Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

So the webtoon True Beauty continues to be fun and has a far more accurate portrayal of real life teenagers than most romance dramas set in high school usually do. I really like the cast, and how most of the characters are generally decent people with reasons for acting the way they do. The make-up stuff is also interesting.

I'm rooting for the Second Guy, even though he has no chance. I like how both the love interest guys are still awkward teens who spaz out at home, even if they obviously have to look like idols.

I'm also enjoying the second guy since he's been able to interact more with the MC and I like their chemistry better than her with Suho. But we all know that this love triangle is going to end with the first love interest winning even if he can't take a spooky movie. If you're interested in series dealing with makeup, there's also a webtoon called The man who Cleans up makeup that's really good although its translations haven't updated in a few months.

Gologle posted:

Gosu is awesome yes, only reason why I'm not reading it is because since webtoons picked it up for official translation it was noticeably worse than the fan translation but because it's because officially translated nobody else is touching it. If that has changed and the translation has improved let me know, I would love to get back into it. (Also the official translation was years behind last I saw).
I don't really notice that much different in the official and fan translations outside of how people handle naming moves. But SupremeCream still releases their scripts on their blog if you prefer their translations, they just don't do anything fancy like setting up an overtooning script so you wind up having to read the chapter in parallel windows.

Edit: I went back to their blog and there was an announcement I hadn't caught saying they would be discontinuing their translations even before the hiatus since the officials caught up. So :shrug: on what I was talking about.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Got a few of recommendations

The Jinx's Lover - A romance webtoon set in the modern times where, as the name implies, a very unlucky guy finds himself entangled with a girl whose very touch can bring good fortune to people. However, there are those out that that abuse this power and horde it ruthlessly.

The monster duchess and the Contract Princess - Victorian setting where a the youngest daughter of a noble family finds herself as the sacrificial lamb for her older sister, but instead of being consumed by the flames she survives and then plots to escape her family at all costs.

Burning Effect - Battle series located in an authoritarian city where any crime is punishable by death and the supervisors that reign over the people ruthlessly pursue all criminals. The strongest of these supervisors is a man known as 'Great' whose sword is said to cleave building in half. Main character is a woman named Burner who one day finally grows tired of pretending to live and strikes back. Probably the closest in feel any other series has gotten to Hellper and the art has a similar style of using black and whites with colors mostly used to highlight characters. It's also anime as hell and some pretty obvious references and nods to other series like My Hero Academia and Trigun.

Fight Class 3 - Jiu Ju-Tae lost his sister years ago when his father took her away. He's spent the resulting years looking for any trace of him and something finally sticks when he meets one of his school's MMA fighters Maria Dacoscos. She also is looking for Jiu's father but with revenge on the mind and helps Jiu enroll in what the school calls the Fight Class, a group of students that all participate in MMA with the goal of going professional as this relates to Jiu's father who is a well regarded fighter and possibly has ties to the school.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Like a Butterfly got an update and things that had been piling up are crashing down.

Contract Princess however has kept it light hearted despite the repeated attempts on a little girls life.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

and it just has some tonfa in it

It has something even more important in it The picture of his wife. But I remember the last time it was raining and Kung fu Dad went on the hunt, those assassin guys picked a really bad target and should hope the Wind Dragon's people get to them first.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

That Works posted:

I never had too many problems with the Gosu translation and I loved it. However it's been on hiatus for a long time as one of the authors is extremely ill. Might not get finished :smith:

I actually went back for a re-read since it got mentioned. Naver's site says Gosu returns on the 23rd.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Is anyone else reading Lavender Jack? It's a pulp serial inspired series that's entered into it's 2nd season and I'm amazed at how tight the writing is, and how good the characters and story is. The first season followed an ensemble case of characters living within the city of Gallery. A alt-history city located somewhere in Europe which finds itself in the grips of an elusive cabal of businessmen and politicians. To shake things up the cities elite find themselves stalked by a devilish man in a distinct purple suit. To combat this, the mayor calls in the aid of an aged but still famous sleuth to find the identity of this criminal and things move on from there.

