Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Valkrye posted:

Is there a list somewhere that shows what the enhanced edition changed/added?

Here's a list of everything from the readme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Pwnstar posted:

I'm trying to upgrade to the Enhanced Edition and it wants me to redownload the whole game, is this normal?

If it's on Steam, yes.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Coughing Hobo posted:

Found another Enhanced Edition trailer to add to the OP. This one loving rocks, definitely worth watching.

[New Elements Trailer]

Holy crap. I want that music. Anyone know what it is?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Donny posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if it were original. It definitely fits the style of the rest of the soundtrack.

Found it. It's Day of Reckoning - Composer Terry Devine-King, Andrew Barnabas, Paul Arnold.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I only ever go full swords and never put a single point in anything else. Nor do I use potions or signs (I might Aard someone if I remember I can do that, but not likely.).

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Red Mundus posted:

So I've noticed that my game loads slower and slower lately and couldn't figure out why.

I then open up the load game menu and discover over 500 separate save files that I have accrued over time. I then spend the next 30 minutes deleting them all and discover my game now loads normally.

What the gently caress CDProjekt? You think you could "enhance" this while you're at it? This is a really, really stupid problem for a game to have. Why does the game save every single autosave? No, CDProjekt, I'm pretty sure I don't need a 10 hour old save from the beginning, honest.

To be fair to them though, the kick-rear end main menu theme made those 30 minutes fairly tolerable.

That's why people made a save manager. It can even backs them up for you, which zips them up nice and tight (which actually compresses the saves a crap ton; my 6MB end-game save got zipped down to 800KB, but that's because their save files are unoptimized.).

PureRok fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 29, 2012

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Mikojan posted:

Wait wait, chapter 5?

I'm 30 hours into this game and only just finished chapter 1...

Is this game really that big?

They're talking about Witcher 1. Witcher 2 only has three acts.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Vargatron posted:

I never had the chance to do the Melitele's Heart quest because at some point I have to be rear end in a top hat Geralt.

Really? I just told him that it seems to bring trouble and they handed it over to me. And I was right because it has a negative affect in it's inventory description, I believe.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Baron posted:

Yeah it was up to 500 megs! Don't know if it was because of that, or some wacky mod I had installed, but about every 3rd time I tried to load an old save when I hosed up, it would crash to desktop. I'm hoping a fresh install will fix it. :ohdear:

Just clear out your old saves. The game is trying to load each one into memory or something for the list of saves to load and it's causing the game to crash from lack of memory most likely. There are a few utilities for managing saves on the Witcher nexus. Also, they can be zipped/rared to be a lot smaller.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Captain Walker posted:

Buddy, that's the bad kind of spoiler, the kind no one knows what it's about until you've read it. Was it in response to something on the last page?

I took the plunge. It's about Ves and Henselt in Act 2 Roche path. And it does seem to be a reply to either Agent Noun or Jerusalem.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Arglebargle III posted:

Same graphical glitches popped up in Napoleon: Total War so I guess it's a hardware issue after all. Now to start the paperwork on a warranty claim I guess. :smithicide:

Well, at least you found the problem early on and not a year or two later. :unsmith:

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Space Racist posted:

I've been playing this game the past couple weeks and have Steam saves active, but I've got a new SSD on the way and am trying to get everything backed up before I wipe and reinstall everything this weekend. I dug around a bit last night but couldn't seem to find anything - are my Witcher 2 saves located anywhere on my drive, or are they *all* in the Steam cloud?

Try looking here: C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\Witcher 2\gamesaves

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Did you just recently start playing? It seems almost everyone hates the combat at first until they actually get proficient at it.

At some point it just seems to click. Also, sword skills help.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Vivoviparous posted:

But there's no save games folder

Really? I haven't used a Mac since those old Apple II they had in school when I was a kid, but they really don't store saves anywhere?

In Windows 7 they store them "C:\Users\[User Name]\Documents\Witcher 2\gamesaves". Is there no equivalent location on Mac?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
He wasn't really your enemy anyway. Nilfgaard was/is.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I find the whole "lesser of two evils" thing funny, because in the book, Geralt says this when someone brings that up to him:

quote:

“Evil is evil, Stregobor,” said the witcher seriously as he got up. “Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I’m not a pious hermit. I haven't done only good in my life. But if I’m to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all."

Sapkowski, Andrzej (2008-12-02). The Last Wish (Kindle Locations 1615-1617). Orbit. Kindle Edition.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
One look at this (:nws:) should maybe give the hint she's not entirely on the level.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Kire posted:

This fixed it for me. The thing played out completely differently when I re-did it. What a buggy, hard to control game. It's also been reinstalling 2 .net updates, every single time I play. There is seriously a 5+ minute delay between opening the game and having it start to load.

That .net thing is a bug with steam, I believe. Go into the games' folder and delete the .net installers. They are usually in some sort of "redist" folder.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

pentyne posted:

I meant the games following the book plots. The first 2 games are a minor fraction of the available stories.

I thought the games take place after the books. Also, I thought Sapkowski actually talked negatively about the games. If he worked closely with them why would he do that?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

AXE COP posted:

Is there any way to stop this game performing "first time setup" every single time I run it? Using the Steam version if that makes any difference.

Go into the game's folder under Steam/steamapps/common and find the redist folder(if there is one) and delete everything in there. If there isn't then delete any vc or .net installers you find.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Going with Roche is the neutral path as far as I'm concerned. He's just after the king slayer, and they have what you're after so your goals coincide. Going with the elf dude is clearly picking a side, though.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Lycus posted:

No, because both choices in Act 1 are about getting someone to take you to Aedirn to go after Letho and Triss.

