Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Oh, hey, a pixel art thread. I have tons of that. From every one of my incomplete projects.

Powering up my old PC to pull some older stuff off. Huzzah.

Edit: Older stuff

Edit: Also, thanks for Pixen. I have a Mac and did not even know about it. Been using GIMP, which I am so used to now...it has a pencil tool, pallate, multiple views(so you can work zoomed up while still looking at a zoomed out version), grid, layers, etc. It works a lot better than photoshop for pixel work.

There's also
http://tilestudio.sourceforge.net/

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Shindragon posted:

Pixel art? Don't mind if I do. Most of these are old, way before I learn that Graphics Gale existed.

I actually kind of like that, it's a really awesome run cycle.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Is it just me, or is Pixen a touch buggy? Sometimes if I use the select and move tool, and am playing an animation, it starts flashing or chopping. Or if you have a zoom on an animation, add and remove a frame, when the animation hits the frame the preview window will size down unzoomed and then resize to your zoom.

One time it would't let me draw until I used the select tool, selected something and then unselected it.

It's definitely pretty cool though.

Edit: Just finished this in Pixen

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 27, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Out of curiosity, how long does it take most people to draw a sprite doing a a walk cycle?
I wish I could get faster.

Edit:

.TakaM posted:

Wooo pixel art!
Here's some of my stuff, it continues the common theme of most of it being unfinished. :p

Some various sprites I've made, the last one is the the main character in the game I'm making with a friend:

It's called Fetch Quest and that's where you start off the game, the beach still isn't animated and the dog doesn't have a real jump anim yet, but you get the idea.

Really cool stuff by the way guys, I'm glad to see there are some pixel artists here and all the charming graphics. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6xZOKO58wk&list=UUyRzLTuzFnTEaClQyt_7Aew&index=1&feature=plcp You sir...need to finish this.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 27, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

"Where the drugs at?"

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNg2KivFNCE
Work in progress, here's what all that poo poo was for.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

.TakaM posted:

Alright how's this look? Did some extra work on the bark too
This is a nice little enemy, only thing that could use some work are the wings- they look a bit too floppy, I think the spots need to move a bit more.

It's pretty good. To bring out the depth, try shifting some of the shaded areas a darker blue instead of just the same darker color!
You should be able to pallete swap those darker colors pretty easy? Try messing with shades of blue.

How did you do the leaves, anyway? There's so many, was there any copy\paste work, or all pushing pixel by pixel?

I really have a tough time with bigger pieces like that.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Ie, for example,

And the same applies to the bark, I think. Shift the shaded areas a touch blue to make it pop.

Or maybe I'm crazy? :P

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 10, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

.TakaM posted:

This is a nice little enemy, only thing that could use some work are the wings- they look a bit too floppy, I think the spots need to move a bit more.

I'll try to fix it, good catch. Should I change the body's color at all? Since everything is a shade of purple it looks kind of odd.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

korusan posted:

Screenshots from the sequel to my first game, Larry Goose's Tank and Warfare. I like everything in them except for the tank (note how it's totally top-down as opposed to the 3/4 view of everything else), but I like the tank sprite on its own. I suppose it could really use some dimension to it though - it looks awfully flat even with the shading. Any pointers to help it out?

I like it. Maybe put a shadow under the tank(just like a black box w/ semi transparency, or a black image with every other pixel see through)

It's probably going to be hard to get a lot of depth on a small sprite like that
You could try darkening the outlines on the side facing away from the light source?
And maybe a touch of dithering?

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Gonna start doing the pixel art daily things or something.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Today's pixel daily \o/

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 16, 2015

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
And today's pixel thing. Blight goblin doctor man man. Feedback appreciated, positive or negative, but the point of these is to do one a day, quickly.

Edit: https://twitter.com/Pixel_Dailies Trying to do this thing.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 17, 2015

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Scut posted:

Pixel Dailies are a good way to practice. Try using a pre-existing palette, you'll get a better distribution of colour values and they can help you focus on the form, blocking and linework.

Thanks! How would you go about setting that up? Back in the day, systems could only display a subset of colors at a time, but they should still choose a lot of different colors, no? Maybe CGA had 16 preset, but video game consoles could do more.

Zaphod42 posted:

Love this, straight outta blight town!

The arm really blends into the body, gotta make that pop more. And is the hand backwards?

...yup it is! I need to practice figure drawing more. What kind of color should I use? He's not wearing a shirt really. It's 32x32 so it is hard.

Manslaughter posted:

His face seems flat, don't be afraid to go nuts with lightening/darkening based on the light source. And try curving the spine a bit.

Thanks - I'll try some spine curvature when I work on bipedal sprites going forward. Too many colors gets distracting and weird looking, sometimes I don't add enough for shading. Light source would be above and to the left. I actually did notice the flatness, but when I tried adding more shading around the bottom of the mask it looked weird.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I tried the palette
Feels so odd not being able to just pick whatever color I want haha.
Today's pixel daily. 'Coon's gonna f your trash up.

Edit: Starting a palette folder. Maybe will collect them for a bit. Never knew people coming up with them was a thing.

Edit: Incapable of remembering to draw ears on literally anything I draw

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 19, 2015

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Shoehead posted:

Help me I cant stop redoing spriiiitttesss

Nah man, when you made a cool base to work with ya just can't stop drawing awesome stuff ontop of it.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

I...am never drawing a skeleton again. gently caress.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Bleh, after I started those pixel dailies, and those palette suggestions, and a couple runs of Undertale, I was inspired to start another game project. Drew some assets. Threw something together in Unity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4PskAIHtTo

I really hate working on this poo poo alone, though. It's for a story-driven puzzle platformer, trying to aim for an hour or two of gameplay. Designing fun puzzles is hard, though. So is drawing. And programming. And math. And level design. And having ideas.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Argue posted:

Random comments:
The barkeep was going to be an animation but he's all on one layer so I lost heart after nudging the head.
The butler's arms are kinda disconnected from his torso when you look at the animation, but when I sync up the arms to the torso it feels really lifeless. I don't have a better solution for that.

Not sure if there is a trick to animating pixel art, but sometimes I wonder if it's better to sketch out where you want various body parts to end up each frame, and use that as a template, and actually avoid copy\paste\layers as much as possible. Doubly so for walk cycles, bodies aren't very static when walking, and with cartoony animations it's best to even over-exaggerate. Not sure that you can use existing outlines even in different frames without ending up with really lifeless\awkward animations. At least if you're drawing people.

But I am in no position to talk about animation, those are some cool sprites.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 26, 2015

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Imaginary Friend posted:

edit
Snot-bubble or no snot-bubble? Maybe have both and randomize? Choices >_<

Snot bubble, yes. Not random. Or some floating z's. Or a dream bubble of him pawing at a beehive for honey haha.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Messing with Aseprite, it's pretty neat. Might start an RPGMAKER or C++\SDL project. How do I cat? Anything I do makes it either look like it's convulsing or making biscuits on the down\up walk cycle.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Highblood posted:

I'm not qualified to give any tips but for what it's worth the front facing cat looks like it's at an angle while the sideways one doesn't, and that's kind of strange

e: what I mean is that if you lower his butt a bit it should look better, and make his tail longer in the front facing one as well

e2: as for the walk cycle consider how a cat really walks, the leg that is behind is usually in line with the body, while the forward step is more in line with its head, more towards the middle I don't know poo poo about cats okay don't listen to me

Nah, you're right. There was a perspective issue. I think it's fixed, thanks.