Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Rahonavis posted:

I guess I was the only person who knew anyone who insisted for an obnoxious amount of time that it was actually pronounced "IN-tendo". Like, the N was silent.

I knew people like that too. I presume it was an example of juncture loss where "a Nintendo" became "an Intendo" in their minds, same as how English words like "umpire" and "adder" and "apron" and "nickname" were formed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Retail Slave posted:

In the early 90's the absolute coolest legal substance an 11-year-old could obtain (at least in my area) was a can of Jolt Cola. If you had Jolt, you were the poo poo. Then the rumor was they discontinued it because some kid drank 3 and his heart exploded.

I remember a notion floating around among the youngsters of the time that Bobcat Goldthwait drank a whole six-pack of Jolt Cola before going onstage and that was how he managed to be such a wildman!

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ooh, nice, I actually found a picture:

And from the other side:

In the retail development business, that sort of ersatz town center is usually called a lifestyle center for some reason.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Sizone posted:

Why couldn't you just have been a child of the '80's? Then it would've Starriors and the mystery could be solved.

Yeah I was thinking that or R.A.T.S. (Robot Anti-Terror Squad), which were made from the same molds as the Starriors for European markets. And I think the Zoids toy line actually started out with toys that were originally designed to be Starriors, or something like that. But like you said that was more mid-80s, although I guess 1000 Brown M and Ms might have been playing with one that was a few years old in the early 90s.

• Locked thread