Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Did anything really great come out of the modding tools for Witcher 1? It feels like the Witcher series should have a devout fanbase of nerds who churn out good mods. But I've never heard of Witcher mods being a thing like, say, Elder Scrolls mods (obviously a lot more popular series but still).

Have any mods been done? 90% the fun of NWN/2 was the mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

The Sharmat posted:

That's rather depressing. Is each book worst than the last? I got some serious :smith: and occasional :unsmith: from the first two. Things like Renfri's story in Last Wish. If it goes downhill from here is it still worth reading, considering it looks like I can only continue via fan translation? Although the latter part may not be that big a burden since Blood of Elves seems to have been about the same quality as the better fan translations of Sword of Destiny.

EDIT: Gave up and checked out the fan translation of Times of Contempt and...ugh. This is absolutely awful. It reads like it was run through an online translator and then left alone. I can't do this.

The big problem with 'Times of Contempt' isn't the translation as much as it is the plot. It is impossible to give a gently caress about the various political poo poo because we're never given a reason to care. And realistically, Geralt works for whoever pays him, so as long as they don't arrest him he really has no stake in politics. Yennefer not telling Geralt what was going on at the wizard's convention didn't help, either. But the biggest problem, for me, is Ciri. If I wanted to read about Ciri, I would buy a book about Ciri. In a book that's supposed to be about Geralt, at least half is devoted to Ciri.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Cityinthesea posted:

They've mentioned No Man's Land (along with Skellige and Novigrad), and since only the first book is out and that deals a lot with Cintra... is that the No Man's Land? It would make sense, since it's close to Novigrad and the Skellige Islands. I didn't see no man's land on any of the maps I looked at.

There are fan translations of the other books online.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

The Sharmat posted:

They vary widely in quality though. I found book 4 unreadable.

The fan translations are labors of love. Just like every other fannish thing, sadly. I did kind of wonder what was going on, and why, and while the translations sort of get you there, there's a major disconnect between the storyline and what seems to have been translated. A lot of things seem to be alluded to, or outright ignored, like if you really knew the story you wouldn't be hopelessly lost and wondering why Ciri can control time and space but not when it's really useful for her to do so. I hope to Christ she isn't in 3.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Yodzilla posted:

I'm currently playing through Witcher 1 and yeah I agree the soundtrack is fantastic. Do you know what song plays in the Lakeside Fields? That whole area is awesome and creepy even during the day and the music is perfect.

The actual soundtrack gives titles, but not where they play. The only obvious one is 'Silver Sword' from the Lady of the Lake quest.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Lycus posted:

This part's wrong. Yennefer was struck down in the riot too. Ciri heals Geralt and Yennefer and teleports them to Avalach.

Not quite. Yennefer attempts to revive him with a spell that can only be used by someone fertile. It's too much for her and she dies. After the dwarves and Dandelion put the bodies in a boat, Ciri sails off with them.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

The Sharmat posted:

I haven't read all the books (drat publishers still won't translate them), but three are surely better than nothing, and I can kinda see Yennefer's appeal. She is vain and petty and conniving, but unlike say, Philippa or Sile, she has that odd maternal streak, so she's not all bad. It's going to be really hard to get her positive qualities across in the third game though, for people who have only played the games and are used to Triss. Without multiple books of development it'll be easy for players to just write Yennefer off as an arrogant bitch and turn any choice into a false one. Especially if her memory hasn't recovered. By contrast, getting people unfamiliar with her to like Ciri seems easy enough, now that she's all grown up.

EDIT: Oh and for the question no one's really addressed, RE: Why does Triss keep wanting to help Geralt find her, despite what that might mean? Triss was a close friend of Yennefer's before either of them had met Geralt. Also she's apparently just a cool person like that.

The big problem with the books is that they really aren't about Geralt. He's barely in most of them, and until the fifth one he doesn't really do anything. Most of the books focus on Ciri. That's fine, but don't call the books the 'Witcher Saga' when he's not the center of the plot.

Yennefer is a neurotic, insecure, emotional wreck. She desperately wants Geralt's daughter, but since they are both sterile that is impossible. By the fifth book she's come to realize that she wants to be with Geralt. She's been staying away and pushing him away because, like most basket cases, she doesn't really think she deserves him.

