Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
A Witcher 2 question: I'm gonna start my second playthrough and am wondering which crafting materials I should keep.
On my first playthrough, I stashed absoltuely everything and had something like 10,000 orens worth of materials in the chest that I never used in the end.
So, what materials should I keep for crafting/which items should I consider crafting? (crafting only, I'll probably keep all the reagents for potions and bombs around).
Oh and this playthrough will be Dark Mode so I'll need those sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lycus posted:

Off the top of my head: Keep all oil, silver, hardened & studded leather, robost cloth and diamond dust. You'll use a fair amount of cloth and leather, but not all of it. You'll use some iron and timber, but not a whole lot. You might never use meteorite ore.

Don't use Necrophage blood or skin on potions. Turn them all into oil.

I guess a better and more direct question would be: do I need to craft any armor or weapons besides the Dark Mode sets? In my firsst playthrough, I think I only crafted one armor and a sword in the last act and nothing else.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lycus posted:

Armor, no. I played dark mode only crafting the dark armors. Dark armors are way better than vanilla stuff. You'll still need armor reinforcements though.

Weapons, that's complicated. How much do you want those check marks in your journal? Money might be super tight by Act 3 if you craft all the dark swords too. Also, they're not very good. The Act 1 swords are a bit better than the best available vanilla swords, but if I remember correctly, the Act 2 & 3 swords are not. Also, the dark effect that you get when you pull out a dark sword quickly gets annoying is gently caress. So it's up to you. I eventually said "gently caress it" and stopped crafting the dark swords at all.

Good to know I won't have to focus on other armors.

About the swords: Weeper is straight up the best silver sword and Mourner is the best steel sword I can get on PC on a Iorveth playthrough, according to the wiki. So I should probably just craft those and get the mod that removes the visual effects if I absolutely cannot handle them.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lycus posted:

Oh yeah, no Dancer on Iorveth, but I think the Forgotten Vran Sword is still clearly better than the dark sword when you take effects into account. And for silver, I always go with Deithwen in Act 3 because of the dragon and gargoyle bonuses.

But yeah, go ahead and craft the Act 1 swords and see what the dark effect looks like. I hated it.

Oh, I hadn't taken effects into account. And Deithwen seems to be a great idea for act 3, indeed.
Thanks for the help!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

cmykjester posted:

Dark Mode is actually really lame to be honest. If you need money you can kill harpies over and over during during act 2 and sell the hundreds of feathers that you get (least that's how I did it)

Dark Mode just kind of sucks and adds a ton of grinding to the game but ymmv

I wanna play it mainly for the difficulty. I played through the prolog in Dark Mode once on an abandoned playthrough and it made even Hard feel way too easy.
I'm not crazy enough for Insanity so I'm sticking with Dark

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Mass Effect gets all kinds of flak for sexism, but it also has latex-clad men in it, as well as some female characters who aren't designed to look titillating. Whereas in Witcher 2, here's a male and female mage:

That's how sorcery works in the Witcher world. Blame Sapkowksi.
I like it

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I never got why so many people hated the swamp. You can just run straight to your objective, kiting all the drowners that want to eat you.
Then, when you arrive where you wanted to go, you can kill one Bloedzuiger and watch everything explode in a chain reaction :3:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Doesn't one of the newer Geforce models come with Witcher 3 for free?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

So the dude who made the CGI vids for Witcher 1 and 2 is going to make a Witcher movie.

http://www.thenews.pl/1/11/Artykul/179542,New-Witcher-movie-in-pipeline

Unknown yet about what format it'll take, but if it's CGI that'd be awesome.

Speaking of adaptations, is the TV series any good?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I can only urge you all to complete Witcher 1, it's amazing and great. Just run through the swamp while ignoring enemies if you hate it so much, until you have to talk to a dude, then just kill the bloedzuigers and everything explodes. Or wear the loving Red Ribbon. I seriously don't get stopping at the swamp.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

AxeManiac posted:

Well yeah, I should say playing as a bad rear end who says cool things verses a guy who tries to help and isn't making fun of people the entire time.

