Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

By the way, it seems like unOrdinary is actually written by a native English speaker. Webtoons carries a number of Western comics in addition to the translated Korean stuff. unOrdinary is pretty rough around the edges, but it still managed to entertain me and make me curious about where the plot is going, so the artist managed to do something right. The recent arc doesn't make much sense, though; before becoming friends with Sera the main character was apparently also bullied constantly and stayed chill about it, but for some reason 1 week of bullying + having his phone broken while Sera was suspended made him lose his poo poo and go grimdark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

khy posted:

I got caught up on SID so now I'm starting on God of High School. It's fun so far but I suspect the MC's carelessness will get annoying quickly, I hope I'm wrong though.

I can guarantee you that God of High School will go in directions that surprise you. It starts off with a pretty typical premise, but hahahahaha.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So overall how good is Kubera? Is the story and setting interesting? Does it have good fight scenes (this isn't that important, I'm just curious)? The art seems kinda shaky, but I can tolerate that if the story is interesting.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I purposely haven't read GoHS in over a year (or maybe 2 years) because I want to be able to read a bunch in one stretch.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm catching up and am at 271 now. This comic owns pretty hard. I really like how they let the clone take the leading role int he big climactic fight during this arc. In general the whole subplot with Mori Hui has been pretty unique and un-cliche. I actually like him more than Jin, since he comes off as more down to Earth and doesn't have the whole "wacky monkey boy" thing going on. Not that I really dislike Jin or anything, but Hui is just a more interesting character. I'm also wondering if Daewi is actually perma-dead. It's been a while since he died and there haven't been any signs of him being revived.

One other good thing about GoHS is that it has a really distinct art style. Most Korean web comics have kinda shaky art or art that is pretty much just a clone of fairly generic manga-style art, but GoHS is done very well and also has some pretty well done fight scenes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, God of High School owns. I have absolutely no problem with this series continuing to escalate into ridiculous battles with literal Gods.

edit: Haha holy poo poo, Daewi gained the King's powers.

Hahahah, the artist comment at the end of 283 where he says "Jupiter is a gas giant you say? I'm a humanities major!"

No, Mori Hui :(. I had a feeling he was going to die, but it's still sad because he was a really good guy and interesting character.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 9, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gologle posted:

Just when I thought it was over, GoHS once again pulls the story in a completely new direction. I was actually loving livid after this latest chapter, but I love one of the comments: "I aim for this level of pettiness actually." It's so loving petty, and it's both great and makes me mad at the same time.

It's been foreshadowed, too. Multiple characters have commented on how Mujin isn't a very good person.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kubera is pretty interesting so far. I like that it has the same sort of "unique, non-stereotypical fantasy setting" as Tower of God, so that you end up wanting to learn more about the world/setting.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Coffee Mugshot posted:

This was incredible. I was so quick to dismiss that character because of who he was trying to replace, but he's honestly one of my favorite. I really like reading GoHS, it's so good.

In general GoHS does a lot of stuff you wouldn't normally expect from a shounen story. Sometimes it doesn't work so well, but a lot of times it pays off. Something like "cloning the main character and having his clone who has a different personality take his place for like 200 chapters" isn't really something that most shounen series would be willing to do.

Speaking of the clones, from what I understand they don't have any sort of independent consciousness unless they're separated from Mori Jin by a long distance, right? Or at least I hope that's the case, because you'd think that the whole Mori Hui situation would make Jin rethink using his clones otherwise.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I really wish he had been able to stay around somehow, though I guess it was pretty much impossible since he would effectively "die" once Mori Jin returned. He should have just survived and moved to the US so he'd be far enough away from Mori Jin to retain his individuality.

As much as I like Mori Jin, he's still more or less a standard shounen-type protagonist, which is why Hui was so interesting.

edit: By the way, why did the King called Hui Imoogi? I can't remember where that nickname came from.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kubera is really good so far (episode 46). I like how it's a fantasy story with a female protagonist but doesn't fall into the trap a lot of similar titles do where the romance elements overshadow or guide the rest of the plot (the only other story I can think of that also pulls this off is 12 Kingdoms). The setting is really interesting and seems well thought out; I feel curious about the setting's details and characters in a similar way to Tower of God.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You know, you'd think that Daewi could just defeat Mubong, since it's already been established that Daewi >= a single god > Mubong.

