Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is....is that the nose from the harpy guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I thought thats what is was going to be about :confused:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lycus posted:

Never took an in-depth look at your inventory after that quest, did ya?

Now that I think about it, I did, but I never put it on because:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The stats on it aint too great though

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I had kinda been hoping for a multiplayer aspect for grouping up with a friend or two for shits and giggles, but I guess I can understand not worrying about that at all. Perhaps they will use Witcher 3's (hopeful) success to make a fully open world Witcher where you make your own witcher and oh god what am I saying it would just be a new version of WoW or something that had good graphics.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Coughing Hobo posted:

If it doesn't, I'm burning Poland to the ground.

The whole thing? :ohdear:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yodzilla posted:

Also if every quest in that mod doesn't end with Geralt boning Triss then it's not a True First Fanmade Mod.

I had to fix that for you. I mean....nerds, c'mon now.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yodzilla posted:

Hey now let's not limit Geralt's options to just one woman.

Ahahaha touche sir. I'm so narrowminded.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The flashbacks don't occur in the books. The books end with the Rivian Pogrom and Geralt's apparent death. All the Wild Hunt stuff happens in the ~6 months between that and the first game.

Question about this, spoilers just to be safe.
The Rivian Pogrom is when non-humans there start getting mass-murdered but then Geralt stands up for some non-humans, gets pitchforked and dies, then he gets revived somehow, the wild hunt stuff happens, then Witcher 1 with Geralt running from wtf with no memories right at the beginning?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah Geralt is interesting in a game sense because he's an established character in a universe where he's well known but he has amnesia and the player is left to figure out wtf. Someone basically went "Wouldn't it be cool to make a Witcher game?" and they went with the main character and continued a book series instead of making up a new character in the same universe.

drat, yeah that is pretty sweet. Probably part of its success of the game. I dislike the "OH MY GOD, <insert name> YOU ARE ONLY ONE THAT CAN SAVE US FROM THIS ANCIENT UNSTOPPABLE EVIL THAT IS GOING TO DESTROY THE WORRRLLLLDDDDDDDD!!!!" games, which the Witcher games, in my opinion, are far from.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yeah, my understanding from the flashbacks is 1265 the war with Nilfgaard ends. September 1268 Geralt takes a pitchfork to the heart in Rivia. Yennefer heals him, and they go to the Isle of Avalach to recover. The Wild Hunt carries off Yennefer, and Geralt chases them halfway across the world. He teams up with Letho, Serrit and Auckes, in 1270 and they confront the hunt, Geralt trading his soul for hers. He escapes them, losing his memory in the process, and Witcher 1 starts with him fleeing them. Witcher 2 is in 1271, and the first game takes place over a couple of months, so he can't have been with the hunt long.

Interesting. I wonder how much of this will be explained in Witcher 3. I presume a lot since it will be the culmination of the super-large plot.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

socialsecurity posted:

Like Geralt would have to pick between two women, the obvious choice is both.

The Sharmat posted:

Why does he want two women? Does he often lose them?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

"hey whoa there is 40+ new posts in the Witcher thread, I wonder wha-" :stare:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The end of my Roche's path was Geralt and Triss just wandering off. I had let Roche kill Henselt, the Dragon got impaled on a log, I killed Letho for being a bitch. The ending was very anticlimactic.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Speaking of playing through again....I was replaying going Iorveth's path and the Enhanced Edition patch broke the one wheel in Vergen that you use during the siege which ruined my save and I havent had the effort to redo everything again.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

John McCain posted:

(except perhaps The Operator, but he's hidden and optional).

The who?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SpRahl posted:

The Operator (spoilers in the link)

Hes found at the culmination of the "From a Bygone Era" quest which starts in chapter two by finding Malget's notes in his house.
In Roches path you have the option of selling them to Deathmold for cash but this ends the quest, so you need to hang on to them.
In Iorveths path the house is only accessible after you cross the mist, further unlike Roches path you have no real reason to go to it other than for the sake of exploration, so many people may just soilder through the main quest at that point and miss it.

Once in chapter three after doing some poo poo you meet the Operator and can either respec your talents or fight him.

Interesting, thanks. I did that quest when I did Roche's path and never finished my Iorveth's path game because a patch hosed my save....I will definitely have to check it out if I ever retry.

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah, I don't know what the gently caress the devs were thinking with that. I'm not sure which cause is worse, that the devs designed the fight like that and actually thought it was good game design, or that it was a bug and somehow the devs have never patched it.

On top of potions not working for the fight.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Sharmat posted:

I kind of feel bad for the number of times I've played this game. To think I used to make fun of people that played Mass Effect 2 6 times.

After a big patch ruined my 2nd playthrough when I was in Vergen (1st time doing Iorveth's path) I havent been able to motivate myself to play another :(

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Yep, still excited about this game. I wonder if there is any significance to "multi-region open world", as opposed to just open world?

