Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Really enjoying everyone's stuff! Very cool!

If I could ask a very basic question, you seem like the people to know. I'm going to attempt the N7 armor using the various pages already mentioned, but I'd like to get your opinion on glue. I see gorilla glue and hot glue mentioned, those seem to be the 'go to' items for sticky. Can you shape with the heat gun after you glue on the pieces, or do you need to get the shaping done before you start tacking things on? I'm thinking of the chest plate specifically, since it's area it pretty large.

TL;DR what glues would you recommend and can I shape the chest piece for better fit after things are glued on?
look for a group on FB called the N7 elite.... The couple that made the EVA armor that Mark Meer wears are the ones who run it. If they ask for a reference tell them Sapph sent you. They are really great at answering questions about all of this and have all sorts of links to tutorials for building the armor.

I think they use E700 or whatever it's called. I think they suggest doing your shipping then put it together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Rubber Slug posted:

If I were trying to recreate this vest, what materials should I look at? I was thinking Cordura, but was told it's really difficult to work with.

What game is that? Might help with the context of the parts.

You could maybe use a linen. It's got a nice texture to it. Is not horrible to work with, it just wrinkles like a bitch and a half.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Rubber Slug posted:

Hmm, yeah. Linen might work. Isn't most linen a finer weave than what's in the picture, though? It looks really coarse, which is why I was looking at cordura.
Ah ok... Not much of a half life fan... Fps's make me sick usually.

I got some pretty thick weave linen for my Jedi robe. It's not perfect but in a pinch. I've also seen a cotton that's got a nice thick weave in the fabric store, you might just go wander around.

You might also be able to use cross stitch cloth. I think there are places online that you can buy it by the yard. It's going to have that same weave but you can get it with bigger or smaller spacing.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Clear glitter is almost never actually clear, it will look pink or blue (usually) under light.

I have a friend who did her cards for Gambit out of the reflective sign material then put the part she didn't want to "glow" in a photograph over it. Instead of cutting little pieces of reflective material you could try it that way. Paint the other color over the top of the reflective material.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

That's cool. All the ones I've ever seen at the store is either blue or pink.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Fooley posted:

I read the thread, but apologies if I missed it. I really, really want to do a Garrus costume eventually. The only thing holding me back though is the mask. I found some high res reference shots from the game and a friend for their first time did Madam Vastra for DragonCon so I'm feeling confident I can pull this off. Sculpting and casting a mask are something I've never done though, so any tips or a good tutorial would be greatly appreciated. I'm giving myself a wide timeframe so that isn't an issue (I know I wont make NYCC/Halloween).

Reference shots

Garrus is such a bad rear end. I know a few people who have made him. Check out the N7 Elite costume group on Facebook. They are always happy to help people out with the Mass Effect costumes. I'm not sure if they've got a tutorial for Garrus but I know a few of them have made him that could help you.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

CantDecideOnAName posted:

Speaking of craft foam, I'm making a mask out of that and now that I've got the basic shape I'm wondering how to paint it. Can I just use acrylic paints or do I have to seal it first?
I used a spray paint meant for flowers on one that I did (it was meant for foam and I was in a rush).... I would throughly recommend sealing it. It took several coats to get any kind of real coverage because it just seemed like it soaked it up. I think I could have gotten a nicer finish out of it if I had sealed it before I painted it.

Also, since I was shaping small pieces I found a got a really nice result with the heat from a candle. I felt like I was melting my fingers trying to use a blow dryer and hold it in shape. I just held the foam over the flame until it got a bit soft then shaped it, blew on it to cool it off... It's held some really nice "sharp" points for my Mera crown.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I don't really want to waste a brush on glue. Are fingers and tacky glue an acceptable substitute (since those are things I already have)?

I used watered down school glue when I made did my second attempt at foam armor. I'm sure you could use a finger but if it's a big area spend a buck on a cheap brush.

That vest looks great.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Ah. Does it need a lot of coats of glue?

That is a nice vest indeed. Was his really that blue? Fantastic color.

I think I did like 5 or 6. I basically kept painting it until it stopped soaking it up.

I backed mine with some left over linen scraps that I glued to the back before I painted it. It helped.