Witcher isn't Mass Effect, your choices actually change poo poo.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

There's really only one choice that makes any difference to me.

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Hung_Over

That's exactly as much of a "choice" as not killing the Troll.

Bholder posted:

I don't expect your past game choices effecting you any differently in W3 than it did in Mass Effect.

What got imported into W2 from 1 even? Raven's armor and the swords which became useless pretty much instantly, what else?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

Geralt I think at least in the games is a good guy but he's also a dick but thats what makes him so fun. Like when the elf woman complains to him that the men won't let her fight because she's a woman he doesn't go talk to the commander of the army and say pretty please he tells her to gently caress off and prove to those assholes that she deserves to be in the army then. Also his best friend is Dandelion so he's obviously a pretty cool guy.

Geralt's a good guy in a hosed-up world basically.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

If you make the wrong decisions in Mass Effect 2 it becomes impossible to save both the Quarians and the Geth in Mass Effect 3.

What. All you need is to pass a Paragon/Renegade check.
Unless you got actually managed to get Tali killed of course :lol:.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I think you guys are being way too harsh on ME because of the ending. Yes, all the endings are terrible, but there are pretty major content changes in the three games. If Wrex dies in the first one, he's replaced by a totally different character in the second game. If you save Adda in W1, you get 2 lines in W2.

I agree that W1's choices didn't matter enough in W2 but you're wrong if you think we're being harsh just because of ME's ending. The entirety of ME3 is dreary, and let's not forget those loving E-Mails in ME2 either.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

I stopped playing ME3 after realizing there was a lot I wanted to do differently in ME2 and even some things in ME1. The idea of going back and dealing with all the vendor trash in ME1 was unappealing so I spoiled the ending and saved myself 150 hours. Now that I've read the changes the Extended Cut made I kind of want to give it a chance.

As for W2, having gotten through the entire game with Roche (and not being happy with one of my major choices) and to the start of Act 3 with Iorveth before I really started hating Dark Mode, I'm still looking forward to blowing through it again on Easy so I have something to import into W3.

What's so bad about Dark Mode? I played through the prolog and killing Iorveth's troops who ambush you in the beginning of Chapter 1 on Dark Mode while encumbered was hilarious.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

I'm pretty sure the vanilla swords are literally better than the dark mode ones in act 2 and 3 anyways.

Dunno about Act 2 but the Act 3 regular swords are definitely better, taking effects into account. We discussed this a bit back when I asked what I should craft in Dark Mode.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Scandalous posted:

Dark mode woes - that first encounter in the late Chapter 2 quest Eternal Battle is ridiculous. I hadn't actually died until then, and I'm now on my 7th attempt.

I got pretty frustrated at this even in my Hard playthrough, especially since I was going for the mage tree and pretty much had no idea how to not die without rolling and spamming igni.
Do you keep your swordmanship abilities like Riposte at least?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Scandalous posted:

You keep Riposte, and I assume talent points into things like bonus sword damage and incoming damage reduction too, but god drat that fight on Dark Mode. Your NPC buddies either charge forward and die in literally one hit, or stand around in the fire, leaving you with four enemies to face. I got there eventually, but for a good while I was being pounded on with no respite. Parry one blow, and you're struck by another enemy before the recover animation even finishes, leaving you locked in place. I was also knocked back into the fire once, and got locked into the 'ouch' animation til I died.

Bitching aside, TW2 has belatedly become one of my all-time favourite RPGs and I cannot freakin wait for Wild Hunt

Yeah that's exactly what happened to me on Hard. I remember a part where either you ahd no backup to begin with or all my guys already died and I had to sloooooooooooooooowly walk for like a minute to the enemies in the distance.
I think I ended up pulling them one by one and regenerating HP between fights so they wouldn't pile on me.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

I keep hearing about this game and people either love it or hate it. Do I have to do backflips installing mods to make the combat workable or is it something you can just install and play?

