Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hyper, you need friggin' PMs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The use of Hawking is one of my favorite little things you've sprinkled into the story.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd kill for a "Stephen Hawking is a Bastard" t-shirt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

All of them show up in trades eventually. This year's will be in Vol 7's collection at the end of the year. We'll post the story online in a week or two.

I wanted to PM you last week to commend you on yet another amazing Dr Dinosaur story.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

Thanks!

Speaking of which, it's now available via ComiXology FOR FREE.

The newest trade came out today too. Grab it! Never read Robo before? Start with this one! Thank me later!

I've been open for 3 hours and I'm sold out of Volume 6 and Diamond didn't short us this time!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

As of yesterday! Hope she enjoys it.

It's a good policy. We're always hearing from retailers who push an issue on their regulars and turn them into a loyal Robo reader.

I usually chase people down who leave without it, beat them over the head with it and then cram it into their mouth.

No idea why we don't sell more copies of the monthly issues.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

Close. Dr. Dinosaur will be the primary villain of Volume 8: Atomic Robo and the Savage Sword of Dr. Dinosaur.

Okay, now you're just pandering to exactly what I want to read.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

I worry about the reception to Vol 8. One camp will think he doesn't get enough screen time, and another will think any panel he's in is overdoing it.

The truth is they're both wrong and he's in it exactly as much as he needs to be for the story to work. But y'know how people are. With their drat opinions.

Bah! :doom:

Just tell them THE INTERNET strong armed you into it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

There are two multi-part stories that each come to 24 pages. Those will be arranged as if they are full single issues. Everything else will appear, I dunno, probably more or less as originally published.

It's either that or in chronological order.

Thanks! It's hard to pin down the tone of the series. For me, anyway. Most folks refer to it as a comedy, but outside of Dr. Dinosaur I don't see it. We just aren't afraid to let our characters point out what the audience is probably already thinking: this poo poo is weird.

I dunno man, Robo deadpans a lot and it's often hilarious. And he does hilarious poo poo all the time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ShadowCatboy posted:

I love Atomic Robo. Setting up Thomas Edison as Tesla's archenemy was a stroke of brilliance.

And yes, Doctor Dinosaur has been used so drat well.

"Trickery! Mammal trickery!"
:psylon: "I'm a robot!"
"MAMMAL ROBOT!"
:psylon: "That doesn't even make sense!!!"

EDIT: Also CRYSTALS.

There is a Proactive commercial that ran last year that heavily featured that word. And every time they said it I could not help but yell out "CRYSTALS!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've got that badass Dr Dino on my bookshelf but I'd kill for a Robo action figure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I said ACTION figure!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Len posted:

Only slightly Robo related but will there ever be another Marvel series in the style of Infinity Gauntlet or do fun books not sell well enough for them to bother?

Sadly Marvel hates fun these days.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is all the doing of Stephen Hawking.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedIcon posted:

Well, he said he's done work for Red 5 in the past and that they tapped him to do pencils for (something related to?) Atomic Robo. Actually I mostly posted about it here because Google isn't turning up a damned thing for this guy and it's kind of an obscure thing to lie about, so if he's not telling the truth then the alternative is either that he's a crazy person or a time traveler.

He probably thinks it's obscure enough that he can lie about it. I mean, you are aware of who Hyperactive is right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The cover to the new Real Science Adv is amazing, I really wish you guys would do some prints or posters.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You couldn't spring for the 1st printing?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gogisha posted:

Hey I had no idea it was a second printing and I didn't feel like checking out every comic seller at the con, I clearly hadn't thought that far ahead.

I'm just yanking ya.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You've ruined that word forever by the way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wildlele posted:

Any word on Vol. 2 getting reprinted?

It's in stock at Diamond. Amazon has it for $15.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

It's super easy to go overboard and become gimmicky. Hopefully we didn't.

If the gimmick is a Dinosaur talking about crystals it will never get old.

Seriously.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

Volume 8 tests the hell outta the bounds of that hypothesis.

I am so excited I think I might pee my pants!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Don't listen to Hyperactive. Tesla was a WIZARD and as soon as we discover the lost art of MYSTICISM we shall unlock his secrets.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo that's the best Kickstarter ever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just want OSHCs man!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hyperactive where the heck are the Robo oversized hardcovers already!?!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

We are definitely doing them in 2015. Stay tuned.

Oh awesome!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

It's old-ish news but not terribly big, so it was easy to miss. We did a little interview about it a couple weeks back and the response from Phantom fans is the most concentrated grognardiness I've been exposed to in my career.

I understand their apprehension, but it's pretty funny to be looked at suspiciously as a guy who cannot deliver fun pulp adventures.

Meanwhile there seems to be some controversy over whether or not we can print these comics. I have NO INSIGHT into this matter. All I know is: I'm writing scripts, staying on deadline, and they're paying me. Might just be a bunch of corporate bluster.

This has yet to stop Dynamite from printing a book. They didn't have the Tarzan rights so they called the book Lord of the Jungle. They'll just make a last minute change to the title and press on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think Dynamite themselves are publishing two different Phantom books.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He does control the eb and flow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

He even labelled them!

Well he wouldn't want to get confused now would he?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm okay waiting on OS stuff. What about additional merch? Anything concrete in the works yet?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

There's this stuff for now. We're gonna be 100% focused on getting these new hardcover editions made for a while, but there's more merch in the pipe for 2016.

I have most of that stuff, and the mini Dr Dinosaur statue from a while back. I really just need me some hot hot Robo action figures.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

And it'll be done tastefully.

DEALBREAKER.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Will the foil be composed of refined CRYSTALS?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That is awesome, IDW puts out some of the best collected editions on the market.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just go to Target and scribble CRYSTALS on all the Jurassic World toys.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

We're going as fast as we can!

Not fast enough! From now on you only get one bathroom break a day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

My coffee and beer intake is gonna make this an ugly policy.

Better keep the coffee can under your desk then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
OMG NEW PHYSICAL ISSUE TOMORROW.

Also that awesome new collection.

• Locked thread