Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
My goon SO and I are finally taking on our first real cosplay together for Emerald City in March - The Night Watch's Carrot and Angua a la Paul Kidby:

We'll be using mostly craft foam - Already picked up some brown foam to experiment with. I'll work on Angua's collar first, then move out to the bigger projects (belts, skirts, chest plate, helmet). I leaning towards knitted chain mail (or at least experimenting with that as well).

Things I am worried about : The helmet (how the hell do I bend foam like that?), the chest pieces (it's so large . . . the weathering and texture is a bit scary too), and the sandles (Hmmm . . .).

We did take the first step and cobbled together some duct tape dress forms. Now to steal a bunch of free newspapers to stuff them with:

dem titties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

McPantserton posted:

For the helmet, I had good luck building my last one out of a base crappy costume helmet from Goodwill, then built it out with craft foam and papier mache'd the whole deal. I did a write-up with pictures on my blog, if you're interested: http://foamcorps.blogspot.com/2012/09/hildes-helmet.html#more

Thanks so much for the tip (and the blog link!). We'll be on a look out for a stupid kid's helmet. So, I just want to get the steps checked by you: Add foam to helmet to give it the ridges and shape, cover with paper mache for structure. I don't think we'd bother with the clay (unless needed) - so, with a foam and paper mache cobbled helmet, I just can paint it and clear coat it? Is gesso needed before hand and/or are their other alternatives? If you can't tell, I'm horribly new to this :sigh:

Red Robin Hood posted:

I'll be wearing my Stormtrooper armor to Emerald City CC! Can't wait to see you there!

My SO will be jealous of your armor - if you don't see a Carrot and Angua, it's because everything blew up in our faces and we're going as Krieger and Pam from Archer as plan B :( Make sure you ask us if their are stairs in our house, because all you Stormtroopers look the same.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Objurium posted:

I decided to do Khal Drogo from Game of Thrones for Halloween this year and was really happy with how it turned out. Ended up using craft foam heat'n'bonded to a wool backing for the faux-leather girdle thing.

That fake leather came out great! I'm looking to do the same thing with my Night Watch costume. Here's the video that I'll be following: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IZSr2CZRp4

Any hints??

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

The Night Watch costumes that I've been working on has been going well. I've even got knit chain mail on the go :3:. The foam pieces for our roman skirts look really leather-like when they're painted and varnished. The only thorn in my side has been the goddamn Heat n Bond. Can't get the fucker to come out right at all. I've tried using the iron very lightly on the lowest setting for 1 to 2 seconds, and I've tried a bit hotter with a bit more of a press to it, and it always come out the same way - the heat n bond doesn't stick. At all. If I can actually peal the glue part away from the backing, the glue falls right off my fabric. I've tried my Mom's old trick of putting a towel over the Heat n Bond, but that still leaves me with the whole thing not sticking and falling off. (This stuff is the ultra stuff if that makes any difference).

Anyone have some Heat n Bond hints? How do I know the difference between it being too hot and the glue failing and it being too cool and the glue not activating? I don't want to re-hot glue gun all these pieces - there's like 30 of them :(

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Funhilde posted:

Use a piece of cotton muslin or a pressing cloth that is slightly damp. Hold the iron down for 15-30 seconds and move the cloth away. This works on fabric to heat n bond- it is possible that it won't want to stick to other things.

Thank you for your hint! Finally got the sucker to stick to both the backing fabric and the foam. I think it was really the timing that did it - the packaging said 1-2 seconds, but your 15-30 seconds really made the difference. And here I was freaking out that I was overheating it.

I'm tackling Carrot's codpiece this weekend - paper mache, foam, and sculpty, I will conquer you!

