Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

What makes this particularly wonderful and, I suppose, heartbreaking (at least to me) is that if I lived in that world, Pirates of Dark Water would be on in an hour. Noy jitat!

Tin Miss posted:

This was on tv the other night. There has never been a more late 90s movie than this one.

You know, I really don't think there had been. For whatever reason, it's still on my go-to list of movies to watch when I'm getting that nostalgic feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

SouthLAnd posted:

When I wasn't watching Northern Exposure, I was up in my room listening to some sweet music like La Bouche or Hooverphonic on my sweet Sony Discman. Man, that thing was expensive and I don't even think it had Anti-Shock.

Shame about the Northern Exposure DVD's. I heard a lot of the music got cut due to legal bullshit.

It's odd you should bring that up. For years, I was searching for a song that was featured in a commercial for "Tim & Eric" and the only lead I could possibly find was that it was also used in the DVDs for Northern Exposure because, as you said, there were legal issues. (As it turns out, it was "Time Stood Still" by 5 Alarm Music.)

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Tin Miss posted:

The Carmen Sandiego computer game.

I just thought of it today when the background music for Dar-es-Salaam inexplicably popped into my head. For some reason I loved going to that city in the game because of that weird, slow singing.

See, this has now reminded me of horrible things. When I was in sixth grade, which would have been around 1995, they had Apple IIs (or something very much like them) in the math room. And that drat game. I must have played that thing at recess every day for a month. I had almost hit the rank of "Detective." Came in the next day and somebody had goddamn deleted the save. I can't imagine why I was so angry, but I definitely was.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Pens were my ultimate weakness. I got completely sucked into the gel-pen hype of the late 90s, but even before that, I had a bright red pencil box (adorned in holographic Pokemon stickers, duh) that was filled to the brim with a pen from every pack of interesting pens I had used since kindergarten. There was probably a pen of every color. I used to love those clear neon pens that came in hot pink, blue, purple, and green (the best one), because neon was everyone's favorite color in the 90s. I had these swirly clear ones that I loved looking at. I can't find any evidence of them online, but I remember they were Bics and they came in red, green, blue, and maybe purple.

I remember the exact Bic pens you are referring to, at least if they were in the style of Bic "crystals" but in awesome colours. The problem is, I also remember all sorts of other Bic pens from the same era. And I, too, can find zero images of them online. There was a period in the 90s where Bic was releasing series after series of "themed" pens. Tribal. Aliens. Zebra stripes. There were so many I don't even remember them all. What I do know is that, for no reason I can explain, I NEEDED to have ALL OF THEM.

Jesus. I carried around a ball of such pens in a rubber-band when I was in fourth grade. There were at least fifty.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I found a half-used solid black pad of post-it notes specifically for use with gel pens and those neon pens in the far back of the supply closet at work the other day, but no matching pens. I've just been using them to confuse coworkers with invisible notes since I don't have any proper colors that would show up.

Ooh. I know what you're talking about there too? but the pens that would write on black paper were an entirely different animal from the ones I was talking about in my last post. Those were just your basic bics with WILD AND CRAZY thematic elements to make you seem all unique or something. I'm going on another google-hunt.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Daria's only weakness is that the best episode (Boxing Daria) is the very last episode.

I completely agree. I always felt cheated by it in the sense that it opened some things up that we were obviously never going to get to explore. Goddamn. I didn't even realise I was still annoyed about that until you reminded me. Well done?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Shoeonhead22 posted:

I completely forgot the name of that show but yeah, it was pretty amazing. Kid was in a coma world and attempts to leave the coma world would destroy it/his coma friends, so he stayed in it. His parents should have pulled the plug that poo poo went on for like 4 years.

I remembered the name and it still took me years to find it. The only other details that I could recall were a) the plot had something to do with the main character's father's telescope and b) BRAD IS RAD and you will be brainwashed into thinking that's true while in some sort of ball pit. I live right on the US/CA border, so when I visited my grandmother, I would watch it via the ol' rabbit ears at any and every opportunity.

Then she got satellite. God drat it! No, wait, that was also excellent at the time.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Anybody else remember Z-Bots? My brother and I loved the gently caress out of those things. And godDAMN if we weren't going to look through every single back at the toy store to see if any of them contained Neptoon. I think we finally got him by trading a bunch of the lamer ones to a friend of mine.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Retail Slave posted:

In the early 90's the absolute coolest legal substance an 11-year-old could obtain (at least in my area) was a can of Jolt Cola. If you had Jolt, you were the poo poo. Then the rumor was they discontinued it because some kid drank 3 and his heart exploded.

