Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

after gettin bought by salesforce, heroku has done a grand total of bupkis in new features and poo poo

the old features remain good af tho

i really wish we were currently running on heroku instead of an over-architected AWS setup for our [checks pages and pages of data reports] <100 daily users

at least we have a backend dude who seems very into managing the AWS setup and actually documents all his poo poo with graphics and poo poo so if he quits i'd actually be in an okay place to inherit it, and tbf we can scale up very cheaply once we do get more users, as well as do things like "spin up individual staging environments" for cheap

still seems very silly and i need to find out exactly why we went down this path, because i think they launched this app on EC2, which is baffling because it's a bog-standard rails app with zero special considerations. i guess being able to ssh into a persistent box is occasionally useful but mostly this is dumb!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ive been fuckin around with games lately and i think a lot just have a UDP channel and a TCP channel, and don't reinvent the wheel tooo much on the UDP channel

this is how unity works and how webrtc data channels work (tho that's using a weird-rear end protocol on top of UDP)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

my fav weird detail of fuschia is that Flutter is the first class UI framework which means loving Dart has a shot of living on somehow

what a long weird road that language has had

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

php is fine for making a personal home page, its just a shame that other people started using it for important stuff

i would even argue it's probably fine for a hypertext preprocessor!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i've probably told this story before somewhere in this forum before but i did my recurse center (then called hacker school, which turns out leads to some rough times at the border) batch with dan luu and (a) he talks exactly like he writes and (b) he is literally the fastest conversational talker i have ever met, by a loving mile. like somehow he always managed to talk at just the limit of human understanding, it was impressive and terrifying. extremely nice and normal dude tho other than just being ridiculously smart

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

carry on then posted:

is the author of corejs still looking for a job? i haven't built any js lately so i'm not sure

he's in jail for a year and a half for hitting a pedestrian with a car. i believe his defense was that said pedestrian was laying down in the street drunk

babel team doesn't have resources for a fork supposedly. there's new maintainers but i don't think they're super active

it's all very fine

Vanadium posted:

oh i guess that makes sense. still pretty sure ive seen some js stuff compile C code during "installation"

and thats just wrong

it's fine? using native dependencies in plang packages can go very, very awry in other languages (hi nokogiri) but I've never had an issue with node packages. a lot of node packages just straight up install a binary for a given platform as well

it's bad for disk space but eh

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 20, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

didn't they just put out a fuckin unity engine plugin that embeds servo or something

really could not figure out what to do with that huh

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

pokeyman posted:

agreed re: named params but only if their use can be enforced. kotlin hosed this up making them optional at each call site. it's not enough that intellij will show you the param name from the signature unless you do e.g. code review from within intellij

still mad about named params in kotlin

also my favorite method in work codebase takes about 12 bool params followed by one enum. cracks me up every time

idk what i hate more about named params in kotlin, the fact that they're optionally named, or that you have to list all of them and can't have implicitly null fields, and how this problem extends out to kotlin's data class constructors

the verbosity isn't that bad most of the time but when it's annoying, it's really annoyin, imo

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i dont understand, how can one even devops without yaml

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

dart's really fascinating to me. I always assumed it came from the GWT side of Google - yknow, the Java-to-JS framework that used to power like >50% of Google's applications that no one ever really talks about? - but I guess it just came straight from the guy who lead V8. I do believe most Dart 1.x usage happened in Google apps that used to be GWT-powered, though, like Adwords (this was back when AngularDart was a thing, which is wild to think about in retrospect. apparently it's still in active use at Google because of course it is)

fwiw, from the start, Dart had optional static type annotations (like mypy/etc); Dart 2.0 did introduce actual type soundness tho. I think it has a potentially interesting niche as a language for building apps in that isn't held back by the past sins of another language, like TypeScript with JS or Kotlin with Java/JVM (though, yes, I know there has been increased activity around native Kotlin as it gets more popular).

really, I want Swift to be that language, but obviously Apple has no interest in that. and I think Flutter is really cool, and we need to have some better cross-platform UI frameworks if we ever want to escape our web app and Electron hell. when I look at Flutter, I can't think of any other language I'd use instead of Dart, honestly. heck, because of its history, it already compiles to JS, making it the only game in town for cross-platform mobile/web UI programming other than react-native-web (whether or not this is a good thing, I dunno)

people aren't gonna do application development in rust outside of hyper performant needs like games, no one should ever be writing go for any reason, typescript is limited in performance and runtime abilities (given the erased types, if i'm using that term correctly?), kotlin native is too immature afaik, swift outside of mac/ios is too immature, and... pretty much any other languages i can think of are either bad for application development or don't have static types beyond optional annotations, not ideal in 2020