Didn't Zeus make a fool out of Mubong, or was that someone else? And then Daewi disintegrated him?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sindai posted:

I think Daewi lost the full king's power when R gave it to Mira instead? I'm still really unclear on what happened there.

And/or Mubong is stronger now that he's no longer constantly saving it up.

Daewi got the wisdom of the King and Mira got his strength, IIRC. Or rather R got his strength (and not his wisdom because the King chose to pass that on to Daewi beforehand) and then gave it to Mira.

As a side note, Kubera continues to be super good. It's definitely Tower of God quality in my opinion (assuming the quality stays consistent), and probably isn't quite as popular (though it's still pretty popular) due to having a female protagonist and male love interests. I like how there are many different "focus" characters with their own backgrounds and motivations.

Speaking of Kubera having a female protagonist, I think it might be the first manga/manhwa I've read with a female protagonist (and romance elements obviously aimed at straight female readers) where the protagonist is totally stacked. Usually shoujo protagonists and what have you have more waifish builds.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 22, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gologle posted:

I dig the more or less clearly explained magic system in Kubera.

In general the setting seems really well thought out and unique for a fantasy setting. I also like it when a story starts out after a bunch of important plot-relevant stuff has already occurred and you gradually learn more about what's actually going on over time. Both Tower of God and Kubera are good examples of this.

While it's not necessarily something everyone would like, I imagine that most people who would enjoy something like ToG would also like it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I finally finished Season 1, and the stuff with Yuta's pseudo-mother was actually pretty disturbing and sad. I'm not sure how I feel about Yuta almost certainly being Kubera's main love interest. I guess there aren't really many other options, and at least he's a pretty unusual choice.

As a side note, I like how the Nastika are these planet (if not larger) sized monstrosities when in their Sura form and not in the human realm. The series does a good job of showing just how immensely out of their league humans are compared with the other dominant forces, with it being difficult for even multiple top of the line humans to take on a single mediocre Rakshasa. Kinda reminds me of the difference between Regulars and High Rankers in Tower of God except turned up several notches.

I'm wondering what it is that will make Kubera regret having chosen to live. The only thing that I can think of is her existence causing the deaths of many people close to her, because she's already lost all her family and friends (for all she knows anyways) and that wasn't enough to make her become all suicidal, so I imagine it has to be something really bad.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think what I like most is that the story has a very un-cliche feel to it, for lack of a better description. I feel like I'm reading a story unlike most other stories I've read before. I also like the strong focus on character drama rather than battles or a conflict with an explicitly evil enemy.

edit: There's one thing I'm a little confused about. Are planets in the Kubera universe just sorta floating around and in relative proximity to one another, or do they orbit stars and what have you like in our own universe? I get the impression that the planet they're on (Willrarv) is significantly smaller than Earth. There's also a picture of Gandharva behind a planet at one point and the planet has a visibly uneven surface which seems to indicate it's smaller than our own planet.

edit2: Oh wait this next chapter mentioned Gandharva swallowing a red giant star. I'm wondering if maybe the author doesn't quite understand the size difference between planets, stars, and galaxies.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 27, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Teo is cute and Gandharva needs to hook up with her. Is Gandharva's spouse (or whoever is Shakuntala's mother) still alive? I feel like it was mentioned but I can't remember.

edit: As a side note, I notice the art has gradually gotten better. It's still nothing particularly exceptional, but it isn't quite as awkward as it was at the beginning of the series.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 27, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So from what I understand Mara Suras aren't really intelligent and are sorta like regular animals, right? But I think I remember it saying the next step up, Upanis, can take human-ish form after their third stage.