I was going to use fiberglass resin on my knee "guards" for Miranda from Mass Effect. A friend did some tests for me, since I was mid-move, it didn't melt the 1/4" foamies from the craft store, sealed it really nicely and gave it a nice finish.

He didn't do any shaping, I was just curious if it would melt the foam, but I bet using the fiberglass on the back side to support the curves and what not and if you want a high shine on the front, just resin it.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I've recently got it into my head that I'd like to make a spiderman costume - I was originally going to try and do it for halloween, but after a fair amount of research on various replica / costuming sites, I decided to buy a cheap one this year and make a better one for next year or maybe comic-con... plus, after talking to my wife about it, she'd like to do something similar as well.

I'm having a hard time finding a place that does custom dye-sublimated full-body lycra suits, though - does anyone have a place that they'd recommend?

I asked my friend's, they gave me a few to avoid, but this guy kept coming up.

http://www.spidey4fun.ncable.net.au/

You can always check out the vendors reputation at the RPF, which I throughout recommend. I wish I had. I got ripped off by a guy who I later found out was well known for taking people's money then never delivering.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

According to his site, he's only doing non-licensed customs now. Thanks for the starting point, though!

I just shared the link a friend gave me... I've never ordered one.

You can also ask my friend... You can find him at 4th Wall Designs on fb. He's got a few, he at the least might be able to tell you who to avoid. I know he had a bad experience recently with his Electro and Owlman suits. He told me who he was going with for the new ones and I'll be damned if I can remember it. Lol

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

RazorBunny posted:

I've decided to make the chain mail skirt for my White Witch costume by knitting it in a single-strand cotton yarn and then painting it silver. I've seen people use the technique with sweaters to create passable mail shirts. I did a little fuzzy math and this thing is going to require something in the neighborhood of 25,000 individual stitches. Woo.

Any suggestions for a good paint for this? I'd prefer spray paint, but brush-on would be workable as well. I don't want to use regular ole hardware store spray paint, I can't handle my skirt smelling like that the whole time I'm wearing it. Is there a good spray paint for fabrics that doesn't reek?

I've seen people take just a regular fabric paint thin it down with water and spray it that way.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I was doing a lot of research on this myself, I wanted to add a creeping fog out of a Mr. Freeze costume. I was really limited to things that would be completely non-toxic since I wanted it creeping out of the neck piece. The only thing I found that MIGHT have worked for my uses was the little "steam" makers that they put into model trains. You can set them up to puff like a steam engine and such.

I never really got past the research phase of it but it might be work looking into. It would at least produce a "jet" of smoke. I don't know how it would look directed downwards, but its a place to start.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Oh I ruled out dry ice immediately. Lol I had friends suggest the water vaporizers that you can get in the winter.

I was looking at G scale trains (they're the biggest ones) for the smoke maker.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BhH9HJiBRX4
Hopefully that works, I don't have good luck with links from the iPad transferring well. It's a video by qora01m and his G scale train.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Hey all, I know I've seen lots of folks asking about the Mass Effect armor and such, I wanted to pass this info on for my friends. The N7 Elite group that was in the Dragon Con parade this year has started a forum where you can pick their brains, they are in the process of moving tutorials and such over, but if your interested you can sign up for the forums at n7elite.net

Anyhow....I think I may be insane because I'm trying to make the ME weapons that will actually fold up. I spent 3 hours yesterday playing with paper pieces. Anyone an engineer? I might need some engineering help when it comes to some of these linkages.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Anoia posted:

Nothing too complicated. I want it to look like a cheap souvenir shirt, so it'll be vector based and probably only use shades of pink, white, and maybe red on black.

Think of old 70's shirts, only in tank top form: text up top, drawing of the lake in between, and Silent Hill centered under that. Ideally the whole image can fit high on the chest, but I'm also thinking of slapping a drawing of Robbie the Rabbit's head on the back near the neckline.

