Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
What was all that gibberish in the op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

lol

i guess i should not put in temporary things like this

code:

my $ftp = Net::FTP->new($site) or warn "this aint' happen" && die  ;
jesus do you do that fuckin spaces before the semicolon thing

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
:synpa:

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
:synpa:

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
lol i went to read about the new "lambdas" in java 8 today

http://download.java.net/jdk8/docs/api/java/util/function/package-summary.html
welp

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
we should do a survey of which languages have "lambdas" where you can do anything at all with the lambda besides execute it
like say determine whether or not some I/O operation will successfully run

if you can't, then a lambda is a glorified function pointer

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
something something code as data abstract machine von neumann architecture

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006

Zlodo posted:

if you need to do more things than just execute it why not pass an object instead

thats kind of the whole point of lambdas, theyre meant to be code as a first class object in the language

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
seems like they really missed a chance in java to have proper features that support the language in the virtual machine
like imagine something like const except it really means "this is immutable" and the runtime can prove that things are invariant and optimise stuff really well and all the getters and setters can gently caress off
i mean they already have a fancy managed reference type instead of a pointer into some abstract machines flat address space so why not capitalise on that
instead of make a language that barely does any more than C

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
i was going to post "countdown until someone makes a loving javascript machine" but

http://tessel.io

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006

rsjr posted:

i wanna do some web dev in the best language (java) should i use play or is there something better

stop trolling