Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So how difficult is "Dark" really? I've finished the game once on normal a few months ago and am wondering if I should just start a new dark difficulty game for a second EE run.

Did quen get nerfed hard? It was my main crutch to get through difficult fights really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Why is the cinematic depth of field such a resource hog? it's just a lovely blur filter.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Finished the prologue on dark mode and am wondering if I should spec into sword this time. Or maybe I'll just go full mage/alchemist again, or will not having riposte bite me in the dick?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Got it. So how useful is dagger throwing really? I've always had trouble with it during the tutorial and never used it in my normal mode run, I guess it's worth investing though in dark mode for some annoying ranged enemies?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Any way to get the "experienced" trait when you missed the dummies in the prologue? It seems like it's the only way to get to level 30 and I missed out on the dummies of course. It seems the respawning ones in flotsam don't count?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'm having a rather easy time with kb/m, especially on all the minigames.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I just noticed that all of the witcher books have been translated into german, so I'm gonna give them a shot. I'm really interested into learning more about the world the game is set in and all of those characters you don't hear too much about in the games.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So glad I took riposte this run, made the "out of character" battles in the second act quite a bit easier.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Not that necessary really, harvestable alchemy ingredients keep respawning. Also you have the nekker cave in act1 if you need to farm.

Oh, also drop 1 point in riposte, you'll thank me in act 2.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Where the heck does TW2 put it's saves? the witcher2/gamesaves folder is empty for me, I just want to delete the 5000 autosaves the game made so far.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah, but that path is empty for me which is weird. Oh well, deleted all autosaves manually...

Also can I get out of Loc Muinne on Iorveths path? The wall I came in from is too high and everything is hostile/locked. I get the feeling I missed something outside.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Lycus posted:

I think that the only thing you'd miss is Deithwen. Did you pick that up?

Nah, I was able to finish the game rather easily with the chapter 3 dark armor set though. Level 35, specced in magic/sword arts and the mutagen bonus in alchemy.

Chapter 3 still seemed rather lackluster, even with that EE extra quest.
In my first game I went with Roche and killed Henselt, helped Triss and killed both Saskia and Letho in the end.
This time I went with Iorveth and decided to help Saskia instead of Triss and let Letho go his way.

I think I still preferred Roches path overall.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Thanks to upgrading my pc a few weeks ago I finally could crank up some settings in the game this playthrough and drat, they really made a stunning game. I still can't activate the highest texture settings/ubersampling but I still think they did a stunning job.

Also throwing people off the wall in chapter 2 with aard was the best thing in the game.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Apparently ubersampling renders each frame multiple times to provide even better antialiasing/filtering? Sounds kind of redundant to be honest. Oh yeah, I also couldn't activate either of the depth of field options, they absolutely killed my fps.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't get the diagram, but if its too late to get it after completing it, I can reload an earlier save. If the stuff I get is after the Kayran is better I may just ignore it though.

It kind of sounds like you have a problem with dodging enemies etc, they don't hit too hard really on normal. Still you might want to invest a point into DODGE ROLL then, it makes the dodge move super useful and allows easy access to the enemies back.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You can't change the difficulty, but for me endregas really aren't quite spiderlike at all. You can't skip fighting the Arachas tough.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Oh yeah, sorry about that. Been playing on dark, it's been a while since my normal run.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I think they mean the new videos narrated by Dandelion after the end of each act.

Edit: beaten. Yeah that video also didn't show for me under 16:10.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Which base difficulty does insane actually run on? Normal, Hard or Dark?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I prefer Roches path by quite a bit, especially because it gives you a more interesting Act 3. But you really need to play both to get the whole story.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'm actually reading through the books right now, finished "The last wish", "Sword of Destiny" and "Blood of Elves", working on the 4th one currently. I really enjoy the characters, especially those you meet in the games and I really hope we get to see Yennefer in the third game.