Bonus: Roman skirt assembly line - Backed and painted. Varnishing and distressing tomorrow:

PezMaster fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 19, 2013

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Working on breastplates now - more specifically a peascod breastplate. Found a wonderful pattern and step-by-step process here: http://howtomakearmour.blogspot.ca/2012/02/making-breastplate-armour.html. I'm not sure how to get those sort of curves and tapers shown in the original piece. We started with cardboard to play around with the shape, but can't get it to bend right (of course, because it's cardboard). Are there and handy ways to make that sort of thing out of everyday materials - poster board, foam, paper mache, paper clay? Wonderflex was thrown around, but I don't want to wait around for it to eventually get delivered to us (Canadian Post = notoriously slow).

Picture related (so pretty) :swoon:

Edit: Got the leather skirts completed. Helmets and codpiece are covered in paper clay and are waiting to be sanded, then painted. I'll have to take pictures in the light this weekend.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

I finally get to share our Discworld cosplay! My husband (Killamajig) and I have been working on them for the past month, but haven't been able to take any in-progress pictures since we work at night. The chest pieces are poster board, paper mache, paper clay, wood filler. The skirts are foam leather. My mom knitted up the chainmail - though she was a little worried at first why two grown adults wanted knit chainmail. Now she's really excited to see everything come together.

This is my Angua von Überwald. There's a bright pink bra somewhere under all that breast plate. The collar is my favourite :3:

My husband's Carrot. He wears those tights and that codpiece like a champion. The sword was the bane of his existence - It's cardboard, a wooden dowel, wood filler, oil paint medium, and lots of curse words. It looks okay in the picture, but it's pretty nasty close up.

We'll be headed to Emerald City this evening. Maybe we'll see a few of you there tomorrow? We'll make sure to take pictures of everything on us - I'm experimenting with really creepy blue contacts (though I just discovered I'm not a fan of stuff in my eyes, so we'll see how that goes) and Killamajig is adding more ginger into is already ginger hair.

I think next time I'd like to experiment with something other than paper clay. Wonderflex looks really cool - and now that we know how to form breastplates, I'm sure I'd be more confident working with it. The next cosplay on my list is a Jamie Lannister and Brienne of Tarth crossplay, or Green Arrow and Black Canary. One of Killamjig's requirement for the next set of costumes is that he's able to keep at least some facial hair. Carrot is way too clean shaven for him.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Red Robin Hood posted:

That chainmail looks awesome O_O

Does she do commissions?

You know, I could ask her. I'm sure she'd be flattered that someone liked her chainmail. It was a hit at the con! As were our costumes:

This is sadly, the only full body shot we got that day. Someone mentioned doing a photoshoot in costume, and I'm thinking I might treat us to one. People were really excited about our costumes - Discworld is a series that a lot of people love, but there isn't so much cosplay of, so the reactions were overblown when someone spotted and recognized us. My blue contacts were a hit too - I loved winking at old dudes and making faces at small children with them.

Even Ned Stark had a fan moment with my husband (and my husband totally had a fan moment with that guy's Ned Stark):

\/\/\/ Totally saw you! Well, your girlfriend. There were a lot of Stormtroopers about.

PezMaster fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 4, 2013

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Ashcans posted:

I would love to do some Discworld cosplay, but I have this terrible feeling that the only character I could pull off would be Nobby. :(

Maybe Rincewind, but I would have to intentionally grow a terrible beard which is a lot of work.

I don't think Rincewind had much of a beard compared to the other wizards, did he? There are also some really great examples of him in cosplay already to help you out. It seems like there are a lot of Rincewinds and, for some reason Moist von Lipwigs, running around.

The best thing about Disworld cosplay was that Discworld fans picked us out of a crowd right away, and got REALLY excited when they confirmed who we were. A lot of people asked if we had a Nobby, Fred, or Vimes running around too (I kinda wish that we did!). There was a Susan and a not-so enthused Hogfather Death at the Con as well:

I think Discworld is underrepresented, but pretty hard to do, because all we've got is a couple Paul Kidby pieces to go on. You could go for the BBC specials, but I don't think that would be as recognizable yet.

