Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
:siren: This OP isn't updated. I will happily do so with a quick PM!

Welcome to the cosplay creation thread! Where we make stuff that we wear and then take pictures and then share them :3:

First up (and most importantly in my opinion), :pcgaming: COUPONS!

Jo-Ann's Android:

Jo-Ann's iPhone:

Michaels Android:

Michaels iPhone:

Rufus En Fuego posted:

Hey, Red Robin Hood! I mentioned it a long time ago but don't see it in the OP, so can you add JoAnn's Fashion Fusion magazine? It's $3.99 and has six 40-50% off coupons on the back. Ask for it at checkout/customer service. It comes out twice a year (spring, fall) and the coupons are good for six months at a time.

Use them and use them well!

Tutorial stuff:

Sewing Thread!

Some pretty useful Youtube videos

Goon-run cosplay stuff?

plastics / metals / composites cut to size
I'm not sure how useful this will be for cosplay, but I've used http://www.onlinemetals.com/ for some of my own projects in the past.

:siren:Below is the original OP:siren:
I wanted to share some of my in-progress build shots of my Stormtrooper armor but I couldn't find an appropriate "cosplayers" thread. So I made one!

I've had this set for coming up on a year now but since I spent so much money to buy it I was a little scared when it came down to actually BUILDING it. So I sat on it. Until now! My girlfriend and I ran into some other Star Wars enthusiasts that knew how to get a hold of people who in turn knew how to build this stuff! I'll be finishing it within the next week or so in time for Emerald City Comic Con.

I would like to avoid this turning into a post your favorite cosplay pictures thread, so if you're looking for that please: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3025385&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Helmet on test

Helmet front, no ears yet

Inside still no ears

Here with the ears and mic tips installed

And one more of the inside of the helmet with padding and ears installed

I'm excited to see what everyone else is working on!

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I had given up hope on this thread!

What you've got done so far is looking really great! Vacuum forming might sound like a good idea but unless you're willing to make/pay for molds I'm not sure you're going to be able to go that direction. You might look into other methods that you can do yourself.

This whole A New Hope set is a kit I bought. It's available for $495 shipped but requires A LOT of assembling. I've got about 45 hours into it so far and about 5 or so left! More pictures...

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Those fingers look totally rad. Are they going to be painted?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Well you definitely have a lot more skill than I do. Seriously. Working from a kit is so much easier! This stuff is Vacuum Formed from molds that are re-casts of re-casts of the original molds e: sorry, not from original MOLDS... original armor from Star Wars A New Hope. It is in the upper-tier of film-accuracy (AKA it looks like poo poo, uneven, wonky in places). Here are some photos of what I received:

The helmet comes in two pieces and includes the lens plastic and neck/forehead trim but requires a lot of cutting and fitting

These are both arms, hands, and shoulder connectors. You can see where they need to be trimmed but there is more to it than just trimming and gluing ;)

Legs and leg ammo spot. These are similar to the arms. The shins will be glued in the front but left "open" (closed with black velcro) for screen-accuracy!

The big pieces! (I screwed these up on my build and will have to order new ones when I get the cash)

All in all it will take 50+ hours and just about $1000. I can't wait! I WILL be finished tomorrow and I'll definitely post more pictures when I take them :)

Do you have pictures of your 40k costume? What did you do? Sisters?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
FINISHED!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

McPantserton posted:

Red Robin Hood: That is so kick-rear end!! Have you worn it somewhere ridiculous like the grocery store yet? I don't think I could resist if I had stormtrooper armor around.

I wore the helmet through Burger King's drive-thru last weekend but they told me to take it off :( I don't think places allow you to wear helmets or masks in case you might rob them!

But THANKS!!!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Mucktron posted:

I'm so glad someone finally posted a DIY cosplay thread. I've been cosplaying since 2001 and have been following the old thread since 2009.

Was there a previous thread? Is it archived? If not can you link me? I'd like to make the OP look a little nicer :P

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Mobius 1 posted:

Awesome, I've been hoping for a thread like this for a while now. I have a couple of things I'm working on for fanime and SDCC, but right now I'm a bit stumped on how exactly to make part of my costume.

I'm making the red cloaked figure from Journey:

Cloak is pretty much done except the details on the hem, but I'm not quite sure on how to make the mask. I thought about using one of those cheap white masks you see at Michael's and covering it in fabric, but the face on the character is featureless. I also want to make the eyes light up but I need to read up on how to rig LED's.

I'd like to see some in-progress pictures or something. Though you'd have to be, like, sliding down a big sand mountain or something and that might be kind of hard!

dinozombiesgoRARR posted:

I can't wait to see those finished Yoshimitsus. Don't forget to post photos of the final costumes in the PYF cosplay thread, I'll likely forget to check here.