The first season was fantastic from start to finish and Dan Schkade is an amazing storyteller. And to add to this the 2nd season has a prevailing theme about how actions have consquences and really builds on the events and actions that occured in the first chapter. If you want a solid series based around action and intrigue this is for you.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
By the by, GOSU has been up for a couple weeks now.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

Another thank you for the Kubera reminder!!
I really like most of ToG, Kubera, Gosu and Magician (heavily underrated). What other webtoons should i check?
I found noblesse boring after a while and the God of Highschool initial arc left me with little desire to continue.

I would recommend some of the "completed" stuff on webtoons: Hellper and Hive for starters. Gourmet Hounds if you want a good romance.

Ongoing series? I cannot recommend Lavender Jack enough especially after the chapter that dropped today. Room of Swords is on it's way out the door but there's still some months ahead and it's worth picking up any time. Muted and Urban Animal are both currently on hiatus between their seasons but both are good modern fantasy series, with me favoring the latter because the premise is about shapeshifters.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

BURNING EFFECT BURNING EFFECT BURNING EFFECT BURNING EFFECT BURNING EFFECT BURNING EFFECT BURNING EFFECT.
This one as well as Peerless Father.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Sindai posted:

Gosu status: after more than two years IT'S HAPPENING :supaburn:

"Sorry kid, your master was a massive prick and the guy who killed your parents. You can't run away from accepting this anymore"
Oh man, this is going to be something isn't it?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
:suspense: I think we have a problem.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
A different group has picked up Burning Effect, which had previously left off on one hell of a cliffhanger.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Gologle posted:

Gosu: "No no guys, trust me, I wasn't actually fighting you with my full power, you didn't win"

This series became Dragonball a while ago. I want Namek to be over now.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

That Works posted:

Still unclear as far as I can tell.

Neither of them are ever really shook about anything, so you kinda suspect they could just take out Gang if they maybe had to, but imo it's hard to say. If they aren't stronger than Gang there's no one else who is either though.

They also have many more years of experience on them so I don't think it's going to purely boil down to power levels, but yeah. if Gang is just the defacto strongest person around now there's not much else that can be done outside of breaking Maksa's mind control

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

That Works posted:

After reading the most recent chapter I am feelin pretty good about Goo Hwi teaching the kid a lesson

Turns out all we need is Yeri to solo all of Maksa's bullshit and set her man's mind back in order. I haven't re-read the series on just a long enough amount of time to forget how scary she is and also how ridiculously powerful a medium she is.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

That Works posted:

How dare you forget Legend of Koizumi

Any time I describe that series to people it winds up sounding like a fever dream. I love it, wish it was getting more frequent translations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So Deathtoll Scans has released the first and second chapters of Hellper 2 <KillBeros>. Hopefully they find a typesetter for the long haul because this is a sequel I've wanted translated for some time although it's more accurate to call it a prequel.

The original series can be read on Webtoons and is well worth a read.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
GOSU is a story about revenge at it's core, and the most recent chapter is one of the best instances in the story really. Just killing the guy before you even sit down and watching his corpse slowly realize what happened

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Gologle posted:

I finally got around to reading the ending of Gosu. As luck would have it, when I stopped reading it was JUST before the explanation about Yong's master, so basically the last 5-7 chapters. Call me sentimental, but I really felt that it stuck the landing. Maybe I would have liked to see Yongbi and company in the final chapter, but I'm also perfectly happy that it's just about Gang and his new peaceful life with his family. I feel very confident in giving my recommendation to anyone who might be interested in reading Gosu.

I was just glad with how Gosu resolved the two other prodigies routes. Soh got the single most cathartic moment in the series when He had already killed the old man the moment he sat down and was literally just waiting for death to catch up to him. gently caress that guy he deserved it and I'm glad Soh took out the trash.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Girls the Wilds remains the most infuriating manhwa I have ever read.
What's yours?

Pick literally any korean isekai and it's probably the must infuriating thing I've read this week.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

That Works posted:

Peerless Dad is great, especially early on. It's not bad now per se, just got more complicated plot stuff going on that has been slow burning. One of my favorites though.

History will remember how one 14-15yo girl was instrumental in settling a battle for succession just by getting piggy back rides from her dad.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Stumbled upon an archive for a series called Hive. It was originally hosted on Webtoons but a couple years ago they removed all of the chapters for some initiative to get people to re-read it again by re-uploading the chapters from the beginning, but then they pushed the chapters to the app at some point last year I think. I've been re-reading it since finding it again and it's still a fairly solid post apocalypse story in which the main character is an engineer stuck in a bad spot as his position in his company is eroding given his boss stole and patented a piece of technology from him years ago and he's currently being forced out of the company he works for by that same man. But during a smoke break there's a warning about wasps but what that announcer leaves out is that these wasps aren't the normal kind.