Man, I think I lived on that stuff for awhile. Although, to be fair, I think that was '99-'02, so I'm not sure that it counts. Way, way better than Surge, though.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

With all that said, though, the Nomad is loving awesome and probably my favorite video game thing that I own. :krad:

My children somehow destroyed mine. And by "somehow" I mean that they were fighting over it and IF I CAN'T PLAY IT RIGHT NOW NOBODY CAN. It was a sad, sad, angry day. Let's hope the N64 lasts longer in their not-so-gentle hands. At least they can both play that at the same time?

(Don't worry. I kept my gold pre-order Ocarina of Time cart safely hidden away. That, at least, will survive.)

burial
Sep 13, 2002

John Murdoch posted:

Similar to gawking and squinting at video games over the counter at KB Toys, there was also Sears' posh video game boutique. The heartbreak when it was reduced to a single locked cabinet, half-hidden in the main electronics section, and filled with ancient but worthless Gameboy games. :smith:

I remember that! Suddenly, I didn't mind so much that it took my mother seven times longer than a human child can deal with to shop for clothings or whatever the hell else I didn't care about at the time.

Didn't they briefly have a system or two set up to mess with, or am I making that up? It is not impossible that I'm thinking of another place. Definitely the same era though.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

John Murdoch posted:

As I recall, they pretty much always had a GameBoy Pocket and a SNES set up. And the SNES was always demoing Donkey Kong Country.

Okay, I'm counting that as confirmation. THe Donkey Kong Country thing seals it. In fact, I think the GameBoy Pocket might have had Donkey Kong Land for awhile as well. I seem to recall the cart was yellow. And back then, that was somehow awesome all on its own.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Non Serviam posted:

Considering how lovely the Virtual Boy was, in your case the phrase "A mother knows best" surely applies.

Jesus, Virtual Boy WAS horrible. And yet, for the brief period of time that I owned one, I played the hell out of it. It made me physically ill and I wound up hurting my neck because I didn't have a proper stand for it. I think I only liked it because nobody else I knew had one.

Yeah, I could do without having had that experience.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

oldpainless posted:

Nerf Ultimator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7GG57caQDY

70 feet my rear end!! A loving sparrow flapping its wings once a half mile away was enough to send that thing wildly off course. Usually right into the ground.

Accurate, no. Powerful, yes. At least, I seem to recall breaking enough poo poo with it to have it banned from the house for awhile.

Those were some good times, and I'd completely forgotten them before I clicked the link. I believe it was actually my brother's, but he was (and still is) younger by nearly five years. That made temporary acquisition of coveted toys a fairly easy feat.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Solar Winds haunts me and I can't really explain why. My brother and I convinced our parents to buy it for us out the shareware rack at a Faye's drug store. What I remember about it can be broken down into the following list:

1) The combat seemed awesome. (I'm pretty sure it wasn't.)
2) There was an elusive sequel we obsessed about for years but never played. (I still wonder how it was.)
3) Part of the game involved flying in one direction for about twenty minutes.
4) When you got there, the ships you had to fight were way too hard. (They were the main enemy ships. I think you meet one near the beginning. They're dudes with horns.)
5) It took forever to figure out the point allocation system that let you "customize" your lovely ship.

We were convinced we were missing large parts of the game because of what I can only imagine was a glitch wherein, on route to #3/#4, you'd sometimes see stars/ships that disappeared when you stopped.

God, I hope somebody else remembers this and can fill me in.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Tyson Tomko posted:

Yeah! I scored the Highlander TV series (probably bootleg) at a flea market years ago along with Quantum Leap and I've watched them both several times so rock on. Speaking of 90s shows, one of the hardest shows to track down copies of that I was finally able to score not too long ago, freaking First Wave. I love love love the Outer Limits-esqueness of it and how dark yet 90s campy everything is, it's great.

As in "On the seventh dawn of the seventh day..." etc.? Because If so, where the hell did you find it? I haven't looked in awhile, but I recall having very little luck.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

King Vidiot posted:

Also the Stick Stickley address jingle.

Write to me, Stick Stickley, PO Box 963. New York City, New York State, 10108!

Ah, Stick Stickley. It's one of those rare things that I really wish I could go back and experience again. I'm pretty sure I didn't appreciate it as I should have when I was a child.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

"it's 6 feet of bubble gum. For you not them!"

It's depressing I'm now the "them" and can no longer enjoy the bubble tape

Honestly, I found it pretty overrated even BEFORE I fell into the "them" category. I mean, it was six feet of bubble gum, yes. But it was awful and flavourless after about four seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Nth Doctor posted:

I'm knocking on 30 myself and I remember this. I thought it was one of the more tolerable nick jr shows to watch when I was home sick from school. Much better than Barney :colbert:

Agreed. I mean, the pollywog wasn't my favourite? but Barney is just flat-out intolerable.

• Locked thread