I personally never had a problem with the mouse so you'll just have to try I guess. The combat is pretty normal "glued to cover" combat with your skill level deciding how good you are at shooting a weapon.

Super duper protip: go with pistols.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

Nah, all you really need is a controller. And spec in stealth/pistols, it's basically easy mode.

Why would you play a game that has a freely movable camera with a controller? Especially if you're trying to aim at heads.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lycus posted:

I remember trying to fight the Kikimore Queen the first time I played this part. I was like "What the gently caress? This is impossible." before I figured what you're really supposed to do.

I think I once fought the golem directly for fun.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I always thought the blue stripes jacket looked really silly. Why would I want to hide Geralt's luxurious mane of hair?

The worst part is that if you play the prolog, every option and flashback in the interrogation resets it so Geralt always wears it during cutscenes :negative:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Note to self: If absolutely everyone says Dark Mode armor is ridiculously expensive, maybe believe it instead of thinking "how bad can it be?"
Just bought the diagrams and I'm out of money :smithicide:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

I already found crafting to be incredibly laborious and expensive in the base game. Dark Mode had me reaching for mods.

The advantage of non-Dark Mode is that you don't need to craft anything except maybe one armor.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Cirofren posted:

You don't need to craft any of the Dark Mode arms or armor. They are there, tempting you, but they're hardly required. In Dark Mode position, aggression, and picking targets are more important than stats.

If, after a few goes, you can get to or beat the warewolf in the arena on Dark you can easily beat the entire game.

Yeah, we already discussed the best swords. I'll at leats try the armor out (except Blasphemer's gloves, I'll keep getting double the herbs instead thankyouverymuch). I'm hoping that in Chapter 2 with the harpies it gets easier to get money, because that armor has nice stats.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Haha I just tried crafting one of the swords without saving to try it out and the effect is hilarious.
And I'm also wondering whether the +25% damage to gargoyles and dragons from Deithwen is really better than the vitality drain/giving vitality to Geralt ability of the Dark Mode swords. Any input?

E: Can I just sell the diagrams after I craft parts of the armor? I won't need them anymore, right?

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 5, 2014

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

dud root posted:

The complaint is valid against say, Katarina from Dungeon Siege 3 who had stilettos and visible G-string. The Witcher outfits are much more sensible

That settles it, I'm boycotting The Witcher 3 until Triss and Yennefer are both wearing visible G-strings.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Roshnak posted:

Honestly, all of the Dark Mode equipment is unnecessary. If we're talking strictly bonuses, I would say that Weeper's is probably not worth it, since you shouldn't be getting hit and losing health, anyway, and there are a lot of gargoyles and a couple of large monsters to fight in Act 3 to make Deithwen's bonus more attractive.

I honestly can't think of a single time where vitality drain on a Dark Mode sword saved my life.

I could use the vitality drain and armor ratings of the equipment to riposte monsters (because they still hit you when you do that).

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Roshnak posted:

Yeah, they do, and it's really annoying because on Dark Mode you really can't afford to get hit that often. That's why you should never ever riposte and instead just roll away from attacks. Preferably around the back of the enemies so you can chop them.

But if riposting is in TW3 I really hope that it's consistent this time.

I riposted some Nekker Warriors and it took off like 10% of my health.
I riposted Dmitri and absolutely wrecked him without getting hit.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lycus posted:

Keep anything with fulgur.

Stuff with aether are less common in Act 1, but become very common in Act 2.

In general, I wouldn't sell any reagents because you shouldn't be that hard pressed for money and it's not like they weigh anything.
Plus, you can use them to craft a load of potions to get mutagens if you have the talent.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Roshnak posted:

Context matters, dude.

Looks to me like it was a joke :ssh:

CottonWolf posted:

I don't pretend to understand the US rating system, but I seem to remember that W2 had full frontal female nudity, didn't it?

