Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
Roach vs Iorveth is easy. Iorveth's path is just so much more interesting. I still cant decide what to do with Cynthia though.

On one hand the next game is literally called The Wild Hunt and has to do a lot with Nilfgard. Cynthia is a high ranking Nilfgardian agent who is an expert on the Wild Hunt, and is infatuated enough with Geralt, to betray her country by letting him use the megascope, killing her fellow agent and lying in her reports(which is punishable by horrific death.) So she could easily be a super useful source of information and help in the next game. But on the other hand she got Triss tortured.

Sylphosaurus posted:

I'm currently playing with focus on the swordmastery path and I was wondering what kind of runes I should focus on for the steel and silver swords? It appears that Incineration doesn't do much against monsters but is more effective agains humans. Does this apply to all effects or do monsters have weakness for the bleeding status or something else?

Blocking isn't very effective so I'd recommend just not bothering with earth runes unless you're having a lot of trouble and really need the extra HP. as for fire vs ysgith. I put at least one on each sword to get the fire and the bleeding effects. Then I usually just go for pure damage with ysgith. The only exception is I like to have pure fire runes on my silver sword for act 3 because of the dragon. the extra fire resistance is great. It depends on the monsters as for how effective effects are, like fire is good for drowners and harpies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

PurplieNurplie posted:

Lord help me, I'm playing this through on Insane.

I'm up to the start of Chapter 1 already, which is probably going to be the hardest part for a while.

If anyone else has beaten the game on Insane, tips or whatever would be nice, besides 'stop being insane :v:'

Wall of text incoming, sorry there's a lot of stuff I learned playing insanity mode.

After a few half starts I finally beat it a few months ago. My main problem was that I would get bored, stop paying enough attention, and get myself killed from some rookie mistake.

Do not let that happen. And you're right chapter 1 is the hardest. You can be instantly killed by things like rotfiends, and if you aren't watching your positioning nekkers can absolutely wreck you. But there are some pretty dangerous creatures on other parts as well. I got sideswipped by a gargoyle on act 3 taken down to like 5% hp. I don't think my heart rate has ever gone so high from playing a videogame before.

Be the most paranoid hyper-alert person ever when you are out in the wilderness. Don't be afraid to reload. Don't be afraid to just run the gently caress away from a battle. Always expect to get attacked from any direction at any second. I would compulsively scan back and forth left and right. Also in that vein do not play any music while you are playing. I usually do, but you absolutely need to be able to hear the telltale sounds of monsters nearby. Oh and especially in chapter 1, always have quen on. It will only block one hit but that hit could save your life. If you don't have vigor to cast it, then just chill out and wait. You don't want to rush into things and get yourself killed.

Sweep towns in their entirety the second you get onto a map. Sell anything you don't need and make whatever you do need. And take the easiest quests first in order to gain levels. Eg. Don't run off and try to fight wraiths before you have done things like killing off the nekkers.

Keep a good eye out for the best equipment, highest damage you can find, best armor class. Don't horde money, if you're really hurting for it in chapter 2 you can farm harpies on iorveth/triss path and sell what they drop to make tons of money. Carrying around money won't help you, being nearly destitute but having bought recipes and crafted good armor will. Always put armor enhancements and sword runes into your equipment.

Another side note on equipment, If you have a good Witcher 1 save use it. There are some that you can download as well that have high end TW1 equipment that while much weaker in TW2 have lots of open rune slots that will be useful for act 1 damage.

Make potions. Use them 24/7. That entire game I never went anywhere with monsters without having a swallow potion and some kind of extra damage like whirl or rook. Any difficult fight you should be tossing bombs, especially in act 1. Samum, grapeshot, dancing star, zerikkanian sun. Are all pretty good as I recall. When in doubt just bomb the absolute poo poo out of everything. There's always more bomb ingredients. Daggers work as well. Troll? Bomb it. Letho? Bomb that motherfucker. Draug? bomb time.

If you haven't played though it at least once before on a lower difficulty, you really should before you try insanity. Having the foreknowledge of what might be coming is invaluable. Definitely figure out how to do the arrow running part of chapter 2 flawlessly before you try it on insanity.

Know where all the minor little perks are and how to get them. Like the extra damage by killing all the training dummies in the prologue and floatsam. And finding the dead assassins creed guy, ect.

During chapter 2 make sure that if you're on the pursue Triss/choose Iorveth path that when you cross over during the fog you go to the little house for From a Bygone Era and activate it so that you can respec your character. (If you're on the pursue Letho/choose Roche path then make sure you do that quest as well. obviously.)

For templates I grabbed one level of footwork and one of position to balance out the damage. Then maxed out on alchemy. Get 2 of impregnation 2 of side effect. Make sure you get every single mutable skill possible and once you have 2 levels of impregnation you can start putting greater mutagens into them. I would suggest you only use greater strength, greater power, and madness ones. Greater strength first to get you a lot beefier so you don't have to be nearly as paranoid all the time(but be paranoid anyways because you don't want to lose 15 hours of work. I've been there. It's not fun.) Once you max out your alchemy tree. Don't actually max it out though just get up to the top tier and put 1 point into each of the mutable skills. Then switch over fully to swords and get it up to again the mutable skills. Depending on how many strength/power you used. You will do extremely high damage and be pretty beefy at this point.

In act 3 you can and should do From a Bygone Era and respec. It won't appear that the skills you respeced have mutagens applied to them, but i assure you they will still be active, so don't overwrite them or you will lose the impregnation bonus. At this point I speced swords and magic about evenly. Then I used mutagens on the magic skills. They will only give half as good of bonuses but at this point you should be pretty much unstoppable even on insanity mode.

Wrote way more than I meant to. I hope it was helpful to you. Gluck with your attempt.

DoctorTristan posted:

I'm absolutely certain no-one has ever beaten the game on insane without cheating their way past the save deletion.

Awww, you :allears:. Making me feel so special.

COOKIEMONSTER fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 28, 2014

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

I am a little sad though, because I played this with Roche and it's just so goddamn bleak. I had forgotten how horrific the pogrom against the mages and sorcerers is when you don't save Triss and the north is utterly hosed despite having strong kings. I would have preferred to have Saskia around but honestly I don't see her city surviving the initial onslaught of the Empire after the beating they took from Henselt. I'm super excited to bring this save over to the Witcher 3, but I doubt it will have too much effect on the game since it's set in the Empire. Plus there were plenty of retcons from the first game.

To be fair You can find the dagger on some guards you kill if you rescue Iorveth in the Epilogue. So the chances of being able to save Saskia in TW3 are pretty high. Either that or they just explicitly decided to add an item into the game at a spot where its no longer usable for absolutely no reason.

