue marks or painting places that would ordinarily use a sticker. I like Sakura Micron pens, but other people in the thread might have other suggestions.

I agree with this.

Definitely hit up the resources in the OP under How To and Tutorials. I personally favor Gamera Baenre (http://gamerabaenre.com/?page_id=1202) but they all have something useful to say.

Painting is often used to either make the colors more accurate. HGs especially but kits of all grades often mold pieces a single color rather than making multiple pieces in the correct color (e.g. a gun might be molded into a blue body piece rather than being a separate gray piece that you put on the blue piece). It is also used to cover surface imperfections (removing nubs with sandpaper or a blade) or seam line repairs (using plastic cement or putty). Finally, a lot of people prefer flatter colors to remove the "shiny toy" look; I personally embrace the cartoon robot aesthetic and like them bright and shiny when I'm done but I'm in the minority.

Starting out, I'd go with the suggestion to get a recently-released HG kit. Put it together and panel line it to see if this is something you enjoy before you buy in with paint, putty and more advanced stuff.

If you can get a good deal on a MG kit (like less than $30), those often look better without painting since they have more parts and thus more things molded in the correct color, but they are usually much more expensive and always more complex. If you're used to doing 1000+ piece Lego juggernauts then you'll probably be OK with the level of complexity in an MG.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ignimbrite posted:

Holy crap, never thought I'd see a rozen zulu as a bandai kit. Awesome looking HG.

I think everything we see in Unicorn will get an HG at this rate.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Pretty sure it is when the order is placed.

You can set up a Paypal billing agreement and they won't charge till it ships.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oblique Angle posted:

I think the .25 mm pen is still a bit too big. I dunno if there are any smaller ones than that though.

.2mm is readily available; I use that size a lot.

Good start, keep building and learning!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Well Manicured Man posted:

I might want to branch out and do some non-UC HG kits. I'm thinking something from 00 since that's my favorite non-UC timeline (besides Turn-A), but some of SEED's mobile suit designs are pretty interesting. Are there any good SEED HG kits? At all? I've heard that the HG SEED kits can be pretty abysmal, but I'm not sure if I want to deal with the headaches of an RG kit again.

SEED, 00, and AGE kits benefit from being relatively recent (the latter two especially). I can tell you from personal experience that the HG Freedom has some really bad proportions. The M1 Astray (R16 in the SEED HD series released this year) wasn't part of the initial series and while it likely shares some parts with the earlier Astray kits, it has a better chance of not being terrible.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Well it's more that I don't think I really have the space on my desk for a bunch of 1/100 models.

That's good to hear, thanks.

I don't suppose they ever made an Exia Repair II Seven Swords kit? I saw a bunch of variants for the 00 nearby where I picked up the thing, but it looked like there wasn't any for the Exia II.

I think the only Exia variants you get from Bandai are the Avalanche Exia and the Astrea/Astrea Type F if you count those.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

To be fair, it's not unreasonable to expect Bandai to mold their kits in the proper colors, especially when it's a model from one of their most successful series. That said, the overreaction is ridiculous although I find the 40+ stickers needed for the kit more offensive than the wrong colored plastic.

There's a limit to how much color accuracy you can mold into a HG though, and the Rozen Zulu is a pretty busy design. If it were an MG or RG I could maybe understand it a bit better but come on, you get what you pay for.

And then you paint it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

Char's zaku is pretty pink in the animation but its supposed to be red. The RG kit is not quite red either. They could have made it red if they wanted. They have a proven track record of not making it color accurate if its not blue, black or white.
I wont defend the heels

Johnny Ridden seems to have the lock on the deeper red mobile suits. More Char than Char?

• Locked thread