Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.

Mister Roboto posted:

Does anyone have any company recommendations for white or as close-to-white contact lenses? If I wanted to go as Sagat, for example, like this cosplayer here:

I know it's really hard to go full-white, but she does an interesting job of making them look opaque.

Is there a good contact lens company that people recommend?

Definitely go with a big name company. And you will have to jump through hoops to get a prescription. (I am currently trying to get a prescription for some and it's been difficult... But if you're in Chicago by any chance I think I found a doctor that will do it).

http://www.coastal.com/cataract-no-vision-us

cloudy fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

foxatee posted:

If I'm not mistaken, you'll still need to be fitted for contacts. Doesn't matter if they're just for costume-- a lot of these places require a prescription. I could be wrong, though.

Yeah, you're right. If you order online (or in a store) in the US, even if the contacts aren't corrective at all, you have to have a prescription by law. However, you might find some shady dealers online that don't require it... But I'm not sure I would trust putting their products in my eyeballs.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

Would they do specialty ones?

Some do, some don't. Definitely call around and ask about costume lenses before scheduling an appointment. I made that mistake :smith:

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Hey! So I posted this in the Halloween thread and got no responses, but this is probably a better thread for the question.

Does anyone know if it's ok to paint latex costume prosthetics with Kryolan aquacolor? I've read that certain greases will destroy the latex over time. But I figure if I'm using the same paint on the prosthetic as on my face the color match will be a lot better. And easier.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Thank you, Mobius! That makes things much easier!

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

PezMaster posted:

Also on my list: building a vibro-axe out of a toilet repair kit and a old hair dryer, bondoing my Han Solo gun, and trying to figure out how to blood stripe my goddamn pants.

If it helps at all, when I did Han Solo a few years ago I bought some pre-made embroidered blood stripe strips online, and then while I was making the pants I sewed them in to the seams.

I think I bought them from this very uh, antiquated site. You have to scroll down to find the Star Wars stuff. http://www.costumecostumecostume.com/patches2011.htm

The spacing wasn't exactly right but I'm incredibly lazy so I didn't mind. Alternatively if you have access to an embroidery machine you could probably do it better, and cheaper, pretty easily.

cloudy fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 12, 2014

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

LA Noire! Not very iconic but it gives you a chance to dress like a cool 40's dude.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Hecuba posted:

2. Facepaint: Recommendations on rock-solid smearproof face/body paint would be amazing. There’s also the issue of — well, I’m hoping to do something like this or this (second picture is NSFW), but I’m a white person, and painting my face up black (even jet-black and covered with eyes) seems a little… icky to me. Thoughts?

I think you will be fine with straight black face paint. You are obviously not doing anything culturally insensitive with being an imagined angelic creature, so I don't think it will read offensive in any way.
Plus, people do drow elves all the time and it always seems to be fine!

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

McPantserton posted:

Hahah thanks. We're kind of Halloween people, my wedding anniversary is on the 31st. We went as the Trojan Horse a few years ago and it was so fun that we decided to be something huge and weirdly culturally irrelevant again. The Titanic's front and back decks are made out of leftover contact paper from the Horse, in fact.

I'm trying to get everyone to go as the Great Pyramids at Giza next year. :spooky:

This is the best idea I've ever seen.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Hey guys, I wanted to re-paint some cheap plastic sunglasses I have. I have a feeling that regular spray paint would chip off, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts on how to prime them to hold spray paint? Or, would something else work better, like a can of plasti-dip or something?
Thanks!

