Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

TemporalParadox posted:

Seeing this thread, and reading through the gamedev thread inspired me to try to make some pixel art.
For some reason, I decided to make a ~16x16 run cycle and idle of this fellow:

Then once I had that done I wanted to see it on something, so this is where I am now:

Actual size:

This stuff is tough. Especially working in smaller sizes; when an entire arm is about 5 pixels, each pixel really means quite a bit.

Maybe I'll make some mockups for a little game out of this or something. Any thoughts so far?

Hey TemporalParadox, I totally stole your assets for my hobby prototype since they were so pretty. If you're interested in working on something is a purely hobby way meaning do whatever work whenever with 0 commitment, please let me know. Oryx tileset only goes so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iJfUmn5p9o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Imaginary Friend posted:

Thanks, man. Too lazy to start a blog >_>

If anyone knows any good bear anatomy sites/books/whatever, please tell. My bear looks like a fricking warthog :/

It's left foot looks completely static.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

TemporalParadox posted:

I've been trying to make a bear myself.

As I mentioned before, pretty much all the pixel art I've ever made is in this thread, so I'm open to any comments.

I'm stealing your art (again) to make a prototype.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Shoehead posted:

Some experience? Don't be modest Sup, you're the Open Xcom guy!

However he's pretty bad at Xcom so I think it's a fair to say 'some experience'. :v:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Jackard posted:

The animations here* strongly remind me of some thirty-ish step interactive tutorial for designing a platformer that has you start out shooting zombies, adds a new feature each step, and finally at the end says "you were the villain all along"

I can't remember the name or find the link, does anyone else remember this?

*recoil, screen shaking, enemy bouncing, head bobbing, etc.

The Art of Screenshake given by JW of Vlambeer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJdEqssNZ-U

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Shoehead posted:

Yesterday was gun day

Great, now I miss my super soaker, NES zapper, and nerf revolver. These look great!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Chipp Zanuff posted:

My stuff isn't good enough quality to be used in games. I'm just interested in pixel-art and happen to dabble in it.

Attention people afraid their stuff isn't good enough for a "real" game. This is an example of pixel-art in my mobile game that garnered 30k downloads in little over a month as well as someone thinking the game is work 1k to buy off me. If you can do this or better, congrats you are ready for real games!

I've been practicing and getting a lot of guidance from others and here's where I am now with my pixel slinging skill. Progress!

Sagacity posted:

Ha, awesome. Is this then the right thread to mention that I'm a programmer looking for a pixel artist to work on small/fun little games? :)

This is me except I do profit share for my small/fun games which scares people away; however, I have a track record of Getting poo poo Done®. The only reason my developer art looks half decent is because I don't have a choice but learn. If anyone does the arts in the same style as Scut and Paul Veer (http://superpietepiet.tumblr.com/) and wants to talk, please dog pile on me.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Sagacity posted:

Wow, didn't realize so many people here were busy with hell-driving and scissor-running :D

Btw, talking about Pietepiet: He lives in Utrecht, just like me. We actually have a great indie game scene here, with Ronimo, Vlambeer and a bunch of others. I probably should get myself invited to one of those Dutch Game Garden lunches, somehow.

Uhhhhh hell yah. There's some serious talent in Netherlands. High five JW for me if you ever see him.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

RedRupee posted:

Here are some pixel doodles I've done lately.

I really want to work on something more substantial but nothing has inspired me lately.

I have a pretty big project coming up for arcade cabinet + xbox. i really don't want to do all the art myself. we should talk!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Shoehead posted:

I really like how deep the colour looks in the second example. I think for recolouring it's up to you weather you want to, I'm a bit lazy, but I think it saves time an achieves a similar effect.

I got more stuff done on Cybershark today, after getting it running with bases this weekend I decided to do the Hammerhead in the smaller style

He is now SUPER CUTE :3:

Aghhhh it's perfect. I like this version way better than the originals. Good work!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Chipp Zanuff posted:

I'll definitely give it a try at somepoint!

So back to characters now, i'm trying to get them into more "battle-ready" stances rather than just static standing still.

Here's my first attempt with the swordsman with a shield:

I'm hoping to eventually make an attack animation sequence as well, but it'll probably be a slow process.

I'm also going to try to learn more about anatomy, since it'll be crucial at this point i guess.

Skin tight chainmail? You can call it Under Armour.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Still not sure what to do with it in regards to it looking skintight :/

Anyway, here's an update, tried to do another frame (Probably will end up being 3-4 frames in total):

I fear i may have bitten off more than i can chew, i know that animation is difficult.

Also i'm struggling with getting the archer's arm, when he's firing, correct.

I think if the chest wasn't so shaded and the chainmail was untucked from his pants and down to maybe his groin, it would look more like chainmail.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Supernorn posted:

Animation test for pirate game

You deserve a lot of money for work like this. I hope this pays off in the end. :)

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

SystemLogoff posted:

Something like this you mean? (Except with more effort than a dirty gradient like I did. :cheeky:)

Some pig. Terrific. Radiant. Humble.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Chipp Zanuff posted:

I try to vary each frame by a certain amount of time, not sure if it's that clear though on viewing, also eliminated that frame you mentioned, hopefully it looks smoother.

Tried to show what a Melee Version might look like:

Ignore the writing, just wanted to get a quick example up and to see whether it works. I was thinking of doing this: When in Melee combat, both enemies are close, almost touching the dividing line in the middle of the screen. When both are far away (basically not immediately close to each other, like the first example) both are far away. I was also thinking of making it that when a ranged unit (magical or otherwise) attacks a unit right next to it, the attacker appears backwards like in the first example, whilst the attacked appears closer like in the second example.