I think its what Alex314 said. There will probably be a huge region that Novigrad is in, in Redania; but when you sail to the island chain (that I do not know the name of) that is off the coast you will move to a different large open region; then if you go somewhere into Nilfgaardian (sp?) territory it will be yet another different open region, ect. They will be big places with no loading screens leaving the city to go into the countryside or into a castle, but there will be a loading screen to go from Redania to Nilfgaard.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Speaking of levels, it's kinda funny how Geralt start from scratch in 2 and, presumably, 3, despite being a veteran witcher. I wouldn't want amnesia for every game but it would be cool if some specific skills from 2 carried over to the next game. Throne of Bhaal-style.

I hope they expand the skill tree that they had in 2 and let you start off with a bunch of skill points to apply as you see fit (or depend on a loaded save, I guess). So that it does not feel like you are starting from scratch but still have a reason to level. Heck, they could keep the same tree and simply let the player get enough points to have skills in every tree.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yes, this thread is pretty dead at this point; TW3 is a ways off yet and a thread for it would be mostly pointless because news is intermittent at best and there would probably not be much activity in it, either.

I do not know what to tell you about the changes, but I am fairly certain nothing major -including the length of Act 3- changed.

edit: people are posting Witcher 3 news in here when it pops up, though, so if you are looking for stuff on it keep the thread bookmarked and watch for activity.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

"I am going to read into one screenshot of an unreleased game really hard."

Ravenfood you do have a good point but if you played Witcher 2 you would know that most opponents do not have that much armor on, and we have literally zero context about that screenshot. Also some plating on the upper arms and torso does not necessarily mean "full plate".

Leb posted:

They've said as much, in fact; your saddlebags will replace/supplement the innkeeper's storage that was patched into W2.

This is awesome.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

steinrokkan posted:

I suppose I would appreciate a Witcher game that was just about Geralt roaming around the countryside and solving smaller but well-developed cases more than I do enjoy the grand-plot approach they have taken.

I am actually kind-of surprised that they have not said that they would do a 4th Witcher game where you get to make your own Witcher and it would have the ability to do multiplayer co-op with friends and be able to chose to go into a part of the world where there is PvP. It would also be possible to go purely single player, though. I think it is a great setting for it but the idea has been kinda beaten to death. And it would be hard to balance.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ice Fist posted:

If there is one developer that delivers on a promise like this, it's this one. Prolly the only developer I have any faith in at all.

Ditto. I am holding off on getting a new computer now, so I can have a better one when W3 comes out. I need a new one pretty badly but I will endure this shitheap another ~6 months so I will have more money saved to spend on parts that will be cheaper those 6 months down the road.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I never read the books and probably never will (unless down the road a good translation is done by one company, which I do not think has been done yet). In any case, I read your post and appreciate it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Palpek posted:

Just a heads-up that while the series isn't translated into English - it was released in several other languages. So for people who know Spanish/French/German - you can read the whole series professionally translated.

Spanish edition also has some pretty cool covers:

Why hasnt it been translated to English yet? :psyduck:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

I think one of my fears about Witcher 3 is the size. A world larger than Skyrim, but with gameplay hours amounting to a lot less. To me that says a whole lot of empty ground to cover. Skyrim is just bursting with content though, maybe a little too much with caves and such every 500 feet. But I'm still afraid of big expanses of cool looking scenery with nothing really there.

Supposedly they want to have more of the basic Witcher-ing to do. If they have the dynamic hunter-stalks-prey and certain creatures have certain habitats, they need a big world. I thought Skyrim was ridiculous with how much content there was in both a good and bad way. Good because some of it is really really neat; like a cave you go into that has poachers... they have lines they say to each other and there is poacher paraphernalia (including a mammoth carcass) laying around. The bad is that the good ones are few and far between which means a lot of caves and ruins are the exact same tileset without much variation with the same Draugr or bandit enemies. I say this because I get the feeling that what CDPR is trying to do will have much more variety and require more thought/observation/skill to do encounters. Also there will probably be a decent bit of "well poo poo I walked right past here and never saw this path or that moss which means this monster lives here" which will mean you will need to do more searching around/exploring/whatever. I think I have now rambled quite a bit but what I am trying to say is I have a feeling they know what they are doing and I doubt that there will be that much useless huge tracts of land.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cripes I would take one of those jobs in a heartbeat if I had any of the necessary skills. Maybe I should apply for the Audio Lead because of my sexy voice ;-*

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Megasabin posted:

There won't ever be a second play through. I only play games once.

Act 2 has two very different/distinct paths. If you are only going to play through once I think the consensus is go with Iorveth's path so you get a better idea of the bigger picture/what is actually going on.

I suggest making a save at the end of Act 1 before you commit to helping either side so you can do both without needing to re-play the rest of the game.

