Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

Deuterieux posted:

oh no pythons don't let them squeeze you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

Shaggar posted:

ant is not fine. ant is as far from fine as it gets.

posting from 103 represntin ANT what whaaaaaat

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

lol if you posted:

posting from 103 represntin ANT what whaaaaaat

hey guys i got some sane default flags for rsync lemme just macro all that up in some fat rear end ANT scripT!

code:
    <macrodef name="_rsync">
        <attribute name="preview" default="false"/>
        <attribute name="src.dir"/>
        <attribute name="dest.username" default="user"/>
        <attribute name="dest.dir"/>
        <attribute name="dest.hosts"/>
        <attribute name="exclude" default=""/>
        <attribute name="ssh.key" default="/m1/homes/user/.ssh/id_dsa"/>
        <attribute name="parallel" default="false"/>
        <attribute name="thread.count" default="5"/>

<sequential>
            <tstamp prefix="start">
                <format property="TIME" pattern="HH:mm:ss" locale="en"/>
            </tstamp>
            <echo message="rsync starting at: ${start.TIME}"/>

<var name="exclude.list" value=""/>
            <for list="@{exclude}" param="exclude.element">
                <sequential>
                    <var name="exclude.list" value="${exclude.list} --exclude=@{exclude.element}"/>
                </sequential>
            </for>

<property name="rsync.user" value="@{dest.username}@"/>

<if><equals arg1="@{preview}" arg2="1"/>
                <then>
                    <for list="@{dest.hosts}" param="dest.host" parallel="@{parallel}" threadCount="@{thread.count}">
                        <sequential>
                            <exec executable="rsync" failonerror="true">
                                <env key="RSYNC_RSH" value="ssh -i @{ssh.key}"/>
                                <arg value="--verbose"/>
                                <arg value="--stats"/>
                                <arg value="--recursive"/>
                                <arg value="--delete"/>
                                <arg value="--links"/>
                                <arg value="--dry-run"/>
                                <arg value="--perms"/>
                                <arg value="--exclude=*.c"/>
                                <arg value="--exclude=*.cpp"/>
                                <arg value="--exclude=*.h"/>
                                <arg value="--exclude=*.java"/>
                                <arg line="${exclude.list}"/>
                                <arg value="@{src.dir}"/>
                                <arg value="${rsync.user}@{dest.host}:@{dest.dir}"/>
                            </exec>
                        </sequential>
                    </for>
                </then>
                <else>
                    <for list="@{dest.hosts}" param="dest.host" parallel="@{parallel}" threadCount="@{thread.count}">
                        <sequential>
                            <exec executable="rsync" failonerror="true" description="@{dest.host}">
                                <env key="RSYNC_RSH" value="ssh -i @{ssh.key}"/>
                                <arg value="--verbose"/>
                                <arg value="--stats"/>
                                <arg value="--recursive"/>
                                <arg value="--delete"/>
                                <arg value="--links"/>
                                <arg value="--exclude=*.c"/>
                                <arg value="--exclude=*.cpp"/>
                                <arg value="--exclude=*.h"/>
                                <arg value="--exclude=*.java"/>
                                <arg line="${exclude.list}"/>
                                <arg value="@{src.dir}"/>
                                <arg value="${rsync.user}@{dest.host}:@{dest.dir}"/>
                            </exec>
                        </sequential>
                    </for>
                </else>
            </if>

<tstamp prefix="end">
                <format property="TIME" pattern="HH:mm:ss" locale="en"/>
            </tstamp>
            <echo message="rsync ending at: ${end.TIME}"/>
        </sequential>
    </macrodef>
*micdrops an office slinky on my way out the door to hotdog-on-a-stick*

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

ChiralCondensate posted:

i just shrug and say "rcs suits my needs"

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

reminder that for years visual source safe was sold by microsoft as a legit source control system for use by developers while ms themselves used some custom version of perforce and are now migrating to tfs which is based on an internal custom source control system they also used

perforce owns if you got money

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

i've never used it but i like svn and tfs both have done me solid so far, what does perforce do better?