So, it's been decided - our next project will be Female Han Solo and a Male Slave Leia (based on this article: http://madartlab.com/2013/02/11/slave-leo/) just because I want to build a goddamn blaster and my husband wants to grow his beard back and blow all those sexy Stormtroopers/Jedis/Darth Vader with corsets out of the water. Plus, a big requirement for our next costume is being able to comfortably sit down in it. The armor was a bit much.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Some more Daft Punk helmets for the thread - these won't be as cool as the one duros is crafting, though. I'm making them for a Tron club night at the end of the month, so time is of the essence. Hopefully I'll have enough time to at least do some of the light work, but, if not, I'll be adding that later on. Started out with paper models, then I'm covering them in resin, fiberglass, and bondo. Not sure how I'll do the front visors yet - any suggestions on the easiest way to do it (hopefully without having to build a vacuum mold) would be much appreciated. I've heard of thermoforming, but I'm not quite sure what that entails.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

McPantserton posted:

Thermoforming is just a generic way to describe forming plastic (or whatever) with heat. Vacuum forming would fall under that umbrella. That's generally how I've seen other people make visors like that but maybe you could buy a large acrylic globe and cut it to size instead? Then if you had to warp the shape you wouldn't have to start with a flat piece and get a curve, but rather just relax/alter a curve.

The acrylic globe looks possible. I'd assume a heat gun would do the trick nicely. Thanks for the tip!

Of course, if that doesn't go well, it'll just give my husband and his buddy and excuse to build a vacuum forming box o' magic.

First layer of resin is on Guy-Manual, and Thomas is all glued. Hopefully all the fiberglassing will be finished by this weekend. I've also got to figure out some LED magic soon.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

/\/\ I'm sorry about your puddle :( It sucks that you're scrapping the whole thing, but if you're looking to do a Freeman chest plate like that, there are a lot of paper craft models out there. Let me tell you, for quickness, that stuff with fiberglass, resin, and bondo really does the trick.

The helmet's glass pieces have been covered in bondo and dremeled off to be sent off for molding. I actually visited a plastics/acrylic place for an estimate - ~$40 for Thomas and ~$100 for Guy-Manuel. Those guys are going to do a better job than I ever will with a round piece of acrylic and a heat gun, so I just said gently caress it and went for it. They're tinting it, etc, as well, so I don't have to worry about that.

Also, that bondo is amazing stuff. Sands like a dream. I'm never ever using paper clay again if I can help it. I feel like I'm playing with the big boys now.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Thanks guys - as for the bondo, I'm doing all the sanding outside on my balcony with this sort of mask:

Are they good enough, or am I going to need a full on resperator outside?

duros posted:

Why didn't I think of this! I have been dreading the visor... Did you just go to a local "plastics" shop? What did you ask them? I need to just do this.

I brought in both the masks and the front visor (which I had cut off and covered in bondo). They said that vacuum forming might be a little difficult for them for the Guy-Manuel helmet, so they'll be "draping" it with 1/8 inch plexiglass. It's a cheaper option, and they'll be covering it in felt first so it won't pick up all the little imperfections from the bondo (I didn't sand it too much this time around). They'll tint it as well, which is a bonus.

Bring yours into your plastics/acrylics place and see what they can do for you. Be prepared for some weird looks, though.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Good News: Bought a respirator (thanks guys!). Bondo is done except for a few pits here and there. Sanding is coming along nicely on Thomas.

Bad News: The drapings from the plastic guys didn't come out. They said they'd have to make a new mold, and then properly vacuum mold it, which would be +$1000. Out of my price range, so I bought a heat gun and they gave me a slab of thin plastic seconds so I can experiment with the visors on my own. I think I'll tackle it this weekend :(

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

How much do these costumes cost? I'm going to attend a lot of Halloween parties, shows and raves this year so I want to start making a cool costume. However I've never done anything even close to this thread before. Some things I've done in the past:

A tron suit would be pretty awesome.