Also, I thought that the map for TW3 went up into the lower half of the northern kingdoms? Hence that whole backdrop of a war trailer plus the fact that you drink a potion and are told to return to Vizima in a year. Would be hard to have to return to Vizima if it isn't on the map.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

Lycus posted:

Philippa enchanting the dagger with a dual purpose (counterspell and single-blow kill) makes a lot of sense, I figure she would've seen the need to have the means to swiftly eliminate her if something went wrong.

Her trying to get them to kill Saskia, seems like it would be out of character though. She's never seen to be vindictive and killing Saskia wouldn't serve any political goal.

Without a figurehead she has no way to control upper aedirn anyways; they won't accept a lesbomancer as their ruler and she has no suitable backup puppet. Saskia herself isn't particularly vindictive, so Eilhart has no real fear of reprisals from her. Especially considering that (possibly) Stennis is king of Aedirn, beloved by the people, and not a fan of Saskia. The only people she might fear would be from Iorveth and Geralt. Neither of which have that strong of a motivation to chase her down and kill her, so long as she doesn't lie to them and kill Saskia. Geralt would be more busy chasing Yennifer, and Iorveth would be busy helping Saskia fight Nilfgaard soldiers.

Even if she was 100% planning on escaping before they killed Saskia as per her instructions, the death would serve no practical purpose. And she would have to be looking over her shoulder constantly for that arrow from the guy who's only purpose in life before he found Saskia was revenge at any cost.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

Lycus posted:

I never meant vindictive. Calculated. That's not out of character. If things have gone wrong enough that the whole plan had to be abandoned, then a dead dragon is better than a live dragon that might someday have its spell broken and come looking for you. Lack of army isn't really important, the scary parts are the flying, claws, teeth and fire.

Phillipa is one person and can easily hide in cities or practically anywhere she wants to. Saskia has a new found kingdom to run. One that still faces danger of collapse without her as a figurehead. The rest of Aedirn wants to retake the land and Nilfgaard is coming. And its surrounded by other kings who might want to make forrays to take it as well. She can't afford to start burning cities in an effort to get Eilhart, she has to be there in Upper Aedirn, setting the foundations of her kingdom. Training a new army, setting up laws, keeping the peace between disparate factions.

And I don't really see that as a calculated smart decision. Phillipa isn't a fool and even as outlawed as Iorveth is, all it would take is a second for him to kill her from 50-60 yards away. And he would stalk her for the rest of her life, which would be lived in constant paranoia.

Lycus posted:

Besides, if one purpose of the dagger wasn't to kill her if it pierced the heart, then what was the point of that dialogue where Philippa emphasized that that was Geralt was required to do (and Iorveth's subsequent skeptical comment)?

Not everything that's said has a direct effect on the plot. Sometimes a character just wants to explain how something is 'like loving a cat with an anvil.' It gives a glimpse of what the world and it's people are like without furthering anything really. Just like how Yarpin exclaiming "lesbomancy" doesn't(probably) mean that there's an actual school of magic called Lesbomancy; just that he is something of a vocal perv.

Nilfgaard executed 53/54 of Iorveth's friends at the Ravine of the Hydra. Only he and one other escaped the betrayal. When Geralt first meets him he can talk a bunch to lure Iorveth into lowering his guard before bam shooting a spell at him to try to capture him. Letho betrays him, kills one of his unit commanders, and plans to kill Iorveth(who's failure to catch the deception results in a ton of his friends and soldiers.) When he agrees to take part in Geralt's deception of Letho it is only after he explains that Geralt is surrounded and they will torture him to death horrifically if Geralt kills Iorveth. Phillipa betrays him as well and spirits away after the battle with a brainwashed Saskia.

In the case of Philippa and Iorveth's "subsequent skeptical comment." It shows exactly that. He's skeptical. He's been betrayed so many times and has become so world weary that he believes everything is a trick. He is the most betrayed character in the entire game, and he shows it by expecting to be lied to and tricked at every turn. Eilhart has already betrayed him earlier, so it's perfect characterization for him to immediately assume that she's lying to him again to kill the girl he's in love with.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

Lycus posted:

But she was lying. Geralt didn't need to stab her in heart at all. So Philippa making the dagger capable of killing Saskia seems to be simple and logical reason why'd she say that, that's all.

I dunno there's just too many weird little innocuous things that feel like mistranslations to me or changes in the story that they simply didn't go back and fix afterwards. It feels more like they added the lines then then went, wait we want Geralt to have to fight a dragon as a section boss. Storyboarded out the whole dragon impaling itself and then realized it would take way too much animation and also the dagger wasn't long enough to get in to the heart anyways, so they just went screw it.

It just feels more like retconning during the dev process to me then it does an actual conscious decision by the writers. There's all kind of little innocuous things that aren't really explained all that well. Like how if you follow Roche's path and then dare to say "we gotta save Triss" all the NPCs are like "if you wanted to go get Triss you should have gone with Iorveth you idiot." Well great, I wish someone had told me that in the first place when I was actually making the decision. Or like how Stennis' guilt is left completely open to argument, as the facts don't actually conclude anything. But Geralt later just straight up declares in a cutscene that Stennis is totally and absolutely a weaselly little poisoner who tried to kill Saskia.

Edit: Also its worth noting that the original spell to bind Saskia totally involved stabbing her in the heart.

COOKIEMONSTER fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 19, 2014

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

Leb posted:

As for Triss, though, talking to both Iorveth's people and Roche makes it very clear that Iorveth will take you immediately to Aedirn so that you may pursue Triss while Roche will tell you that Aedirn can wait as he's far more interested in Loredo/Kaedwen.

The Sharmat posted:

Also I went with Iorveth my first time precisely because it seemed like the fastest way to get to Triss, so...

But it's not even that.

My post was already a bit large so I didn't want to espouse every innocuous detail. But the exact same dialogue is available on the other side. You'd expect fastest way out of town to be the easiest way to pursue the Letho as well, right? Kingslayer is headed to vergen right away so if you go with the elves you get to him faster, because who cares about flotsam anyways? But if you go with Iorveth and say 'I have to find the kingslayer,' all the dwarves and dandelion are like 'well you should have gone with Roche then.' Which was pretty unexplained at the time of the decision.

COOKIEMONSTER fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 20, 2014

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
I'm glad they are taking their time. Honestly having read one of those preview PDF things. A lot of the stuff they plan to put in The Witcher 3 sounds ridiculously difficult to do right. The completely reactive world with real ingame economy, complex AI morale system where they will surrender or flee, villages that react to monsters where peasants will get picked off and if you wait too long a village might be abandoned completely or killed off, and people will migrate to avoid cold during temperature changes.

