Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Wheany posted:

here's hoping they teach some relatively recent version of java and not like java 1.5.

j2ee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Sapozhnik posted:

dynamic linking is so great they had to invent docker to deal with all of the problems that it causes

if dynamic linking were so bad, why would everyone dynamically link their applications over HTTP?

:smug:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Zlodo posted:

Here's a vastly better awk tutorial that takes only 5 seconds:

sudo rm `which awk`

shouldnt you use alternatives and xargs to get all of them?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

mystes posted:

Maybe they could just add top and bottom modifiers?

curly_fry + ZWJ + (

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

i would be surprised if vi doesnt have a thousand plugins for editing xml

vim has had support for xml for over a decade. noun phrase is `t` for tag. as in, dit (delete inside tag), yat (yank around tag) etc

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Sagacity posted:

tbf this does sound like it might take longer to learn than the time it would take to create a completely bespoke XML preprocessing dialect

sure no one should learn vi today who hasnt already been ruined by it

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Ocean of Milk posted:

Also re xml as markup: i think markdown's idea that markup text should be readable as source is good, though honestly I don't know whether that can be made unambigous.

markdown is also clownshoes. asciidoc predates it and is better in every way other than adoption (its also supported by github though)

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Shaggar posted:

this is the worst idea of all, probably

at least its one thing, unlike erlang where theres a bunch of different ways to terminate a line depending on context that could be trivially inferred

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Internet Janitor posted:

need to save user preferences?

no, you don't

if their preferences were really that strong they could patch the program and recompile it

Bloody posted:

that implies that you provide source code which suggests it may be open source which is as we all know “bad” see also rotors manifesto . therefore use the registry

:hmmyes: if they care enough they can binary patch it. no need for recompiling, providing source, or using the registry.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

prisoner of waffles posted:

most advances in IDE features were in proprietary s/w back in the day

ergo IDE features are inherently suspect

huh, just learned that VS Code is MIT licensed

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

mystes posted:

But some of Microsoft's extensions, like the current python one, are licensed in a way that says you can only use them in the official version of vs code

lol

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

prisoner of waffles posted:

as a vim sicko, I am curious to know if neovim and its scripting situation are good/bad/okay/atrocious

I really should just take a day and try out neovim

modern actual vim is better than neovim

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Plorkyeran posted:

neovim solved a bunch of unambiguous actual problems in vim, but also just sorta changed a bunch of things and isn't just a drop-in better vim replacement. vim 8 then fixed most of the same problems but in sorta different ways, leaving neovim as more of vim-but-different than vim-with-improvements. neovim is architecturally better, but the actual benefits of that are still potential benefits. for example, neovim should enable writing a much better gui text editor with vim editing, but in practice the neovim guis that exist are worse than macvim.

vim8 also added some nice features that dont exist in neovim, i think `:terminal` is one of these unless neovim since added it

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
theres also some features i think they dropped amd never added. like xxd and encrypted buffers

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

minidracula posted:

TIL about NestedText so now you have to too: https://nestedtext.org/

ill stick to xml thanks

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Athas posted:

BLISS is one of those languages that I've heard people (mostly the VMS diaspora) lament the death of, claiming it was a better C. I never understood why it was supposed to be better. (Not saying C is good.)

C is good

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Athas posted:

Not saying this.

i get that you arent, but i am

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

what is kind of weird is that pascal looked to be winning out for quite some time, but c then returned to relevance.

at any rate and all history aside c should go away on security grounds ityool 2024.

eh. most of the security issues that aren't also problems in other languages have warnings available

yes there are flags you should enable in 2024CE. but there's heinous poo poo you can do in all languages if you ignore recommendations

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

are there warnings for data races or use-after-free in C in modern compilers? I haven’t honestly written pure C in a long time

use after free yes. not sure about data races, but may have been added after C11's thread support

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Athas posted:

I'm surprised C++ people are that loyal to C++ itself. I can sort of see it happen for something like Lisp or Prolog or Haskell or similar highly opinionated or puritanical languages, but C++ always seemed intended as a pragmatic craftsman's tool for some times and places. Leaving aside my snarky C++ dislike for just this sentence, I can accept that C++ is sometimes a good and practical choice, but does anyone really love the language and want to make C++ specifically better, rather than just having access to zero-cost abstractions, metaprogramming, or similar notable C++ features for their programming?

I guess I can understand this behaviour if your job is to make C++ tools. (Because of the trauma this surely afflicts on your soul.)

C++ people are the most cliqueish group i can think of in programming

more than people extremely deep into FOSS

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

eschaton posted:

hey now, don’t mix C in with that C++ nonsense

C is my favorite C++ replacement language

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

you’re why we can’t remove it

no need to remove it, just only use it for fixed width strings as intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if its been his opinion for 25 straight years it isnt a gimmick anymore, is it?

dedication to the gimmick doesnt make it not a gimmick