My helmets have come out to $250-$300 on two helmets so far, the only thing extra I'm looking at are the electronics (Maybe another $50-$100) and if I have to make a goddamn vacuum mold in a weekend, that will be a little more. Honestly, I never thought I'd do something like this, but you got to start somewhere. For Emerald City Comic Con, my husband and I did full breast plates/helmets/swords/"leather" skirts for Discworld characters - that was our first cosplay, and we learned along the way. The Daft Punk is certainly a learning experience as well - but, seriously, the internet can teach you everything you need to know. Pick something that really appeals to you and have at it. You might be dropping some serious cash on new equipment at first, but just think about it as an investment.

Also, if you're looking for a sweet Tron costume, this link looks way better than the wet suit one you posted: http://www.instructables.com/id/how-to-add-EL-wire-to-a-coat-or-other-garment/

Morpheus posted:

Anyone got any cosplay suggestions for a group cosplay that involves four-six guys and one woman? Guys are of varying sizes, if that matters. The woman has requested that she be a) not too revealing and b) not a whimpering character. A few of my friends have thought about doing a group cosplay for next year's anime north, but can't decide what to do. Everything either doesn't really have it's own style, is too complex, or something like that. No idea.

The Venture Bros. crew would be great for you guys - the show has quite a few recognizable characters with varying body types that lends itself perfect for group cosplay. You can make your costumes as simple or complex as you want (ranging from loafers and a kerchief to a full blown super villain costume). For the girl, she has a couple choices, ranging from Triana (simple), to Dr. Girlfriend (who has two costumes - I've done her original one easily one year for Halloween), to Molotov Cocktease (if you're really brave). Or you could go as Hunter Gathers during his stripping days, which is totally on my list now that I think about it.

PezMaster fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 22, 2013

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

RazorBunny posted:

Anybody know of a good pattern for a Han Solo style holster? I'm finding lots of build logs, but no actual patterns. It's for a friend, I don't think she's actually building a Han Solo costume, just wants a similar holster.

I've been collecting Han references for my own future costume - here's what I've got for the holster:

Foam holster: http://www.instructables.com/id/Star-Wars-Han-Solo-Belt-Gun-Holster/

Great post on Rebel Legion: http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21900&start=0

Padawan's Guide Han references: http://padawansguide.com/han_anh.shtml

On the Daft Punk front, things would be so much easier if we could just go as Nega-Thomas and Nega-Guy

Tomorrow I'm putting on the gold and silver (eep!) - gotta figure out the visors too. Thomas was super easy with the heat gun, though. Electronics are blinking and wires are bought. Probably won't have time for the gloves, since the event is this Saturday, but goddamn did I ever get a badass leather jacket to go with my mask.

Also, this:
is so loving awesome.

PezMaster fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 27, 2013

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

After attempt #5 of the Guy Manuel visor at 1am, I'm saying gently caress it - building a vacuum forming table this morning, hopefully will have something useable by this afternoon. Also on my list: installing electronics, dremeling some decorative stuff, and dying both visors. Deadline: 6pm. Oh man.

TwystNeko posted:

managed to get a finger print in the paint job. So I figured, "No problem, I'll just sand that out and spray it again."

Now I've got black specks in the paint job, runs everywhere, and it's just gone completely downhill.

I'm gonna leave it for a couple days, then sand it back down to the primer layer, and start again. :(

This was me all yesterday as well :(

LeviathanGunship posted:

I've see that option as well, but given that I'm painting over part of it I want as little layers a possible on the visor itself. I think I'm going to try the dying option and see how that plays out. Thanks again for the advice!

Here's the best thread I've seen about dying visors - he has pictures/times/temperatures as well: http://www.therpf.com/f9/daft-punk-interstella-helmet-wip-97512/index3.html

PezMaster fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 29, 2013

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

/\/\ Can't wait to see what you build. Creating something like that from scratch is a really interesting process.