Edit: Nevermind, I think I answered my own question with some additional Googling. Krylon Fusion is meant to be sprayed on to and bond with plastic, so should hold up well.
If anyone has an anecdotal evidence on that though, feel free to comment! :D

cloudy fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 16, 2015

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I have this pattern and I've made a couple cloaks from it and I really like it (because they're pretty easy for beginners or someone with only a moderate amount of sewing experience). Also has jedi robes.

http://www.amazon.com/Simplicity-Pattern-5840-Costumes-XS-S-M-LXL/dp/B000MU0MYW

I used the top left for the robe pattern. Only thing I did to change it is change the shape of the hood, cause I don't like a pointy hood. Pretty easy to just round it off when cutting. Oh, and left off the ribbon and tassel detailing.

cloudy fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 12, 2015

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Ok, so I have come into possession of a Canadian military flight suit, and I was looking for some ideas for costumes. Looks like this:

but without any patches or anything. My girlfriend got one too, and is planning a Ripley cosplay with hers. I realize there is some easy stuff like top gun, but I would love any and all ideas that involve a flight suit. I also have combat boots, but I cannot have any weapons as props (I want to be able to wear the outfit to the school I work at). If it matters, I am a 6ft tall white male, bearded, average size. Thanks

Before I finished reading I was thinking, "be Ripley!". I'm making a Ripley costume for Halloween. Everyone should be Ripley.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

A lot of people would say do the body with a bodysuit (or in your case just a spandexy shirt) in the right color. Then do your face/neck in paint. Makes it a lot cleaner though maybe you won't like the look of it. For face paint I've used Kryolan aquacolor with success (and also Ben Nye Final Seal sealing spray). But if you're going somewhere where you're gonna sweat a lot, aquacolor might not be the right solution. If you sweat and rub it will probably wear off.

New question!
Prosthetic ear appliances... Think elf ears or something similar. Should I literally make a mold and then fill with liquid latex? Or is there a material I can use to just sculpt the actual ears, let dry, then use those as the actual appliances?
And should I... Take a cast of my actual ears? Not sure if that is really necessary!

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Go look for live roleplay supplies. They're all about this sort of thing - you can buy elf ears and attach them to yours with medical adhesive.

I'm actually looking for something kinda weird that I wouldn't assume people would have in stock! Think like... Umm... Fish fins?

I didn't think the Aradani "sea elf" fit the bill either... But they're kinda on the right track. http://www.aradanicostumes.com/elf_ears/sea_elf_ears

So I figured I would have to sculpt them myself. I'm doing Undyne from the game Undertale.

Edit: something like this is pretty close to what I want. Looks like she DID take casts of her ears.
http://yaexrae.tumblr.com/post/111406127191/build-post-condesce-ear-fins

I was just hoping to get it done quick and fast without the mold-making by being able to just use some material to sculpt. Not sure if such a thing exists that could dry, be painted, and then glued on to skin.

cloudy fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 13, 2016

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

I posted awhile ago about being interested in making my own ear prosthetics. Since Dragoncon is this weekend, I didn't really have time to do the PROFESSIONAL TECHNIQUE. Especially because I've never done mold/cast-making before, and I didn't wanna spend a bunch of time learning something only to have it not turn out and then not have something to use.

So I decided to try a quick and minimal attempt for making my own ears: http://imgur.com/a/722qL

Probably my biggest resource: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmjsKUfC_rE This guy's stuff is super professional and informative.

I bought a pre-made life casting kit on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Smooth-On-Inc-ASSK-Casting-Starter/dp/B000QCM27Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472490540&sr=8-1&keywords=life-casting
This specific one had enough materials in it to do both my ears. (It actually has plenty left over to do a second ear attempt if you mess up the first).

I'm glad I at least did this because I got experience molding, casting, and sculpting. I'll be able to take that experience over into my next attempt when I actually want to try making prosthetics using silicone :D

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Since everyone is posting Overwatch stuff... I'm doing a Sombra inspired costume!

I posted earlier in the thread about experimenting with sculpting/casting to make some prosthetic ears. I actually took it up a notch and put some money down on some real mold-making/casting supplies and made this. It was super fun!

Only thing I dislike is how jacked up the eyeholes are. Oh well. It was a good first-time effort!

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Looks neat.
I had no idea that there was anything for Sombra yet.

There isn't really, lol. Just that skull released during the ARG (what the mask is based off) and a newspaper clipping in-game that shows a knee-length hooded cloak. So that's what I'm doing, and adding various hacker-inspired elements.

I'm sure this will look nothing like the actual character, but that's ok because it's fun to make something without strict guidelines!