Crazy ambitious. If they can really pull it off it will be GOTY for the next 5 years easily.

Aurubin posted:

Since the wikis are a mess, can anyone summarize what role The Wild Hunt had in the books? Apparently they were actually in the original prose? I read a bunch, but rather than try and regurgitate a poorly written wiki article, anyone with knowledge of the books and stories care to give me their take?

I'm only on book 4. The first mention of it is in book 2 though. And it's just for metaphorical purposes, the elves have a different name and understanding of the phenomenon. Yennifer says they describe it as the queen of winter spreading icicles. If they pierce your heart you will never find love. Geralt says differently "It's not a legend, Yen. It's a beautiful way to describe the terrible phenomenon called the Wild Hunt, a curse apparent in certain lands. An irrational collective insanity drives people to follow the ghostly procession racing across the sky. I've seen it. Indeed, it's not uncommon in winter. I've been offered a lot of money to end the curse, but I didn't take it. Nothing can stand against the Wild Hunt..."

They also talk about it in book 3, just very shortly, noting that it's strange that no Elven or Dwarven historical texts from before the humans arrived on the continent mention the phenomenon at all. Which made more sense having played the game, and learned the truth behind it.

I've just started on book 4 but I'm not afraid of spoilers so I did a quick search for "wild hunt"(I'm using a PDF version.) I'm assuming it's a dream sequence although without greater context I'm not sure. Ciri often has crazy dreams because she's a child of the elder blood and some unknown force is trying to scare her by showing her the future. So it's either something happening or something that will happen. But she sees the wild hunt. They find her and say: "Child of the Elder Blood! You belong to us! You are ours! Join the procession, join our Hunt! Let us run, run to the end of eternity, until the limit of existence! You are ours, daughter of Chaos! Join us and know the joy of the Hunt! You are ours, you’re one of us! Your place is among us!" she ends up fleeing from them as the section ends and they chase her "Behind her she could feel the spectral pursuers."

I've also heard from another source that further on the books(though I forget where I heard it,) ciri ends up in an alternate dimension, probably the one the elves are coming from. I'm not sure if she got kidnapped or if she teleported there using her own powers as a Source. I assume the former. Because I also distinctly remember that part of it is she has to master her powers or something to figure out how to get home and escape from the dimension.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've only read one of The Witcher novels (Last Wish I think), expecting it to be more like Witcher 2 in that it involves these human political struggles and schemes between kingdoms, but it's actually a lot more focused on fairy tale and fantasy stuff, the Witcher 2 had a much different tone; The Wild Hunt as the focus of the third game would actually fit in pretty well with the universe, at least if the one novel I read was any indication.

They get more political as they go on.

The end of the 2nd book is basically right after the aftermath of the first invasion of the north by Nilfgard. They talk a lot about the battle of Sodden as Geralt tries to piece together what happened. The 3rd book "Blood of Elves" was a lot more heavy on the political stuff. They introduce the squirrels, Master Dijkstra(Spymaster for Redania,) and big time schemer Phillipa Eilhart. And not sure if this is a spoiler(I doubt it is though as it's introduced very early in the book) but a big portion of it deals with a Nilfgaardian agent trying to track down Geralt. They each try to outmaneouver each other with intelligence gathering and deceit. The story even cuts to Emhyr var Emreis, groups of scheming mages, and to the northern kings having a private meeting.

COOKIEMONSTER fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 14, 2014

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Well, I suppose that's what I get for judging the whole series based on one book, then.

Thanks for telling me about that, that's more what I was looking for in the series; I'll have to check that one out.

You should read the 2nd book too(sword of destiny.) Even though it's a lot more of the monster related short stories, it has a lot of important setup info for the third book. Like who the hell Ciri is and why she is now so integral to the plot that at least 1/3rd of the chapters are now from her POV. And more background on the Yennifer+Geralt relationship.

And the stories do revolve a bit more around politics. Like Geralt being sent by a king to parley with a nation of dryads who kill everyone entering their forest. And being asked/threatened to interfere in a political marriage to ensure an outcome a queen wants.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
Just finished all the novels and now I'm confused why Zoltan is a major character in the games. He was barely around in the novels, whereas Yarpin Zigrin was in like practically every book and way cooler.

Anyways I'm not sure if the guy who asked to sum up the Wild Hunt as part of the novels is still interested(or even reading this thread ever again) but:

The Wild Hunt flies over the world giving everyone who had anything to do with Ciri nightmare visions of her getting gravely wounded and nearly killed.

Later she tries to get to the tower of the Swallow to escape pursuers. She races towards it while having a total panic attack of terror because an exceedingly dangerous sociopath named Bonhart is chasing her down. Suddenly out of nowhere the sky breaks and the Wild Hunt apparates. The king of the wild hunt appears right in front of Bonhart telling him 'to flee that the child of elder blood is theirs, ect ect' this scares Bonhart's horse so badly it throws him from the saddle, and Ciri is free to escape into the tower where she is transported/kidnapped into the Elven alternate dimension world.

There among other things it is revealed that the Wild Hunt kidnaps people and uses them as a slave race.

Later when she escapes from the world by teleporting from dimension to dimension(including ending up on Earth a few times) they pursue her through dimensions and spacetime for awhile before she escapes.

If you're interested in beyond 'what the Wild Hunt does,' and more interested in who the gently caress are they exactly and why are they doing any of this. Which is a part I glossed over previously:

Part of the prophecy about Ciri is basically that an offspring of Lara Dorren will dominate the world and probably save it from the coming ice age. She also has a power of time and space that Lara Dorren had genetically. When the Conjunction of Spheres occurred a lot of the elves apparently had the power and they could open the "Gate of the Worlds." There is a belief, at least for some educated powerful fellows, that they can also take Ciri's genetic material using a placenta and use it to mutate themselves and gain the powers. So basically the books in short, to borrow terminology from Jamie Lannister, are The War for Ciri's oval office.

The Conjunction as mentioned before, was made by humans in an effort to escape their world which they destroyed somehow. When they arrive at the world of the witcher series. They set about conquering the Elves. Most of the elves eventually fought back but lost hard. Some of the elves at some point however sought a way to flee from the world, but they had lost the power to open large dimensional rifts. So they got help from the unicorns who are apparently all timelords. The unicorns opened a rift and they escaped to another world. There were people living there already, so the elves wholesale slaughtered all the natives. They piled their bones in mass graves which Ciri later finds. The Unicorns become horrified by what the elves did and declared war on the Elves.