Guy-Manuel didn't make it out of the house last night. Couldn't find the right thickness of clear plastic to vacuum form, so the visor was a complete wash. I wore my husband's Thomas out to the bar (it looked silly big on me, but goddamn was it ever awesome) and we threw together a 20 minute Iron Man reactor for him to wear (now I want to build an epoxy/acrylic one). Great reactions for the helmet, and the highlight was going on the stage to rock out to "Get Lucky" with the crowd.

Now that I'm not on a deadline, I'm going to demolish Thomas - sand and repaint to get rid of all the scratches I endured at the club. The paint was still tacky for longer than I thought it would be, so it had fingerprints galore by the end of it. I'll take out the visor - the dye job wasn't quite dark enough for my liking. The electronics were great, but I need to put in some way to defuse the LEDs a bit. Also, now I can get working with the full red array as well.

Still got to find the right plastic for Guy-Manuel's visor (online suggestions anyone?), and the electronics, which would great for a simple club night, can be much better.

All and all a great learning experience, but I'm glad I have some serious breathing room now to really get everything right.

Edit: a lovely picture:

PezMaster fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 30, 2013

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

duros posted:

Used 6 packs of RIT Black dye and did five 10ish minute baths followed by a cold water wash.

Glad to see that it is possible to get your visor that dark with RIT. I only had four packs and did five 5min baths (plus cold water washes). My visor got all soft on me as well because I cranked up the heat after bath two. Looks like I'm going with more RIT after I take the visor apart. You're happy with your results?

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

duros posted:

Also: bought shoes and glitter! This is going to end in nothing but glittery tears for me very soon. I will post pictures regardless.

You're going to be crying glitter for a month. Seriously. That poo poo gets all up in your business.

Speaking of glitter, my little charity nerd bakery is sponsoring a cosplay float in the Vancouver Pride parade. They've invited my husband and I to ride on board with them, which means I better get back to work fixing the Daft Punk helmets. First job: ordering some of that magic 2mm Pet-G duros suggested and get my rear end in gear redoing the electronics. I can't wait to take apart that Thomas helmet and sandpaper the poo poo out of it. That smudged paint job is mocking me.

I've also got to find a more fabulous outfit to go with my Guy Manuel.

PezMaster fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 12, 2013

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Captain Hilarious posted:

Does anyone have a quick, cheap solution for adding slightly cartoonish rivets to a costume?

I picked up stud embellishments at my local craft/fabric store for my sets of Discworld armor. Sorta like these: http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/5420682-AA.shtml?lnav=tools.html - It was ~$4 for a little pack of 75-100, so not so bad. A little hot glue and you're in business.

McKilligan posted:

All in all, looking pretty drat good. Does anyone have any good recommendations for places I can order white contacts from?
I'm Canadian and get mine from http://www.clearlycontacts.ca/ - They actually look like they don't have any in stock right now, but I'm sure they will in the future.

I'm in the homestretch for version 2 of the Daft Punk helmets. I'm pretty excited, but already planning version 3. Jeez.

I'll put a bunch of pictures together when I'm all finished, but these are my favourite pieces of the bunch so far:

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

trickybiscuits posted:

A while ago in this thread I asked if this is the place to share historic/reenactment clothes as well (it is) so here's some stuff.
As a history teacher who has always always always wanted to sew myself and my husband period accurate clothing, this is seriously the bee's knees.

duros posted:

More pictures! what are you planning for v3?

Here's my first every vacuum pulled visor. I tried RIT, but I must have done something horribly horribly wrong, because it warped the first test visor I tried it with. I went with Nightshade on the final one, which worked out just fine. In fact, it worked even better, since the RIT completely cancelled out the blue LED.

And speaking of lights:

Yay! Everything should be done for Sunday, but, like I said before, I'm itchy about redoing the whole thing already. Resanding, repainting Guy Manuel, adding lights and details to the side, etc. I would love to add the red LED array on the front of Thomas, but that might be version 4. Or so.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Pride was sweaty and hot and ridiculous, but so loving awesome.