these days it's got end-to-end encryption out of the box, offline/nearline repos for old code and assets that you need living records of but don't want taking up TB, the new stream architecture means that if you've got a half competent person doing your branching strategy the tools themselves will maintain a proper 'merge-down, copy-up' methodology

plus infinite local sandboxing with offline mode, simple poo poo like cherry picking during resolves, hell you can even XML template out the p4v client so that anyone who connects to your server (like, say, a few hundred people in the art department) get a custom defined GUI that will only show them the things they can understand ie. big boxes with '+' and '-' on them and nothing else

svn is cool and git is cool. but the next time you're responsible for several dozen TB worth of assets that require a federal evidence chain be maintained for 10+ years or that has the kind of assets in it that regularly generate IP lawsuits (gaming, movie making, NYSE to name a few) having a server-client architecture with single point logging and admin controlled access and some new dipshit on the team says 'but git is so coooooooooool' just go ahead and process their dismissal papers right away because guaranteed within a month they'll have uploaded sensitive data to pastebin or some other stupid poo poo

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

Version Everything(tm)

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

sharing shitloads of files between projects, like if you keep your toolchain in version control for repeatable building

although for this to be effective you have to build a culture where people will tell p4 to copy file objects instead of adding new instances of them, and some people just will not loving do this

submit unchanged is a dumb default, i've spent so loving much time running obliterates for people who cannot seem to change a loving semicolon without first opening the whole goddamn branch for edit and then submitting from //...

if i was still admining these days i'd run everything through a p4 broker that just quietly ignores most of people's stupid habits

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

is there a decent reference on Supercollider? and is the eclipse plugin worth a poo poo

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

graph posted:

i dont read this thread

well hell at least one person got the right idea

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

it's an ok system but here's some facts that might make you tingle in other places

- the build system is practically tied to perforce, although a few projects do use svn. if direct use of dvcs with in the system is widespread now I would be very surprised because of the entrenches processes that would have to change to make that possible. also because of the general lack of interest in what's happening technologically outside amazon's walls

- there is this nice idea of distinguishing compatible and incompatible releases. however i never saw it used from where i sat, somewhere along the way the release number was locked in and the division just built every check-in as a compatible patch build. the build numbers were in the thousands.

- in practice i saw no release management that involved any kind of business decision making. anything devs checked in was assumed to be feature complete and ready for production, notwithstanding that there were no QA tools, processes, infrastructure, or time budget to check this. A release build was made every two weeks, there was a one-week waiting period for someone to realize they'd missed the window and back out their changes, and then it was deployed to the world

I am now using maven & bamboo and they do everything that was great about Amazon's system, are more flexible, and maven has the snapshot feature which was sorely lacking at Amazon. (If it had been available at Amazon it would have been either ignored or abused due to the absence of any conscious release management.)

perforce is cool

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

yes but not cool enough, i mean i thought it was the bomb when my only experience was with cvs and rcs

what do you need to do that perforce can't support? for all values of 'need' that don't involve 'let me just puke proprietary code all over unsecured locations'

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

local patch stacking

actual project branching vs. "put some revision hardlinks in a new folder and pretend its a branch lol", which then requires you to rewrite paths when integrating changes from one to the other

also releases up to 2009 have a terrible UI for renaming files which in practice means that people just break the file history and give no gently caress, no matter how many times you remind them

why would you use pre-2k9? no streams, no local sandboxing, no p4broker layer to intercept rename requests and handle them appropriately

that's like complaining about windows xp

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

im too sick today to take that gimmick any further oh well

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

i haven't done anything ant related in years but i seem to recall doing something horrible like

@{varname.@{iterator}}

inside an ant-contrib for loop to fake an array of build machines

i had to leave a comment in the code saying 'if you're reading this you were hired to replace me and i'm sorry'

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

minidracula posted:

I gravitate more to Coq, or a HOL system.

like mother, like son

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

i'm trying to learn ruby and it bugs the crap out of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

Arcsech posted:

whats with that bigass title?

the erlangonxen link gives me a 502 error, must have gotten flooded or something

compensating