Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Trip Report: It took 5 days and has given my shed a gassy garlicky smell. Hopefully the channel cats like it.

Curious how this work, I like to fish for cats during the winter but I typically use blue gill I saved and froze from summer time.

I never had much luck with livers due to keeping them on the hook and I would still love to learn more about cat fishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

hagie posted:

I want to take my kayak out so bad but 30ish degree morning weather here in NC/SC just does not sound like a fun time.

Yeah I wanted to take mine out in the Raleigh NC area on Thursday but it was 43 degrees and I tried on Friday with 75 degrees but 20+mph wind......

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I just want to get out and find the crappie already, I have a ton of oil left from Thanksgiving that requires one more use for a fish fry.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

so I guess it's unofficially official I'm moving to friggin Greenville NC in the next couple of months. The only part of it that I'm not conflicted about is that I can do fresh, brackish, and saltwater fishing all within a 30min drive :getin:

Hell yeah man you will be a hour down the road from me. Do you have a kayak?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

My Hobie tops out at 400lbs and that is a bit of weight even with gear, plus it's wide so it is comfortable to fish in.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

prom candy posted:

What's a good way to find pike in a lake? Heading to the in-laws cottage next weekend and bass doesn't open til end of June. This is in central Ontario. I've only fished up there a couple times (only started fishing last summer) and caught nothing but bass.

I always had pretty good success in upstate NY vertical jigging a spoon in the water, having a depth/fish finder helps for this.

Or just try to target LMB in heavy Lilly pads with a frog or mouse, those asses seem to love ejecting the lure out of the water and never biting.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Elmnt80 posted:

No offense taken. I knew it was probably a big ask and I'd likely spend closer to $1000-1500 to get what I want. I've looked off and on for a while, but I'm hitting a point that I need to get off the bank to fish the way I'm used to fishing. Thanks for the suggestion.

If your looking in that price range check Craigslist for anybody with buyer remorse Hobies, probably the Pro-Angler vs the Outback since the latter only has a 400lb range.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Went fishing with the kiddo and had a great day. Now I just need to figure out how to fish with her and catfish at the same time, it's a shame to let those Bluegill go to waste.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

prom candy posted:

Also, semi-serious question: I have a cheap small sit-in kayak and a shed full of miscellaneous tools. What's the bare minimum I would need to fish from it and not have a terrible time? I'm thinking at minimum I need a rod holder and a paddle holder. Tackle box can probably go between my legs. I was thinking of trying to macgyver something since right now we're using a pontoon boat and it's pretty dicey to get close to structure.

A pole holder is not needed but it is a serious quality of life upgrade to have you equipment out of the way. You can rest your paddle across your lap and if you want some gear leashes, hit up you thrift shops and grab some electronic spiral/expandable charges and some clips makes cheap and super effective gear leashes.

A good idea is to sit in the kayak, in the yard and play with layout as I personally do not like anything between my legs when I have to paddle, it just feels odd and is uncomfortable to me.

A neat way to go about it is carry the kayak on the pontoon, anchor and launch the kayak. You can carry minimum gear that way and cover lots of ground.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

A drift sock is wonderful for kayaks especially if you can rig it where it's moveable from front to back. It will easily slow your movement to a crawl so you can fish a shore line.

Tying yourself off to submerged trees is nice if that's a option.

I have a foldable anchor but I rarely use it (I honestly have not seen it in years) having only one spot anchored causes the kayak to rotate in ways I never got used to so I prefer a drift sock. If its not windy i used to use a stake out pole, that I left in Texas when I moved, those have the added benefit of no line to tangle or an anchor getting stuck.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 2, 2018

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

prom candy posted:

You guys have any fishing YouTube channels you like? I like NDYakAngler. Fishing videos are so relaxing.

I like Fisherman's Life, the dude is super relaxed, does some great trips, has nice, clean videos and is a amateur that is going out for fun. He does alot of catch and cooks with some interesting 2-3 day trips, he is based on the west coast too.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Hooplah posted:

EliasVFishing is really good too. East coast, was NYC but moved to NC recently. Lots of variety in where he fishes/what he targets, and fishes most of the time from his kayak, which is helpful as a prospective kayak-owner. Lots of catch and cooks.

I need to check out that channel, I'm in NC now and kayak fish frequently as this is definitely targeted at me.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

prom candy posted:

Next year I'm getting a fishing kayak.