Everything went amazingingly with the helmets - Nightshade did the trick with the visors, and the electronics worked out a-okay. The only hiccup was Thomas's lights blinking out halfway through the parade (battery problems and I didn't have any spares). Getting better pictures of our whole Pride costumes (and getting a better gif of the installed Guy Manuel lights) will happen this month, I hope. I'll eventually get around to resanding and painting Guy Manuel, and do the gloves, but right now it's just nice to have something all together. Also, I've been eyeing a Han Solo Blaster kit, so it may be time to get started on that noise - What is it, 8 months until Emerald City Comic Con?

My SO and I are in Portland during PAX :( Not this year, but we'll definitely bring out the helmets again whenever year we can make it down there.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Oh my goodness, that wig! You're going to be adorable!

I've heard really good things about Dermablend tattoo concealer: http://www.amazon.com/Dermablend-Leg-Body-Tattoo-Primer/dp/B003TYI632 but it's super expensive. There's also the cheaper way with makeup you probably already have: http://www.wikihow.com/Cover-a-Tattoo-With-Make-up.. Whichever way you go, make sure you powder it well before you go out and about, or everything might rub off.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

I've seen pictures of you floating around tumblr/twitter! I remembered you were working on the mask and had some pictures up in this thread, but I don't remember seeing everything come together. It looks really great! You've got to post some close up shots of that mask, though. From what I remember, it was pretty badass. And had terrifying horse teeth.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Yep, those horse teeth are as terrifying as I thought they would be. Awesome job and you're going to have to show your work with the foam latex, if you decide to go that way. I saw two pictures of you on my tumblr feed - I didn't grab any of them, because I only remembered a goon was doing Beta Ray an hour after I saw them. I think if you look at the con hashtag, you might see them floating around.

Also, Frog of Thunder! :swoon:

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

McPantserton posted:

Does anybody have a preferred source for colored/fx contacts? I want a pair of really awesome red or red/gold ones for my upcoming Warhammer Fantasy project but I'm a bit paranoid about how to evaluate contact quality. I've heard good things about Samhain but their lenses are so freaking expensive!

Acuvue and Freshlook make really nice coloured contacts, but I'm not sure they'd be the colour you're looking for. Vision direct has a bunch that are FDA approved: http://www.visiondirect.com/theatrical-lenses/qxc179143 as does Coastal Contacts: http://www.coastal.com/halloween-lenses. I've used the Canadian version of Coastal (Clearly Contacts), and they're always great. Basically, you want a site that requires you to input a prescription and has a bunch of warnings on it, telling you that you should get a professional contact fitting before fooling around with this stuff.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Xaerael posted:

Done more sculpting on the Zinogre armour. This photo's a bit outdated now, as I've resculpted the whole chestplate, but you get the idea, and it's coming along nice.

Beautiful! Is it a clay model that you're going to vacuum form? Or is it shaped wonderflex/other sort of plastic?

I'm trying to play around with making the front plate on the front of the Slave Leia costume, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I've got a couple options:

1) Mold it out of clay, then vacuum form it
2) Freehand it with some sort of plastic/wonderflex and a heat gun. I'm totally not sure how I'd get all those textures/ridges, though.
3) Go all out, make a mold and cast it in resin.

Here's the plate I'm looking at for reference.

In other Star Wars news, I just ordered my BlasTech DL-44 model. Can't wait to put it together, paint the poo poo out of it, and shoot some Greedos.

PezMaster fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 17, 2013

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Wrong button :(

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Fatkraken posted:

I can answer it (poster is my housemate); it's WED clay and the plan is to cast it in fibreglass.

