Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Volte posted:

3 weeks into writing elixir full time and i dont want to write anything else ever again. i dont even care that it's dynamically typed, for some reason it doesn't seem to matter.

i wish i could write erlang full time, it's just so pleasant every time i pick it up :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
pedantic argument: nullable types (and by extension pointers) are an implementation of maybe types
if there is a value, the thing is not null; if there is not it is null

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

good luck writing a disruptive app in c++

netsec tools are cool and good

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Corla Plankun posted:

rails was really good back when only 8 people at a time visited websites

so never

i agree

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

did they just look at C#/.net and say "hmmm this looks really straightforward, it's not an appropriate replacement for win32"

you know what makes less sense but would make it easier for me to get a job in SF 8 months from now? javascript

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

objection: traipsing about ignoring byte and/or cache line boundaries is expensive
counter: GUYS ITS A LINKED LIST, C'MON

reminds me of the guy in my college calc class who disagreed with the fundamental theorem of calculus, because "what if you zoom in and it's nonlinear"

did you tell him that you already zoomed in all the way?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

gently caress I'd rather use qt creator on non qt code

i just use vim with syntastic and youcompleteme. it's pretty good.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Xarn posted:

This.

If you cannot run VS, YOSPOS!

I have VS in a VM. it's alright, I guess.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

netcat posted:

it's also, from my experience, incredibly slow and vim being vim halts everything while it tries to figure out what to autocomplete. maybe it's fine on smaller codebases.

yeah, most of the projects I work on are in the 10s/low 100s, not 1000s KLOC. on larger projects I end up turning off automatically looking for completions. I've also been working in C# a lot lately, which I use monodevelop for completion through omnisharp and doesn't suffer quite so much from that issue. if stuck on java, I use eclim which is also surprisingly nice.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

leftist heap posted:

good auto complete is insanely good, regardless of whether stupid idiots use it to grub around their garbage code bases. the argument that "well, I just write code good enough to not need autocomplete :smugmrgw:" is asinine and made by jealous plangers. meanwhile the rest of us don't need to wait till runtime to figure out we called the wrong method or got the arguments out of order or switch to the stdlib docs just because we forgot the exact name of the method that foozles bars or whatever because we use it once every two years.

I've found error highlighting way more useful generally than autocomplete/docs, but it's pretty close.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

gonadic io posted:

please don't conflate programming skill/experience/training with intelligence (or nationality) tia

cheap outsourcing shops have perverse incentives to deliver garbage even if they're capable of delivering quality.
there are a large number of these in India (for software specifically). china/argentina have similar shops for art. i'm sure other fields have similar orgs.

it's not unreasonable to conflate cost with expected quality..

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Shaggar posted:

one of c#'s greatest strengths is not running on linux.

mono is good

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Sagacity posted:

that is incorrect

i assume you've never tried to run a big c# server app in production on mono, on linux? (and if you haven't, don't worry, you have made the right choice there)

lomarf, no, why would you do that when you could just deploy to azure or whatnot

i have used mono to work on .net projects on my mac and it works ok. it's good.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
why not just rename it c++/-- at this point?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

u guys realize they're called concurrency primitives for a reason right

yes, it's so primitives can use them

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Athas posted:

Jesus Christ, while I think type-level programming in Coq or Idris is complicated, at least there is some coherency and fundamental simplicity at play. C++ is just a nightmare. Even Haskell isn't close to that complexity.

haskell will only ever hope to aspire to make functional programming as complicated as c++.

every time i deal with the inefficacy of c# templates i die on the inside and dream of again being abused by c++ tho.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

yeah im not gonna laugh at that because when enable_if/SFINAE clicked it was several years ago after staring at it for weeks. i feel like with c++ template metaprogramming theres a mental state before and after understanding and using enable_if and i cannot get into that pre dark magick mental state and i legit wonder sometimes if i would be happier not knowing what i know but then i remember that i implemented interface restraints for concepts entirely in c++14 and i realize im in too deep for it to matter.

when i wrote my first optional type i used aligned_storage instead of aligned_storage_t so welcome to the club

i miss C++ so bad :saddowns:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

BiohazrD posted:

holy lol c++ is even more dogshit than I thought

i didn't even think that was possible

cool wrongpinion you have there
C++ is art

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Powaqoatse posted:

you should get a real doctor to look at that

it's not normal? :ohdear:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Nehacoo posted:

It's kind of amazing that someone was so upset about an internet person's taste in video games that they chose to spend tenbux trying to shame them for it

I can't even fathom the thought process behind such an action

Soricidus posted:

it might just have been a really petty admin

i don't understand the shame if that was the goal. hl2 is bad and mon hun is good. :shrug:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Uncle Enzo posted:

actually when I encounter an optical illusion / buffer overflow, it just doesn't look like anything to me

update your brain software

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
all this cpp talk is making me miss it.

