Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Something I've noticed with Ubuntu is that it never has a "clean" startup or shutdown screen.

Ubuntu Desktop has a graphical startup and shutdown, but before the graphical startup, some text quickly flashes by. Are we supposed to note what it is (for diagnostics)? Before the graphical shutdown splash is displayed, a ton of text that has random alignment is splashed all over the screen. What is the point?

Messed up line breaks, non-functional word-wrap, confusing (and unnecessary) output, etc. This has been in every release of Ubuntu Linux.

Neither Windows nor Mac OS X bombard the user with ugly/meaningless text. With every release of Ubuntu, I see stuff like this on my screen when restarting (the alignment is all over the screen):

* Modem-manager[1062] <info> caught signal 15...
                                                     * Stopping crypto disks...
                                                                       * Casper is resyncing snapshots and caching reboot files...
                                                                 * umount: /run/lock: not mounted...

Why can't Ubuntu's startup/shutdown hide text unless some key is pressed? If it must display text, why can't it try to align it correctly? Red Hat / CentOS left-align their startup/shutdown output. Even Ubuntu Server (non graphical) will have text left-aligned on startup/shutdown.

When I boot a system installed via Wubi, I get text that says something like "try hd(0,0) ntfs5 error prefix is not set."

I found this when Googling it:

quote:

The message is actually normal:
"Try (hd0,0)": diagnostic message issued by the tool used to boot wubi.
"error 'prefix' not set": a diagnostic from grub that shouldn't be issued - but it has been since 11.04 was released on all wubi installs. Not indicative of any problem.

Not indicative of any problem? Why the hell does the system flash the text ERROR on startup then? How about just saying saying "ERROR: NO ERROR"? Or better yet, don't put anything there unless there's actually an error.

I know some people may quickly reply with "so what? it's just text" - but that is part of the reason most people don't want Linux on the Desktop. It's the little things that the developers skip over that make it look sloppy. Why wasn't it fixed in the 12.04 beta? Why wasn't it fixed in 11.10? Or 11.04? Or 10.10? Or 10.04?

Thankfully, I know it's not just me bothered something that seems so trivial to fix.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/14482/any-way-to-clean-up-the-look-of-the-shutdown-logout-restart-process

I mean, if a group of people backed by a big company can build an entire OPERATING SYSTEM, design an interface, and add a Cloud service to it, why can't they seem to hide text?

I see that there is an "Idea" page where others want the loving text to go away:
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/25373/
I agree with the submitter. This sort of thing is unprofessional. It's like spending years on a project, but never bother learning to fix spelling or grammar errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Slopehead posted:

Thanks for that tip on the Wubi installer. I've been trying to figure out how to set up ubuntu on my windows machine without having to set up a partition.

This is how I've been installing Ubuntu Desktop on my Windows PCs for years now. There is a minor I/O performance hit, but it's not too bad.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Ubuntu Server 10.04 question:

How difficult is it to get DHCPv6 working (without mucking up a perfectly-fine IPv4 server)? The dhcp3-server daemon doesn't seem to be able to support IPv6.

I have big bucket of static IPv6 addresses for my systems, plus IPv6 DNS working.

For end-users, I tried running as an "IPv6-only" system - their IPv6 address autoconfigures without DHCP, but I have to manually enter in DNS and domain search order since there is no IPv6 DHCP server giving out that info.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

MrMoo posted:

You could use mDNS for IPv6 DNS, domain search order is nigh on obsolete if you use a .local domain.

Would mDNS really help me?

Our systems have a good mix of conflicting local and public DNS names as well as private and public IPs.

It all works fine with IPv4 DHCP. I just want the DHCP server to work with IPv6.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Longinus00 posted:

Steam is effectively it's own repository/package manager. I imagine they'll work around dependencies by doing a lot of static linking.

Ten copies of games with ten copies of the all the libraries they need inside the games' folders. Everything works, it just may eat up a lot of space.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
On Windows, many games may include a runtime installer that install stuff to a common system location.

For non-Windows games, they include a copy of the stuff needed to make it run, like this:

/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Doom 2/base/dosbox

/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Commander Keen/base1/dosbox
/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Commander Keen/base2/dosbox
/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Commander Keen/base3/dosbox
/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Commander Keen/base4/dosbox
/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Commander Keen/base5/dosbox

Yeah, downloading and installing the one "Commander Keen" package includes five copies of DOSBox & SDL libraries.

The duplicate libraries (and their source code) for that are 75% of the game install!

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Lysidas posted:

12.04.1 is out.

I didn't see any announcements or anything. I just noticed my 12.04 servers updated to 12.04.01 last week, and my 10.04.4 servers started alerting me to upgrade...

quote:

New release 'precise' available.
Run 'do-release-upgrade' to upgrade to it.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Docjowles posted:

Edit: Also, don't be an idiot like me. Read the release notes. I just spent a really embarrassing amount of time wondering why the gently caress DNS resolution didn't work. Turns out you can't manually write values to resolv.conf anymore!

Aha! I knew this one already!

I had set up a test 12.04 several months ago and kept wondering why networking seemed to die. Every now and then I couldn't even get to Google.com! It looked like resolv.conf kept blanking!

