Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Hey, game, if you're going to make Riposting a thing, at least make it nullify the attack first. I just tried to riposte a Wraith, who proceeded to instantly kill me while I was twirling my blade around. Maybe I missed the prompt? I thought I didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

At least in chapter 1 they didn't do a good job of presenting Iorveth as anything but a bandit in the woods with delusions of grandeur (like probably all bandits in woods have). Loredo was a scumbag but it sure seemed like he had the right attitude towards the Scoiatel at least in that area.
I went with Iorveth in CH1 because Roche kept asking me to do his own thing while Iorveth had some hints of being an rear end in a top hat who was right. He turns out to be as much of a bro as Roche.

Still, looking forward to a hard playthrough with Roche before my final Dark playthrough with Iorveth. I went sword/signs at release and am trying to go sword/alchemy now, anything fun I should try with my 3rd Dark playthrough?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Donny posted:

There is some serious hinting (and more than hinting) through the prologue and chapter 1 that Roche is a violent bigot barely concealing constant, seething anger at the world; however, he is a good friend and ally to Geralt, so I am also inclined to side with him over the violent bigot elf who tried repeatedly to kill me and is an actual terrorist who happens to be a good ally and strong supporter of fantasy not-crazy Jeanne d'Arc and your friend Zoltan is at least mildly sympathetic to him
fixed that one. Also, Roche never sold me on the idea that he could help me find Letho while Iorveth did.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Donny posted:

You never find out that extra stuff before your decision, though. I mean, yeah, you're ultimately right - in retrospect, I'd rather have helped Joan of Arc than King Rapey Murder.
Ultimately I picked him first because Zoltan didn't think he was terrible and because he could help me find Letho while Roche wanted to drag me into more politics than Iorveth did.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cityinthesea posted:

This is my third playthrough so I'm going down the only tree I haven't done; Alchemy. I didn't realize the talent for making bombs/traps twice as strong was one of the first things on the list... It's kinda invaluable in dark mode against Nekkers.
Every tree seems invaluable, which is nice. My first play through I went swords/signs and I can't imagine not having Heliotrope and a nice Axii/Yrden/Quen, then realized that Axii can be duplicated by Red Haze bombs, good use of parry/riposte can cover most quen situations, and Yrden shares similarities with a quick snare set after a roll.

I just can't see not putting any points into swords: None of my signs/bombs ever got good enough that I'd feel okay without wading into the fight after a few throws/casts. The other two seem much more supporting that swords unless Igni actually gets good enough to kill things really fast.

edit: Unrelately, Letho's Aard hitting for 75 is bullshit.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 24, 2012

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The Kingslayers in Arena mode are such, such bullshit. Even on normal they'll kill you in a flurry and they're always twirling their blades around like assholes.

edit: or not. They went down incredibly easy one time somehow.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 25, 2012

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
How does "Taster" work? Are you still limited by the toxicity amount but can suddenly drink 4 potions instead of three? Or does it increase your Toxicity cap too?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So, did they really lower the rate of mutagen drops in a patch? I haven't seen a single greater critical effects mutagen and I figure I'm probably 2/3rds of the way through Roche's Act2. By this point at release I'd had about 10.

Figures, if they did, since I finally decided to make an alchemy character at it seems a shame to waste all those slots.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Why did they feel the need to add Dancer to the game? In Lilies and Vipers, they have a cave that gives you Deithwen (again, in case you missed it) and an arbitrarily awesome steel sword too. At least with Caerme I felt like I worked for that damned blade, with Dancer its just "oh, I killed a few nekkers and I get a sword better than one a sorcerer-smith was thrilled to be able to make."

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

Floatsam:

Where is the dude who sells books on the Nekker/Endredga?
Dwarven seller directly across from the blacksmith should, but you can also passively gain knowledge by just killing them. It seems like ~15 kills should get you 3/3 knowledge dealies, and you only (iirc) need 2/3 to learn how to destroy their relative respawning areas.

quote:

Where can I get vodka to give to the troll? Every time I go to talk to him, he attacks me.
iirc, he always attacks you at first. Smack him around a bit and he'll start talking to you.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Reloading worked, yeah.