Anyways the Elves trap Ciri in their world with magic blocking her ability to teleport away, and they want to force her to have sex with their king so that they can have the prophetical child and tear open the Gate of Worlds, because the Unicorns won't help them do it anymore. The Red Riders or Wild Hunt as they are known each have a limited ability to teleport between dimension and time, but the Elves want to be able to bring all their elven brethren across the divide with them. They also likely want to subjugate or kill the entire human race.

So in context of the Witcher 3. It's likely they wanted to use Geralt or Yennifer as leverage to force Ciri to return and submit again. Or they probably know that Cirilla's destiny is Geralt. So they sought to add him to their spectral riders expecting that fate would pull Ciri and Geralt back together and they could capture her again. Geralt probably figured out their plans and managed to escape.

COOKIEMONSTER fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Apr 30, 2014

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

Khazar-khum posted:

Yennefer and others tend to walk all over him.

Tell that to Fringilla Vigo. The Lodge got played so hard.

Also speaking of Fringilla, I really hope she didn't get killed along with Assire in W2. Fringilla is one of the cooler sorcs. Plus if she did live she would probably be in Toussaint, and I really want to visit there in the Witcher 3.

COOKIEMONSTER fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 14, 2014

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

Somehow I doubt she'll still be Triss's friend when she finds out how rapidly Triss took advantage of her apparent death.

She already has/had a semi-hateful relationship with Triss. Everytime Triss shows up in the same area as Geralt and Yennifer, Yen will give her a death stare and berate her for being in love with Geralt. Also they are kind of friends and kind of not at all. Triss betrays Yen pretty hard(though she helps her in the 'end.')

That being said, it really wasn't taking that much advantage, Geralt was in a relationship with Triss pre-amnesia. Her actions in W1(as I remember them) could basically be her hopeful thinking that he would remember their relationship. Also people tend to take things less personally in the Witcher universe. like how Geralt has a several month love affair with the woman who almost permanently blinded Yennifer at the Battle of Brenna. And that same woman, helps Yennifer greatly twice, both directly and indirectly saving her life.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

yep

edit: that was cagey, so here's my answer as to why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs

Does that mean you are working on Cyberpunk then, and not the Witcher?

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

Coughing Hobo posted:

Well, thus far CDPR hasn't made a habit out of making promises it can't keep*, so shill away!

Honestly not that they explicitly promised it, but they had a Witcher 3 features list awhile ago that if they are even able to deliver on half of what they said it will be the best game of the entire decade bar none.

Like I don't work in the industry, but I feel I have a pretty firm grasp from having played a ton of videogames, half my friends being programmers and 3/5 of my immediate family having Comp Sci degrees. And that features list reads like a list of things they would like to have in a game giving infinite money and time in an ideal world. But having a dynamic realistic economy, temperature effecting the real world and village population migration, dynamic AI in battles that reacts adaptively with tactics and can flee in fear, monsters that dynamically hunt prey in a real world and each have telltale signs that you can use to track them down to their lairs like some kind of medieval Sherlock Holmes. ONTOP of having the same high quality cinematics, story telling, voice acting, some of the highest end RPG graphics yet created in a world larger than Skyrim?

Yeah I'll believe it when I see it. And if I do see it, I will probably suspect witchcraft or some kind of soul selling deal with Satan.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

monster on a stick posted:

How do you get this? Dandelion seems like a fantasy hipster who gives out the occasional plot coupon, and then throws him under a bus by quoting Geralt in the anti-Hansalt thing.

Dandelion helps Geralt immeasurably in the books, and is one of few of Geralt's friends who doesn't die horribly, and the very first one to sign up on team "lets go save Ciri."

He is responsible for most of Geralt's fame as well. Which often motivates people to help him, gets him work contracts, and make women want to bone him. He helps Geralt with info from his work as a spy. He is pretty well responsible for Geralt's giant bank account in Toussaint. He also introduces Geralt to(or otherwise helps him to meet) a ton of important contacts: Shani, Fringilla, ect.

Basically without Dandelion Geralt would have failed hard and gotten killed; and also Nilfgaard would have won and conquered the north(although technically they got exactly what they wanted from the war anyways despite 'losing.')

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

sebmojo posted:

I haven't seen anything from Sapowski that's not grindingly terrible fantasy shlock, but I'm willing to say that's bad translation - have you got an example of one of his better passages?

If the only thing you have read is some of the early short stories then yeah I understand not thinking it's that great. He tended to learn a lot very quickly as he wrote so his stuff tends to get better very quickly.

I can't remember any specific passages because by and large a lot of what I read personally wasn't the best insofar as translations go. But I could definitely tell they were well written in polish because you could see all kinds of symbolism, imagery, foreshadowing. Even the ending was actually foreshadowed and fit well into the story which is interesting given how large of a twist it was. Very solid setting up tells me he knew what he was doing from a story writing perspective. The politics was also by and large very cleverly done, and quite complex, it's like ASOIAF before that was a thing. It also deals with some complex ideas like free will, fate, ethics, big philosophic ideas, economic ploys.

I also like his writing, how he changes perspectives often when talking about an event. It's very unique from what I've seen. Eg. Here's Geralt and crew in the event. Cut to 500 years in the future of historians doing an excavation. Cut to 2 months in the future of a girl on trial talking about the event.

The characters are also far from standard fantasy. They often have complex motivations, struggles, and very few people are black and white or how others see them. eg. Zoltan is a generally good guy but helped murder a merchant in a robbery gone wrong. He want's to make up for what went wrong and in a way is searching for redemption for his folly.

Probably my favorite passage but super spoilerific, involves a major death, and was probably heightened by the build up to the passage in other novels. So be warned if you ever plan to read the books.

Milva/Maria is the same person FYI, and it's important to know that she had a troubled childhood. Her father died when she was young, and she felt like her parents never really cared about her.

The bowstring hummed. One of the brave three screamed in pain, leaned over the rail and fell against the pavement of the patio. Seeing this, the other two faltered. They fell to the ground and huddled. Those who were rushing into the gallery were apparently reluctant and stayed in safe shelter from Milva's arrows.
With one exception.
Milva evaluated him on sight. Not very tall, dark complexion, brunette. With a glossy protector on his left forearm and a glove on his right hand. The girl saw that his compound bow was beautifully crafted, with a fitted handle and a curved staff as it tightened smoothly. She could she how tense the chord was as it crossed his swarthy face, she saw the arrow's feathers touch his cheek. She saw that he measured exactly.
Milva readied her bow, strung it deftly, and aimed. The string came up to her face, one of the feathers grazed the corner of her mouth.