This might not be popular with everyone, but I would suggest as a fourth possibility molding it in clay and casting it in LATEX, using a plaster mold. It's MUCH cheaper than resin, the marginal cost would be just a few dollars if you buy a largeish batch of latex and plaster and use it for other projects too.

http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/files/costumes/12/4552/NertCam-16815.jpg the silver armour plate on the front of this costume is cast in latex and probably had a marginal cost of about £4 (as I always have tons of latex and plaster on hand) as is the creature skull necklace here http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/files/costumes/12/4552/NertCam-16857.jpg It's also really strong and flexible, the armour has four built in loops on it with straps through and those things are not going ANYWHERE, and it's not going to split or crack if you knock it. Just make sure you're not allergic to latex

EDIT: OH also VERY important, make sure the paint you use does not contain COPPER (or a copper alloy like brass), that poo poo will rot latex. Most gold coloured paints are fine but some do contain copper or copper alloy particles and will totally destroy the latex.

I would have never thought of latex! I always just think of it as material for thin masks or body appliances - I would have never thought it became rigid and tough in thicker amounts. Is it going to be able to be used over and over again for quite a long time? I know that some thinner latex appliances have to be re-made after a couple of uses. I'm looking for something I can set right into the costume and not worry about.

That skull and silver plate have the texture and detail I'm going for. It confirms that molding and casting is the best way to go about this - thank you!

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

My new toy from Doopydoo's came in today. It needs some serious TLC before I get into the painting and building. A Vibro-Ax is also on my to-do list, to go along with my partner's Leia costume. My goal is to have at least the weapons (and maybe a few costume pieces, like the Leia front plate) done by Christmas. I hope?

Super 3, thanks for mentioning that Vulpin article. Totally inspiring, especially when I'm trying to conquer my fear of mold making.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Just bought my Emerald City tickets, so I guess I better get serious with this year's costume.

My partner's front Leia piece is completed - clay and wire, all cooked and ready to go. Next weekend I'm going hunting for casting materials to get this thing finished. Boob plates are forming slowly.

Also on my list: building a vibro-axe out of a toilet repair kit and a old hair dryer, bondoing my Han Solo gun, and trying to figure out how to blood stripe my goddamn pants.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

cloudy posted:

If it helps at all, when I did Han Solo a few years ago I bought some pre-made embroidered blood stripe strips online, and then while I was making the pants I sewed them in to the seams.

I think I bought them from this very uh, antiquated site. You have to scroll down to find the Star Wars stuff. http://www.costumecostumecostume.com/patches2011.htm

The spacing wasn't exactly right but I'm incredibly lazy so I didn't mind. Alternatively if you have access to an embroidery machine you could probably do it better, and cheaper, pretty easily.

That's pretty good for $25. Thanks for the tip - I'll definitely keep it on the back-burner. My plan was two fold: embroidery, and if that doesn't work, seam binding tape. Cutting out and sewing all of it might drive me crazy, though.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

TwystNeko posted:

Well.. I'm a very sad panda now. I was attempting to redo the tint on my Daft Punk helmet, and, well... Got the tint off, but now the whole thing is opaque, and I can't get it clear to be able to see. And of course, the person who sold the helmet on ebay refuses to respond to emails, so I'm screwed completely, and I have no way to fab a new visor.

It's a Guy Manuel helmet, would any of the other Daft Goons be willing to do up a visor for me? I can tint it myself, but I just can't make a new one. :(

I have my original Guy visor mould, but my helmet was made to be a bit smaller, so it might not fit yours? If you're in a pinch message me and we can look at measurements. Hopefully my make-shift vacuum mould table will hold up for another round.

On this year's cosplay font, I finally have enough pieces to become recognizable character! Yay!

This is my first foray into sewing, and I only cried once, so I think I'm doing okay. The vest needs pockets and a bit of re-tailoring. I just picked up some faux-leather for the holster, so that will be my next project. Most of the Leia pieces have been crafted out wonderflex/clay. The latex mould for the front plate is curing right now, so hopefully I'll be able to pour resin tomorrow. I'll post pictures post-painting, because they already all look pretty sharp.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

McKilligan posted:

So, I'm back home in Houston for 2 weeks, relaxing with my family when I remember that I have access to a whole garage of tools. 2 days later, here's how far I've come - It's very early yet, but I'm curious if anyone can recognize what it'll be when it's done.