Yennefer is a very complex character.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

It has. Well, some of it has. The first book of short stories, The Last Wish, and the first three in the novel series, Blood of Elves, Times of Contempt, and Baptism of Fire. I guess short story books don't sell so the second one, Sword of Destiny, is unlikely to get translated. There are fan translations online of everything, but they aren't very good. I've only read the translation of Sword of Destiny and the rest of the official translations and man, it's night and day in quality. I do really reccomend them, even if they are being released as slowly as humanly possible. Don't know why they translated them into basically every other major European language (Spanish, French, German, Russian, Italian, etc) while choosing to not do English. Maybe the genre isn't super popular in comparison to other languages?

Considering they translate all kinds of garbage, that doesn't seem too likely. The books focus on Ciri far more than Geralt, which may be a reason. The fan translations aren't all that bad, though I suspect Book 4 is a mess in every language. A lot of it reads like a rough draft that got hurried into print, which is also true of a number of popular writers these days. Editors no longer edit.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

The english versions I've read were pretty unimpressive, but Poles I respect insist that they are really really good in Polish. It's really considered a national treasure, no joke.

I believe this and respect it. He's created the single most complex female character I've seen in Yennefer. And I wasted my 20s getting a degree in Literary Criticism, so I've read a lot of 'complex' female characters.

I think to properly translate it, they need to find a poet, someone who has a more fluid command of language than your typical translator.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Game of Thrones makes me yearn for a similarly produced Witcher series. Though how it'd do that, I'm unsure. Episodic content ala short stories, or the long novel narrative. I know there exists a rather crappy Polish miniseries, but I think I'll skip that.

The subtitles are hit-or-miss, but the show itself isn't really that bad. Yeah, they have a very low budget, but they still manage to pull some of it off. Probably the worst ones are the first two. The guy they found for Geralt looks a lot like Chris Helmsworth.

I'd use the stories and games as a point of departure. There's a lot of Geralt's career that is never covered in either the stories or books.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Nektu posted:

Well, just like the real world then :v:

Weren't the sourcerors/sourceresses in the witcher's world particularly open about their carnal desires? Something about them being rather hideous before they learned magic. Then they did learn magic, turned themselves ravishingly pretty and went wild...

Pretty much. Yennefer is really an ugly, deformed hunchback whose parents basically dumped her at sorceress school. Geralt knows this, because he can see her true form. She is not happy that he knows her secret. The others are open about their sexual needs and desires. They tend to think of Geralt as something of a conquest.

Geralt has a sentimental, romantic feeling about women in general. He treats them with deference and kindness. Yennefer and others tend to walk all over him. He would much prefer to live in monogamy with her, but their relationship is too volatile. When he is with her he is committed to her, a courtesy she doesn't always extend to him. When they're apart, he drifts from woman to woman, while she does the same with men.

The game uglied him up. He's generally described as good-looking, being pale to the point of albino, with eyes like a viper. He's an exotic alpha male with a supremely alpha job. Lots of women find that irresistable. And he's good in bed.

Short answer: he's a man's fantasy figure.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Lunchtray posted:

You can't forget that when a Sorceress touches a Witcher they give off an electrical buzz or something. So, he's a living breathing dildo for them...

Kind of a vibrating buzz, which seems to work on all women during sex.

You know, thinking of a TV show...it might be best to frame it like the old "Kung Fu", where there's the adult Geralt intercut with scenes from his childhood and Witcher training. That way the audience wouldn't be completely overwhelmed.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Geralt says Dandelion's an adult. Sort of.

Dandelion is one of Geralt's few true friends.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Hey guys! On June 5th at 6pm GMT (that's 1pm eastern) GOG/CDPR is doing their annual summer conference. New Witcher 3 gameplay and pre-ordering info, plus whatever new stuff they're sharing about GOG. http://t.co/t6CoZJQe5w

Also, this imagine is sweet:

He really doesn't look good in a beard.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Leb posted:

YENNEFER LIVES. Also this trailer looks awesome and sounds awesome and it contains awesome and awesome.

Awesome.

Sadly, though, it looks like a PS2 game.

Of course she lives. Letho told you she was in Nilfgaard.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Kimmalah posted:

Yes if you sit around and read the entirely optional books, but it's not integral to any plot or even the monster-killing quests really. Maybe the problem is just that I think their particular storyline is kind of dumb and I wouldn't mind if I didn't hate it so much.