You could always just make it yourself.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Screen-Printing%3A-Cheap,-Dirty,-and-At-Home/

I've done single color freezer paper stencils for friends for shirts but friend of mine did a 3 color Loki shirt using this tutorial and it came out great.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

JamSessionEin posted:

Fake edit: speaking of pack weight, thats one of the things I always find disheartening about props. If I make this jetpack or a proton pack from ghostbusters or something, I'm sure I can do it accurately, but it'll weigh a ton. I think many costumers get around that by casting their props in lighter resin and fiberglass after construction, but when I look at doing that, I'm horrified by how expensive mold rubber is. I worked out the costs and it's like a couple hundred bucks of rubber to make something backpack sized... At which point, I may as well have bought someone else's cast for the same cost and saved myself the time. I guess it makes more sense if you can resell casts or copies to recoup your costs, but I don't have that kind of time.

The other thing you can do to cut weight is to vacuform it. They're relatively easy to make in your home and if you don't want to lug around 30 pounds of fiberglass all day. It also leaves all sorts of room in the interior for bells and whistles, like co2 tanks to make jets come out the back. :)

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

JamSessionEin posted:

Oh good lord I didn't even think about this. I have been wanting one of these vaccuform tables for ages, but I never put two and two together. Gonna have to look into this.

I looked into it not too long ago because I'm talking hubby into building one. :D

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Happy Landfill posted:

^^^ Holy poo poo that's awesome!!

To whoever it was asking about doing alternate Heather Mason outfits: Do it! I love seeing alternate costumes and it definitely adds variety.

To anyone with experience dyeing fabrics: I have a skirt that is 50% Polyester 25% Acrylic and 25% Rayon. It's a light grey skirt that I'm trying to dye a really dark grey for a Hogwarts skirt and I was wondering if there was any dye someone would recommend? I've heard that dyeing polyester is kind of a process. A friend of mine suggested using a mixture of iDye and iDyePoly in the color I want, but I just wanted to get some second opinions before jumping head first into this. I've never dyed anything before.

I did some research not too long ago about dying polyester, the one I read suggested using alcohol as the liquid. I never got around to dying that fabric, and mind was 100% polyester so I wasn't worried about it not dying evenly.

I say rip the skirt into pieces and re-make it in the right color. Might be less of a nightmare.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Cheap Shot posted:

It's coming along, but sadly because I've been winging it, there's some problems.
The side light area is big and boxy and ugly and the helmet doesn't fit properly on top of the mask now because of it. It seemed to fit fine earlier so I was annoyed to find it now doesn't. The lenses also fog up like crazy. The EL wire is also pretty poor quality and has lots of dim spots, and the battery pack makes a high frequency hum right next to my ear. Welp! Might be too late to fix before Halloween.

The fogging can be fixed, there's coating that you can get that divers use for their masks.... Or so I've been told. I'm claustrophobic so I never wear masks.

The problem with the el wire could be that the battery pack is simply not putting enough power out to supply the whole strand with power.

Does the battery pack HAVE to be stored in the mask/helmet? Could you feed a wire down the back of your neck or something and store it on your body instead?

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Cheap Shot posted:

Woah cool thanks for this. I'm probably out of luck for halloween but maybe I can get some for future reasons to wear it.

I may have also damaged the wire removing it from the glasses. I think it was just cheap. It's ok, I'm going to tint the lenses red so just the light they give off should be enough.

I also found out that I can't put the helmet ontop of the mask because of the side light and battery pack being there. I removed the whole thing and rebuilt it on the helmet while looking at source images. It's a lot closer to the real deal now and the battery pack is going to be in a pocket instead of next to my ear.

Still gotta paint it up proper and tint the lenses red. Then I guess I'm done!

Hehe, cat crap. I just remembered some friends discussing it in reference to a Resident Evil costume he was working on and my brain filed away its existence.

Its good that you can make it work. I just spent a couple hours putting the final touches on my Jedi, I just HAD to have new robes. We get to wear costumes to work, very odd for the medical field, but I'm far too excited about this for a woman of my age. :D

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I've got a little Kenmore that my grandma bought me at sears several years ago. I've used it for everything including vinyl and leather. It doesn't always do the best job, and I probably shouldn't use it for heavier fabrics, but it will do it.

Just because its cheaper doesn't mean it's crap.

Eventually I'll replace mine with something more expensive, but I still use it.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

My sister and I both got the same machine, they both had issues with bird nesting on the bobbin. It was nothing a trip to the repair shop couldn't fix.... Well that and using my walking foot for heavier stuff and sometimes more than a couple layers of fabric, but if she's used to hand sewing even problems like that will be no biggie.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I shaped my crown for Mera over a candle and it got hotter in some places and I noticed it seemed to "seal up" a bit in those spots, but it was still very weak. I sealed it it with some glue before painting so I don't know about not needing more paint or not but it definitely needed support.

