Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember the collest cartoons (at least until Pokémon and Dragon Ball Z came along) were the like of Street Sharks, Biker Mice From Mars (which actually had a really good soundtrack, featuring the one and only Jeff Scott Soto on lead vocals) and X-Men: The Animated Series.

Does anybody remember Shinzo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did anybody ever see Mortal Kombat: Defenders Of the Realm, the saturday morning spin-off from the movie? You can check out the highlights here. There was a second one, but it's since been taken down.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who remembers Street Sharks? Along with Biker Mice From Mars it was considered the coolest cartoon you could see until Dragon Ball Z came along.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
OH, BOY! TUTTI FRUTTI!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

While it might have predated the 1990s by a few years, I think I must have had this entire series on cassette.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ringo Star Get posted:

That picture does it no justice. The actual video of the show is just so drat creepy.

I had this one on cassette as well, and I think it's much creepier.

Look at that creepy-rear end bastard on the right. I know he was the villain of the story, but good grief...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Quiksilva posted:

The first thing that comes to mind of the 90s with my childhood were Pogs and the first ever Now CD. God how badly that franchise has become...

This was probably the first CD I ever owned, although it's actually from 2001.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Quiksilva posted:

It also amazes me how it can make it to Now 48 in only about 3(?) years... Though I will admit I feel like the earlier part of the Now series were pretty decent to listen to. Nowadays the CDs just seem like trash.

Nah, in the UK the Now! series started back in the early 1980s and its been running continuously ever since. My brother has Now! 83 on his iPhone.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember this television advertisement for some anonymous love songs compilation. It was one of those ones which featured part of the tracklist scrolling up the screen, with a sampling of music video clips which were listed in a different text colour on said list. You know the sort I mean? To this day, I can't hear "The Voice" by John Farnham, "I'm Not In Love" by 10cc, "The Glory Of Love" by Peter Cetera and, to a lesser extent, "Alone" by Heart without imagining one of them segueing into another, just as they did in that advertisement.

Another odd recollection I have is being four or five years old and seeing the trailer for Cutthroat Island on TV. I thought it looked pretty cool, but obviously I never saw it. Fast forward to 2003, when twelve-year old me is watching the first Pirates Of the Caribbean movie, and I'm suddenly struck by the thought, "Didn't the trailer for this come out a really long time ago?"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I got this at a car boot sale when I was eight or nine.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

This book was campy, it was from the nineties and, yes, it was poo poo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Computer game cutscenes from nineties games crack me up. Check out Command and Conquer (especially the first Red Alert game) and Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight. They're so over-acted they loop round and become hilarious.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Perry Normal posted:

Holy poo poo that brings me back. There was another one, I'm pretty sure, with a character who sort looked like Kid Vid from the Burger King Kids Club. Can't find that guy, but here's Kid Vid.

Oh, man, the Burger King Kids Club. Pretty sure they were designed by the people who did Recess. Not sure who thought it was a good idea to call the one kid in a wheelchair "Wheels".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who remembers this?

I still have this on VHS. I thought it was great, but because I was only really familiar with the first half dozen or so games and the British fortnightly comic book series, I hadn't a bloody clue what was going on.

That being said, it's probably the best animated adaptation of a video game that was released in the nineties.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did anybody ever play any of the Lego computer games? Before my brother got a PlayStation, I played almost nothing but Lego Chess, Lego Loco, Lego Rock Raiders and the first Lego Racers and Lego Island games (also Age Of Empires II).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Call Now posted:

Lego games were pretty much the only games I've played in my childhood, almost all of them were great. Except LEgo Island, it was poo poo and had almost no gameplay. Every character had a distinct personality and voicework though, that was pretty rad.

Well, it was just half a dozen missions you had to complete, then you have to use a helicopter-mounted pizza and doughnut launcher to help the police officers catch the Brickster, and that's it. Unlike the other games, there just wasn't very much replay value.

