Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Well that gave me a total girl boner.

Novigrad is basically the New York of the Witcher-verse. Huge, sprawling city. Man, I'm excited to see how they pull that off.

Gaaahhhhhhhhhh. So excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

According to their bloke on twitter, new screen shots are being released today!

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Started playing through Witcher 2 again and I've been having a lot of crashes to desktop without an error message. Anybody have any fixes for this? I have all graphic options turned up to max except for v-sync and texture memory, Windows 7.

Also for those who are interested, the next English translation of the novels is coming out Feb 20th in the UK. You can get it on AmazonUK.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

I had this problem when I had accumulated a ton of save files. They also made loading the menu take quite a while. I went in and cleared out a bunch of old ones and the crashes stopped. They were initially stored in My Documents but at some point Steam started putting them in \userdata\[#]\20920\remote.

Thanks for that but I actually figured it out. Apparently with 32bit Win7, your virtual memory gets sapped pretty quick, causing crashes on quick saves and loading cutscenes. Luckily there is a fix by enabling Windows to cache 3gigs of virtual memory. Fixed the problem right quick!

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I have the enhanced edition on steam, and it keeps loving crashing to desktop randomly. How do I fix this? I just want to play the game!

Witcher 2 I assume?

If your game is crashing to desktop during quick saves or when loading cutscenes, it's due to a lack of cached virtual memory. This fix lets programs have 4gb instead of 2: http://steamcommunity.com/app/20900/discussions/0/864975026790425356/

That is for Win7 64bit. If you have 32bit there is a similar fix, just google for it. If you have Win8, I don't know.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

http://www.overclock.net/t/282271/how-to-fix-the-witcher-not-to-freeze

This looks like it has the fix for both 32 and 64bit versions of Vista. Hope it works for you!

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Mickey McKey posted:

Why hasnt it been translated to English yet? :psyduck:

It has. Well, some of it has. The first book of short stories, The Last Wish, and the first three in the novel series, Blood of Elves, Times of Contempt, and Baptism of Fire. I guess short story books don't sell so the second one, Sword of Destiny, is unlikely to get translated. There are fan translations online of everything, but they aren't very good. I've only read the translation of Sword of Destiny and the rest of the official translations and man, it's night and day in quality. I do really reccomend them, even if they are being released as slowly as humanly possible. Don't know why they translated them into basically every other major European language (Spanish, French, German, Russian, Italian, etc) while choosing to not do English. Maybe the genre isn't super popular in comparison to other languages?

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Sadly I'm only monolingual, so I'm stuck with the English versions. I really enjoy the English translations regardless. I'm sure they are much, much better in their original language, but the chances of me learning either Polish or Russian is natch. My sister took Russian for her final year in college (compsci) and it was easily her hardest class.

Game of Thrones makes me yearn for a similarly produced Witcher series. Though how it'd do that, I'm unsure. Episodic content ala short stories, or the long novel narrative. I know there exists a rather crappy Polish miniseries, but I think I'll skip that.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Not to mention Triss kinda took advantage of the whole amnesia thing. She was always jealous of Yennefer, and now with her out of the picture and Geralt not exactly remembering which sorceress he had a relationship with, she moves in. Kinda skeevey.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

In the games, he has a sort of unconventional attractiveness which I can appreciate as apposed to the more traditional handsome like seen in those early screen shots posted earlier.

In the books, Yennefer is also referred to as being 'unconventionally beautiful'. I never really knew how to read that to be honest. She's also one I can't really pin a good mental voice on when reading.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

The Triss/Geralt/Yennefer love triangle is handled well, I think, in the books, and look forward to seeing how it plays out in-game. Triss loves Geralt, and hates the way Yennefer treats him. But she knows she'll never be loved like he loves Yennefer. Geralt will never love another woman like he does Yennefer, and Yennefer will never love another man like Geralt, but will always keep him at arms length because he makes her vulnerable. It's like real life drama and poo poo!

Realistic characters?! Crazy!!

As a soul English speaker, it's fun to read through the slow official translations and then play through the games again. Oh hey, all these references to things I didn't know before!