What follows is the extended quest for one man to hopefully reunite with his wife and child in the face of Armageddon. It also has one of my favorite characters in the form of a badass old man who is a sort of mercenary and the dude that carries the team many times on his aged and experienced back and knows far more than he lets on at any point in time.

Unfortunately in the years since the first series ended Webtoons hasn't had anyone translate both sequel series that continue on where the first series ended. There was a MTL attempt for the first sequel that dried up last year so it's not worth recommending. Still, Hive on it's own is worth the recommendation.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Guyver posted:

Peerless Dad got a five chapter update and Noh has had enough of this poo poo.

He has embraced his true calling as the human blender.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I have yet to read a single cultivator series but if that's an example of the problems with cultivators, then I'll take a bad one of those over a bad gate (nationalism and revenge fantasies) or bad isekai series (child brides and slavery).

You didn't have to qualify it by saying bad isekai. Most isekai are bad and it's the exception to the rule that should be called out.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I love that Baek was told not get into a fight, and for like a year and a half he did just that. Only to throw his first serious punch and turn someone's head into gore and then pauses because :dafuq:

Man I love the political stuff in Father Peerless. It's fascinating.

The factions, the petty infighting, the choosing sides, etc. etc.

It makes it worth it when Noh decides he's had enough of that poo poo and just makes his own faction and stops trying to zigzag between the two useless Tang sons and decides to ally with the capable Tang cousin instead.

Re-reading Peerless dad with the Tapas translations instead of having a different group every 30ish chapters really cleared things up for me. This is also the first manhwa that I've followed that really gets into the politics of these Murim stories. The few other's I've read have only really been one sect versus another or just a lone warrior that kind of does his own thing with light politics. Noh's philosophy of "seeing things through" is what really endears me to him as a character. And the brilliant Dragon Pavillion is a good capstone for how Noh

And I'm eternally annoyed that neither of Tang's lovely sons bit the dust. They got my boy Ilcho killed and he deserves justice. :argh: If Noh doesn't get to them I hope the Administrator decides to take action.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Sindai posted:

One even less-often utilized thing webtoon does is allow parts of comics to be animated gifs. Nevermore is the only one I've seen actually do it.

Room of Swords used gifs as well.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I've finished catching up to the current translations for Fist Demon of Mt. Hua and I've been enjoying the story overall. The premise is a boy is saved by a group of the illustrious Mount Hua martial artists. However one of his legs is lame and it prevents him from learning the traditional styles of his sect. With an unbreakable determination and the support of his master, a scholar with a wide depth of knowledge in martial arts, they begin to devise a style that will suit his limitations.

The first step is to turn him into a human battering ram rail canon. If he can't have fancy footwork he must charge his opponents with speed and concentrate all his might and force into a single point. From there tragedy and opportunity continue to mold him into an absolute monster of a fighter. A figurative Saitama if you will.

In recent years I've gotten a lot more familiar with certain recurring elements to these Jianghu-based stories so I'm less and less confused about the various factions and sects. Makes it a bit easier to keep up with things as this story does deal with things like the formation of the Murim Alliance and the war with the demonic cult.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fun fact Fist Demon is connected to two other wuxia webnovels turned webtoons.

Martial Artist Lee Gwak (webtoon cancelled after 100th chapter) takes place after the events of Fist Demon (like a century or so?), and the MC is even mentioned.

Then Reaper of the Drifting Moon (currently on hiatus after the season ended) takes places sometime after Martial Artist Lee Gwak.

Also, Chronicles of the Northern Blade, which is my favorite wuxia-based webnovel-based webtoon, is also by the same author. It's not in the same universe, though.