What happened to Ciri after she resurrected Geralt and Yennefer? I hope she will be in the game too if she didn't die.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I don't see why not, the game played fine for me with Mouse and Keyboard.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's very demanding, I actually upgraded my system for it earlier this year because it ran like poo poo on my old machine. Playing this at 15 fps is no fun.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The politics won't go anywhere, they're a huge part of the books and the storyline overall.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Captain Walker posted:

While I'm here, there's no way to get rid of that goofy-rear end tattoo that you get from the Blue Stripes in Act 1, is there? Triss mentioned a potion but I think she was pulling my leg.

No, actually you have to get those ingedrients for her, the alchemist in the outskirt village sells them.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

The Sharmat posted:

That's rather depressing. Is each book worst than the last? I got some serious :smith: and occasional :unsmith: from the first two. Things like Renfri's story in Last Wish. If it goes downhill from here is it still worth reading, considering it looks like I can only continue via fan translation? Although the latter part may not be that big a burden since Blood of Elves seems to have been about the same quality as the better fan translations of Sword of Destiny.

EDIT: Gave up and checked out the fan translation of Times of Contempt and...ugh. This is absolutely awful. It reads like it was run through an online translator and then left alone. I can't do this.

I'm lucky in this regard because the whole series was translated into german actually! The last book just came out in 2011 and I've read all of them by now except the last one. They definitely provide the answer why Yennefer is so important and how Geralt interacted with various characters in his past.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
To answer that spoiler question:

Given enough powerful ingredients for spells etc mages especially can regenerate whole bodyparts and burned off skin etc over time. It may take a while but if they are not outright killed they can pretty much heal themselves up over time. It is implied that Yennefer used to be a rather hideous/deformed girl before she started her sorcery training, so that's quite a change over the years.

And yes, they totally forgot about the apparently huge scar on her chest.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

The Sharmat posted:

I know they can change appearance, but magical cosmetic surgery seems a lot less invasive than the real world kind and I assumed it was a lot different than healing a major injury. And I didn't take that "Eyes of a hunchback." thing about Yennifer literally. In context I just thought it meant she was very ugly before she became a sorceress rather than actually deformed. But maybe there's more about that in a book I haven't read.

Theres a flashback scene in the 6th book (second to last one) which elaborates a bit more on her past, also you learn her actual age in that book. Im buying the last one next month, I'm kind of sad that the book series is ending. But at least the story continues in the games, even if Sapkowski actually really dropped a lot of hate about the games.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

The Sharmat posted:

Interesting. Do you mind spoiling it? I guessed she was probably in her fifties or sixties but that's just a vague feeling. Was she actually kind of deformed originally, or just ugly?

Sure thing.
She claims she is 94 years old, can't verify that of course. From the way the other flashback scene is described she was definitely born deformed because the father literally left the mother because of it.

And Geralt sort of changes over time in the books, he certainly isn't the same witcher as in "The last wish" anymore near the end. Of course the games sort of "reset" his status with the amnesia etc.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I've finished the last book tonight, we all know how it ends of course from the games. Still, that was quite a ride. Every book gets longer, I think it started at around 300 pages and the last one had 643. I'm very curious how they're gonna sell Yennefer to the players who haven't read the books in the third game. Anyways, in the later books the story jumps around from viewpoint to viewpoint quite a lot, get used to that.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

chaosapiant posted:

Is it worse than the first book, or anything from Song of Ice and Fire? Both jump around quite a bit. Did you read the translations, or the real deal in another language than English?

German translation, the last book came out in early 2011 actually! I'd say the second to last book is the worst in that regard, the last one jumps around a lot toobut stays long enough in each scene so you understand the whole story without having to think too much about it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

The Sharmat posted:

Though poor Triss seems to only get the serious relationship thing when Yennefer isn't around.

This is one problem I have with her, after reading the books she's clearly taking advantage of the whole situation at the start of the Witcher game. She's way more involved with Geralt than a lot of other characters from his past though. I think it's going to be hard though to make people who haven't read the books care about Yennefer in TW3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Senjuro posted:

Is there a downside to choosing to release Saskia from her spell over rescuing Triss? Seems like Triss ends up fine either way (thanks Letho!)

Not saving Triss yourself results in the witch hunt and everything, which can be prevented if you save her yourself and have her speak up

• Locked thread