I'm not up on sword history, but is it He-Man's sword of power? Because that would be awesome.

I've just had a Latex/Resin disaster :(

My partner miscounted the ratio of catalyst drops to the resin, and now we're left with a slightly tacky (and unusable) front Leia plate. Now my beautiful latex mould is left a little sticky in places - does anyone have any tips for cleaning so I can use it again? Is the toothbrush/warm water/dish soap route the best way to go?

PezMaster fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 18, 2014

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Xaerael posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you've use polyester resin, right? Latex retains moisture, and causes polyester to not cure properly. For latex moulds you need to use polyurethane, or use a pretty technical bondo-polyester resin hybrid coat that you really need to know what you're doing with.

The bottom line is that catalysed polyester resin will always eventually cure, unless it's been contaminated with humidity.

Guilty! It sure was clear polyester resin (that was 60% through coupons, so I went for it).

I actually tried a second one yesterday and, even with the correct amount of catalyst, still came out sticky - but you totally solved that mystery for me. Thanks! Hopefully everything will eventually cure like you said (of course, I live in Vancouver, so the environment is less the ideal for non-humidity) so I don't have to try it again. If not, polyurethane it is.

my cat is norris posted:

Quick question!

Will paper clay stick to the masking tape I've got assisting my paper mache armature, or should I put a layer or three of paper mache overtop the masking tap?
I did it over my first set of armour just fine. Good luck with the paper clay - I hated working with that stuff.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

The majority of the pieces for my partner's costume have been painted, distressed, and are ready to connect! First time using resin, and wonderflex, but I think I've got it down now (Thanks to a couple of resin experts in this thread). My only fear is that, when my partner puts everything on, the costume won't be reminiscent of Leia at all - I took a chance of reshaping the bra into a more spaulder-like shape (since they'll be strapped to his shoulders), but hopefully people will get the idea while we're walking the con floor.

Of course, I've still got a giant to-do list and, what, two and a half weeks until Emerald City? Oy.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Took Han and Leia out for a spin Saturday at Emerald City. It went over really well with the crowds, even better than the Daft Punk we did on Friday. Whipped the vibro-axe out the weekend before, but I still think it's my favourite piece out of both of our costumes. Learned a lot of new skills (sewing, resin, wonderflex, latex, leather and metal work, embroidery) and can't wait to use them some more. Except for making pants/shirts. gently caress pants and shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Bean posted:

Have any of you ever sharpie dyed a wig? I'm making Ibuki's wig from Dangan Ronpa (oh no I am one of those nerds I am literally the worst human being) and I was doing her funky colored bangs by hand coloring everything in with sharpie.

I colored in the pink and I'm rinsing it now and holy hell is it a slow process. The excess ink doesn't seem to want to come off unless I rub it for all it's worth anyway, but I'm afraid of the color transferring to my forehead when I wear the wig. Advice? Can I speed this up with wig shampoo, or is that a dumb idea?

Have a picture. This was before I started rinsing. (The hair in the middle is going to be blue, I'm not giving the wig a horn.)

If you're rinsing the wig with cold water, and it's not coming off, then you should be in the clear. The only colour I've heard that is notorious for rubbing off on people is red. Also, if it's not hitting your costume, it'll be a-okay.

I'm not quite sure what technique you're using (seems like you're using the markers to colour it in?) but have you tried popping the top of the sharpie, cutting it open to get at the ink, then letting it sit with some rubbing alcohol (~70%)? This will get you a good dye you can paint with (maybe making the process go a little faster for you?). If you do go this way, lay it flat and leave everything to dry over night, then rinse with cold water until you don't get any run off. This way requires a couple of layers, though. You might want to just stick with the marker way, since you have such a small area, but maybe keep it in mind for next time.