It sure did, complete with a glimpse at pubic hair.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I sure hope not, it would be awful if dicks were somehow considered worse than tits and pussies. I forget what it is you do, but if you can get some limp dick in this game: get to it. I recently finished watching Rome and that series' explicit but dick-less sex scenes reminded me there were a couple of similar scenes in W2. That's silly.

I'm pretty sure exposed pussies are on the same maturity level as exposed dicks.
Doesn't make sense to me either but that's just the way it is. Secondary genitalia are fine but primary aren't.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

One of the GTA 4 expansions had male nudity and can still be sold in stores, so-ooooo....

Well the distinction between M and AO sounds vague as gently caress.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I ended up installing the mod that removes dark mode effects because I couldn't see poo poo during In the Claws of Madness.
Just wanted to point out that with the release of the toolkit, there's now an updated mod which removes the effects while keeping the curse mechanic in effect.
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/649/

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

I wonder if that will be corrected in TW3. I'm not really sure what a good role for it would be, since actually outright nuking stuff isn't very Witcher like.

One easier way to fix it might just be the increased monster variety, if some stuff is vulnerable to fire and some stuff isn't.

I actually hope they make signs as OP as they were in Witcher 1 again. Ignifying Echinopsae who then go underground while burning and being feared was so fun :sigh:

The Sharmat posted:

Igni is almost always the answer in TW1.

In TW2 I found it was almost never worth using unless you put a bunch of points into upgrading it. Still, Aard and Yrden and Quen were all useful even without points so you had more effective choices in TW2 than TW1 even if it still wasn't perfectly balanced.

I loved using Igni in my Mage tree playthrough. I never understood why people love Quen so much either. Why would you block your vigor regeneration just so you can take a hit that you could've just as easily evaded? :psyduck:

E: I'm rereading the short stories because I barely remembered anything from them; why the hell did Geralt bite the Striga?

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Sep 8, 2014

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Scandalous posted:

After the awesome intro cinematic in TW1 I was disappointed when I finally got Igni and it was not a sustained flamethrower. :(

Besides that I'm not sure what niche Igni fills that Aard can't cover. The in-game Signs seem to be designed around methods of crowd control and while Yrden, Axii and Quen are unique in their application, Igni in TW2 always felt like an Aard with no stun/knockdown and marginally more damage, particularly unupgraded. I dunno, maybe if it was a channeled cone attack that slowed down an enemy advance while slowly crisping them it'd feel more like it was it's own thing.

I used Igni as a pure damage dealer, barely ever used my sword, especially after the upgraded version :shrug:. That's actually why I didn't use Aard, my sword just didn't do a lot of damage in comparison.

In the short story, Geralt's using Aard, Igni can't push people back I think.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Quen is the easiest way to avoid hits early on when you're not used to the game and you don't have any parry/riposte/dodge upgrades and it kinda traps people because you use Quen because you aren't good at those things yet, but since you aren't doing those things you don't get good at them, so you have to use Quen. It's a vicious cycle. Hopefuly TW3 rebalances this slightly to avoid that trend.

You can still break out of this with a bit of willpower and after a dedicated "No Quen ever" run I got good enough at the other methods of avoiding attacks that in a normal run now where I'm not limiting myself, I still basically only use Quen for the Kayran and the Dragon.

Those potions do poo poo to you man. He's basically hopped up on magic speed.

Yeah the Dragon is the first time I ever used Quen again after the prolog. Is it actually impossible to predict his claw swipes or did I just miss something?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
That's silly because the real way to brute force in W1 is spamming Igni at everyone.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lycus posted:

Let me guess, you've only finished Roche's Path, right? ;)

Yes, I'm on my Iorveth Dark Mode playthrough now :ohdear:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lycus posted:

Just something you said gave that away. You'll get it later. :)

If it's about not using the Dragon's name, I don't want to accidentally spoil anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Is it possible to get the group finisher to work on monsters? I've tried it on nekkers and harpies so far and it only ever kills one at a time.

• Locked thread