Don't you dare forget about us!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
You could even pick up some real thin black or dark grey cloth to pin over the top of it!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
This thread is still a baby but... is anyone going to Emerald City Comic Con?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
When do we get to see them!? :allears:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Definitely some cool poo poo coming out of this thread! Wooh!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Mobius 1 that looks really good so far!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Cosplaying my first con today. I'll try to get some pictures :)

e: Me with Black Canary and Green Arrow!

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 1, 2012

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
That is very cool! Did it cost any money to take those pictures or did the dude just want to do a fun photoshoot?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
That sounds like it would be A LOT of work if they went and did that at a con. But it could be really, really cool!

Any other cool shots? Where are they located?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I was at SakuraCon! It was a good time. Your costumes looks very nice, even though I don't really know Anime :P

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Soarer posted:

Oh cool did you wear the trooper costume? That thing is awesome btw. I'd love to have one.

Yeah, I did! Thanks! I haven't found any photos online of me yet but I was featured on King5's Evening Magazine... well the commercial part of it!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
That's pretty rad. I like the wide range of 'busters!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Maybe some sort of sports padding. Check out a local sports store for ideas and then buy your poo poo used! (clean it well, though!)

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I'm kind of speechless but I want to say that I don't know what that anime is but it looks incredible. Very, very well done!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
That's pretty rad...

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Osmethae posted:

Working on my first full set of Boba Fett armor here in a few weeks. Hopefully sooner. I've been practicing painting helmets for a while now in preparation.

I'm working on a timelapse video at the moment to show the time it goes into painting one.

The first helmets I ever worked on were the rubies two piece Jango helmets, put bondo on the seam and just repainted. I started with RotJ

Then I attempted an ESB version

Second attempt at ESB, can see better detailing

And finally my third attempt at ESB, mastering all the detailing techniques and overall feeling comfortable with where all the weathering goes. I actually got lucky and got my hands on a mold to make my own very accurate helmets instead of using the terrible rubies toy helmets. Making my own visors as well.

Just proof that practice makes perfect.

Have you been to https://www.thedentedhelmet.com

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Osmethae: what is that Stormtrooper armor in the background? FX?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Osmethae posted:

Correct! FX. Came in a kit like this.. I bought this in 2006 I believe? Or 2007. Was a while ago.

Took me several weeks to put together, the helmet was the worst part. During that time I was just trying to get it set up on a mannequin properly that I had made. My god that was not an easy feat.. my brothers fiance threw my helmet on the ground (BITCHWHOREASS) and broke the black mouth piece off. I need another but not sure where to go for one.

What black piece are you speaking of? This is what my armor looked like when it showed up on my doorstep (as you can tell ours are quite different):

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I see what you mean -- the vocoder!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

Thank you!! This is all great information. By God I will make these helmets!

If you can make them for relatively cheap I would be interested in buying one. loving Code Geass..

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Is your friend selling his Necromonger armor? I saw some for sale recently that was screen used...

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Would it make sense $$ wise to make a full sized mannequin using this method? I was thinking maybe just filling it with expanding foam from Home Depot or something...

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Not really cosplay but I felt that it was similar. Plaster and that shredded paper mixing stuff:

A real Han Job :smug:

First layer was alginate, the plaster to support the alginate!

Then we flipped it over, pulled out the original...

Filled that with plaster/paper stuff mix

Annnnnd...

Just gotta clean it up and give it a few days to really harden up...

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Thanks! The weathering on that backpack looks incredible... how are you doing it?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Man... that looks so badass!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Don't act like all your stuff looks like poo poo. That's really kind of annoying.

Especially when it looks really great like it does.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
How much is that going to cost you all said and done, Osmethae?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

RazorBunny posted:

Quoting myself to say one of our friends ended up ordering one. I'll get some pictures for the thread.

I think I'm going to ask him if I can borrow it and use it to make a mold, and cast a copy out of something more lightweight. The licensed prop weighs twenty pounds! That's more than twice the weight of the M16 I trained with in ROTC, and that got very heavy by the end of a long day.

You wouldn't be able to re-sell those recasts but instead of paying you for it I would pay you for supplies and time.... heh :smug:

Osmethae posted:

Worked on it for 10 hours straight today (I'm dead) and got this.

If you have to ask if I stole it from the movie, I DID.

Very cool! I understand going broke on a project. I built my Stormtrooper in two weeks and ended up finishing it up for around $1000.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Have you applied to the Mando mercs in your area? Or the 501st Legion?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Maybe you could make a replica of the helmet you have. If you use something that is safe for it you could make a clone and go from there.

Try looking into alginate(sp). You could mix up a bunch to make a soft mold and then pour Plaster of Paris into that once you pull your helmet out.

Not sure where you would go from there. Maybe shaving it down a bunch...?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Those are both loving excellent :colbert:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

RazorBunny posted:

Shoulder bells are a pain in the rear end.

For what? And what are you having troubles with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
HOLY poo poo :psyduck:

That looks absolutely incredible!