Sadly, I doubt they'll finish them by the time the third game comes out. I know a basic overview of what happens, but I like all the little details. I'll be sad I'm missing them on my first play through...

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I read through all the unofficials translations last summer in addition to the ones officially translated in English, and while I'm sure much of the prose is lost in translation, the characters and story still come through. Best read I've had this side of Song of Ice and Fire. And it gave me an entire new appreciation for the Witcher games and what they were going for. If you know your Game of Thrones references, Ciri is basically Danaerys+Arya Stark.

Yeah, I'm reading through a different translation of Sword of Destiny right now. The one I read prior was a lot better, but I cannot find it for the life of me anymore. I mean, it's alright, but the dialogue can be kinda wooden and they don't translate some of the names into the established English versions. It's a kindle file so I can't just auto change words, so I gotta correct Jaskier to Dandelion mentally. Kinda annoying, but doable.

Yeah, I always compared Ciri and Arya in my head as well.

I think one of my fears about Witcher 3 is the size. A world larger than Skyrim, but with gameplay hours amounting to a lot less. To me that says a whole lot of empty ground to cover. Skyrim is just bursting with content though, maybe a little too much with caves and such every 500 feet. But I'm still afraid of big expanses of cool looking scenery with nothing really there.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

None of that is in the game though, so as far as a player who isn't familiar with the source material (which I would wager would be 99% of everyone playing the game) "who is Dandelion and why does he think he is my friend?" Show, don't tell.

Anyway game is over. Thank you walkthrough for directing me to the overpowered "kill gargoyle/dragon" sword.

But the info IS in the game, under the character information section in the journal.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Hey guys! On June 5th at 6pm GMT (that's 1pm eastern) GOG/CDPR is doing their annual summer conference. New Witcher 3 gameplay and pre-ordering info, plus whatever new stuff they're sharing about GOG. http://t.co/t6CoZJQe5w

Also, this imagine is sweet:

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Khazar-khum posted:

He really doesn't look good in a beard.

You're crazy.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Reminder: A new trailer is premiering this Thursday at 6pm GMT during CDP's summer conference.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Well that was awesome.

Also yeah, your eyes are broken if you think this looks anything like PS2.

So we have a release date and a few trailers and such. Someone want to make a new thread? Not me.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Leb posted:

Oh, sweet. So this is Dandelion at 1:42, albeit a bit older looking and with a preposterously silly mustache. Which fits, I guess.

If Geralt gets a sweet beard, it's only appropriate for Dandelion to get a doofy mustache.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Man, our cinematics people are loving ace.

gently caress yeah they are.

Hey Germain, is there any way to get any of the studio project shirts or just CDPR shirts? I want to spread the company love and a shirt is a lot cheaper than a tattoo.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Did you guys give out swag? Anyway to buy said swag from someone?

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Not sure, but probably.

Best bet on swag is the collector's edition. Pre-order more, I need a vacation (after we ship).

http://buy.thewitcher.com/

Already pre-ordered. Used some of my college refund money, so you can thank the US government for that.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

It's not just proud, really. Like I said, it's an integral part of modern Polish culture now. It's part of the school curriculum. If someone in their 20s in a casual conversation mentions they haven't read the books, the answer is usually along the lines of "What?".

I'm surprised the rights to the story hasn't been sold for a TV show or movie. I mean, I know that old tv series exists, but you'd think they'd want something new. GoT is super popular, why not Witcher? It could totally work.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Well, there are kinda story reasons for Ciri liking fashionable, nice clothing.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Did you guys just miss my post about how Ciri has story reasons for liking nice, fashionable clothing even if it may not be entirely perfect for fighting in? Calm down.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Why would she need story reasons? It's not like women in the Witcher universe normally dress conservatively and practically. Hell, Ciri's probably showing less skin than any other female character in the series.

I dunno, I guess just because people are all "Man, look at these garbage character designs!" and there are reasons behind it besides needless sexualization of female characters.

