Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
llvm is better than gcc in basically every way, except for the part where idiot programmers used obscure gnu c extensions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

eschaton posted:

you’re right about a lot of things but very much not this, friend

lisp wouldn't have helped the web

typed racket, maybe

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

more cpu use means less battery life, where i'm guessing you don't have enough resources

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

ol musky would like a word with you then

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

redleader posted:

4 bytes is enough to represent every code point that has been and can be defined by unicode as it currently stands. what am i missing?

characters can be made up of multiple code points combined (see the post above yours), so just because you can jump up 4 bytes to the next code point doesn't mean you've advanced one character, which is probably what your user wanted to do with the code you wrote, since that's what she saw on the screen

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Fiedler posted:

What language are you talking about? From context I'm guessing C#, but if so the "fucks up the execution" part doesn't make sense.

it does though, because windows

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

the problem with non-poo poo-language-to-js compilers is not technical but social. such compilers have existed for years, but there's still a critical mass of javascript developers in webshit land. new developers could learn the goodlang instead, but they don't, they learn javascript, because it's the lingua franca of webdev, and they can get a job doing it, and sure they'll hate their miserable lives, but if they didn't want to feel that way 24/7 they wouldn't be doing frontend. that's why people like typescript, because you can gradually start to write js with the occasional var:type and suddenly half your bugs are gone and you didn't have to hire a new team or waste time retraining

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

nobody learns all of c++, there is just too much of it to know everything. each new feature you start using in your code provides more cost than benefit, because it will have unforeseen bad interactions with other features, due to reasons that could only ever apply to c++. therefore, the strategy is to select a minimal subset of c++ which suits your problem space, and stick to it rigidly, with a coding style guide that has been very carefully thought out by senior developers. this will make it manageable to work in. of course, when you leave that company and join another, they will have chosen a different subset, and you get to learn the language you supposedly knew all over again! sounds great huh

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Sapozhnik posted:

a lot of dumb javascript poo poo is just not amenable to typescript's or flow's type system. the compile-time guarantees just aren't there. and after compile time static type system is a distant memory, kind of by definition really.

i mean it's still better than nothing but it drives me up the wall when i occasionally try to do something obviously nonsensical and the type checker just smiles and nods because hey guess what the inferred type of half your poo poo ended up being "any"

you are correct, and the best solution is to let really smart people like anders keep making the type system even more powerful, so it can represent those patterns :getin:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Sapozhnik posted:

eh maybe. i know nothing about plt

something that comes up a lot is a table of handlers for various kinds of event, where events are things that have a string field called "type". in plain vanilla hurf durf javascript you just write something like eventHandlers[eventType] = handlerFn; and then you dispatch to a handler by writing something like eventHandlers[event.type](event);

you cannot statically type that second expression; there is no way to express the necessary invariants using any js type checker's type system.

maybe not currently, but it sounds like a basic sum type (tagged union), where instead of a string field you enumerate the event types

Sapozhnik posted:

alternatively, consider something like redux-saga.

i will not

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

the tweet is about php

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

shell is great for writing ad hoc pipelines, and then suddenly you've solved the problem so you want to save your solution for future use, so you copy it into a file and try to make it generic and add parameters and now you're hosed forever

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

rjmccall posted:

what really is a file maaaannnn

a miserable little pile of bytes

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

redleader posted:

shaggar-approved Microsoft (r) SQL Server (tm)

ok, now i'm confused. what's the difference between a queue using a db table and a queue using dedicated software? some of the fundamental issues (e.g. unbounded queue lengths) would be the same between the two, no?

the problem with using a db table as a queue is that you end up with lock contention between multiple consumers. one consumer does a select for update, locking the row it's working on. another consumer tries to dequeue something before the first one commits, finds a locked row, and sits around blocked. so you don't really get any concurrency out of the thing. the solution is to use "select for update skip locked" which does exactly what you want, and now your db table makes a fine queue, and you didn't even have to introduce another piece of infrastructure to maintain

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

my favorite part about sqs is how dequeueing a message doesn't actually dequeue it, it just sets the message invisible to other clients for a period of time, so you better hope processing the message doesn't take longer than that! our solution has been to explicitly delete the message from the queue immediately after dequeueing, handle errors on the application side, and re-enqueue the message if necessary. so we get none of that retry stuff or dead letter queue goodness, but wtf else are we gonna do

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

AWWNAW posted:

this is a really bad strategy

you should tune your visibility timeouts and or renew them in flight if for some reason you’re taking forever to handle a message

didn't realize you could renew the visibility timeout for individual messages while in flight, ok we'll do that instead :thumbsup:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

homercles posted:

So, I'm using Go.

i'm so sorry :eng99:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

pseudorandom name posted:

it has static linking

so does java if i give you a jar file :shrug:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

hey rjmccall idk if you've made an effortpost about this before but i'm wondering, as a developer of a yospos officially recognized goodlang, what are your thoughts on go? i'm assuming you think it is bad, but is there anything redeemable in there at all?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

is one of those systems the timestamp ordering code for loving imessage

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

that was a really good post thank you :shobon:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

still, seems reasonable to gripe about the lack of 1970s-era technology in a greenfield programming language designed by, and for use at, loving google

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

my favorite part of gradle is never touching it and using maven instead because i'm not some anroid idiot

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

why not just use the fuckin semicolons

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

from balls import pee

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Thermopyle posted:

This is good advice to get a small fraction of the people you'd otherwise get to be interested in your project

it gets all the right people, though

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

we used to do repls without websites too you know

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Thermopyle posted:

also being web based brings benefits

name three

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Dim Shaggar

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Thermopyle posted:

Chrome > More Tools > Add to desktop
what is the point of this non sequitur, it has nothing to do with eschaton's post

Thermopyle posted:

I already addressed your other points
also saying "yes this is a problem but i don't care" is not really useful in discussions on the quality of things

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Thermopyle posted:

Does it not directly address the following?

not if this is true

Thermopyle posted:

each of my most used web apps has its own window without an address bar and it's own icon
unless you have set up those web app icons to launch your own os-updated version of chrome and navigate (address-barless) to the url for each app, which would be the first i've heard of anyone doing that

like if you download the slack app and you run it from its icon you are getting slack's embedded browser

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

oh wow i'm sorry i read your post as saying "add chrome to your windows desktop" rather than "use this feature of chrome to generate an icon for your web app on your windows desktop"

never mind i'm an idiot carry on

javascript is still bad tho

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

it means that obviously the latest flavor of the week framework is the Objectively Correct way to do things, and the previous week's framework was not Correct even though we said it was then, and it is not possible for any future week to ever have a more Correct framework, DUH

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

it's more like if ocaml had a new syntax which was inspired by js because apparently js devs can't handle let..in and the lack of curlyboys

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i know what a convolution is but i don't know what it has to do with statistics :confused:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

apple employee receives honest feedback from users of thing he designed, responds exactly like apple corporate :cawg:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

we have the world's best designers here! this is apple!! you're holding it wrong!!!

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

maven does that and the directory is ~/.m2 hth

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

qhat posted:

Anything in python should be considered legacy software and active support of that software should be considered legacy support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Have you ideated yourself a job yet