As noted, when I was younger, the only games I played were Lego games and Age Of Empires II (until we got a PlayStation, anyway). In fact, Age Of Empires II could almost go here. The narrator for the William Wallace campaign was brilliant. He was like a parody of Braveheart ("BUILD TEN MORE... WOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAD RRRRRAIDERRRRRRRRS!").

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Non Serviam posted:

5. X-men. This was perhaps the first "dark" cartoon I watched. Despite being for children (I had a shitload of actiong figures, including a Sentinel and their plane) it was grim and even sort of scary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZAhqEiq4cA

Have a look at this video, if you haven't seen it already, and it's sequel.

More seriously, I was big into the X-Men cartoon when it was rerun seemingly endlessly on Fox Kids throughout the second half of the decade. I reckon it was an introduction to the characters for a lot of people; certainly, I was into X-Men before I started reading the comics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mooseontheloose posted:

The bigger thing is that it was mostly faithful to it's comic counter parts, so it introduced some of the best X-Men stories to lots of people.

Indeed. I think it did a great job with the Dark Phoenix Saga. I also enjoyed how they'd include these little easter eggs here and there for audience members who were familiar with Marvel comics more generally (for example, Doctor Strange, Thor, the Watcher and Eternity sensing Jean becoming the Dark Phoenix, or the annoying janitor who follows Bishop through Limbo turning out to be Immortus in disguise).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Look up "Captain Planet saves Belfast" on YouTube. I'm pretty sure there's one character who says, "You Fenian Prod!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Target Practice posted:

I went to a Catholic elementary school and every Good Friday the whole school would gather in the cafeteria. They would put on a slide show of the Stations of the Cross set to that song. That song is ingrained in my brain like you would not believe.

I ought to admit, I'm actually a huge Bryan Adams fan.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I recall seeing an episode of Pop-Up Video featuring "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You". Mutt Lange and Bryan Adams tried to a range of female vocalists to take on the song, including Annie Lennox, Sinéad O'Connor, Kate Bush and several others, and Adams only recorded it himself when they all turned him down. By all accounts, the film's producers hated the song (it was too modern, they said, not because it had a piano or electric guitars, but because of the drums) and didn't want it in the movie, but eventually relented and agreed to tack it on over the end credits.

Of course, it became the biggest single of 1991 nearly everywhere in the world.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

syscall girl posted:

It was one of the first CDs I ever bought. Along with the T2 soundtrack and :sigh: Kriss Kross.

The first CD I ever bought was Now! That's What I Call Music 48. I might have mentioned it earlier in the thead, but it isn't from the 1990s, it's from either 2000 or 2001.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Also, the toy I always wanted but never got. The Micro Machienes Super Van City!

My brother had one of those. He liked Micro Machines, I liked Hot Wheels.

quote:

Plus, the best days at school were when the teachers were to lazy to teach and would put on the Eyewitness learning videos. The theme song got me so pumped up back them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n3GJ-cYn6I

Yeah, I remember this. When I was much younger I was interested in astronomy. Keen to encourage this interest, my parents got my the Eyewitness video concerning the solar system for my birthday one year, and there was one bit that I always found supremely disturbing, a menacing narrator who intoned, "MANY ASTRONOMERS BELIEVE THAT VENUS... IS THE PLANET... CLOSEST... TO HELL."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skeleton Ape posted:

Do the Bartman!

A number one single in the UK in the year of its release. I understand that it was a Michael Jackson co-write.

The Simpsons is so deeply ingrained in pop culture at this point that it's a little bemusing to realise that it was such a massive phenomenon when it was broadcast the first time. I mean, celebrity guests in the programme are incredibly passé at this point, but I imagine getting, say, Aerosmith to appear in season three at the height of their fame was quite a coup.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, check this out, because it's certifiable late-nineties camp. Between 1998 and 1999, Tom Jones mounted a successful comeback with the album Reload, consisting mainly of re-recordings of his old hits as collaborations with contemporary artists. It also included two new tracks, and this was one of them. I remember it being huge when I was in primary school.