Just my two cents though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

If by "shill" you mean "a gentleman and a scholar" then I agree with you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I have no idea who the other photobomb is but I am guessing maybe Siegfried is one of the mounted people.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Roshnak posted:

As for the state of Temeria at the end of the game, I haven't read any of the books, but googling a map it looks like Temeria is between Nilfgaard and the huge city they keep talking about being near No-Man's Land. They could easily make Temeria largely occupied territory.

The Pontar Valley looks like it's way too far east from Novigrad to be represented on a single game map in the Witcher 3.

You found a good map and didnt link it?!? For shame.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Roshnak posted:

I think it's just the map from TW2.

Click for big.

It's supposed to be bigger but imgur is being a jerk.

I think that one is higher res than the last one I saw, thanks!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I like that the Wild Hunt are not evil super-powered assholes that have an ~~evil plan~~ to take over the world. Instead they are evil mysterious boogeymen that have an agenda, yes, but the game is not about BEING THE ONE AND ONLY PERSON HERO THAT CAN SAAAAAVE THE WOOOOOOORLD. The Wild Hunt hosed with Geralt personally and he is out to kick their butts or get revenge or whatever (havent read the books).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

cmykjester posted:

I thought the wild hunt were elves from a different dimension. Or at least they seemed like they came from a far away land where elves did not face hardship. Maybe I should just pay more attention. I'm playing through both games again right now. Only in act 2 of the first Witcher.

They are inter-dimensional elves, but I just phrased it poorly because they are mysterious and all that, but we know who they are.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

pik_d posted:

Is there any reason to not pre-order now? I know the EE version of the previous game was free so I would sorta expect it to be again, but is there any indication that there will be any other versions worth waiting for?

CDPR is the only company I would pre-order from at this point in time. They delayed the games launch by how many months to give themselves more time to perfect it? And the only "glaring" bug I remember from W2 coming out was the villagers in Flotsam not having any pants, ever (not really a bug, if you ask me....it was loving hilarious).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

beer_war posted:

Why would you pre-order anything? You have literally nothing to gain from it.

If you own Witcher 1 and 2 you do literally get something out of by saving money by paying for it now rather than later :confused: If you buy it after release it will most likely not be discounted, thus you literally save money by paying for something now that you will want later either way.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

monster on a stick posted:

Are you saying that TW3 will never be discounted after release, unlike TW2 which is currently $4?

beer_war posted:

Yes, because games in general and the Witcher games specifically are never, ever discounted after release. I'm not really losing any sleep over how total strangers spend their money, though, so I won't belabor the point.

TW2 was released on 17 May 2011, which is over three years ago. I didnt see W2 go on sale on Steam for quite a while after release. It took a similar type game Skyrim almost year to not cost $60 and was never (to my knowledge) on sale in that timeframe. So sure, if you want to be pedantic, I said that W3 will NEVER go on sale ever and pre-ordering is the only way to get a discount.

I was actually just trying to make fun of beer_war for saying "literally nothing to gain" when, earlier on this very page of the thread, I spoke my opinion that CDPR is the only company I would consider pre-ordering a computer game from at this point in time, combined with the fact that you literally DO gain something for pre-ordering IF you want the game on release and you already own the previous two versions.

If you think W3 will be discounted to $4 a month after release, then sure, wait to buy it. I want it right away because I enjoyed the first two games so much, I believe it will be a good game on release, and I will literally save 10% by pre-ordering.

I am sorry I did not explain my opinion better and apologize for any misunderstanding.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Minorkos posted:

I might be missing something, but I can't figure out why I see people praise this game for its writing. The whole setting seems to be just "imagine a fantasy world, but lovely and with made-up swears". It kind of seems like they went out of their way to make every character act like an awful jerk for no real reason. Like every peasant seems to love talk poo poo constantly for some reason. I guess it's like a cool commentary on how ~people are bad~ but I just find it kind of grating.

Even the protagonists put out some cringeworthy dialogue, like when Triss asked to be on a mission and that guy said "That time of the month?" And then later he was carrying Triss away and he said "At least I'll die holding a lovely arse!" Sounds like something I'd expect to read in Ctrl+Alt+Del or something.

Also, I wasn't able to figure out if Geralt has any personality at all. He seems to be quite liberal, but they also made him seem like an edgy badass kinda guy. But he doesn't really come off as someone with a distinct personality. He just kind of complains about everything and then does the thing he's supposed to do. I haven't read the books or played the previous game in the series. He seems very much like a Mary Sue to me.

Have you read the OP? \/\/\/

Cuntpunch posted:

Ok listen up, son. I'm going to tell you about this here Witcher 2 game. You see, you've got it all backwards and all wrong and you've spent your life in a motherfucking cave staring at shadows on the wall and I'm about to show you the poo poo that was casting those shadows and his name is Geralt of Rivia, the White Motherfucking Wolf.