'Harder, harder, Maria, to the mouth. Move your fingers on the bowstring so the arrow does not come loose from the notch. Let your hand rest on your jaw. Aim! Both eyes open! Hold your breath! Shoot!'
The bowstring, despite her protector, painfully bit into her left forearm.
Her father wanted to say something, but fell into a fit of coughing - dry, crisp, torturous. The cough was getting worse, thought Maria Barring as she lowered the bow. Worse and more often. He coughed yesterday, just as I aimed at a deer. And for lunch we had boiled cabbage. I hate boiled cabbage. I hate being hungry. And misery.
The older Barring gasped and wheezed harshly.
'You hit an inch from the center, oaf! A whole inch! I told you not to move or drop the bow! And you sit there wiggling as if someone had put a snail in your rear end. And you spend too long aiming. You'll get weary hands, just shoot! Or you'll keep wasting arrows!'
'I hit it! And not a whole inch, but barely half a span from the center!'
'Do not argue! The gods punished me when they sent me you instead of a son and moreover, awkward as a boob!'
'I'm not a boob!'
'Well, show me. Shoot again. And learn from what I've said. No wiggling, like you're stuck in the ground. Aim and shoot without hesitation. Why are you crying?'
'Because you scrutinize me.'
'It's a father's right. Shoot.'
She tightened the bow. She was crying. He saw it.
'I love you Maria,' he said softly. 'Never forget that.'
She let go of the string, the feathers barely touched the corner of her mouth.
Good,' said her father. 'Good, my daughter.'
He began to cough in a terrible, rattling way.

The black archer was killed on the spot. Milva's arrow struck him under the left arm and penetrated deeply, more than halfway down the shaft, shattering ribs, and smashing the lungs and heart.
He fired a fraction of a second earlier and the red feathered arrow struck Milva low in the abdomen. It tore into her guts and severed an artery and shattered her pelvis. The archer fell to the floor as if hit by a battering ram.
Geralt and Cahir cried out with one voice. Aware that the Milva was down, the archers in the gallery once again jumped up and fired a hail of arrows. One of the arrows hit Cahir's helmet. A second, Geralt swore, combed his hair.
Milva left behind her a large, shiny trail of blood. In the place where she lay, in a blink of an eye, it had grown into a puddle on the floor. Cahir cursed, his hands were shaking. Geralt felt overwhelmed by despair. And rage.
'Auntie!' howled Angouleme. 'Auntie, don't die!'
Maria Barring opened her mouth, coughed horribly and spit blood down her chin.
'I love you too, Dad,' she said clearly.
And she died.

I'll look up more later if you want, there's a good one of Geralt and his mother.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

theDOWmustflow posted:

I've only played Witcher 1 and 2 and I don't know who the hell Yennifer or Ciri is aside from what people are saying here. I didn't realize the books were that popular.

They aren't, it's survey bias. We are on a nerdy forum for nerds who like the Witcher games enough to be posting about them a year before the new one comes out and like two years after the last one.

theDOWmustflow posted:

Also I thought the Nilfgaardians were the enemy in the Witcher 2, although I didn't finish the last act.

Geralt generally tries to stay out of politics as much as he can. His response to "but the Nilfgaardians might take over" is usually "ehhh whatever."

He's really only after Letho(depending on your choices) or Triss(Depending on your choices) which potentially requires the death of a bunch of Nilfgaardians that are in your way.

But Nilfgaardians aren't his enemies, a lot of them were/are his friends. Shilard and Renuald aep Matsen though? You bet.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
Not that CDPR wouldn't be perfect for an ASOIAF game, but licensing rights with HBO or GRRMs publisher would probably be extremely costly. Better that they use somewhat lesser known IPs that come cheaper and save their money for actual game development than spending it on the newly popular IP.

Plus telltale is already making a GoT game. I'd rather CDPR make one about pirates. There hasn't been a pirate RPG since like, the last Sid Meyers one. (I don't count black flag since 40% of the game was spent talking about space aliens.)

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

Riso posted:

There's already a GOT RPG. The story is supposed to be decent but the gameplay is a bit clunky.

The story was mostly good, as it was outline by GRRM. Some of the story though is just downright stupid. Like the fact that your only save the baby option as Alestair is secreting him away and then getting yourself killed for no reason. Like there's no option to just lie to Cersei and say hey you know your sociopath adjutant who ruined your plan to make himself a lawful heir of my feif? Yeah he totally lied to you about the Targ baby, it died awhile back. But instead you have to sit by the iron throne and smug-face tell Cersei when she shows up 'hahaha I have ruined all your plans and targbaby has escaped.'

cmykjester posted:

I'm so excited for the Witcher 3. I'm thinking about trying a insane mode play through in the Witcher 2. Does anyone have any tips before I start?

I already wrote up other sections on this somewhere in this tread so I'll try to keep this short(er.)

-Be paranoid especially in act 1. But even in act 3 you can get wrecked hard by gargoyle backstabs ect. In the first act even nekkers can kill you easily. Also remember what can kill you pretty much instantly from full HP in any given act. like the greater rotfiend in the caves in act1.
-Do all the noncombat quests first to get your exp up.
-Take all the items you can and store them to make stuff and also for monies.
-Probably get at least the 50% backstab reduction ability. and definitely get at least 1 level of the swordsman leap.
-Anytime you are out in an area with monsters be constantly drinking potions. And use the invisible magic spots that give you buffs.
-A save transfer from W1 with equipment is useful.
-Bombs and knives are very useful. The large necker mass in one of the act 1 caves can get wrecked with about 10 bombs. Any boss or large creature you don't feel comfortable fighting(like act1 troll) just bomb or knife it to death.
-Be sure to abuse quen as well especially in act 1. Always have quen active because a single hit can mean death or life. I wouldn't even move when I was in the wilds until I had recharged vigor to get quen back. Especially important with the giant squid monster from act 1.
-Don't be afraid to reload mid combat if a fight isn't going your way. Better not to lose 20 hours of work.
-Be confident of your ability to get through the act2 sequence as the skeletons before you attempt it. It's not actually that hard you just have to use parry and potentially lure enemies 1 at a time.
-You can farm act 2 harpies on Iorveths path to get madness and power damage/str mutagens. You will gain a few levels from the exp of it too.
-If you have the alchemy spec with double impregnate you can pretty much make yourself invulnerable by the end of act 2, which will make the game a breeze from then on.
-Leave your sound on(I like to listen to music when I play) but being able to hear monsters sneaking up behind you is crucial.
-Again, I can not stress this enough, be paranoid. Be cautious. Don't do anything risky in a fight. Use them explosives instead, at least up until you are mutagened out.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

Roobanguy posted:

The witcher games are stand alone from the books. You won't be spoiled by reading the books.