Something I actually did test for a Mass Effect costume was fiberglass resin (just the resin not the fiberglass fibers). Made it super rigid, didn't melt it (that was my biggest fear), and left a nice shiny top coat. Works great when the craft foam is already in the color you want and you want a super glossy finish.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Oh my god they're so cute/scary....cuary??? Anyway, awesome work.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Wow. They're incredible.

I'll admit when I saw that first picture I thought "well that could look like a fun fur nightmare." but then I saw your little ammo guys and it completely changed my mind. I can't wait to see what you do with the rest of it if those are your details. :) I have a feeling it'll be amazing.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

wheatpuppy posted:

"adorrifying"

PERFECT!

I need to rub up against these guys at a con and hope their talent rubs off on me.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Xaerael posted:

Super awesome stuff and useful info...

Seriously, holy crap. Every time I see it I'm convinced it was stolen from the Creature Shop then I remind myself it was just the labor of love of a guy in his house... Which makes it even more impressive.

I didn't know that about polyester though, not sure if I'll ever need it but I've filed that bit of knowledge away for future reference. :) thanks for sharing it, I can't wait to see more progress pics.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

If you're worried about it clinking too much you could always cover the grommet with embroidery floss. It would give you the stability of the grommet but it would cut down on the noise.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Thanks for the help. I've got to alter the piece a bit first, but I think I'll be on the right track after that.

I finally found my camera charger, so hopefully I'll get some progress pictures up in this thread soon.

My favorite way was a buddy who took his jacket for something to the gun range and shot at it. He needed bullet holes, so he made bullet holes.

This is also the guy who ran over a piece with a dirt bike over and over in a mud puddle in his back yard.

He usually just goes for the actual stain rather than faking it. Lol

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Jehuti posted:

Actually that's a really good way for me to visualise it. Once I figure out how to attach armour and stuff to my clothes I'll get right to it. Hopefully I can make it all work.

Attaching is sometimes the easy part, Velcro, glue, etc.

I agree though to start with something that plays to the skills you already have. I wanted to start with a fully armored Wonder Woman. Tried talking to a few of the "best costumers" and got completely ignored. I got really discouraged and almost gave up altogether because I figured all of them were like that. And I'll be honest, a lot of the ones I've met still are like that, but I'm glad I didn't give up. I've made some great friends and had a ton of fun.... Once I started making costumes that weren't out of my skills too much and once I found people who were willing to share their knowledge.

If you're looking to make Isaac's armor you might check out other tutorials, the guys and gals who do the Mass Effect costumes from EVA foam are always really willing to share info and answer questions. You might check out their forum, n7elite.net

Good luck to you. I hope your first costuming experience is a positive one. :)

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

ruggala posted:

Need makeup and hair help:

So I'm pretty much done for my cosplay for NYCC 2013. I have 2 questions that will help finish things up:

PROGRESS SO FAR: http://ruggala08.deviantart.com/gallery/40516304

1. How can I make my face or part of face and arms look like they are made of sand? Obviously I can't spray spraypaint at my face as that would be very dangerous and stupid. Any suggestions welcome.

2. How do I get this haircut: http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_small/3/31666/722147-sandman_1.jpg It seems to be a dark red color. I have no idea how to simulate that stripe pattern into real life. Once again, I'll take any suggestions.

Off the top of my head, liquid latex and actual sand? Maybe just apply a thin coat and while its still kind of wet put sand in it. I don't typically do makeup effects though, so I could be way off base there.

As for the hair, depending on how long your hair is you could do a finger wave to mimic it.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct....45921128,d.aWc

Good luck. It'll be awesome to see done. It's already looking great.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

broken pixel posted:

Pretty picture for a neat looking character

For the test tubes you could just use regular led's then use some fabric, or paper, or something to diffuse the light so it looks like its liquid. The bigger LEDs are more visible in daylight. Same thing for the staff.