I think the biggest issue with the books is that they're about Ciri. Sapkowski created the incredibly nuanced Geralt and Yennefer, then created the incredibly banal Ciri. Magical girls whose magic bloodline will help fix things has been done to death. Ciri is a weak version of a trite theme. Had the books focused on Geralt and Yennerfer as they trained Ciri, they would have been a much better read.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Both times I've played through W2 I 'failed' that segment. I think reloading a save resets the guard patrols, too, so you can get screwed that way. Overall I like the stealth though, it's cool they implemented that even if it isn't used much.

Agree on the arm wrestling. Wonder what sort of minigames will be present in 3? Dice poker for sure, have they said anything else?

Getting the damned arm wrestling to work was a major problem for me. Geralt really isn't an 'arm wrestling' kind of guy. He's more of a 'pound unconcious and then curbstomp' kind of guy.

Though Cicada was really asking for that.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Brumaldo posted:

Dunno, but I have a tip.
If you don't want to spend a fortune in books, just carry some random food on you and speak to the old women milling about the village. You can give them something to eat and ask for a story, to learn about monsters, or for a description of the local herbs. They might repeat themselves sometimes, but it's still better than being fleeced by merchants.

Ah, the university bookstore guys. Christ, those booksellers made me feel like I was back in college. "Yes, this book you need is only 400 gold! Oh, want to sell that book back? Here's 5 gold."

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Bort Bortles posted:

I couldnt see a Witcher game as an MMO, but I could see a version of the game where you get to make your own witcher (or sorcerer/sorceress maybe) and simply get to do whatever you want (go hunt monsters, research new bombs or potions, ect), almost Skyrim-esque. Add in up to 4 player co-op so there is a multiplayer element but stay away from MMO-land.

I'd like to see a Witcher where Geralt is just starting out and begins the Path. The books really only concentrate on a couple of years. There's a lot to explore with 2 swords and a horse.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
IS there anywhere we can buy Witcher gear,m like shirts/posters etc?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

alex314 posted:

Witcher story based on books is relatively easy to put on tv screen: you start with short, mostly contained stories, and if you get popular enough you can start Nilfgaardian invasion arc with Ciri. Sapkowski is alive and well, so there's no problem with adding more stories as your series goes.

Do it like 'Kung Fu': Interweave sections of the very young Geralt doing his Witcher training with the ongoing story. It avoids information dumps and builds interest. I would avoid Ciri as much as possible since that story arc leaves Geralt on the sidelines.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

The next posts better be about men. These are manly man games.

So is Geralt better with a ponytail or without it?

He likes keeping his hair in a ponytail. If you mess with his hair, you have problems. And if his hair gets untied in battle, well, poo poo just got real.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

GrossMurpel posted:

Speaking of adaptations, is the TV series any good?

Considering what it is, and that it doesn't have Hollywood effects/costumes/props, it's not bad. Dandelion is great, even if he doesn't look a thing like the game character. It would have been considerably better if it had stuck to the general themes/plots of the stories. It takes liberties with the stories when it shouldn't.

However, it does do some things quite well. If you know about horses, you've heard of 'airs above the ground', movements used in battle to keep the rider out of harm's way. There's a training section in one of the shows where Geralt deals with a mounted fighter. It's one of the few times I've ever seen anyone use the methods correctly in combat.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

funakupo posted:

Riding boots with heels, even some high heeled, are extremely common in almost every country. I also don't understand the complaint about wrong shoes on Ciri/Yennefer is representative of fantastical or even partially realistic setting. Current and historical fashion show otherwise.

Boots with heels were designed for riding, as they help keep your foot from slipping too far forward in the stirrup.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Nektu posted:

Do you by chance remember which episode it was (or at least which range of episodes)?

The training episodes were the first 2 or so. I'm going to say 2 or 3. The trainer consistently puts his horse into a levade, or levade with pirouette, to keep the trainees at bay.

Geralt spends a lot of time naked in the series, too.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

alex314 posted:

Supposedly their rationale for doing live action is that when people think about CGI movies they think about Pixar, and they want to do a story about killing monsters, sex and inapropriate behaviour.

So this is a chance to educate people that you can do more with animation than penguins with huge eyes.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

The problem is that chances are it would just lose crazy amounts of money. And why would a studio fund something they know would be a failure? Animation isn't cheap.

Geralt is beloved across Eastern Europe, and is gaining an audience in the Anglosphere. It could easily par for itself long before needing dubbing into English.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

The preachers always blame the Witchers for keeping the monsters at bay. Probably because the preachers often fall into the 'monster' category themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

You need to tell them to make a game with Geralt's early career, right out of witcher school.

• Locked thread