I'll take this time to reiterate to those who haven't read the books to check them out. They're real entertaining and I think you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of the Witcher game narratives with a background knowledge of the preexisting narrative.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Also the sorceresses are crazy amazingly beautiful because of magical manipulation and use their looks to their advantage. They're going to look crazy sexy because it's a sign of their power/wealth. Sorcerers are less into the vanity and more into pure power, though there are a few in the novels that are just as vain with their appearances.

As far as Ciri, for a good long while she was a member of a troop of thieves who were known for wearing the very best clothing. They all came from nothing and wanted the very best, so they thieved and got the very best.

I really hate how tropes are deemed bad or unusable sometimes. So, someone is a damsel in distress. Well that's lovely writing and misogynistic, etc. Well what if that's what's needed in the narrative? A character is a woman, so they can never be taken captive? To do stark generalizations of tropes, you fail to look at the narrative situation and just see the story as either bad or good due to the parts its made out of. Basically, don't generalize and take each case as their own.

In this instance, I don't really know. Triss is a powerful sorceress with some hangups (magical allergies) who probably really doesn't need saving. But at the same time, she can be a bit naive and trusting, leading her into some bad situations. And being "packaged" into a statue kinda renders one impossible to act. That's not a game created thing, it happens in the novels as well.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Senjuro posted:

Tropes are tropes because they're overused. If the ideas that are overused are sexist or misogynistic and whatnot then what does it say about our media and culture? Even if you don't care about any of that then at the very least they should be avoided as much as possible simply because they're lazy and unoriginal writing.

And I agree! They should be avoided simply because it is unoriginal. But, like with everything, they need to be looked at on a case by case basis. There are always exceptions to rules.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

I believe there is a much bigger issue the thread needs to address.

Are there different beard styles?

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

The next posts better be about men. These are manly man games.

So is Geralt better with a ponytail or without it?

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Time for a new video card for Christmas! Sorry little 660, you were good but I don't know if you'd be able to handle this.

God, those faces and facial animations! Wanna play this game now.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

So the dude who made the CGI vids for Witcher 1 and 2 is going to make a Witcher movie.

http://www.thenews.pl/1/11/Artykul/179542,New-Witcher-movie-in-pipeline

Unknown yet about what format it'll take, but if it's CGI that'd be awesome.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Just wanted to put my vote in for full frontal male nudity. Equality between the sexes!

As for the AO / M rating thing, I think if the game has graphic sex that you participate in via gameplay (like, press A to thrust), it's AO.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

Didn't one of the God of War games have a sex minigame that was basically "press A to thrust"?

I'm starting to think AO is a defacto defunct category.

Yeah but the sex was completely off screen I believe? I think it was only a button prompt and a moan sound effect.

AO is pretty defunct because publishers won't let AO games get published. Most stores won't put them on shelves so if their game comes back from cert with an AO rating, they have to work with the ESRB to get it down to M. An AO game is basically doomed to fail.

Lava Lamp Goddess fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 8, 2014

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Beautiful CGI as always.

Anyway how is the OP coming for the new thread? I feel like we should be moving over there as there has been a decent amount of media released.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

I had kind of a shakeup at work so it kind of fell on my list of priorities, but things have settled down, and I aim to have it ready by Wednesday.

Awesome! Thanks for your time and effort. :)

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

NaDy posted:

So this is cool...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-06-cd-projekt-announces-generous-witcher-3-dlc-plan

Everyone who buys The Witcher 3 will get all DLC (16 parts!) for free.

gently caress yeah beard styles!

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

:negative:

I uh... I meant this Wednesday, yeah that's it.

Well you simply said 'Wednesday'. You didn't specify WHICH Wednesday it was going to be.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

But it isn't Wednesday.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

I've been waiting for someone to do that for western animation for years, and it's just not going to happen.

The problem is that chances are it would just lose crazy amounts of money. And why would a studio fund something they know would be a failure? Animation isn't cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Khazar-khum posted:

Geralt is beloved across Eastern Europe, and is gaining an audience in the Anglosphere. It could easily par for itself long before needing dubbing into English.

I was referring more to an "adult" animated film being manufactured in the US. I'd love a fully CGI Witcher movie and I'm kinda sad they aren't going with that.

• Locked thread