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 3, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

i hate hate hate the way Vue.js handles tests. "Oh no tests in .vue files are hard to do, just stick to only integration test websites and leave the functions in the vue files as black boxes", which would be fine but my coworkers insist on sticking business logic in them.

vue-testing-library, like all the -testing-library libs, is pretty good for this case

i also tend to err on not writing unit tests for components but i also find writing cypress tests pretty pleasant so i don't mind too much. do yall do integration tests with a mock backend or a live one? both are useful but if you haven't tried a mock backend you might want to look into it for easy testing of component states that might be hard to get into with a real backend

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

MononcQc posted:

they’re not errors as values, they’re multiple return values. that they are errors is only a convention, not even a language thing and you can freely and merrily ignore the error returned and bulldoze through incorrect states with zero-defaulted values that get set for the bad non error value anyway

i think the zero-defaulted values piss me off more than anything else in that language

love to deserialize a json blob and not know if a value is 0 because it was a missing field, set to null, or because it was 0

there's even a whole loving package just for this problem in both json and sql https://github.com/guregu/null and next time anyone makes fun of loving leftpad think about how many go apps are downloading this poo poo from github

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i can't imagine writing a strongly typed language without, like, at least a typescript-in-vscode level of features. do you at least have stuff in emacs for autocomplete, etc?

the new go language server (which is required for, like, modules support) was bad and unstable for years but i guess just got 1.0'd like a few weeks ago so maybe it's good now?

otoh i kind of regret rewriting one of my projects in kotlin (from typescript) since i'm now more or less locked into intellij for editing it, since obviously jetbrains is not going to fund developing a language server or whatever for it. intellij is fine i just hate switching editors, and because i'm using the vim plugins for both, trying to keep 3 sets of keybindings in my head at once is a loving struggle

i wonder what the state of python + mypy + vscode is... maybe rewrite #3 is on the horizon

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

it's been a while since facebook put any effort into any open source, isn't it? react native seems to have lost its internal investment, at the very least. it's kinda just react/jest left and i'm not sure how much jest work comes from facebook (i know facebook still has an actual react team, but i don't know if any of these other projects do)

are hack/hhvm dead these days

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

a year ago i tried the EAP builds of intellij for WSL2 support (which is in the ballpark of remote targeting, but actual remote targeting requires the paid version I think) and it did not work at all. I gave up and just ran intellij over X, which worked surprisingly well - helps that it's a custom java ui to begin with lol, felt exactly like a windows app other than a couple minor graphical glitches with like tooltips

this weekend, tho, i just set up a new windows laptop and got my kotlin web app running+testing inside wsl2 on stable intellij, i was pretty impressed with how far it'd come. only wonkiness is getting the correct jvm-inside-wsl selected and some really unhelpful error messages if you don't have that set up correctly. i bet if you use a lot of the special intellij plugins for java frameworks and stuff they all break but this was just normal ol kotlin+gradle (and before shaggar says anything, it supports maven just fine too, in fact it seems maven on wsl2 is much better documented than the gradle side of things)

i imagine they are working hard on the true remote targeting stuff (which includes local docker i guess) because it's a paid feature. i think they feel behind the curve on cloud stuff because they don't really have many cloud services, which is why they've been experimenting with projector (literally a technology to just run a graphical java app in the cloud and render it in a web browser, because i guess that's an easier stopgap than remote targeting across all their IDEs)

ArcticZombie posted:

Are we talking about a particular Jetbrains IDE? I use both PyCharm and CLion at work with SFTP remotes, for over a year now, and it works fine? I prefer it to the VSCode approach of installing a bunch of poo poo on the remote host.

i believe several of their IDEs have remote editing that works much better than what's in IntelliJ proper, it confused me a lot when I started to look this stuff up

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

thats how im starting every post from now on

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

90% of our backend is written in Kotlin at this point so it would have been the funniest loving poo poo in the world if we had to stop using IntelliJ

otoh maybe if that had happened there'd actually be good Kotlin tooling for other editors but uh at that point you'd also probably want to stop using Kotlin

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i'd love to read a clojure "postmortem" some time, felt like it had a ton of momentum circa 2012 and it all petered out. seemed like the last great chance for lisp

wonder if it coincides with the turn back towards static typing amongst a lot of companies

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

we're doin kotlin for our backend at work and consider the JVM to be a pretty nice thing all things considered. lotta out of the box monitoring tools, lots of library options