So doesn't that make it kinda hosed up that Yuta ate those 5th stage Upanis alive outside of Kalibloom? I get that Sura have their own morals (which basically say it's fine to hunt/eat non-allied Sura) but I can't imagine Kubera being okay with that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mindblast posted:

Regarding how the comic is tagged: I am pretty sure the author herself said that the story is a tragedy.

Um excuse me, the comic is a fantasy romance. :colbert:

One thing I like is how, when Yuta/Leez encounter Maruna and Yuta reveals that he's a half-Garuda Sura, Leez is more or less totally okay with it. I always thought it would have been kind of against Leez's character to suddenly turn on Yuta just for being a Sura himself (though him being the half-brother of Maruna might definitely add some stress.

Also, it kinda supports the idea that Asha has been sheltering her too much and that she is actually mature enough to deal with a lot of this stuff.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 28, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You know, the Kubera author needs to hire and work with a more skilled artist to draw what all the Sura forms of these other Nastika look like, because Gandharva's Sura form looks totally rad. Like, Sagara is supposed to be a weak Nastika but I bet she's still some planet sized monstrosity. In particular I'm curious what the Kinnara and Yaksha Nastika look like, because it's easy to imagine a bizarre sea beast or snake floating out in space, but not so easy to imagine a mammal-ish beast doing the same.

edit: I've gotten the general impression that the war between the Gods and Sura generally consists of all the Gods working together just to take down a single Nastika. There was some line that mentioned something about all the Gods congratulating themselves when they managed to take down a single Nastika, which seems to imply that they've only managed to gradually kill Nastikas through a war of attrition (since the Gods can always come back and try again).

edit2: I'm not sure how I feel about horny yandere teen Yuta. I like how his dreams for the future seem to involve him and Leez being king and queen of a bunch of chaos abominations.

Though honestly even Leez has her weird aspects. She seems entirely capable of instantly flipping between nice/laid-back to murderous anger.

edit3: Holy poo poo Yuta just french kissed Leez to death! Not cool bro. It's kind of a neat inversion of the more predictable "monster manages to become normal/good through the power of love" plot, where it turns out that nope, he actually can't control his instincts.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 29, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In general Kubera seems to just be getting better and better. It's interesting how the tone has shifted, but how everything has also been foreshadowed since the beginning. It's one of the most well thought out fantasy stories I've read.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it would probably be much, much better if it was a proper manwha and not a webtoon. the pacing is so incredibly slow due to the format.

Yeah, I feel like a big part of why I'm able to enjoy the current content so much is that I was able to binge through it. Relatively little has happened if you consider the amount of time the comic has existed.

edit: Jesus, apparently Asha practiced magic on halfs (which I guess means killing them and then using hoti visnu to revive them. I feel like that's sort of entering "hosed up even if it's to save the universe" territory.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 1, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, the relationship between Kubera and Asha is really hosed up. Kubera seems to have a sort of Stockholm syndrome going on, where she puts up with a bunch of terrible poo poo and does insane things like jumping off cliffs to learn Bhavati Kubera all out of not wanting to lose Asha plus some sense of obligation from Asha saving her life. Then there's the fact that Asha is purposely encouraging this throuhg stuff like hiding the existence of that Kaz guy from her village.

I think that Mirha was correct to want to hide the information for longer. After Asha's (planned, anyways) execution, Leez would have had a chance to get closer to other people, which would give her some support and soften the blow of finding out the truth about Asha. But right now (through Asha's designs) she isn't close to anyone else, which makes this hit her a lot harder.

edit: So Leez just reunited with Yuta. I kind of hope Yuta never really overcomes his impulses, because it would be kind of unrealistic if he did (unless there's some specific reason the impulse goes away). He already seems to desperately want to resist the urges, but it just sort of happens regardless of how much he fights it. It seems like "devouring Leez's face" is sort of like the equivalent of "getting a boner" for Yuta; it just happens even if he doesn't want it to.

This whole situation is pretty much a tragedy. There are people who want to be close to Leez (like Ran, Mirha, and probably Kaz if she reunited with him) but she seems to be purposely not seeking them out because she feels she doesn't deserve true happiness due to her causing the destruction of her village. So she seeks out Yuta, who can cure her loneliness while simultaneously bringing a bunch of pain and potentially death.