The robe, I used Simplicity 5840 for my Jedi robe and it works pretty great. They've got a pattern for one with that little short over cape, which you could lengthen or shorten as needed. As for the design, a good fabric paint shouldn't come off, but if you're more comfortable drawing they make fabric paint pens.

If you want nice crisp edges you could make your own stencil too.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Red Robin Hood posted:

I would buy a $120 FX lightsaber and modify it.

You don't even need to buy the expensive one now. They're using that same blade in a cheaper model now.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12426395

I'm pretty sure its got the plastic handle of the really cheap ones and the blade of the expensive one. If you're going to have to modify it why spend that much on something you're going to destroy.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

broken pixel posted:

Have I ever mentioned how amazing you guys are at cosplay? :swoon:

I know I'm late replying, but I still want to say thanks! I might forego the test tube glow all together, but we'll see how my "painting the inside of tiny glass tubes" adventure goes. As for the robe, the pattern is great! We're going to work on it tonight, hopefully. I think I'm going to use fabric paint over fabric chalk lines and work my way carefully around the hood. It might not be perfect, but I think I can do it.

I'm coming back to ask for advice on my staff again. Of the supplies I have laying around, I've got a sturdy cardboard tube at the size I want, brown fabric that's pretty light/has minimal texture, acrylics, Mod Podge (because I'm too lazy to mix my own glue :shobon:), and all sorts of random other materials. I want the "claws" at both ends to look like branches, but I think I'll have to make them structured unless someone has a good suggestion. I could use cardboard, paper, fabric, and any other number of materials I have laying around, but I don't know what would be sturdy enough to withstand ~3 days of use. Once that's all done, I've decided to mount a clear orb on both ends... I guess my question is what materials are best for achieving this? I'm scared it's all going to crumble if I use hot glue or something. :ohdear: There must be a way.

I was going to do an Indigo Lantern at one point, they have similar-ish staffs so I did a lot of research at the time. If you want to use what you have already using some wire/wire hanger to get the basic shape down then you could use paper mâché to built it up to the right final shape. If you want to buy stuff, you could use the same starting point and use sculpey to get the final shape. Once its baked its rock hard. It'd make it through the 3 days as long as you don't beat someone with it. ;)

If you don't want to use wire as a base you could look into using the fabric and just stiffening the fabric. It might be less sturdy than using the wire as a base but it would keep you from buying anything.

There's all sorts of tutorials online for painted "milk glass" right now. I'm sure those could give you some tips for painting the test tubes.

I'm glad the pattern works for you. Lots of luck with the painting, can't wait to see how it all comes together. :)

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

McPantserton posted:

Also regarding drillchat, we used cardboard with an internal pink foam structure for our Big Daddy. We cut a spiral out and draped it down over the cone to make the threads. I cannot envision how you'd be able to make one out of craft foam without it being really floppy.

Resin. I actually did a test within for something I was working on. It makes it nice and hard and doesn't melt the foam. At least it didn't melt mine.

Also if you build a nice stable interior structure and are just using the foam for outside details then it won't be floppy.

I'd probably use a hard plastic for it myself, but that's just me.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

I'm also wondering what kind of finishes I could spray on the plastic of the mask to get that 1-way mirror look, ie: where I can see out, but people can't see in.

Can't help with the wings (I know you can get clear elastic at JoAnn's, but never used it for straps on anything heavy), but I can offer a suggestion for the 1-way mirror. Home Depot will be your friend. The film that they make for doors and windows. As long as its brighter on the outside you'll be able to see through and it will look mirrored to everyone else. Its a little pricy, but it will do what you want it to.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Turned out great! Nice job. :)

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Warheart525 posted:

I'm looking for a new costume idea for this year, but I have no idea what to do. Like I said, I'm about 6' tall, slim and have short red hair. I can't really think of a lot characters that would fit that description.

There's always any Simon Pegg character. You're taller than him but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Anyone got any cosplay suggestions for a group cosplay that involves four-six guys and one woman? Guys are of varying sizes, if that matters. The woman has requested that she be a) not too revealing and b) not a whimpering character. A few of my friends have thought about doing a group cosplay for next year's anime north, but can't decide what to do. Everything either doesn't really have it's own style, is too complex, or something like that. No idea.

Any combinational of X-Men/Brotherhood could work too.