Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Thanks to the people who recommended Heroes. I'm powering through it now and it's really filling the hole IY2 isn't.

Fun, cute, crazy. Everything I want from Korean variety :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jamesman posted:

I jumped ahead in episodes of Gag Concert and I finally got to toe debut of Brave Guys. I can't get enough Shin Bora. I love her to a ridiculous degree and now I have two sketches to see her in! Brave Guys loving owns.

If you're up for it, the latest episode of IY2 has Shin Bora in it for a minute or two when they take some high school kids on a quick tour of the TV studio where they tape all the shows.

She does a quick bit of improv comedy with her costars and everyone makes fun of each other.

EDIT - I should point out that it's episode #39.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
gently caress yeah! Can't wait for the subs to come out.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I caught the latest T-ara Sexy Love video the other day and the symbolism just kicks you in the head.

The video starts with the group in boxes, like dolls. But wait, there seem to be a single space empty! Whatever could that mean?

Oh look, here's a man with another box to fill the space.

There, slots nicely into place. Like there was never a gap at all.

Hmmm, I wonder what it could all mean :shrug:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
So what do Koreans do for drugs? It can't just be cigarettes and alcohol.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Jamesman posted:

Starring: Lee Byung-Hun, Kim Tae-Hee, Jung Joon-Ho, Kim Yeong-Cheol, Kim Seung-Woo, Kim So-Yeon, TOP

TOP's eyebrows deserve their own listing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

TEHJOE posted:

When asked if she’d ever publicly date, she said, “I’m going to hide it for as long as possible. Fans told me to make sure I don’t get caught, that I could do whatever I want but they asked me not to hurt them. Fans always tell me to hide it.“-IU (less than a week ago)

In the first few episodes of Heroes, IU mentioned she had a thing for older men. Not too unsurprising as, at the time, she had already been in the music industry for a while and would have found it hard to relate to teenage boys.

Then in another episode she said she hadn't ever dated and, when one of the MCs mentioned she had just been on the radio giving dating advice to young girls a few days earlier, came right out and said that her company had told her to say that.

quote:

The same week when Suzy's starts to lose her "Nation's First Love" image as well.

What did Suzy do?

Given how goddamn hard they work the idols over there (some of the worst examples include 20 hours days, no days off for a whole year, not getting paid for a year, 3am starts to get around labor laws and school requirements, *cough*bullying*cough*, etc) they deserve any happiness they can find for themselves.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 10, 2012

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Symphoric posted:

Is there a reason why all the Korean celebrities don't just join together and come out and say "Hey guess what people, we're all regular human beings who have relationships with each other, so get over it already" all at once? I mean, will Korean society collapse or something? Does the industry itself just not want things to change? I really don't get it.

Okay, I managed to find this old quote from the Running Man thread on the differences between an idol and an actress:

Selane posted:

As far as fans are apparently concerned:

Jessica (Girl's Generation) kissing some guy in a drama: not ok
Jihyo (actress, star on Running Man) in a 69 with Jo Insung in a movie: totally ok

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The whole concept of the anti-fan that they have over there weirds me out.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I've become addicted to watching the practice versions of the music videos. There's something just so satisfying about watching the idols dancing in their daggy old clothing in their tiny studios. Often, if the studio has a clock or windows you can see it's insanely late at night, so you can guess they've been practicing their routine for countless hours (well, for countless hours on that day alone, in one of the Heroes episodes Gahee says that a single minute of dance takes a full week of practice to learn!), but they still look so fresh and full of energy, it's amazing.

It used to be almost impossible to find the practice vids, or they'd be really lovely quality, now everyone's doing it. Of course, now that it's becoming a 'thing', the companies are starting to care about how they come out.

The one for Jewelry's latest release, Look At Me, has multiple angles and is very professional. Takes all the fun out of it :(

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

GenghisTron posted:

Kshownow are subbing the rest of Heroes since SHSubs randomly imploded. Finally I can finish this show. Watch it if you're into Running Man, etc.

That's great to hear. I thought I'd never get to watch the last half a dozen episodes.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 30, 2012

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Jamesman posted:

-Ace of Angels is on my list of favorite groups now. A female idol group/rock band? gently caress yeah.