You gotta step back and consider the term Role Playing Game for a minute. Now you've got your Skyrim where you're play pretending to be some nordic deathmetal singer screaming micropenis apologist drivel at dragons. They call that a role playing game but the only role you're playing is goofing around. You've got your Mass Effects and Dragon Ages and those are supposed to have roles to play, but really they're just feel good power fantasies that are like PG-rated visual novels interspersed with laserguns and dwarves. You get to choose your pathetic nerd "I read it in a Dungeons and Dragons book" stereotype and stick to it.

You gotta forget all about that, brother, because I'm here to tell you that THE WITCHER 2 frees you from the chains of your own choice. It's still a Role Playing Game but it does away with whatever sick infantile bullshit your lonely virgin mind could come up with and unzips and slaps you across the face with a big ol' Polish Dong and that dong belongs to Geralt of Rivia, the White Motherfucking Wolf. He's the titular Witcher, if this wasn't clear to you yet. And while your head is spinning from getting hit with that meaty tree trunk you get all Inception up in this poo poo and realize that HOLY gently caress I AM THE OWNER OF THAT DONG. I AM Geralt of Rivia, the White Motherfucking Wolf! The game doesn't want to give you a choice of who to be, because it already wants you to be the baddest motherfucker in the genre and once you figure that poo poo out, there's no need to concern yourself with making up your own mind about what role to play because you've already been given the best one possible.

Now it sounds like you're one of those nerds who is averse to conflict and avoids fighting and stern words. You gotta drop all that now, son, because that's not how a Witcher behaves and you're a Witcher now, that's the role you are playing, get your mind right. Witchers are kids abandoned as children to the care of other Witchers. They spend their childhoods training and I don't mean beating each other with foam covered twigs, I mean swinging real loving edged steel at each other because if young witchers die they just dump the body and replace them. loving Spartans would feel a little uncomfortable with how these guys raise kids. If that's not enough, anybody who is still in one piece gets given a loving cocktail of crazy poo poo and I'm not talking the Appletinis you order with the rest of the secretarial pool on Fridays, I'm talking the equivalent of Agent Orange laced with Ebola and all these lucky fucks who didn't maim themselves learning to swing a sword probably die as this poo poo rends their very genes apart. But you're Geralt of Rivia, the White Motherfucking Wolf and the fact that you're here playing this game means you obviously didn't die. You got turned into this bonkers mutant superhuman with reflexes and strength that would make Shepherd or the Dovakhin need a diaper change. You're now a one man loving killing machine who makes bank by killing the poo poo those loving peasants and soldiers and other mercenaries run right away from. Manticores who just slaughtered thirty men poo poo their liony britches when a Witcher comes around. And you're a Witcher, you're the bad motherfucker who is going to kill that poo poo and get paid.

I think you might be getting the gist of poo poo, now, you might be catching on to what I'm trying to illuminate. So I've got some good news and some bad news. The bad news here is that given that you're a terrifying ubermensch, the common plebes don't trust you and kind of don't like you. So they're kind of downright unkind in most cases. This means you ain't really got many friends and you have a whole enormous pile of enemies. But you're good at what you do, and a lot of these bastards will put aside their desire to retch at the sight of you and manipulate you for favors. You're going to have to make some hard choices between bastards and other bastards. The good news is that that potion that stripped the weakness out of you? That poo poo also salted your earth and by that I mean your balls and by that I mean you're loving sterile do I have to spell it out for you? Geralt of Rivia, the White Motherfucking Wolf isn't a man who dilly dallies and spends a hundred and thirty hours wooing a masked alien with an autoimmune disorder to get a peck on the cheek. He's suave as gently caress and that means YOU are suave as gently caress and you get to learn about real people relationships now and how real adults behave. I'm going to leave it at that because Ask/Tell is the other way if you need to understand what I'm getting at and your goddamn parents should have covered all this with you a long time ago - it's not my responsibility, goddammit.

Basically what I'm saying here is that you're playing the baddest motherfucker in one of the best games and don't you dare ruin it by trying to turn him into hide-in-the-shadows craven fool.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

beer_war posted:

I wouldn't worry about mods for your first playthrough, there aren't any "essential" mods for W2. If you do want to check out the existing mods, look over here: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/

I would suggest a carry weight mod simply so he wouldnt have to deal with inventory management. Because inventory management can be a pain when it is your first time through and you have no idea what you will want/need down the road. Other than that I dont think it needs any mods.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Coughing Hobo posted:

And no, FCR2 is poo poo.

Confirming this. It is Real Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I don't think it's total trash, it's got some good stuff, but it's definitely a mod and feels like a mod.

Fair enough. I was saying that from a "should I install a mod for my first playthrough?" perspective, which I definitely would not recommend.

• Locked thread