Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Hammerite posted:

im sure lisp was all very well in the past but in the modern world we can have the best of both worlds. first-class functions and clean, logical syntax (c syntax). javascript is the answer, its what you always wanted from lisp but knew it was lacking, embrace it.

lisp syntax is as clean and logical (other than maybe only having prefix operators and Lots of Insidiously Silly Parentheses) as you can get because there's very little of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

lisp is also awesome because lisp macros are awesome

agreed, idiot cadr eater.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Internaut! posted:

just a reminder that deep c secrets is one of the most enlightening books about programming you'll ever read and you only need to be passingly familiar with k&r and unix programming to enjoy it

best book cover

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

rotor posted:

the happiest I've been at my job has been the times where I've had to drag out the springer-verlag books to solve a problem

sperger-verlag

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

carry on then posted:

hash tables.... are just hash maps with integer keys !!!

js is even worse:

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Soricidus posted:

reminder that "11" + 1 is valid in java, which completely statically and predictably converts the int to a string and gets on with doing the obvious correct thing

the problem is languages that think the result should be 12, or (god forbid) "12"

the obvious and correct thing is an HCF instruction

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
mathamphetamines

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

mods this thread title is out of date. please change it to "The PL (Programming Language) thread: I'm glad Rust is the current hipste"

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

carry on then posted:

are there any languages in production use that have or at least support keywords in various languages?

http://search.cpan.org/~dconway/Lingua-Romana-Perligata-0.50/lib/Lingua/Romana/Perligata.pm

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
lmbo if you're not using the select builtin noobz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Shaggar posted:

I don't think ive ever run into the windows path limit in my time using it, but I also cant think of a use case where I would.

npm from back in the day when it had recursing node_modules directories and there was a npm package called rimraf specifically for removing all those files with the paths that are too long because windows could not remove them