A few years later, it lead to this, which is one of the most hilarious things I have ever seen.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mooseontheloose posted:

Say what you will about Tom Jones, man can sing like no other.

Oh, absolutely. The man is in his seventies and he still sounds good; the contrast between his vocal performance and Paul McCartney's at the Diamond Jubilee concert last year was certainly something else.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cobalt impurity posted:

Holy poo poo I forgot pagers even existed. :psyduck:

My brothers were obsessed with them and getting totally tricked-out cases.

Remember how in Hey Arnold!, Helga's father was apparently a multi-millionaire who made his fortune selling beepers?

Now, that was a very "nineties" series, but I don't think you could say it was in the "nineties camp" category.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 22:45 on Mar 6, 2013

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed Veggie Tales. Veggie Tales was great.

I know I've posted Psalty in the thread already, but even so, get a load of the creepy French rat and somewhat inappropriately placed Eiffel Tower.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a video featuring a handful of 1990s Action Man toy advertisements.

I wonder whatever happened to Action Man?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who else thought this was a terrifying when they were seven?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I remember the Pokémon trading card game was the probably the most popular permutation of the franchise when I was in school. This was the first theme deck I owned and I remember how we could go to the second counter at the back of the local newsagent where they had this ring binder full of rare cards (Team Rocket's Dark Gyarados, Misty's Seadra, that sort of thing).

Honestly, I know loads of people still love the series, but Pokémon in general is campy nineties poo poo I'm still kinda nostalgic for.

It never ceases to amaze me how massive it was for a couple of years. How many multi-media sensations have we seen since Pokémon that reached the same scale of success? For that matter, how many anime movies ever enjoyed as much success outside Japan as Pokémon: The First Movie? I can't imagine it's a very long list.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Non Serviam posted:

I collected (but didn't play) Pokemon cards. Hell, I remember that I had that very box!

I don't think anybody I knew actually played the game. We all enjoyed the "trading" part, though. As I'm sure many can appreciate, it was all about getting your favourites.

Oh, man, now I have Poké-stalgia.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Was this the first big game to have a gun peripheral? I don't know, but I do know it was one of the coolest games you could get for the PlayStation when it came out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kalos posted:

Plus pokemon was no exception to 90's obsession with "collectible" things that would be magically worth millions on some unspecified future date, so everybody was afraid of their cards not being in perfect condition (thus ensuring none of them will ever be worth anything). Everything from baseball cards clipped off the back of a cereal box to a lovely Mr T comic were HOLY poo poo COLLECTIBLE GET 30 OF THEM.

I suppose that's true. Personally, almost all of my Pokémon cards ended up almost Pringle-shaped from riding around in my trouser pockets.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DrBouvenstein posted:

Daniel Craig with long hair does not compute! :psyduck:

He nearly looks like he's wearing a wig.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Which one is Justin Timberlake?

And why is Spock a member of the group?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EvilHawk posted:

With Gorilla Soup mentioning Australian children's shows, there's one I remember being shown in the UK but I can't remember the name of. It was set in a lighthouse and was quite scary, similar to Are You Afraid of the Dark? I think. Any ideas?

It might be Round the Twist.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When we got Sky TV, Rescue 911 was one of the main programmes on the reality channel. The one that I can recall most vividly is the one where these kids are playing in the back garden and decide to make a fire with a petrol can, and one of the boys sets himself on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The one that disturbed me most was a documentary series Great Crimes and Trials, which for some reason was broadcast on the History Channel before it became the Hitler/Nazi Occultism/Conspiracy Theory/Bible Code/Ice Road Truckers channel. I'm not sure why I started watching it, but the episode on Richard Ramirez (which I must have seen when I was about seven) ended up putting me off it for good.

• Locked thread