Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Anal Tributary posted:

learn actual computer science concepts i guess. i mean i don't really like the idea of "learn poo poo to pass an interview," i'd like to be a better coder too.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
sounds like life is hard for you guys that sucks

maybe you should make life easier and smoke lots of weed

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
look guys the algorithms that people care about aren't that complicated

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
just lettin everybody know ruby is pretty neat

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I'm down with using 0 not being false, i dont see what the problem is. i have never run into an issue with it before

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I feel like I enjoy whatever programming language I am using the most of at any point in time. Right now I like Ruby a lot, I like Java a lot (gently caress you owns), Python, C++, Javascript, whatever. I don't get why people don't like some languages, they are all good at poo poo

Also I don't know lots of languages and have no urge to learn things like Haskell, mostly because I would rather smoke weed and chill than learn a programming language. I assume this makes me a bad programmer, but idc :colbert:

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

mod sassinator posted:

this man has never programmed in vbscript

true, i use only the most standard of programming languages

Sweeper fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 13, 2012

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

but no, seriously guys, i really do enjoy a Bad Thing

Java owns, regardless of shaggar being shaggar

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Internaut! posted:

that reminds me, so that flash guy I mentioned who interviewed at google didn't get the job but he's determined to learn the foundations of CS and whatnot so I said to get cormen and k&r but is there an accessible book that describes computer languages/compilers/runtimes, like the process from writing a line of HLL code through to it being executed

I can't remember if k&r covers compiler basics or runtime execution basics like how the stack and heap works etc, I know cormen doesn't

dragon book

(lol)

JawnV6 posted:

that spans like 3-4 disciplines and i doubt theres a single "accessible" ref that covers the entire thing, but H&P qualitative and the dragon book cover most of it

gently caress you :colbert:

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

BonzoESC posted:

no language is the best for a million loc project

projects like that don't deserve to exist

if you can't be succinct about your ideas then it's a bad idea

Some things just require a lot of code

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

BonzoESC posted:

Oh yeah, Ruby doesn't have "with" built-in; implementing it is an exercise for the reader https://github.com/meh/ruby-with/blob/master/lib/with.rb

What book/resource would you recommend for learning the details of ruby? It seems like a really cool language and I only know the basics atm

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

iamthexander posted:

wait am I missing something, how do I do myArrayList.add(myDate, myDouble); ?

lol you need to make a container object to put into the list

or add them two at a time and traverse the list in double increments whatever

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Sulk posted:

Python isn't a better option than Java for an intro course, so that's a bad decision on their part.

Should be C++, that way you really get rid of people quickly

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Gogey posted:

yeah I heard it was just worse in finance but I guess not necessarily so?

edit: also tell me how horrible cobol is all i know is basic!!!

I've interned at SIG (http://www.sig.com/) and Amazon and SIG was definitely a more stressful environment. You could tell that the smallest mistake meant losing tons of money, it turned me off working for a financial company. Amazon is a lot more laid back, but it may be a west coast/east coast thing idk

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Gazpacho posted:

haha

bwahahahahaha

it's way more laid back than SIG so take what you want from that

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

BonzoESC posted:

lol

it's true though, tef is rad as h•ck

i hope he starts to love ruby so i can read about neat stuff that ruby does

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

he could have just said html is not a regular language

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Inverse Icarus posted:

tef constantly reminds me that i'll never be a computer scientist, and that i'm really just a code monkey

a clever code monkey, but a monkey nonetheless

he'll just go off about grammars and lexical analysis and how the page file impacts performance or some poo poo and i'll just scroll past it and say "sure, yeah, good job tef"

i did that poo poo in college and never had to think about it again. every once in a while i think of going back for my masters but gently caress academia forever

I feel the same way (im closer to college, so i know the pagefile stuff yay os courses), but i dont think i really want to know that kind of stuff. it isn't what im interested in. i like systems and the coupling between them way more than i like parsing. i also like debugging code and refactoring bad code to good code, but i dont think i can get a job in just that

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

BonzoESC posted:

lmao

of course you can get a job fixing bad code

over 90% (100%) of all code ever written is bad and needs fixing

yeah but how many companies want to pay someone to fix someone elses lovely code? it seems a lot like if it works, it works

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

BonzoESC posted:

methods in java have return types, that's where it infers the signature from

if it wasn't java cause java doesn't have var??