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i mean, on paper, turbo is the kind of frontend stuff people who dont do frontend stuff like, it puts most of the work on the server and lets you put a little js on top of what the server renders to do the interactive things people usually use heavyweight code for

unfortunately the only ecosystem where it has any traction is rails and, well, lol

also everything about turbo was about building on top of html markup so i assumed actual app code using turbo could never be particularly type-safe anyways

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

if reading papers is so important maybe they shouldnt all be formatted as two column pdfs that are annoying as gently caress to read on a computer or phone

also they should be written in language me, a college dropout, can understand. none of these drat weird symbols either. dont know how im supposed to just remember what poo poo the half-life logo means in computers

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

i never found the whole "what color are your functions" argument compelling because the await keyword is a pretty handy big syntactical neon sign saying "hey the entire world might change under your feet here" and having that called out in concurrent code is beneficial.

yeah, i have zero idea why you'd be upset by your syntax having something calling out "at this point, control flow gets taken over by your event loop"

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Plorkyeran posted:

when writing go you are required to just type continuously until your program is complete and working. pausing to ever think about design or abstractions is a sin against pike.

you'd think that go popularized microservices due its low process overhead compared to other languages, but it's actually because go is the only language where your code is written in the exact same way if you have 1 endpoint or 100 in your codebase

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

apple open sourced a DSL for configuration, because we don't have enough config formats https://pkl-lang.org/index.html

it's a language that compiles to json/yaml/plist/properties and also generates static types for java/kotlin/swift/go and has plugins for intellij/vscode/neovim. i'm sure all of these things are supported equally and everything works consistently across the board

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

mostly i just figure this is a relatively complex language to implement code generators for and keep them compatible across four languages: https://pkl-lang.org/main/current/language-reference/index.html

and i don't really have any inherent reason to trust apple with open source other than, like, they do choose to open source way fewer things than other companies, so maybe that means they'll put slightly more effort into what they do release. i'm just inherently skeptical, got burned by the official google grpc/protobuf stuff having the worst loving typescript compilation imaginable and an entire ecosystem of third party tooling exists just to replace it, and protobuf is, like, 1/20th the complexity of this format

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i do think its extremely funny that pkl has swift codegen but no xcode support

not even apple developers want to build poo poo for xcode. i assume they just open vscode to write pkl even if they're using its output in xcode

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

the new language has documentation already: https://dev.epicgames.com/documentation/en-us/uefn/verse-language-reference

but you can, uh, only use it in fortnite. that's not a euphemism or something, it only works in the unreal editor for fortnite right now, and may never come to the "real" unreal engine

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

personally if i were to write my own config format id just do file.split(\n').filter((line) => !line.startsWith('#')).map((line) => line.split('=').map((token) => token.trim())).reduce((acc, [k, v]) => { return {...acc, [k]: v} }, {}) and be done with it

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 31, 2024

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

DELETE CASCADE posted:

plists are just xml so once again apple is good

ok but when someone says "xml is fine you just need to use a better IDE" i think of the plist interface in xcode and wonder what the hell an actually good XML interface would look like because it sure as poo poo isnt that

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i like kotlin enough that i deal with it not having a maintained LSP (last i checked) because the kotlin company is also the intellij company and that's a pretty drat good IDE i'm happy enough to use, but if your language is not also made by a company that makes a top-tier IDE, it probably should have an LSP so people can use it with w/e

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

also everyones in one of three buckets

1) only uses vscode, which supports
2) uses some editor like vim or emacs which both support LSP because no one wants to write a vim or emacs plugin for a language anymore
3) is using some integrated language-and-IDE like visual studio/.net, xcode/swift, or kotlin/intellij, and thus the point is moot

i think a big thing is that if your "language support" in an editor is just syntax highlighting then lmao you need to be using a different language, and one plugins get more complicated than syntax highlighting it becomes hard to maintain them across multiple editors

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i think the text editor/IDE barrier probably is less about code editing features and more about "do you launch your application, tests, and debugger in the editor, do you use the editor's git support," etc etc

in terms of editing features, there's no reason that vscode can't be on par with any IDE if you just had a good enough LSP. like, there are zero editing features in webstorm that aren't present in vscode's typescript support

in terms of those other things i mentioned... vscode does those ok but not really as well, IME. i don't really know anyone who's gone all-in on VSCode for things like that, but maybe I'm just a luddite for still launching my dev servers and tests through the command line. I did switch full-time to using the VSCode terminal and that's been fine, no reason to use a separate terminal app anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

go seems ok for CLI stuff if you are ok writing more LoC than you ever have before in your life to do basic tasks

python -> go actually probably feels ok because python isn't exactly a succinct or expressive language either. plus you don't have to deal with packaging and runtime environment hell