That would be the 2nd wuxia series I'm aware of where the author has multiple stories focusing on different characters across their setting. The other being the writer for Peerless Dad who also wrote Sunyuu the Shadowless, Administrator Kang Jin Lee, Red Storm, and a few others that I don't think have received adaptations. But for his works, because they all take place around the same time there's more overlap in major events, and characters from one story will show up in another for a few of the comic chapters. Red Storm being the exception because it takes place in it's own alternate universe and the only character from the main universe is a side character.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Started reading Legend of the Northern Blade and you all weren't joking; this is great. I currently just got to the point where Warrior So has finally returned to the plot. I was waiting for him to show back up since he is Jin's first subordinate and I'm stoked to see him dual wielding weapons. The conflict between the heavenly alliance and the Silent Night is shaping up to be a pretty grey affair. I can't agree with the methods of people like Danyeop, turning civilians into mindless berserkers just for a glorified suicide by martial artist gambit is not justifiable. I do however see where the story is going with this idea of justice. Jin is strong enough to be able to back his own beliefs to a degree, but I imagine Danyeop despite being this great master of sound attacks understood that he himself was not able to effect the change he wanted and his only recourse was to rouse his sect so the world could change. I think this is going to stress the importance that Jin needs more than just himself, he'll need a legitimate faction of his own to solidify whatever changes he'll want in the world as well. Given the hints, I think Warrior So has more than made the best of his decade off-panel and begun the new northern heavenly sect from within the Heavenly alliance.

This series also ticks a lot of boxes when it comes to Wuxia and I'm loving it. The main character also isn't the default strongest character around even after all the training he underwent so there's a balance to the incoming conflict. And like mentioned, the cast is fantastic. A lot of likeable characters in this one. I hope we get to see more of the Tang clan going into the future because this is the most fun interpretation of the infamous poison/hidden weapon masters I've seen yet.

Best Uncle.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Chapters 91 and 92 of Northern Blade were so good.

Captain So coming in with the clutch save. :woop: I already suspect that at least one of his members are these twin-demon double agents. But it was great to see him and Jin finally meeting again and the fruits of So's many years behind the scenes. Feels great that he's finally becoming part of the greater picture in Jin's rise to power.

That Works posted:

I love the Tang clan duo just running around on the side doing detective work and poo poo for Jin and the others.
Uncle Tang getting a disciple warmed my heart. He's a good kid. I also enjoyed seeing the tang family head flex a bit, but also his apology. We'll definitely see more sects/families that didn't approve of how the nine clouds handle things and they too will bolster Jin's cause.

Edit: I feel bad for Miryeo. She never stood a chance when it came to Jin's affection. Also goddam Captain So challenging another dude to beat his world record for withstanding torture was cold as hell.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 13, 2023

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Just about caught up with Northern Blade's official Translations. The entire finale to season 1 was very well handled.
I'm still a bit miffed that the son of the Fist Pillar turned out to be a complete psychopath but I can't deny the author is getting his mileage out of that character. It is a bit lame that he tries a "we're not so different" speech and it works though. Sure, both him and the main character have killed a lot of people but he literally uses a technique that required him to murder innocent women and bathe in their blood and he also leads a small cabal of child soldiers. Not really a morally ambiguous scenario here.

I am not disappointed by Dam's character though. He's truly a righteous figure and now that he's going full Asura's Wrath with his moveset I'm even more excited to see him and Jin team up again against the remaining 9 skies and this immortal rear end in a top hat running the world. That moment when Dam was fighting Eun and delivered a german suplex :discourse: Whenever I see an opponent get caught in that kind of hand grip, I know what will follow is going to be epic.

As for the rest of the season 2 content. A lot of the characters growing goatees and mustaches tickled me pink. Leader So continues to be among my favorite character out of a really good cast purely because of his sheer loyalty to Jin and how he keeps mopping up threats and showing up for the perfect moments. He and his crew continue to get results and I think enough time has passed to make my concerns of a traitor all but disappear. Jin realizing he was in fact being really dumb about some things and learning is good character development. Bringing Eun right to the Tang branch estate was incredibly dumb, especially when Leader So could have handled keeping her safe somewhere else until Uncle Tang could be taken too her. But I also still haven't made up my mind how I feel about Eun as a character. I don't need a romance to be honest her character has so little presence in the grand scale of things but she's already endgame material. Also her presence screwed my girl Miryeo out of marrying Jin and I'll never forgive that slight. I just hope now that Eun is mostly better the story can integrate her into more meaningfully into the plot.

Finally the spearman from the original Northern Heavenly Sect being a background support character in season 1 was well woven into the story. I figured the person that saved the quadruple amputee library dude was one of the 9 skies that regretted their actions. But the reveal that it was the spearman, and his subordinates were the ones protecting Uncle Hwang during his journeys through the north were both nice reveals. I like that there were far more loyal soldiers to Jin's father and that the father himself did more to protect his son than take his own life.