Their song Get Out is great for playing really loud to get you moving. I've got it set on rotation when I ride and it really gets the legs pumping.

One thing I've noticed is that, in the old practice videos for the song, the group had 7 members, but in all the actual performances I've seen, they've only had 5.

I wonder if 2 got dropped or they're just not trotting them out while the other girls 'play' their instruments on stage. Things change so fast in Kpop that I feel like I'm always far behind.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Jamesman posted:

Yeah, they're an 8-member group. 7 of them are idols (singing and dancing), and 5 of them are a band (play instruments). One of the members of the band, the drummer, is not an idol member.

Even for the world of Kpop that's weird. Guess it's true what they say about drummers then I suppose.

For what it's worth, she did look really great as Leeloo in the Get Out music video.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I once asked a drummer how to spell "Mississippi".
He said, "the river or the state?"

How do you tell if the stage is level?
The drummer is drooling from both sides of his mouth.

How can you tell a drummer's at the door?
The knocking speeds up.

How can you tell a drummer's at the door?
He doesn't know when to come in.

What's the last thing a drummer says in a band?
"Hey, how about we try one of my songs?"

What do you call a drummer that breaks up with his girlfriend?
Homeless.

What do you call a drummer with half a brain?
Gifted.

What does a drummer use for contraception?
His personality.

What do you say to a drummer in a three-piece suit?
"Will the defendant please rise?"

Hey, did you hear about the drummer who finished high school?
Me neither.

Why do guitarists put drumsticks on the dash of their car?
So they can park in the handicapped spot.

How is a drum solo like a sneeze?
You know it's coming, but there's nothing you can do about it.

What's the first thing a drummer says when he moves to LA?
"Would you like fries with that, sir?

What do you do if you accidentally run over a drummer?
Back up.

What did the drummer say to the band leader?
"Do you want me to play too fast or too slow?"

What's the best way to confuse a drummer?
Put a sheet of music in front of him.

What do you call someone who hangs around with musicians?
A drummer.

Why did the drummer stare at the frozen juice can?
Because it said, "Concentrate".

Why are band breaks limited to only 20 minutes?
So you don't have to retrain the drummer.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
In a lot of subs for different shows they keep using "unknowingly" and I do not think that word means what they think it means.

I'm guessing that a more accurate translation would be along the lines of "before we knew it the sun was setting" or "before we even realised it, we had reached Eunhaeng-dong"

Also, for those in Australia, a little birdie told me that Monday night PopAsia is coming back.

Don't ask me how I knew.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
BEG is the best Korean group ever.

I love their policy of "gently caress you, we don't give a poo poo". Also their music is loving great.

I think I have nearly their complete works now and if you told me just a couple of years ago that I would be buying up the works of a band that sings in a language I don't even speak, I would have called you a madman.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 19, 2012

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It's got Yewon from Invincible Youth 2 so that makes it a must-see for me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Is there anyone in the Korean entertainment industry who hasn't collapsed from exhaustion (or malnourishment) at some point?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Good lord, who in the company saw the Taeyeon pic and said to themselves, "Yes, that's perfect!"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Rinseh posted:

The Sunny one is pretty awful too.

If I didn't already know it was Sunny in that picture, I would never have guessed.

She looks nothing like herself - if you know what I mean.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I really don't get this whole idea of starving the people doing intensive physical activity for eighteen hours a day. Especially when their ability to sustain that level of activity is your bread and butter.

It's not how much you eat, it's what you eat. Combined with South Korea's incredibly low obesity rates, it should be a non-issue.

Also, given that all the idols seem to live in company housing, why don't the companies simply buy a highrise, fill it with all their talent and put in a gymnasium, pool, spa and a cafeteria with menus designed by skilled dieticians. Hell, if you want to go the whole hog, put in a few plastic surgeons, too?

In one move you ensure that your talent are eating correctly and living healthy.

Of course, it might end up like the Olympic villages where the athletes stay. Everyone gets one room, one set of bedding, one set of towels, one set of cutlery. And about twenty condoms.

South Korean might not be ready for that quite yet.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Wait, Hyorin's the one who gargles glass isn't she?

