Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
returning Boolean sounds like returning a Maybe Boolean which is an entirely useful concept, but obviously Java is not set up to make that work right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Snapchat A Titty posted:

well theoretically, they could choose a some unassigned code point and designate that as an extender that provides some arbitrary number of bits for further characters.

if a text uses the code point, its new-style unicode with the extender and the reader has to be updated.

if it doesnt use it, its backwards compatible

you might even call the extender and the further bits a pair. maybe one is a high and one is a low. maybe, and stick with me here, we call them "surrogate" because they're a substitute for the proper full value.

nah this won't work. unicode has reached its maximum size

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Athas posted:

This is why my own PL doesn't even have a character type. Mad props to those who can figure out how to implement the Unicode nonsense.

it's ez you just do whatever swift does

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

prefect posted:

what does it mean when a programming language is described as "expressive"?

e.g. Flat learning curve

Concise, readable and expressive syntax, easy to learn for Java developers

it means "delightful"

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

two wrong inferences out of two, gj

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

watch as I artis-anally craft you a code

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

we are all java beans

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

eevee is very good

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

on the off chance someone here hasn't read php a fractal of bad design, it is very enjoyable and also written by the aforelauded eevee

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

uwp is hot garbage that serves no purpose. nobody uses windows phone so uwp brings nobody new to the platform. if you already put up with wpf it is an entirely pointless reimplementation with zero attraction. having zero audience leads to decreasing support from microsoft and the death spiral of uwp

the worst that can be said about wpf is that it is competitive with ui frameworks on other platforms that have similar goals. if you have similar tastes as shaggar maybe it is the gold standard, if you're a little more circumspect it is merely fine

wpf can absolutely be improved, but uwp has no claim to that mantle. can't wait to see what the next lovely reimplementation of wpf looks like! we'll get it right this time! why is the silverlight team laughing at us?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

here is my example of pointless lovely reimplementation

this is the wpf tilebrush

this is the uwp tilebrush

are there any properties on the wpf one that seem oddly absent from the uwp one?

how about TileMode

you know, the property that controls how the contents are tiled

oh, we took that out of uwp?

so TileBrush doesn't tile

but we kept the class hierarchy for... convenience?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

but it's not totally different, that's my point. totally different might make sense

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Gul Banana posted:

the entire reason they made UWP is that the Windows division refuses to use C#.

this explains so much

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

performance reasons made them do winrt, i.e. the revenge of COM, so that u could use C++

is .net core part of winrt or otherwise reliant on it? also wasn't there some other managed c++ thing before uwp's managed c++ thing? were those deemed insufficiently performant? it's not obvious to me that wpf etc. are fundamentally incapable of meeting performance goals but idk anything

also using uwp apps doesn't make me think "hot drat this performance is super keen". I assume that bet paid off handsomely in some other way. no doubt idiotic politics and pointless emphasis on programmer comfort are benefits that the end user can confidently expect to realize any decade now

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

yeah but c++/cli was managed and c++/cx is unmanaged and this account for the screaming performance of winrt apps

I see

quote:

also some guy wrote a modern CPP projection of the winrt stuff

a what?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

that's pretty cool but I'd still rather be using wpf than anything it enables

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

actually tho thanks for explaining. when I was doing a uwp app it seemed impossible to find anything about it in this level, it was all lovely marketing level "write once run everywhere" bs

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

oh so it's like php

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

hackbunny i dont know anything about templates or c++ but I was able to follow (most) of what you were talking about there. my point is you're a good and clear writer and I enjoy your posts.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

BiohazrD posted:

* a correct opinion-haver in the audience who's about to get shaggared *

c# events are convoluted and bad!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

here is my js mongo orm:

code:

module.exports = json;

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

rjmccall posted:

i wrote eleven thousand words about some dumb bullshit that will turn swift into rust

I got like half an hour in. not only am I not done, I'm too scared to check on the size or location of the scroll thumb

it's good poo poo so far though!

also I remember asking you around ARC release whether it was for real or whether it was gonna get deprecated like gc. when you said it's for real, were you thinking of swift?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I bet most of the time it's so the spam emails and the text by the logout button can say "hello $PRESUMABLY_FAMILIAR_NAME"

which is a stupid reason

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

/I am trying real hard but I don't get it and I tried googling for song lyrics but it's hard

ty for asking I was also baffled :hf:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

flang flang flang is for fortran

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

look up the standards for C

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

rjmccall posted:

what is the most important operation in objective c, and what are its special cases?

guessing it’s retain/release, because the tagged pointer check is somehow faster if it’s the msb? turns it into a negative signed integer?

snarky commentary on guess: objc only seems to get new things for Swift bridging these days, was that the motivation for change?

objc_msgSend is my other guess but idk if that counts as an operation and I can’t think of any special cases helped by changing the bit

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

rjmccall posted:

how do you think message send works, and what are the special cases

hint: there are two of them, and we’ve already mentioned one

oh well if it was done for message send then yeah I wouldn’t think it’s motivated by Swift bridging

special cases I can think of are:

tagged pointers
nil
forwarding

I suspect you’re thinking of tagged pointers and nil, but I can’t figure out why that’s helped by changing the bit tho. it makes the special cases less than or equal to zero?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I’m sure I read that post at some point so i didn’t work that out all by myself

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

AWWNAW posted:

perhaps it is you that is the idiot here. through extensive profiling they may have found unrolling the loop by hand is trés performant

through extensive profiling I have discovered that you used the wrong accent in très

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

https://gist.github.com/lattner/31ed37682ef1576b16bca1432ea9f782

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Powaqoatse posted:

email addresses are NP hard lol

really? I'm willing to believe you but my reduction muscles are highly atrophied and my searching has failed

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Just backtrack until you find it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

a witch posted:

which of the six built in json decoders did you settle on?

programming is all about tradeoffs. right tool for the job. you can't anticipate your users' every future need. we asked that team to add just one little method we needed for our entire product but they refused! fuckers! so we wrote our own

realtalk the obvious correct decision is the one that encodes dates in the most insane way possible, ideally in a way that minimizes interoperability. congrats JavaScriptSerializer you win the prize

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

jony neuemonic posted:

fair enough. it's a shame to see them essentially start over but i probably shouldn't make "fix mono" sound like a trivial thing.

well it's Microsoft, there's either five competing internally produced products of varied viability or it's not worth doing

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

only managers believe that this is possible

wrap the code in plugins, specify the build with inert data

instead of mixing the two and hating life

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

necrotic posted:

I stopped touting metaprogramming after trying to use other people's code. What a loving nightmare and I hate that I ever liked it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

if you use metaprogramming in any sense other than generic types please explain yourself

I think I wanted to write less code

"don’t repeat yourself", "fewer lines means fewer bugs", etc. taken too far?

the mistaken belief that efficiently making GBS threads out code is of primary importance because I can only type so fast?

I can’t tell what’s more disappointing: that the only reasons I can guess at are bad, or that I don’t remember having a concrete reason for doing it in the first place

maybe my tastes changed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

redleader posted:

he admitted he was wrong though. that's progress!

for real that sounded like an interesting and mildly humbling learning experience. if it were me I’d head home feeling productive that day