You'll actually be spoiled the other way around. I mentioned how Geralt and Yennifer die together in Rivia (which is explained in the prologue of the game) on a reddit thread and everyone lost their heads. I couldn't even comprehend that a primary English speaker would jump into the books and not have even really tried the games. It's not like the novels are super well known on their own internationally.

Leb posted:

Every time I think of starting an Insane Mode run, I ask myself, "So, looking forward to the Eternal Battle?" and I just roll Dark Mode instead. Ya'll are crazy.

Eternal battle is super easy on insanity. I used double impregnation mutagens which apparently carried over to all the skeletons, but the enemies are nerfed because of my weaker default armor/weapon and inability to roll around like an idiot. So I was basically invincible for all those segments. Once you get the timing down on the running that's easy too. And you can just bomb the poo poo out of the draug.

Rdubs posted:

Bought The Witcher (1) a couple years ago on one of those "$10 and under" gaming clearance sections. All it had was the CD in a styrofoam case. Went to pre-order TW3 but can't find the product key anywhere for TW1. Not surprising given it had transformed to super-old packaging, but did anyone else who bought the budget version find a product key somewhere? Opened up the CD contents as well and checked the manual and Readme but even those were generic.

I don't so much care about the extra $5 or whatever savings but would be nice to have TW1 registered on GOG. BTW, I had no idea GOG was a CDPR venture; spread the word, everyone buy TW3 from this site so CDPR captures more margin.

You don't even get a CD key for a steam enhanced copy of TW1. There's some proof of purchase thing you can fill out on the CDPR website, but yeah for 3$ I couldn't be arsed. http://thewitcher.com/backup/ if you're interested. If I cared I could just buy it on steam and get my extra 5% off, but I would rather just spend the 3$ and support CDPR/GoG directly.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

edit2:before anyone asks, griffons are pre-conjuction creatures, so you fight them with STEEL which is why he switches to silver later on

But humans are post-conjunction, and yet you use a steel sword on them too. Like, having read all the novels(granted: fan translations for a lot of them because I don't speak Polish) I don't recall there being any real connection between the conjunction and the necessity of silver. It's just that a lot of things that came across in the conjunction are classified as monsters. And monsters can be harmed by silver. Which is a correlation not a causation.

It's like how Nivellen, a guy cursed long after the conjunction event, was not harmed by silver and thus was not explicitly a monster. But Adda, a girl cursed long after the conjunction event, could be harmed by silver and thus was explicitly a monster.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

Spite posted:

I seem to remember it being implied she fell in love with Geralt as a result of his wish. Does that still apply if she died?

She fell in love with him because of what he wished is the implication, it wasn't like a mind-control MAKE HER LOVE ME wish. Eg. "I didn't know you felt that way" So if her memory is gone, it probably wont apply. But if she regains her memory it definitely will.

Spite posted:

She's not really a nefarious character - from the books at least she's basically the 'nicest' person in the setting.

uhhh.... you mean except for: Yeah let's totally use Ciri as a tool/breeding sow in our plan to take over a kingdom and oh by the way Yennifer, I'm going to tell Ciri that you died a traitor, aiding the people that she hates. Because that will make Ciri much easier for us to control.

Spite posted:

Which may/may not mean much, but she's a saint compared to all the other sorceresses

Yennifer is easily twice as good. She selflessly tries to help Ciri. Not to use her as a pawn. But to keep her safe. And she goes to extreme lengths, even putting herself in danger to do so. She calls in pretty much all her favors, uses huge quantities of her money and Skellige's. Is even willing to go through extreme pain and suffering, as seen at the temple on Skellige. Oh and when the riots start and Ciri runs off and they know Geralt is in the middle of it Yennifer goes into 'must save them mode' and Triss goes into 'hey uh so we should probably just leave' mode

Also Fringilla Vigo is generally objectively a better person as well, just less naive.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

Helith posted:

Talk about Triss Isn't she horrifically scarred, both mentally as well as physically from the Battle of Brenna? I'm sure I remember reading about how her experiences there had had a profound effect on her and left her terrified of violence because she remembered dying and the pain and the horrific things she'd seen done to friends. I think I can forgive her being a little battleshy after that!

It was at Sodden Hill not Brenna. Sodden Hill was the first war. Brenna was the second war, which takes place over most of the Witcher novels.

She isn't that mentally scared, shes actually more disappointed that she isn't going to be going back to war. She laments that she isn't standing with them at the Battle of Brenna, because she feels that it's important to stop the Nilfgaardians, but Philipa convinces her to look at the 'bigger picture.'

Also Yennifer was at Sodden Hill, so you can't really suggest that her experience was somehow different. Yennifer was blinded in the battle, which probably means some pretty heavy facial damage, because it was nearly permanent. She likely had to regrow a lot of her face like Vilgefortz.

I am being slightly duplicitous, with my attacks on Triss's character though because she did eventually return to help Yennifer with the Rivian riots.

Spite posted:

Yeah, I didn't remember it being that horrible. But I read fan translations quite a few years ago, so the details are fuzzy. Though wasn't Triss basically just what the other sorceresses wanted? I remember her as being a pretty weak character, really - her character was basically I'M IN LOVE WITH GERALT or I'M BEING MANIPULATED BY PEOPLE. They basically used her because she was close to Geralt/Ciri and she was too naive/weak/insecure to do anything about it. She's a more rounded character in W2, I think.

"Of all evil I deem you capable: Therefore I want good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws." - Nietzche

Triss may be one of the weaker major players. At least compared to heavy weights like Sile, Yennifer, Vilgefortz. But she is definitely one of the strongest sorcs in the world. She isn't weak of strength she is weak of character(and yes I agree this is much less true in the games than in the books.) She wasn't naive and she wasn't manipulated, she knew exactly what was happening, it was even spelled out for her in black and white in a conversation with Yennifer and Phillipa. She went along with it because she believe Phillipa was right and was too weak willed to go against anything Phillipa said.

The most telling part is the conversation Triss has over the megacrystal, which she begins by immediately lying to Yennifer. In short the convo basically goes:

Yen: Are you alone?
Triss: Yes I am.
Yen: You're lying to me.
Phil/Triss: Oh haha you caught us.
Yen: If I die, clear my name for me please.
Phil: Nah, this way we can manipulate Ciri.
Triss: Why don't you help us anyways though, Yen, because we are less awful than Vilgefortz.
Yen: Yeah I planned to do that anyways, but will you at least tell Geralt I'm not a traitor?
Phil: Nah, it's better that he wont try to get revenge. Plus hes probably dead already.
Yen: Can you please save him at least? I will give you all my intel if you save him.
Phil: Nah, who gives a poo poo about Geralt.
Yen: Now you see who the lodge really is Triss. You were a big sister to Ciri, and now you'll let Geralt die?