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/c10udy/status/782418136129638400

My finished mask that I added lights to! And my hacker armband that I used my old phone for.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Patattack posted:

After much last-minute stress, I finished my McCree costume just in time for the Halloween party weekend!

More pics showing detail here: http://imgur.com/gallery/FPR6b

You did so good!! I love it!

I did a Reaper mask this year -- didn't get to do a whole costume because money + time, but a big ol' hoodie did the job fine.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alokgen posted:

Those costumes look great. As a know nothing lurker, I was always wondering how do you add LEDs to head pieces without blinding your vision and don't they get hot?

Looks like they used EL wire which stays cool and is nice and diffused so it isn't blinding. I just made a mask with it recently. Individual LEDs might be a bit more blinding, but I can imagine there must be some tricks.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

I've been using the cheapest earthen water-based clay I can get (which probably has sulfur in it) and spraying it with a clear coat of sealer spray paint before mold-making. Silicone has set perfectly with that technique! But obviously this could go wrong if you're not careful.

Recommendations I got from the guy at the store were-- if you're sculpting something really big/intricate and it's going to take a long time, you might want to use an oil-based clay so it won't dry out over time. Oil based clays are more expensive though.

I've been sculpting masks that take about a week and just spraying/bagging them each night and the cheapo earthen clay has worked fine for me. If your sculpt will take longer you might want to consider oil-based.

But yes, make sure to buy sulfur-free or seal it with a clear lacquer before making the mold.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

You could buy a leather strap cutter... https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/craftool-strap-cutter

But tbh if I wasn't going to use it a lot $40 seems like a bit much. I'd just use a yard stick and a knife and do it by hand. (Using the edge of the ruler as the guide).

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

I literally got asked to zip up someone's (who just randomly walked up to me and asked) Spiderman suit over their underwear-clad butt and it was uhhh... Well I did it. All bets are off at Dragoncon.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

You're pretty close to Chicago! There are a few sfx makeup schools here that might be able to help you out.

Alternatively I was also looking for something similar in the past, maybe we could just practice on each other?? I have no experience though :(

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

I use a semi-rigid urethane resin for roto-casts of masks. If what you're doing isn't huge/thick it could be a nice cost-effective material. Lightweight and paintable plastic.

The actual product I get (cause I have a store nearby) is Smooth-On Smooth-Cast 65D (white in color).

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

I bought some from Amazon that look to be the same model. The charge doesn't last all night, but does last awhile. Maybe like 3-4 hours. I was most annoyed that the button to change the lights can get hit just by walking around normally. So it'll either turn on when you want them off, or change from the color you want. The design could use some work.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

If you're in the US you might have a Play it Again Sports near you somewhere.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

I really do like RIT dye. If you're starting from a white base, you'll probably be able to get something pretty good. But if it's a light skin tone, you'd probably only need VERY LITTLE dye.

https://www.ritdye.com/color-library/color-formulas/

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Dying polyester is kind of a not ideal, never ends up great. You need to keep the heat very high throughout. If you have a way to dye it while on the stove that would be ideal.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Squarely Circle posted:

Fake fur and heat do not mix! You're gonna damage the fibers and end up with a matted mess. Don't do anything that requires high heat.

Good to know!! Sorry for bad rec. But I was just thinking in terms of fabric. My bad.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Anyone have any hot tips about how to darken this material?

(It's 60% PVC, 30% Polyester, 10% PU)

I'm thinking most paints would just chip off... So maybe staining it with.... something?

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

I did try Rit Dyemore on a polyester dress a couple days ago and the results were.... less than optimal. Kind of as expected, but still a bit disappointing.

Wish I would've tried iDyePoly. But either way, stirring a hot pot of dye for 30 minutes is always going to be a miserable experience :smith:

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

I found something that worked pretty well, in case anyone was curious. Surprisingly, puffy paint applied with a damp sponge. :shrug:

I guess because it's a fabric paint it bends and doesn't crack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Foam clay/moldable foam might be nice, depending? They sell it in-store at Michael's if that is of any help.