Now we even have DNS settings in /etc/network/interfaces on our 10.04 servers, just in case we upgrade them.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I'm a fan of Ubuntu because it seems like the people behind it want to achieve something. "Linux on the Desktop" just hasn't worked, and Canonical is willing to try anything and everything to make Ubuntu stand out. If there ever is a "year of Linux on the Desktop", Ubuntu will be the distribution people will be using.

Most of my Ubuntu usage is the Server edition. It quickly installs, I paste in some configs, and it's done. It handles our DHCP, DNS, web servers, our ticket system, mailing lists, our wiki/documentation site, our users' web sites, etc. Canonical says they will support their stuff for 5 years, and the support community has been great help. A Google search for "ubuntu" plus whatever I'm working on usually gets me two or three pages where someone else already did what I was trying.

That being said, I honestly cannot use it as my primary Desktop OS. I rely far too much on quirky hardware (usually a TV card with zero Linux support), Microsoft Office (especially Outlook), and current game support. Steam will help with a lot of the game stuff (L4D2), but not Guild Wars 2. :3:

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
How do I make windows not "stick" to the edge of the screen so much?

"Displays -> Sticky Edges" has nothing to do with it (that is something multi-monitor thing).

"Compiz -> Window Management -> Snapping Windows" has nothing to do with it (that makes the window snap to the edge, not stick to it).

If I am dragging windows around, they will "stick" to the edge of the screen, so when I try to drag them away, I have to move my mouse almost half a screen away before the edge will "lets go" of the window.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

fourwood posted:

"Snapping Windows" has some "edge resistance" settings. Those are for how hard it resists being pulled off. Edit: At least, I think.

I disabled Snapping Windows and Sticky Edges. Things still "stick". :(

Edit:

It's not doing it on a system that boots straight to Ubuntu, so I'm guessing it may be an issue with VMware Fusion.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 7, 2012

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Is there a way to make "Gnome Classic" actually look like Gnome looked?

Menu items and icons seem really crowded and ran-together in Ubuntu.

The top one is CentOS 6.3, the bottom one is in Ubuntu 12.04.1.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

ShadowHawk posted:

edit: not because of major problems with 12.10 or anything, just it seems like 12.04 is going to be the first LTS release that people actually do keep around on their desktops for years.

Not 10.04? It's the last Gnome2 LTS release.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
The samba4 installer is busted on 12.04. This are no less than 611 "duplicate" bug reports on Ubuntu's bug-tracker page from so many people reporting this.
I was trying to test samba4 and ran into the error. After googling it I discovered a *lot* of people had the error.

Someone said it will be fixed in 12.10+ (obviously not LTS) and not 12.04, so all of us LTS users can go gently caress ourselves.

For testing Desktop use, 12.10 shipped with some busted version of "xserver-xorg-core" that causes havoc in some configurations (launchpad# 1041063 has an example of this) and has prevented me from using it much.

I've not been too happy with 12.04 or 12.10. :holy:

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Longinus00 posted:

Isn't samba4 not even out of testing? It might not even have been in beta when 12.04 came out. If you really want to test then do yourself a favor are run the latest version directly from upstream. It seems like most of those bug reports were from people who were told to install samba4 via command-not-found instead of something sane like samba.

I understand samba4 still is in *early* testing - but it's just weird how broken the installer is.
I won't claim that samba4 even works on any other platform, but at least it didn't give screens full of confusing errors just by using one apt-get command.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
My laptop screen goes blank (all-black) instead of powering down when I use Ubuntu. It stays on all night unless I close the lid (it's set to go OFF after ~30 minutes).
I *wish* it didn't load its blank "screensaver" and just shut off.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Zaraphrax posted:

Do you have a nVidia graphics card, per chance? And using the proprietary drivers?

ATI X300. I'm using whatever driver is built in.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

deong posted:

So, I'm about to install a new SSD for my /. I'm going with 12.04 stable, but I'm wondering if I should be doing anything special for the drive. Do I have to gently caress with the TRIMS or w/e?

What SSD model?

What tool will you be using to format/partition it? Some disk utility app aligned the partition to sector 63 (old/bad), but GParted correctly aligned to 2048.

With ext4, make sure the drive is mounted with the "discard" option.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Is there some sort of GUI app for viewing system and CPU temps? Like HWInfo for Windows?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Does anyone know what version of Samba Ubuntu 14.04 LTS will have "out of the box"?

Samba 4.1 went final in October, and 4.1.6 was released yesterday. I've been trying to find info on this, and all I've seen is that Ubuntu 14.04 LTS comes with Samba 4.0, not 4.1.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

AlexDeGruven posted:

Kind of answering your own question?

They should be feature-frozen at this point, so I would imagine what you see in the beta spins is what will be in the final product.

At worst, it's only a month 'til release, but you should still hear well before then what is going to be in the final gold spin.

I'm going by links like these:

http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/core/trusty/universe/base/samba4

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/trusty/+source/samba4

Both mention 14.04 and 4.0.3 (from February), but I'm wondering if they just haven't been updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Does 14.04.1 have updated NVidia drivers?

I have a GeForce GTX 750, and a clean install of 14.04 required that I added some PPA or whatever to get newer nvidia drivers.

I was going to do a reinstall since getting a new SSD, but I wanted to make sure I could go with an "out of the box" setup.

• Locked thread