Additionally, where in the hell is the boat for the Act II Mystic River quest? I'm on Roche's path and heard you have to lift the mist before you can find it, but that's still not helping much.
You'll run into it on the way to Vergen.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Or just defaults to the cheapest/most plentiful. Yes, I would like to make grapeshot using the one draugr claw I have, not the 100 celandine.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SpRahl posted:

Before it was nerfed Quen charged adrenalin ridicuasly fast. But yeah now if you want to use heliotrope igni is your only hope.
My first playthrough I went sword-spec and just enough points in signs to rush to Heliotrope. They use the same adrenaline bar, so I could keep up Heliotropes constantly just by attacking dudes. I assume if your have berserk and heliotrope its the same way, so you'd just passively be gaining adrenaline because you're poisoned.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
As long as you have Riposte you can deal with it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

Also you really don't have to parry/ripsote, I never got the timing down and beat dark mode. Being a Witcher is fighting dirty, your actually supposed to use traps and bombs you get/make from looting every square inch you can reach.
If you're going for a very heavy alchemy focus, you really, really do need riposte. There is one section that would just be incredibly tedious and needlessly difficult without it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gazmachine posted:

I disagree - Axii is awesome if you time when you use it. It turns an enemy against his own men and can be brilliant if a group is approaching. Especially useful when it's a few grunts led by a more heavily armed / armoured captain, as you can Axii the captain and watch him go to work.

Red Haze is a good bomb to craft as early as you can, as it works on humans / humanoids and monsters alike.

EDIT: Also, Yrden is awesome and works on quite a lot of bosses.
Red Haze is why I won't ever use Axii. It might be more reliable, but its single-target and takes time. I could just chuck a few Red Hazes and get the same result with less risk to me and no stamina loss. I lose, what, two commonly found reagents in the process?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

You didn't, however, mention an important thing that does impact a Roche Path experience: Odriiiiiin! OOOOOOdriiiiiiiin!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG3g5Xstwco

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gort posted:

I found this really irritating in Act 1. Loads of the monsters would utterly massacre you if you tried actually staying engaged with them. Lots of times I would have to retreat whereupon the monster would "leash", refusing to follow me past a certain point. I could then throw bombs and knives and stuff at the monster with complete impunity. I could also just heal to full and go in for another fight.
You can use bombs in their combat area pretty well. The monsters in act I are pretty simple, honestly. Dodge endrega charges, hit their rear end with a heavy melee. Light swordswings to nekker, always be rolling so they don't swarm you. If you can ball them up and just keep running in a circle around them and jumping in for a quick attack and then rolling out, you're fine. If they're really balled up or you're in the cave, start chucking grapeshot like there's no tomorrow.

One enemy is a quick dodge and heavy attacks, the other is constant hit-and-run combat. I don't know, once you get the idea that you're effectively playing one of three various flavors of RPG thief, its a lot easier game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Stuns are your only real tactic. Use Yrden, knives, Aard. Bombs don't really work. Get in for some quick sword cuts while he's stunned and then get out fast. That fight is really hard.
What what Letho does to you and copy it back. Yeah, he has some pretty bullshit Aards, but hey. Aard for a few hits of your sword. Roll like crazy. Quen when he Quens, then outlast his. Bombs, knives, whatever.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lycus posted:

Honorable mention to (Iorveth's Path/Act 3)having sex with Cynthia while Triss is still being held captive for just being hilariously hosed up.
You can do that? Holy poo poo.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I was with the Blue Stripes dude, whoever that was. I must be forgetting or missing something though, I thought Triss was with Letho the entire time after Act 1.
Roche is the Blue Stripes dude, Iorveth is one-eyed-elf dude.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Chickenwalker posted:

It's not the Hunt, it's part of Sabrina's curse. If you take Roche's path Henselt tells you this outright. It's not an omen but a manifestation of the curse, like the wraiths.
Henselt may be very, very wrong about this. Its not like he has the greatest occult sense in the game, since I think pretty much anyone in Witcherland could tell you that murdering a priest and splashing his blood against a massive glyph-riddled stone on an ancient battlefield that happens to be the site of an incredibly powerful magical summoning and a very powerful curse cast by a dying sorceress might not be the best idea. It just needed to be on the anniversary of the curse, or possibly with an orphanage nearby, to utterly cement the "this place is haunted as gently caress" idea.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I must be an idiot, but I can't find Novigrad on that map. Is it somewhere in Nilfgaard and therefore not shown? If so, the area we're going to is going to be loving huge.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