Lastly, the duel between the Axeman of the Silent Night and the 9 Sky immediately jived with me when both men got disarmed, and decided to just straight up punch the poo poo out of each other. That's the kind of manliness I can get behind so shame on Jin for interrupting their battle. Overall, I can see where the Silent Night are coming from, but I can't agree with their methods despite their own tragedy.

The fight choreography really does deliver and the artist uses some downright cinematic paneling at times to really convey the skill of opponents and the flow of battle. Thanks again for the recommendation, it's just a shame the series is on hiatus now.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

You're in luck, the (Korean) webtoon comes back next Wednesday.

Hell yeah.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Guyver posted:

I forgot the name but there's that one where a noble lady has to marry a duke who's a werewolf. Instead of getting eaten like people expected she tames him. I lost track of it and plan to get back to it but I remember it being fun.
I'm thinking The Lady and the Beast is what you are looking for. There is an official TL via tappytoon

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Latest chapter of Legend of the Northern Blade did not end how I thought it would.
I don't like Hye-Ryeong but at the same time, she absolutely didn't deserve to die like this. Much less not even being the target for the Black Wing's last attack, she was just in the way. Dam doesn't deserve this kind of suffering either.

That being said, putting the fear of death into your opponent with your own weapon sticking out your chest and trying to get one last attack in was one hell of a way to exit the story. It's a shame the spearman had to die because he seemed the most fun of the Silent Night's generals.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

That Works posted:

That was really sad. Wondering if this will turn Dam into some revenge obsessed guy that goes off the rails now to eventually pit him against the Northern sect .

If/when Dam finds out that Jin is the one who leaked the timeframe for the frontal attack as well as the ambush he's going to be pissed for sure. Not saying that things would have been better or worse, but it will be easy to blame Jin for old girl's death because the Silent Night knew they were coming and weren't caught completely off guard.

By that same token, I'm interested how Dam is going to feel about the Moyong clan. I think he's aware that the 9 skies are being controlled by the Immortal Moyong. And his fiance died because the black spear wanted to kill the eldest Moyong daughter in his final moment. Dam could go either way, initially raging against the moyong's but switching targets to the Northern Sect. Or vice versa. I just want him and Jin to team up but this is going to hinge on how much grief and anger will control Dam's thoughts.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Forgot to post this but the Black Spear's response to nearly being decapitated is by far one of the coolest things in that fight

Bruce Lee and Pai Mei would be proud.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Latest chapter of 'Legend of the Northern Blade' has got to showcase one of the most powerful techniques to date

The art of the concerned father-figure. But it's good that blood guy is finally dead and gone although I don't 100% fault Jin nor the shaman's spirit for wanting to decimate the head. Martial arts and blood magic can sometimes make decapitation more of an inconvenience than a killing blow.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This manwha started this year and I think it's got a decent start, I'm very interested to see where things develop.
Human Mask

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Re-reading the last chunk of 'The Legend of the Northern Blade' and man is this moment still great as well. In a series where a lot of people enter the fray in cool fashion, this one is in the top 3.

We learned Moyong was immortal fairly early and the Night leader using the Demon of Song's disciple as a new body was also signposted as well. That the two are brothers came as no huge shock all things considered but it's still a huge reveal.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Elite posted:

Isekai is really just a subgenre of fantasy, but we say Isekai because that's shorthand for a clustering of tropes and trappings. I sort of think the gates/dungeons thing is widespread enough to be considered its own subsubgenre because there's probably thousands of those stories.

I think Portal Fantasy or Intrusion fantasy would be applicable depending on the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
If I had to fit them, SSS Class Revival Hunter could probably be put in the Portal fantasy subgenre. Entering the tower and subsequently climbing to different floors or entering key books all act as means of transferal to other realms. I haven't read the Villainous Princess one but the description would depend on how you want to define dying and having a god send you somewhere else. But that is usually just the Tensei sub-genre of Isekai which deals with reincarnation.

What I found interesting is that Villainess Princess uses the term constellation which also appears in Revival Hunter, referring in that story to beings which are essentially the cornerstone of their realities and whose death usually throws their whole reality into disorder. Seems to have a similar implication for VP, interested how far back that trope dates.