It's kind of funny seeing all the comments fan-girling over their relationship, when it's clearly a very unhealthy relationship and not a good thing.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 2, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just noticed that the Season 3 Prologue was uploaded yesterday! Looks like I found a good time to read this series, since it's apparently starting up again now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I just read Asha's backstory chapters. It seems like she's unequivocally a really bad person. I was expecting some sob story excusing her actions, but it turns out she literally did it all out of pursuit of power. The comic/Vishnu even go out of their way to mention that 1. if her motive was revenge, there are other ways to do that (like enlisting the aid of other magicians or letting Leez take the "main role") and 2. other people given the same choice took the higher road of not literally butching a bunch of random innocent people. Heck, even before her mom was killed and village was destroyed she was a really nasty person who treated other people poorly without them wronging her in any way. It seems like she was born with a sense of entitlement due to her high IQ and looked down on everyone else from the very beginning.

The weirdest thing is that some comments were talking about how they thought she was justified and blamed everyone else for not being as mature and intelligent as her. Some of these comments were accompanied by anecdotes about how the poster is so smart and all the kids in their class are jealous of them, lol.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 2, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was actually kind of surprised by Asha's motivation/backstory, since I was fully expecting her to have selflessly taken on the unenviable task of doing a bunch of evil actions in order to save the universe or something. When she was mean, I thought it was because she had been forcing herself to be hard-hearted to deal with the burden of having to murder all the Kuberas. But nope - it turns out she's really just a bad person. While I don't think she enjoys murdering people, she values her own personal success/power over them. It was very....un-cliche for lack of a better description. Normally I would have expected her to be an Itachi-esque character.

I'm still not writing off the possibility that her actions might save the universe or whatever (since there's obviously some reason Yuta has been helping her and sided with her*), but at the very least her backstory makes it clear that it wasn't her motivation from the beginning and that she was willing to do a bunch of terrible things for the primary reason of wanting to attain power.

Speaking of Asha's goals, my current prediction is that someone needs to take Ananta's name/power in order to prevent it from running wild and destroying the universe. Asha wants it to be her, but her reasons are more "because I want to be the most powerful" rather than wanting to save the universe, and she is willing to actively prevent others accomplishing the same goal, even if they might be better suited to it than her (like Leez, who was more or less explicitly stated to be the best option if she was allowed to grow up with her father). It seems like Vishnu is backing Asha in this regard, while God Kubera may be backing Leez.

*If I had to guess, I think that Yuta is helping her because he believes her future knowledge from Vishnu (and her success up until that point) gives her the highest chance of succeeding at the task she's undertaken. I think that's why her losing her poo poo after being smacked by Lorraine's car made Yuta begin to lose faith that she was really that most reliable option.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It seems pretty clear for most of the comic that the author thinks Leez is fundamentally a good person and that her ability to always maintain a sunny disposition despite her experiences is representative of her emotional strength. I don't remember her appearance being ugly coming up that frequently, and it's quickly established that she's actually one of the strongest humans on the planet (who just happens to be overshadowed because she's traveling with a couple of the strongest magicians and a high rank sura).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

khy posted:

The more I read webtoons the more I enjoy the layout. I disliked it a lot at first but it's grown on me, mainly because I just navigate each update with page up/page down or the scroll wheel. Far, far less clicking than other webcomics.

It might also be because they're free and easily available, but I've been enjoying them much more than Manga as well.

Overall there are waaaay more high quality manga than there are high quality Korean webtoons*, though this shouldn't be that surprising given how much larger and older the manga industry is in Japan compared with Korean webtoons. If you find yourself thinking webtoons are generally better than manga, it means you probably need to seek out different/better manga. That being said, I agree that the webtoon format is cool and very well suited to being read on their intended device (smart phones). I wouldn't say either format is better or worse; they're just different.

Speaking of webtoons, 4 Cut Hero (that I think I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread) is a lot of fun and has some very well-done action scenes. It has a certain degree of Dumb Anime poo poo (though a lot of it is tongue in cheek), but I think the good offsets the bad. The first few chapters aren't that great, but once the plot starts up it gets pretty enjoyable.