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Apocadall posted:

while it has been enjoyable and i like the way the teaching itself is set up i have had a few people tell me that i should do more with java or learn c++ before using js because it will create bad habits

I'm not the best programmer in the world, my code is sometimes dumb and I do dumb things, but I don't like this idea that you should learn x language to be a good programmer and blah blah blah

to me programming is all about setting up problems and solving them, different languages allow you to solve problems in different ways, just identify what you think the best way is to do something and do it. if someone tells you it is poo poo, ask why and decide if it is better. if you think of a better way of doing things, do it that way. just do things the best you know how and eventually you will be a good programmer (over a longer period time)

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

JawnV6 posted:

it's not "learn x language to be a good programmer" thats stupid

it's the reverse, "languages teach you not to want what they cannot provide". like if you were chugging along in BASIC and thought BASIC had everything, the concept of the language having special features for classes that can do the heavy lifting for vtables should blow your mind. it's like opening that "computer can do that?" door all over again

i swear ill get through higher order perl guys, probably going to order a hard copy for the bookmark-guilt to be tangible

i agree, but i assumed that people were telling him to learn c++ or java because they think that is the "right way to code" and all those scripting languages are just hobby languages

i guess what i mean is you should learn about all the cool stuff in programming, but not because its in java or because its in c++. you should learn it because it is useful and teaches you a new way of thinking about problems

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
i want to read a blog that teaches me about the latest and greatest in programming languages without having to read giant white papers full of math and poo poo i dont feel like reading

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
css is the worst

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
im not looking forward to graduation and writing bullshit java code for boring projects

how do i find interesting jobs, help

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
can someone explain to me why javascript is the base language of the web, how did this happen and why didn't someone write something more like a bytecode for the web instead tia

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Milkie Galore posted:

srs q why dont you do some interesting programming cos that thing looks like a shitload of crap around whats essentially grab data from url + display on screen. i mean its not even an interesting problem from a architectural pov if you buggered the mvc up

interesting things are hard to come up with because most of programming is boring as hell. maybe i feel this way because i like designing things and i only program to see if my idea works

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

vapid cutlery posted:

i also made a goonsay app earlier

:goonsay:

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Otto Skorzeny posted:

it's not that they're automatically converted, rather it's that all numbers in javascript are double-precision (64-bit) floating point. since double precision floating point has 52 bits of mantissa, it can precisely represent integers up to 2^52, but there are no integral types of any kind

whoa

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

vapid cutlery posted:

faster than parallel C?

jit can be pretty magical

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

all programmers are bad

this is dumb and not true

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

sorry kid, it's true, every single person that i respect as a programmer will readily admit the human race is writing poo poo software at this stage of the game

that doesn't mean everyone is a bad programmer, you do the best with what you've got

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

tef posted:

https://plus.google.com/110981030061712822816/posts/KaSKeg4vQtz

you see, programming is like politics.

simplified by idiots to a range of stereotypes between extremes.

quote:

Many of the security engineers at Google happen to be fans of Ruby -- both as an intrinsically secure language, and also as a nice, expressive language for writing auditing scripts and other security analysis tools. It wound up being fairly easy for me to get security sign-off for using Ruby in production for my first project at Google. In contrast, it was almost career-endingly difficult for me to get the same sign-off from our highly conservative systems programmers.

Shaggar is showing signs of programming conservatism?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Tiny Bug Child posted:

lol, tiny bug assistant just asked me why $thing->methodCall()['index'] wasn't working

i hope its because methodCall() doesn't return an array(?)

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

tef posted:

no, it's because it does return an array. older versions of php don't support array indexing on function results.

i knew it was going to be something like this, thats just terrible lol

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

0xB16B00B5 posted:

using jvm is like ingesting poison into your body

sorry no, the jvm is awesome

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

vapid cutlery posted:

how did they ever write RCS without git

copy and paste version control

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

JawnV6 posted:

read comprehend shitpost

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

c# is ok. visual studio sucks. theirs no .net version of maven. sometimes u gotta be aware that the library ur using is actually wrappers around unmanaged code and u gotta be careful to dispose it properly. duck typing is dumb and breeds bad habits. all exceptions being unchecked is stupid.

checked exceptions are dumb in java

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

this is not a shaggar was right moment, sorry