And concludes:
‘Forgive me,’ said Triss Merigold dully. ‘Forgive me, Yennefer.’
‘Oh no, Triss. Never.’

Triss knows exactly what the score is. And she makes her choice. But then again, that's just the books. W2 Triss shows a much bigger reluctance to ruin peoples lives for the convenience of political plots.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

Leb posted:

Also, I hope I'm not the only one who's really, really hoping that Fringilla shows up in Witcher 3.

She's one of my favorite characters.

Hopefully she made it to Toussaint, and didn't end up like Assire. And I'm not just saying that because I really really want to visit Toussaint in W3.

Roshnak posted:

Also, are we still using spoilers for this game that came out in 2011, or can I drop these things?

I figure game spoilers are fine at this point. I've just been using spoiler tags for book stuff, because I realize a lot of people haven't read the books.

COOKIEMONSTER fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 12, 2014

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Really?

Because they're basically space elves that kidnap people for NEFARIOUS PURPOSES. Sounds pretty terrible to me.

they aren't space elves. It's inter dimensional refugees who fled during the conjunction of spheres. And their purpose is save the rest of the elves who stayed behind from the coming winter apocalypse. They need a source to do so because they lost the allies who helped them escape

It's kind of a huge theme with the witcher series. And if you hate the wild hunt, boy are you going to be disappointed with Ciri.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
Am I the only one disappointed by Dijkstra in the W3 game demo?

He's supposed to be a goofy looking motherfucker who dresses ridiculously; instead he's wearing pretty ordinary drab clothing. I was expecting, like, the love-child of Dandelion and Hodor.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

Cross-Section posted:

I dunno, I was reading the Blood of Elves recently, and the book's description of him being a bald-headed thuggish type whom nobody would assume to be a skilled spymaster fit pretty well with his depiction in that E3 demo. :shobon:

He's described as looking like a 7 foot tall shaved pig wearing the gaudiest most colorful clothing imaginable. And also that everyone knows he's a spymaster to the point where people just make jokes about it to his face. Although I guess if Phillipa tried to murder me I'd probably ditch the goofy clothing too.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

I just want to be able to name my save games so I know which choices I made when I import them into TW3.

I just copy pasted the saves into a folder and then put a text document in explaining the major bullet points of what save it is with subfolders for other saves. Eg:

Witcher 2 - Insanity

Aryan Spared
Gave sword to Iorveth
Went with Iorveth
Loredo Alive/Elf Women saved
Henselt Alive
Stennis Spared
Cynthia Spared/hosed
Gathered all Wild Hunt Info
Saved Triss
Spared Sile
Spared Saskia/Dragon - Still bewitched though
Saved Iorveth/Found Phillipa's Dagger
Killed Letho

Which is really something I should have thought of sooner. My Mass Effect backed up saves folder is a nightmare. Not sure if that matters for ME4 or not though.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
I figured she's another person with a vested interest in stopping nilfgaard. Plus I don't really have anything against Sile on a personal level, she's just trying to do what all the kings are doing and honestly would probably do a better job than them at it. Also she helped with the kayran and gave info on Yennifer. Also also if there's anything I learned from reading the Witcher books, it's that enemies you spare might end up saving your life further down the road.

Honestly I found Stennis and Cynthia to be much harder decisions.

The Sharmat posted:

It's just that moments beforehand she's gloating about how Geralt is going to be roasted to death.

Pretty much all the characters do that though. Henselt laughs in your face and goes 'you cant touch me' right after trying to murder you. Aryan acts like you have basically no chance against his posse. If you talk to Stennis he basically smug-faces about how you can't stop him and hes going to get away with it. Letho constantly informs you that you stand no chance against him in a 1v1 fight.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

I guess I just figured trying to kill Triss made it personal in that case when it really wasn't in any of the others you mentioned.

I actually forgot about that. But she probably assumed that Triss likely would have been killed or set free immediately post teleport. Letho wasn't really the rapist type, and he didn't need a hostage + an extra mouth to feed + they would have to keep watch on her.

It was probably an order legitimately meant just to ensure that all the Witchers and scoiatel were killed to the last man. Because they all had dirt on the lodge and one word could ruin all her plans. Pangratt and co are known for capturing and torturing prisoners for long periods of time for information and fun.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

Crigit posted:

I literally did not realize that Roche was named after Geralt's horse until I read your typo.

It's a metaphor.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

Roshnak posted:

The first game made a pretty big deal about how Witchers aren't supposed to kill Witchers, so I didn't kill Letho (more than once). I even kept Berengar alive through the boss fight in TW1, not that it made any difference, you couldn't even talk to him afterward.

"I'm a witcher no more" -Letho

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
I really didn't like the Witcher 1. I eventually beat it; while missing probably like a third of the content because I put it on too high of a difficulty expecting the gameplay to be enjoyable. And upon finding it totally wasn't just pushed through as fast as I could skipping as much fighting as possible.

I don't recall having trouble finding people to talk to though. You could always just grab a walkthrough to at least get the proper directions eg. a map with all the quest givers. Like: http://www.gamebanshee.com/thewitcher/walkthrough/overview-1.php

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
I just hope that they bring back Ciri's ice skates. Oh, or they could upgrade her to roller blades.

Nilfgaaaariansssss come out and playyyayyyyyyyy.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
I think it's ridiculous that Geralt(who appears shirtless many times) and is considered to be a great fighter but has long white hair. Which is the opposite of helpful in a fight as it both makes it easier to spot him(due to white being a contrasting color) and represents a real danger because it can be grabbed in a fight. I can't believe that in this day and age the misandrists are still making it impossible to have a male lead in a videogame who doesn't have long sexy hair like a rockstar; even when it clearly doesn't fit the characters fighter prowess.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

GrossMurpel posted:

Witcher isn't Mass Effect, your choices actually change poo poo.

If you make the wrong decisions in Mass Effect 2 it becomes impossible to save both the Quarians and the Geth in Mass Effect 3. You are forced to genocide one because of carried over variables, potentially causing Tali to kill herself because of your incompetence. I think Mass Effect gets a lot more flack for their choice/decision system than they deserve, especially considering they were tracking something like 5000 different variables.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
I'm pretty sure the vanilla swords are literally better than the dark mode ones in act 2 and 3 anyways.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
I'm not going to bother with spoilers for stuff from the games on my reply, because it's like a 3 or 4 year old game or something at this point.