am i broken?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

holy poo poo hackbunny what the how do you do this

i can't even parse anything, my eyes just slide off the page

but at the same time, i think it's interesting. I think. Can't tell, dying

you'll be fine have another coffee :coffeepal:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

redleader posted:

what we really need is a more thorough set of constructs for working with loops:
code:

for (...) {
}
finally {
    // run if loop runs to completion
}
catch {
    // run if break used to exit loop 
}
else {
    // run if loop never entered
}

of course, we're reusing existing keywords for maximum backwards compatibility (and confusion)

why are you using a for loop anyway? just map a function across your collection

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

the commit under review is here. a lot of stuff is similar to what you or i have done but there are some neat tricks for dealing with types that have a deleted destructor

:cthulhu: fhtagn

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Malcolm XML posted:

the numpy stuff is fine since its all c but I forgot how poo poo Python is when it comes to stuff like multithreading and just generally being slow as gently caress to do anything, and all the goddamn little bugs that aren't caught by the type system

vs is too expensive.

vs is free..? at least unless your an enterprise at which point it's not your money and the money is probably there.. :shrug:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

redleader posted:

you also forgot erlang!

erlang is great, currently influencing a upcoming distributed systems project into using it.

well OTP is great. I'm not that into the whole multiple punctuation for similar things thing. but I haven't looked at the new hipster erlang enough to know if it's good.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

MononcQc posted:

On the Erlang VM, Alpaca is the current hipste

wow I'm out of the loop, I thought it was still phoenix/elixir.

I talked up erlang in the office once and the guy that's really into languages used it as a segue to talk about lisp, him having used LFE at some point. I bet LFE could be the new hipste if they rebranded to a cute animal.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

BiohazrD posted:

if your language uses anything but c style syntax you're just reinventing the wheel to be a unique snowflake

lisp predates algol though

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

unfortunately a lot of important stuff c or c++ is used for (like financial, gamedev, low latency, HPC, embedded, etc.) usually ends up requiring careful memory management and rust cant possibly hope to dethrone c++ or c unless it gives that level of control.

yeah sure it's a micro-optimization if you're doing something that runs on a phone or desktop, but anything else is gonna be a pain if you dont let me say what is allocated where and when

I wish I was doing something that required careful memory management. most non-engine gamedev stuff it just doesn't come up. I have a couple extra orders of magnitude of memory and cycles for almost everything I do. :downs:

hell, most of the engine stuff I've done it hasn't been a huge deal. if object allocation is a bottleneck in your net code then lol you have problems.

I guess I could try to get a better thermal profile, but no one (especially consumers) cares.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

is there a decent online python tutorial that uses it on the context of real problems rather than hello world? i feel like i should learn it just to have something popular in my toolbelt but i get so bored with toy stuff.

python is used for toy problems though :v:

maybe try pygame tutorials or something? it's used a lot in data science, but that seems to mostly be boiler plate around shoving data into an extant framework.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

what if the null is coming from a data store that's pulling it from a third party microservice using a db that's being written to by a six different systems asynchronously??? what now genius?

then you need to validate data coming into the db

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

gonadic io posted:

be prepared to write out every function 4 times

mods

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

MrMoo posted:

Big plans for a new project to use Elixir, but start prototyping in Node.js, and it's like this isn't too terrible :shrug:

why not just start with something good though?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

MrMoo posted:

aah, the superbly awesome library somehow manages to crash when executed through Node. How the gently caress? Took hours debugging that stuff to get nested deep within the library setup and everything indicating success and boom, segfaults in the library.

I still don't want to build web sockets in C++ so I'm likely to build a basic protocol above TCP and farm out to something else to convert to web sockets.

Just use the thing you already said that you had plans to use.

http://www.phoenixframework.org/docs/channels

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I pronounce tuple like two-ple. It feels right and I'm not sorry.

it is right and you shouldn't be

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Powaqoatse posted:

actually manga are read right to left

some of them in America are flipped in translation so your not strictly correct, actually

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

redundancy for the sake of redundancy can hurt readability is my point. creating intermediate variables when you could alternatively just simply describe the data flow can be worse to read.

it can also be better; there are no one size fits all approaches

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Doom Mathematic posted:

So exactly what advantage is a reference supposed to give over a pointer then? It sounds to me as if they have all of the exact same drawbacks.

can't be null? :shrug:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

the talent deficit posted:

again, you understand that's my whole point right? ASTs are designed for a single purpose and not as an accessible representation of a program in their own right

i'm not criticizing anyone or any current languages, i would just like to see what we'd end up with if we started at AST and worked out rather than starting at the ends and working in

scheme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
pretty sure email doesn't need a . after the @