I've only ever heard her talk on Running Man but she honestly sounds like she's been screaming at the top of her lungs and has worn it out.

I just went looking for the ads, the only places I found that weren't shady as gently caress had them hosted on youtube and they were all gone.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It definitely felt like three f(x) songs Frankensteined together.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Sounds like he's going to suffer the worst fate in the Korean celebrity world - shame.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
MOGEF Official Policy 26b: rear end and vagina's fine. Just don't show them shameful titties!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Even the other members of the group say she's like a 12 year old boy. As cute as it seems, I sure it wears off when you're woken at 3 in the morning because Yoona's found a chicken foot, stuck a piece of corn on it and just HAS to show you how funny it is.

Thought I'd like to hear more about this burning potatoes thing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I dunno, idols are ridiculously tiny.

Look at Goo Hara next to Suk Jin and Ji Hyo, she'd have to be in the children's section.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
At this point I wouldn't be surprised to hear KKS speak out against laws limiting the size of hessian sacks because it stops him from using them to drown puppies.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Archer2338 posted:

Well, their point was that the sales weren't driven by music quality, but instead from the popularity of IC itself.

Isn't this also the whole idea behind the concept of the idols?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
There's something about that final race that just kills idols. I remember when Goo Hara faceplanted right at the finish.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Jamesman posted:

Everyone apparently got up at 4am to prepare for filming, and then filmed for 22 goddamned hours for that thing. That's just insane and there's no reason for such a thing to happen.

That's loving ridiculous. I can't even imagine running around after 22 hours of, well, of running around. I'd probably faceplant too.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Why the hell isn't SBS doing this? They've organised concerts before in Australia Sydney.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Ah, I thought the last couple of Australian concerts SBS covered on PopAsia were organised by them as well.

Also, gently caress weaboos. Jpop seems far more toxic to me than anything produced in Korea, at least with regards to their fanbase that is. I checked out the "Who's covering up Tomomi Kasai's boobs?" thread in GBS (because who doesn't love boobs?) and I really wish I hadn't now because the phrase "AKB48 semen handshake" told me more about the minds of Jpop fans than I ever wanted to know.

Also one their members was once so harassed after going on a single date she ended up shaving her head in penance and begging her fans' forgiveness.

Also, also:

Fans meeting the group (often after spending a couple thousand dollars buying huge numbers of their CDs to win their chance) have to be held by someone behind them at all time. Occasionally the creeps work together and throw nasty bugs at the girls too. Charming :allears:

A far cry from that time some T-ara fans limply threw eggs on the ground near their company HQ.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Fair enough. To make up for it, here's the cutest, sweetest Kpop video I've seen in the last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LtVvmSYoN0

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Not as bad as some of the old X-becomes-Y poo poo that used to get turned out.

I'll take cross-dressing time travelers any day.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I think the song Psy released right after Gangnam style was better than this by a mile.

Right Now (actual song starts about 45 seconds in). It's a real get up and run around song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmHdefsaL6I

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Bankok posted:

Dramafever has Barefoot Friends.

KShownow has it as well. Think I'll check it out now.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Noh Hong Chul gets easier over time. He'll be incredibly loud and obnoxious at the start of a series to keep the energy up and people moving about, but he calms down once people get comfortable and can really knock things out of the park.

I like to think of him as Korea's Brian Blessed. It helps.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Selane posted:

also Tiffany's gonna be throwing the first pitch at a Dodgers game, hopefully she doesn't follow in Jessica's footsteps

I fully expect her to uphold the proud tradition of Korean female celebrities throwing baseballs and spike it straight into the ground.

Well, except for Hong Su-ah

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
There's no excuse for bullying or slapping one of your team members but, if you worked every day for a year, 18 hours a day, were treated like utter poo poo, had an employer who didn't think of you as anything other than a product to exploit and was openly contemptuous of you, and all the rest of the poo poo that was going on, it's not surprising things inside the group turned toxic too.

Now I just feel bad for them.

EDIT - Now here's a topical link: All Kpop has just done an editorial on scandals in the Kpop world. It includes T-ara's woes, Nichkhun's DUI, Kang Ho Dong's tax scandal and a bunch of other things I hadn't even heard of.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 28, 2013

• Locked thread