Megasabin posted:

1. The Wild Hunt. Piecing it all together it seems like they are a group of elves from a different dimension who sometimes break into this universe to kidnap people for unknown reasons. Discovering said reasons will likely be one of the focal points of the next game, but theories put forth so far within the game are they capture people as A) Slaves, B) To Train as Additional Riders, and C) open a permanent portal between worlds so they can rule both worlds (this requires them capturing Ciri)? Most of the time they break into other universes using astral projections of themselves that only appear as wraiths, however on special occasions they also come in person, such as the time when Geralt met with their leader face to face to trade his life for Yennifers.

You didn't really ask a question but from an I read the books standpoint A and B are correct. The translated copies I read made it difficult to understand exactly how the Wild Hunt actually works. They describe it as a corkscrew. Like they can come into the world for limited amounts of time but are then forced back out of it. So they are never really projections of themselves, that's just magic they use when they have crossed into the world, in order to hide their presences.

Megasabin posted:

2. What was that whole bit about the Nilfgaardan intelligence agency claiming Geralt was literally a rider of the hunt. Is that what we can assume he was doing inbetween the time he was captured at the end of the Witcher books, and the start of the first game?

He wasn't captured at the end of the Witcher books. The explanation in the prologue of the videogame basically gives you what happens at the end of the books. He dies, Yennifer dies, they are taken to the isle of Avallac'h, the end(of Geralt's story anyways.) The game changes/expands on that and makes them alive by Ciri's magical powers, which are vast. But they are stranded on the magical island in Rivia, surrounded by impenetrable fog. Where he is then, in game canon, attacked by the hunt.

Megasabin posted:

3. When Geralt recovered his memories, did we ever learn how he escaped from the Hunt, and how he ended up wounded in that forest at the beginning of the Witcher 1? I doubt we did, because I feel like I would remember that.

I don't believe it's ever explained. Because he was a member of the hunt though, he likely for some reason or other remembered a bit of his previous life(Witchers are fairly resistant to hexes) and tried to escape while he was on the right side of the dimensional barrier. It is also possible that Ciri helped him escape, although unlikely as she wouldn't return back to that dimension unless she had to. It is also possible that the unicorns helped him escape, as they oppose the wild hunt and helped Ciri escape from the hunt in the books.

Megasabin posted:

4. How does this all reconcile in the timeline with Geralt being killed with a pitchfork? I thought that was his last memory, but now it seems that his last memory is giving his life up willingly to the leader of the Wild Hunt? I think I remember reading on the Witcher Wiki that in the books, after Geralt is stabbed, Ciri ends up placing Geralt and Yennefer in some type of dream world together, and then the Wild Hunt break into that world to kidnap Yennefer. Does Geralt then come back after that, find Letho, and confront the Hunt only to give his life up again? I'm having a hard time piecing the story timeline together in this regard. This is my best working theory for a timeline:

She takes them to the isle of Avallac'h, which isn't a dream world so much as a tangible place located in Rivia, but shrouded in magic and impenetrable by anyone who isn't traveling dimensionally. The wild hunt can actually only travel to very few places, which is why they need/want Ciri.

Megasabin posted:

1. Geralt Dies to Pitchfork --> 2. Ciri Banshes him and Yennefer to Dream world --> 3. Wild Hunt Breaks into this place and kidnaps Yennefer --> 4. Geralt returns to the world of living, first encounters Letho, confronts the Wild hunt and trades his life --> 5. Geralt Somehow Escapes the Wild Hunt --> 6. Witcher 1 Begins

Basically correct, just a few changes.

1. Geralt and Yennifer die during the riot.
2. They are carried to the banks of Lok Escalott by their friends, Ciri rows them across to the island using her powers to penetrate the mist.
3. Somehow she uses her powers as a source to resurrect them, or the island's magic itself saves them and brings them back(Ciri may or may not know they are even alive.)

Megasabin posted:

5. Do we have any idea how many of the different choices in Witcher 2 will go on to affect the game/story in Witcher 3? I've heard people throw around 16 endings, but then I read on IGN that this was condensed into 8 endings. If I try to think of binaries that would have to be addressed it's Sasika Lives/Dies, Letho Lives/Dies, Sile Lives/Dies, Temaria's Fate, Aedirn's Fate. That would make up 8 choices, but there's still other issues like Henslet's Fate, Stennis's Fate, Roche's Fate, and Ivoreth's Fate, which I guess would compromise another 8 choices to make 16 total.

The 4 major decisions are what gets condensed down. The major decisions are bullet marked by cartoon graphic segments. So if I remember right it's:

spare/kill Aryan Lavalette
choose Iorveth/Roach
spare/kill Henselt/Stennis
save Triss/Saskia/Foltest's daughter

There will likely be references to other stuff and smaller decisions. But those are the 4 major ones that will feed into the Witcher 3 ending from my understanding of things.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

Bort Bortles posted:

This is good to know. I am surprised saving or killing Aryan LaValette is that big of a deal? Does it matter because he explodes the castle if you let him live?

It probably has to do with the fact that the LaValette family is basically lead by Aryan, they are located in the Temerian north(eg not overrun yet,) and are one of the most powerful families therein, potentially with the heir apparent as part of their family line. Aryan is also a respected and important military commander. And Temeria is basically one of the major bulwarks defending the north from Nilfgaard. All that stands in Nilfgaard's way if you spare Aryan.

If you kill him though, his mother ends up mostly powerless to defend her lands and ends up signing an agreement with Nilfgaard. So it will probably effect who wins the war in the end, combined with other decisions like Henselt alive/dead.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

GrossMurpel posted:

Has Yennefer having crow/raven based magic ever come up besides the one she had in A Shard of Ice? I'm only halfway through the fourth novel.

Also, glad to see very high-pitched intro songs are back, I'm hyped.

I read them like a year ago, but doesn't she summon two ravens when she is in that city cheating on Geralt with the old sorcerer dude? I mean she mainly used them as a metaphor of her needing/being in love with both Geralt and the aptly named Sir Otherguy; and not as an actual magical tool for any purpose.

Also it's cool that they showed how the mages canonically cast spells using the elements, eg water and earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah that's A Shard of Ice. Pretty sure there's only bird when Geralt is in her room but considering how Yennefer can always be reached by bird, I guess there might be several.

E: I just got up and remembered that my post was dumb because OF COURSE there were two birds in the short story, one for every suitor.

Oh was that the name of the short story? I thought you were referencing the fact that in the video the raven becomes a shard of ice at the end. (and also was maybe summoned from a shard of ice, I don't remember... Probably summoned from a raindrop since they were doing the whole water and earth magic.)

• Locked thread