It's in Redania.
Oh. Right above Oxenfurt. Well, if we're seeing that, I'm guessing all of Aedirn and Temeria gets hosed hard.

edit: vvvvv could just be a thing that happens after the invasion.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 7, 2013

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The hell? Dodging is incredibly useful, and stunlocking people is really easy. Are you actually getting off combos, or just madly clicking? And do you have points in the appropriate weapon skill? Fighting fast enemies with strong style is going to be terrible, yes. Alternatively, put all your points into Igni and just burn everything without a problem.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

They've said PC comes first and all that but it seems difficult to produce a game for multiple platforms at the same time while making one version radically different in regards to graphical quality (assuming Playstation 4 and next-gen xbox aren't going to total beasts).
Bare minimum, they'll have more than the 512mb of RAM that x360s currently have. I can see it looking as good as W2 at release based on that alone.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Leb posted:

GI keeps releasing these videos at a steady clip, but this is one is especially awesome:

Capturing The Animations And Combat For The Witcher 3

It's kind of neat seeing some of Geralt's finishers being performed by what I can only assume is a badass Pole.
I really like how they tried to make the normal soldiers use sane and normal combat techniques while Geralt does strange and awesome finishers. They're right, you don't immediately notice it but it does help set Geralt apart from his opponents.

Also, seeing the combos from Witcher1 being done by a person was pretty fancy too.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'm really interested in how parry-ripostes will now work as a skill. Also, not sure I like the removal of armors. Just keep them in for look variation, even if they're statted identically. I'm definitely willing to give it another go, though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Those all look like they'd be really awesome scenes if they removed the weird-rear end glow/color correction/something I can't really name on all of them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
It does make you wonder how long it takes to put the whole get-up on, though. Buckles goddamn everywhere.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

advokat posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone even use Axii? Other than in conversations, that is. Because I played through the whole game on Hard without ever bothering, even though I used the other four Signs and pretty much everything else a lot.
I use it against humans frequently, right up until I get enough ingredients to toss Red Haze bombs everywhere. Like Axii, but faster and AoE.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Also, in terms of long-term plot plot, there are basically three major factions. By the end of the game, you will have chosen to screw two of the three and save the remainder. The end of Act 1 determines which two options you'll be able to pick from to save (one is available on both paths).

Deciding on drama vs heroism is probably a good way to go.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Coughing Hobo posted:

Those look like Nilfgaard troops, so it'd make sense if they were in full plate.
Sure, but what doesn't make sense is that they're still wearing it. Whichever side won that fight would have scavenged the poo poo out of that armor, and if they didn't, nearby peasantry would have.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Boing posted:

Isn't this a W2 spoiler? You find all this out at the end.
I don't remember finding out that they were essentially the spectral projections of trans-dimensional elves though. I thought they were basically seen as undead from another realm coming along to kidnap people.

edit: vvvv ingame, I mean. I knew that from the books so I guess the parts where Geralt learns this didn't jump out at me.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 13, 2014

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Huh, well, guess I'd totally forgotten that. Okay then. I should really replay this game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

If it's the boss I think it is(orange dog), try using your force push if you're stuck, he's vulnerable to instant kills when stunned.
And if it doesn't work, you probably get stunlocked and die.

Not that the fight was particularly awful, but they probably should have put a savepoint at the start of it so you don't have to re-do that whole decision conversation.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Stream's up. Here's another: http://www.twitch.tv/gogcom

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I assumed the white-haired woman at ~0.50 was Ciri.

edit: Though I've only ever read Last Wish, the rest I've gleaned from the internet and other places.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

I got pretty frustrated at this even in my Hard playthrough, especially since I was going for the mage tree and pretty much had no idea how to not die without rolling and spamming igni.
Do you keep your swordmanship abilities like Riposte at least?
You do, and I will always, always grab riposte just for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Section 31 posted:

Thanks.

Also, what happen if you spend talent points on two adrenaline rush skills? For example on Heliotrope sign and combat acumen? Is one of the skills randomly get activated if you press the X button, or is it pointless to spend on two?
Both activate at the same time.

• Locked thread