I disagree. Going with the elves requires you to actively help a criminal escape from jail and help the Scoiatael. Going with Roche just kind of has you hanging out around the camp of some king. I guess you kill a complete dickbag, too, but that's kind of incidental if I remember correctly.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

MC Hawking posted:

So why does the EE on steam want to run first time setup every single time I launch the game, then hang on installing .net4 redst? I've verified my game cache and it used to be that I could just hit no on the UAC prompt and it'd launch the launcher, but for some reason now it won't even allow me to do that.

Digging around leads me to believe that I have to gently caress around with the registry to get this fixed, but feedback says that doesn't even work sometimes. Alternatively I could delete the /redist folder, but that did dick squat too. Now I'm trying to manually install the contents of the /redist folder.

What the gently caress Witcher 2? Why are you so hilariously broken now after 12 hours of playtime?

My apologies if this has been addressed before, I only skimmed the first 8 pages of the thread. :shobon:

Edit: Issue sorta solved, I completely reinstalled the game then waited twenty minutes for first time setup to completely redo.

This is apparently an issue with 64-bit .net. Just go into the Witcher 2 folder under common in your steamapps folder and delete the redist files.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Huh. That always fixes the first time setup problems for me. Weird.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

lordfrikk posted:

Like in the end when the witch hunt ensues :smith:

What witch hunt? I don't remember that ever happening.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Oooh. Maybe W3 will be The West's answer to Monster Hunter! I'm not being entirely serious with this.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
It always seemed to me that Cyberpunk was coming out first.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
If you aren't going over your refresh rate (or max framerate of the game, whichever comes first), usually 60Hz, 80-90% of the time then V-Sync is a complete waste of your time and system's resources. Always disable that if you're not going over your refresh rate or want less mouse lag and don't mind some vertical tearing.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Yodzilla posted:

So I've spent about two hours with The Witcher 2 and I really don't know what to think. I'm up to the dragon attack and I kind of hate everything I've played so far. Yeah the graphics look way nicer than the original game (save for some horrible texture flicker in Geralt's hair and other places which is really distracting) but everything about the interface feels like they tried to make it work for both keyboard+mouse and controller but ended up with something that's lacking for both. Honestly I think it feels better with a controller but why can't I shortcut the inventory and journal anywhere? Why does draw steel or silver sword need to be bound to both left/right on the d-pad and up/down in the quick select menu? And what the hell happened to the inventory and journal screens? Everything was super clear in the original game and they're a loving mess now.

I'm guessing things open up at some point because this scripted crap along with the interface stuff is really getting me down. I'm undecided on the combat, I think it works fine but I honestly liked the timing element and stances of the original game. I think both have their ups and downs.

You're still in what was originally the tutorial before they added the tutorial. Most people hate this section their first time through.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
It looks to me like he's wearing a corset or something. He's getting old; he needs a corset to keep his figure in check. Little does he know he put it on too tight.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Isn't that new mod by the dev going to increase how long they last? I thought I read that in the giant changelog.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

This doesn't work. The tracker gives an HTTP Error 404.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Anyone else getting a bug with that combat mod that makes your experience bar always be full? Also, all of the text that should say parry says parade.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

The Sharmat posted:

I hated it in both and I don't see how they're all that different.

It was really easy in the first one and in the second the game cheats.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

SpRahl posted:

Pretty sure the option has been there either since the game first launched or after the very first patch.

It was there from the very beginning. I've never had the option off, so some tool tips were confusing. Like the button to dodge the dragon at the beginning. Apparently with the no hard QTEs option you just run down the bridge without having to do anything. Which is what I did. I had no idea you had to dodge it's claws or whatever.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Cirosan posted:

It's my first playthrough, and I just cleared Chapter 1 following Roche's path. I'm confused about two things that happened towards the end - forgive me if these questions are dumb.

1. When you finish the raid on Loredo's house, Geralt asks Roche why he was delayed, and then you play a section where Roche fights Iorveth in the forest. Was the implication supposed to be that the Scoia'tael raided the barge without Geralt's help and freed him? If that's the case, why was it daytime in the forest when the raid took place at night? How exactly did Roche come to face off with Iorveth one-on-one?

2. Chapter 2 opens with Geralt and Roche arriving at Henselt's war camp. Why did they come here? I was under the impression that the plan was to follow Letho to Vergen.

For number 2: They are at Vergen. It's just on the other side of the doom wall.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Overminty posted:

I had a similar problem with a different game once. Other, more graphics intensive games would run fine but this one chugged at barely double figure fps. Turned out to be a setting AMD graphics control centre software (name escapes me), specifically in my case I had told it to force all programs too use the most intensive type of anti-alias in the 3d applications settings. Changing this back to using the application's own settings fixed this. Hope this at least gives you more options to look at.

Yea, I've heard of this before with AMD/ATI stuff. Does it just randomly set these, or is it really easy to accidentally set it globally? I haven't used an ATI card since my RX800 in 2004 (back when ATI drivers were horrible).

PureRok fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 12, 2013

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I've read most of one of the books, and Triss wasn't in it, so it didn't affect my opinion on her either way. But when I played the first game I didn't like her, and that carried over to the second game.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The bottom left one in the second image is what I want Geralt to wear all the time. Except maybe with the shoes of the second row, first column one in the first image.

E: I don't think he's really gained weight. I think he's just wearing more layers because he's further south.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Wachepti posted:

north?

Or does this game take place in like, antarctica?

If you're in the southern hemisphere, moving south will get colder. From everything I've seen it's suggested that Nilfgaard is colder (flashbacks in the games, reading one of the books). Even a lot of the screenshots seem to make it look colder. Of course, it's possible it's just winter, so it's just colder because of that.

fake edit: But, looking it up, it seems there's a desert in Nilfgaard, so I guess I have no idea.

• Locked thread