Do it, you will not regret your decision. I guess my only regret is spending a ton of money to get kayaks for the whole family but that is money well spent in the long run.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I introduced my daughter to the random things you can catch last year when she hooked a 4 inch box turtle. Never heard my 6 year old scream in shock at what was at the other end of the line.

This year I'm going to try and get her kayak fishing, so more to come. Actually this year we will either be fishing in Italy or the beautiful NW depends on how the job turns out.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

My daughter wants to try and catch some carp but I'm not familiar with their habitats. What kind of body of water am I looking for?

I'm familiar with the basic rigs and pack bait/corn and I'm in eastern NC too.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

o poo poo whaddup neighbor

You should be able to snag them in any of the major rivers, but they're easier to find in a nice weedy lake.

The Goldsboro area is poo poo for ponds or lakes, not sure if the Neuse would produce carp or not. My daughter has been loving carp catching videos on YouTube and I want to get her hooked on one.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I forgot about that area, I'll have to give it a quick search and maybe a trip down there.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I have been fishing out of my Hobie Outback for a decade and would never go back to a normal kayak ever. All I fish is ponds with the occasional lake and river thrown in for fun. Having access to that style kayak is amazing for fishing, buy a good life jacket that's comfortable and go to town on those fish.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

If he has the money Hobie is top of the line. Get a Outback for rivers and lakes or a Revolution if he is going ocean fishing. If your dad really has the money a Hobie Pro Angler is amazing.

I honestly think Hobie is worth the price tag, so many of my buddies bought kayaks only to convert to fishing with a Hobie due to ease and convenience. Plus you can typically get one used online fairly easily.

Also my seat pan cracked on my 8 year old Hobie which is super out of warranty a few years ago. I called Hobie and they said get with the local kayak dealer, pay the $80 to ship the broken one back and Hobie exchanged it for a brand new kayak for free. That is amazing customer service and partially why my wife has one and my daughter will have one soon.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Great stuff, I'll push for him to get the pro. How is it moving those things to and from the water? That would be a bigger dealbreaker than the price

The pro angler is definitely a truck bed and kart situation. I load my Outback on roof racks on my Kia Hatchback easily and just drag it through the grass to get to the water, with that being said I'm a 36 year old that's in great shape, so body type will greatly impact the ease of transportation. Takes me about 15 minutes to load and secure and about 10 to unload and fit my gear and hit the water.

Having a truck turns this into a super simple process, again vehicle and body health impacts this.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

My wife and I are thinking about getting a boat, we love the kayaks but a boat sounds like fun. The the only downside is the biggest vehicle we have has a 1750 lb tow capacity which is not very much.

Anybody know of a good 3-4 person boat and trailer package that would come in around 1600 lbs or so? Fishing out of it would be awesome and I'm not worried about speed, something for the family to play on.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

^^^^^ So would I.

We are a family of 3 and leaning toward the aluminum bottom boats, maybe a fancy John Boat or a nicer one with bench seats that I can install nice swivel seats.

The boat is actually my wife's idea but she is looking at $20k Boston Whalers that we could never pull. Not sure how easy it's going to be selling her on a boat in our weight range with basic to medium creature comforts.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Going out Saturday to look at a few Lowe brand aluminum boats and I'm excited, $10k seems like a good buy in price for everything. Got a local place that has a crap ton of boats in stock. Looking at a Lowe 648 MV with a 25 hp outboard motor.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

The used boat market out here is terrible, due to the location near the ocean it's big rear end boats. Very little in the used, light weight boats. We found a few brands new boats for $10k, I prefer used over new but if you can't find them...

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

How do you find a spill way to fish? Seen some fun fishing videos on YouTube of all types of fish being caught.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Ghostnuke posted:

I didn't feel like spending any money so I just built one out of stuff I had laying around. H

Looks good and that's pretty much my set up. If your looking for some gear to keep everything attached safely in your boat. Hit up the thrift stores and buy a bunch of spiral/ stretchable power chargers and put springy clips on each side. Makes for a super cheap and effective way to keep your gear safe and secured.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Im the opposite, I'm almost solely a bait caster guy, mostly I like the compact feeling when I'm kayak fixing, I feel like they are just easier to use then a spinning reel on the kayak. Though when I'm bank fishing I love my spinning reels, so much easier and alot less to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Well poo poo, I'm on the discord server now just incase everything implodes.