Does that uh, make any sense? Probably made it sound more complicated than it actually is.

You could try doing a jerky tween at each other that way the positions stay static for melee/ranged. Just have ranged people not move. Example (the bat):

It would probably look great with your swordsman because his feet are moving during the swing implying there's a bit of motion.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

I wanna pet that turtle.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Just an update on this, since i was updating the two-handed attack:

The sword swing looks really slow for some reason and doesn't match the slash. It looks like you have a frame during the slash where the sword points northeast? Try getting rid of just that frame and it might speed up the swing so the slash looks realistic.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Thanks for the advice! I tried removing it, but it looked too sudden for me, so i sped up the 2nd slash frame, hopefully it doesn't look too slow:

Hey that looks a ton better!

Shoehead posted:

A second player for Cybershark, a Crocodile Skink woman!

All of this owns. Is that a punch combo I see?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Shoehead posted:

Yeah I sent it to you on like Tuesday!

Ahhhhhh I missed it. You draw too fast. Guess I'll post our little friend in action:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Cool! The size of it makes me think it's for an ios-like device?

Updated the spear attack because i fear that it lacked impact and the build up was way too short:

PC/Arcade Cabinet/Possibly XBone if I feel like hassling ID@XBox finally.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Shoehead posted:

Hassle the poo poo out of them, that other job I told you about fell through I got lots of time to work on CYBERSHARK PUNCHER

YES YES YES YES YES. I thought it was funny that my dropbox was constantly updating.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Dig man wants to run.

Dig man wants to dig.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Fuego Fish posted:

Things Fuego is still bad at drawing: people.

Things Fuego is apparently getting better at drawing: piles of stuffed animals.

Wow, this looks great!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Thanks for the advice! I tried doing what you said, but i fear it doesn't translate as well:

Apologies if this isn't what you meant, Zackarotto! All and any advice is useful for making it better, just unsure how at the moment.

After the sword down + slash frame, have one additional frame where his sword is still down but the slash is not there. That'll make it seem like he swung so hard, it takes him a second to pull the sword up from the force. Right now the animation is so fluid from raising to swinging to holding back that nothing feels like it has force.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Like this?

Added an extra frame where he begins to lift the sword after the swing and extended the duration of the frame where there's no slash.

Will try to make the sword look less weird in the new frame.

Yah that feels a lot better to me. Like he swung so hard, it takes a second to reverse direction of the blade to lift it back up. I like it!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Shoehead posted:

It's the end of my night, but I think I got a lot done today!

And in game...

And I just realized I missed the little hop. :(

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

McKilligan posted:

Loving it! But, it's a little hard to see what's going on, especially if it's smaller than that - are you planning on adding any punch effects, like, colored 'energy' impact effects when you land a hit?

The sprite sheets are still a work in progress but it's a priority that things are very readable especially the punches. We'll probably have some effects a little later to help punch it up (pun intended).

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Can anyone can give me some tips on run animation? I'd love to make the legs a little thicker but not sure how to pull it off and still look wizardly. Also I think the run cycle is hosed but I'm so bad at run animations. :saddowns:

link to sprites: http://i.imgur.com/4hLHGRp.png

edit: replaced gif with better example.

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 1, 2014

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Internet Janitor posted:

I have sort of a crazy idea for a project, but I'll have to experiment with how well I can get my bitmaps to compress before I'll know if it's possible.

hint: it's an adaptation of a well known video game.

myst?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Oh my this looks so much better. It reads a lot better and now I wanna play in this world. :)

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

the chaos engine posted:

Yeah! And after some tweaks I finally figured out how to tackle the dang thing:

Oh man, those tiles are gorgeous.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Orzo posted:

Screenshake is the most utterly overused thing in indie games lately and I cringe every time I see it. I like your blur better!

I agree with this. Screenshake implies a crunch or smash or hard impact. Sword swings are graceful and swift and flow. Screenshake just doesn't work. I'd stick with the blur.

If you still want to have some sort of impact effect, try pausing the game for a frame or two at point of impact to sell it.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Shoehead posted:

It definitely is!

Holy crap that shark. Whoa.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Blast from the 6 month past.

Are you going to revisit all the animations Shoehead?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

tystatic posted:

This isn't the last we'll be seeing this, and it will be glorious.

Contribution :

This accurately portrays what real fishing is like. Including the screenshake.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

the chaos engine posted:

Allowing myself exactly two hours a day to make something for #7DRL, thought it came out kinda neat:

I always always always love your palette choices. Never change ever mr. engine.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

the chaos engine posted:

This is actually the first palette I ever made completely myself from scratch! Most of the time I yell at Scut to make me one.

Yah I get you and Scut mixed up all the time because of the colors and pixel art.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Not done much beyond the usual plodding away:

Updated archer animation; hopefully less weird/stiff looking:

Unsure of how to make the bow look less awkward when it's being moved.

Tried revising some of my character designs for the dude's below because i felt they sucked and looked generic. Differentiated the size, clothing, etc.

Sorry if it's not much progress, been mainly agonising over how to make the units look different.

Hey I know you've been working on tiny sprite animations forever it seems, but you're really making progress in my opinion. Keep it up!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Internet Janitor posted:

I would say that MSPaint is still an OK option for pixel art, but the "ribbon menu" update to it really ruined most of the tools and made everything require twice as many mouse clicks to use. :(

I mostly work with Pixen.

If you're on Windows, I'd suggest Paint.NET. It's the closest thing to MSPaint I could find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Cicadas! posted:

I'm making a super tiny dungeon man for a super tiny dungeon adventure. He fits handily in a 16x16 square! Reducto would be proud, I think.

actual size

x2 zoom

The walk animation reminds me of Lemmings so much.