*The number of translated Korean webtoons I've encountered that are good at a level beyond just being "entertaining" could probably be counted on two hands, while there are countless great manga. The one genre that I find Korean webtoons to be generally better at, though, is romantic dramas. For whatever reason they tend to be more interesting on average than Japanese romantic dramas, though there are obviously exceptions.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

khy posted:

Oh, I didn't mean it like that. I meant that I've been enjoying webtoons more than Manga, not that they're higher quality.

The reasons I've enjoyed Webtoons more is because 1) A very large amount of Manga generally relies on 3rd party websites loaded with ads and often load inconsistently, 2) Those same websites are constantly being threatened with takedown notices so that a series can disappear at any moment, 3) translation quality can be all over the place and frequently causes delayed releases as groups pick up or drop series.

Meanwhile Webtoons is ad-free and subscription-free, has no delays I'm aware of (Barring, of course, author/artist health concerns which would affect worldwide releases and not just localized ones), loads fast as hell and without issue for me, and I never have to worry about content being posted or hosted illegally and thus suddenly disappearing while I'm mid-binge. I've gotten quite used to the interface and don't mind the long style as opposed to 'pages' in the slightest, though I definitely see how others might feel this spreads things out too much or encourages wasted space between panels.

I know there's some legal and legit manga sites out there but the ones I've tried either have a subscription cost (IE: Crunchyroll), have a very limited selection that lacks mangas I'm interested in, are horrendously bloated with ads and slow servers, etc.

Ah, I definitely agree. It's nice to be able to read them legally for free (though it's only partially free in the case of Lezhin).

There are some webtoons that even do stuff like integrate music and sound that is timed with how far you've scrolled down. It's neat to see how they've tried to tailor comics specifically to the medium of smart phones. From what I can tell webtoons aren't as common in Japan, though they still exist (Re:Life for example).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sindai posted:

that's where I stopped too, but more because I was exasperated at that twist than anything else.

The exact same thing happens again later (where he finds his wife and then she's separated from him again). Though at least he gets his daughter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hate-Senpai posted:

I assume you're not up to date?

Nope, still catching up. His wife was just grabbed and taken away by a giant uber-wasp and she's maybe also a queen or something?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hate-Senpai posted:

The daughter gets kidnapped yet again.

That said, I firmly believe the webtoon has entered its final arc, and that it should probably be over in the next 3 or 4 months unless it goes beyond the protagonist being reunited with his family, cause who knows what the old man might do.

The old man is definitely up to no good, IMO. Lots of people in the comments section in denial about this though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shugojin posted:

I've been kind of reading UnOrdinary. I liked it at first but I have this weird feeling it'll go downhill when the main character finally shows that he really does have powers after all.

My feeling about unOrdinary is that it's nothing special, but that it's still pretty impressive for something written by an amateur simply by virtue of the fact that it manages to keep my interest.

It is written by an English speaker (probably American) by the way, in case you didn't know. Quite a few things on webtoons are written by Americans, which I think is a kind of good business idea on the part of Naver (that is, also trying to adopt and include material produced outside of Korea).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Unordinary's world is like some bizarre version of the My Hero Academia world where everyone is not only allowed, but encouraged to constantly fight using their quirks and dominate those weaker than them.

It is a wonder their society functions at all.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

khy posted:

I'll say. John fighting back was not unexpected.

The level of viciousness displayed between the wind blades, the impalement, and letting some girl fall to her possible death? WAY more than I anticipated. I almost wonder if his power is more intricate than mere copying, and there's more going on like some level of illusion or something that lets him attack and defend without worrying about accidentally killing someone?

If I had to guess, I'd say that his ability is just copying stuff, but stronger. There seemed to be some emphasis on the fact that he was using the same abilities, but stronger/better than their original holders. It's the only thing that would really explain how he was able to defeat a whole class of people or whatever (since if it was just regular copying it wouldn't make much sense for him to be better than a crowd of people with the same abilities).

