Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Kunzelman posted:

Can anyone point to any good tutorials on how to make animation smooth/good/etc. The diagram of running animations was awesome--is there anything like that for, well, every other motion?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Animators-Survival-Expanded-Edition/dp/0571238343/ref=cm_lmf_tit_2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

.TakaM posted:

Alright how's this look? Did some extra work on the bark too
This is a nice little enemy, only thing that could use some work are the wings- they look a bit too floppy, I think the spots need to move a bit more.

It looks very flat, to be honest. I think this is maybe a good first pass, but you could push the shapes of the leaf bunches much more and make them feel much more voluminous if you had a 2nd go at it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Supernorn posted:

Some Art/Animation stuff for a pirate game i'm working on at Chucklefish.

Is this that spec work gig they posted about? You're getting paid, right?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Thanks! I'm not sure if the following could be considered finished, at least by me:

Unsure of what i should do with them; are they serviceable?

The poses are all pretty stiff, awkward, or goofy. None of them come across as really very active, powerful, or interesting. You need to be shooting video reference of yourself going through the sequences and using that to inform your animation. That would go a long way towards giving them some life and interest.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

systran posted:

Yeah good point, it would be the opposite then, either way it shouldn't be a static speed.

If you want to get technical, arrows do accelerate, but extremely fast, reach a top speed within fractions if a second, and then gradually lose both velocity and altitude.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Valentine's Day present finally finished. Only took me a few months to get around to it!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

oddium posted:

This is super pedantic and maybe it's not the same everywhere but those road lines are bugging the h*ck out of me. Generally yellow lines seperate traffic in opposing directions where white lines seperate traffic moving in the same direction

Maybe it's a one-way street, punk! Ever thought about that?! HUH, PUNK?!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Haha, I didn't even see the yellow lines. Hurf durf!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

As an artist that is perhaps a few years ahead of you in general, I can report that that feeling never goes away. Whether that gives you encouraging perspective of cripples you is up to you, I guess.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fridtjof Nansen posted:

What an rear end in a top hat. Somehow I missed all your pixel contributions to the thread... I've actually learned some things from reading the discussions Chipp has been a part of. You on the other hand are an off-putting prick that makes me not want to come back to the thread. "Study anatomy" -- a lot easier said than done and at least Chipp is working to improve. I know when I get excited about art it's because of the potential for hours of boring model study!

Yeah, no problem, why can't you just do that? Chipp, the problem is you just need to draw gooder!

That other guy is a dick, but you're being reactionary and silly. The other guy also has a point, and you don't.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I've always really liked the JonTron bumpers.

mutata fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 1, 2014

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

jbone posted:

The stairs' perspective is totally off, I didn't even realize they were stairs until I saw you mentioned "stairs." When you look down at a set of stairs from above, the top one looks smallest and the bottom looks biggest.

This is the exact opposite of the way perspective works.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Pixels own.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I hope they posted that Trine(?) screenshot as an example of lovely coloring.

I get what you're saying, but everyone pretty much loves how colorful Trine is.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

5 minutes is good because that's long enough to start drawing and short enough that your mind wont go "EW NO gently caress DRAWING FOR AN HOUR LETS GO EAT SOMETHING INSTEAD". You'll probably end up drawing longer than that.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Her left arm is missing half of the arm.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Manslaughter posted:

Perspective makes me think its pointed right at me so it's not so bad.

The angle the hand is at and especially the direction the sleeve opening is facing says it isn't foreshortening. Perspective is often a mindfuck. :/

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There will always be someone better than you. And someone better than that person. Just be better than the you from yesterday. That's enough of a battle as it is!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fuego Fish posted:

I was looking up limited palettes, and how people come up with them, and this particular method seemed interesting to me:

No luck in figuring out my own limited palettes, however.

This is called gamut masking and James Gurney has some great posts about it on his blog if you Google the term.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I have a 19" Yiynova screen tablet (cintiq style) and it was $600 and it works well enough.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Segmentation Fault posted:

You're one of the few people who actually understands what pixel art is meant to be

What?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I mean, retro games of all genres had silly idles. They make jokes about it in modern shows like Gravity Falls. There's certainly room for other approaches, but I don't see much wrong with the above. Pixel art requires exaggerated motion, subtleties don't read well at tiny resolutions.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I want to say that it helped communicate that the game was still running and not frozen, but I'm pretty sure I'm just making that up. I think at the end of the day it just goes to "in video games, moving is better than static".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's just pixel art applied as a texture on some simple 3D models. All pixel art techniques apply, especially lighting (that scene is unlit/fullbright and you'll be painting in a lot of your lighting) and color techniques. Take an object, model it as simple as possible (focus on simple silhouettes) and uv unwrap it and paint. Try to keep uv edges constrained to x/y grids so your straight lines won't be stepped.

Later you'll get much more clever with UV layout with overlapping uvs and reusing swatches of texture and such, but that's later once you understand the style a bit better.