I gotta say I'm a little confused by John's characterization. Like, the extent to which he flips from "totally passive, nothing ruffles him" to completely losing his poo poo isn't really normal. I feel like something interesting could be done with this (if he was actually portrayed as having some sort of serious flaws/issues, rather than this just being a "the nice guy was pushed too far" situation), but I'm not sure if I trust the author to successfully take that angle.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shugojin posted:

I think it's also not so much that he can copy abilities and make them stronger so much as he can combine the abilities he copies, which makes him possibly stronger against groups.

Ah, that makes sense. I didn't make the connection that the wind blade was probably some hybrid of the claws and the wind powers.

khy posted:

Another thing. In Episode 35 they do a wellston Top 10 power ranking; Seraphina's listed at the top, and ??? is second. Arlo is #3. [spoiler]Since Arlo is 'king' and Seraphina is 'Queen' (When she isn't passing the buck to Remi), they're likely the two strongest known-about students. That makes it seem likely that John is #2 and Seraphina's power is still stronger than his.

If his power actually is to copy and combine powers, it seems like he would inherently be stronger than her as long as anyone else was around at the same time (since he would have her time bullshit plus the other power.

By the way, what is up with that newspaper guy's "hunting" power? We've seen it lets him track things, but it also...lets him stop a giant truck with his bare hands? And if he's that strong, why was Arlo able to hold him up with one arm despite having a power unrelated to being physically strong?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sarcophallus posted:

Just started (and caught up on) reading unOrdinary and it's pretty good! It feels similar to Noblesse in tone but takes itself more seriously.

I get the impression that John is being setup as the villain(?) of the series, with Sera being the vigilante-hero. I don't imagine the two of them meeting up again as friends, in any case. Sera feels like John taught her a life/moral lesson, and she's going to find out he was a liar and hypocrite. I wanna know more about John's dad and the repercussions to this forbidden book he's published. Seems like he's still walking free, which is a bit better than you'd expect from a near-dystopian authoritarian society.

That would be an interesting direction for the series to go, and I'm not sure why the possibility didn't occur to me. Speaking of interesting, the idea of the focus on hierarchy being a way to orient the attention of "high tiers" downwards and keep them in line in order to protect the status quo (since a lot of folks like Sera are so strong they could cause a lot of problems single-handed) is pretty interesting and would explain a lot of my earlier problems with the bizarre "yeah beat up anyone you want whenever you want!" system. It also seems to be heavily implied that the "beat up anyone you want" stuff is just something people are allowed to do as minors in order to solidify the idea of hierarchy in their minds.

I feel like unOrdinary would work much better if the author were just the writer and had someone else doing the drawing/formatting for them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So Arlo takes damage from his barriers being damaged/cracked?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

khy posted:

If people like cheesy feel-good romance stuff check out Super Secret.

Plot summary : Emma is a ditzy college student. Ryan is her closest friend from next door, who cares for her almost like a mother. What Emma doesn't know, however, is that Ryan is actually a werewolf, Ryan's entire family is supernatural in some form or another, and Emma's parents basically gave her to Ryan's family as his 'property' ages past for accidentally kidnapping Ryan.

It's cheesy and stupid but also pretty fun.

Sounds like some sort of reverse version of Tokimeki Tonight (where the protagonist is a girl who is a member of a supernatural vampire/werewolf family instead of the love interest, who is human).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

khy posted:

And even then it keeps trying to keep M21, Tao, and Takeo relevant despite the fact that no matter how much they power up they still get their asses kicked by mooks and can't face any of the big bads.

To be fair, M21 is at least effectively a werewolf and werewolves have the potential to be as strong as Noble clan leaders, so he could plausibly keep up with some of the big players.

Tao and Takeo though...they don't really have much of an excuse other than "uh, Frankenstein did some totally dangerous experiments or something" for staying relevant.

edit: The most disappointing thing is how the "Sera (or whoever the white-haired scyth-wielding clan leader is) has a crush on red-haired human guy" subplot seems to have disappeared. That was kind of cute/funny.