Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Hence, I'm sure "game of thrones in space" is coming sooner or later.

Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
All I can think of is the scene in Futurama where their ship's being dragged underwater.

"Five thousand feet! That's over one hundred and fifty atmospheres of pressure!"
"How many atmospheres can this ship withstand?"
"Well, it's a spaceship, so anywhere between zero and one."

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
If you accept Galaxy Quest as the tenth Star Trek film - between Insurrection and Nemesis - the even/odd theory works a lot better.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
On the topic of colour design, here's something from the production of TOS:

Bob Justman, producer posted:

We're all in outer space, Jerry [Finnerman, director of photography], and we're in color. NBC claims to be the first full-color network, so let's prove it for them. When you light the sets, throw wild colors in – magenta, red, green, any color you can find – especially behind the actors when they're in a close shot. Be dramatic. In fact, go overboard. Backlight the women and make them more beautiful. Take some chances. Nobody can tell you that's not the way the future will look. How can they? They ain't been there yet.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Farecoal posted:

I think he was supposed to give a cameo in the form of a recorded message given to Pine-Kirk by Spock. God that would have been awesome

You're referring to this and I agree entirely.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

DFu4ever posted:

It didn't contradict it so much as have a lot of poo poo the film never brought up.

So, it complemented the film?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Trek '09 already was a Star Wars movie. Desert-dwelling farmboy destined for greatness follows his deceased father's footsteps among the stars and saves the universe, bustling rough cantina with aliens, planet-destroying superweapon with unambiguously evil villain, non-English-speaking supporting character, implausibly large "Galactic Senate"-style meeting room populated mainly with CGI, full CGI cities full of flying cars, "punch it"...

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
So what we're actually saying is it would be better if the brewery set was used for the ship's sewage and water processing system, which we still have indeed never seen.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Rocket Ace posted:

Honestly, is there a big, important reason why a ship cannot jump to warp from an atmosphere? I mean without a paragraph about sci fi magic technobabble that the average movie goer won't give a poo poo about.

Imagine a sonic boom but literally a million times more destructive?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

echoplex posted:

I got some real 9/11 vibes from that scene on a gut level, but I haven't worked out whether that was clever or merely exploitative.

It almost felt redundant to me, as if they had an extra $4.5m in special effects budget so they thought "well, might as well throw a [I don't know how much I can spoil] starship wreck in there too". It came out of nowhere.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Tequila Bob posted:

My main problem with ST09 was that the overall plot was basically "Here's this new bad guy. He's doing bad things. Let's kill him! OK, roll credits." (If anyone wants to tell me I'm missing something there, I'm willing to listen.) This one, on the other hand, was surprisingly explicit in its condemnation of the darker, war-like side of Starfleet. It reminded me of what I liked about the TV shows - that these people are reflecting on their own choices, and always striving to become better.

I actually also had this problem with ST09. The genocidal villain is completely defeated, on the ropes, at your mercy, screaming at you "What I would like best of all is for you to kill me right now!", and you... do exactly what he tells you to do?

I was immediately interested when this movie started explicitly questioning that approach and then when Kirk came around to the more adult point of view. I was very impressed with that piece of character growth. And then after all that hand-wringing about it being more right and proper to bring the bad guy home alive, to face a proper trial, there still was no trial!

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

I said come in! posted:

In Star Trek 09, how come the bad guy didn't just fly to Romulus and warn the planet, once he realized he traveled back in time?

Who says he didn't?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

DFu4ever posted:

Interestingly, only the people who are familiar with the callbacks are bitching about the callbacks. I seriously don't think the Kirk death scene is falling flat to anyone, since even the most critical people are begrudgingly admitting it was pretty well done.

I actually got nothing at all out of that scene, just because the resolution had been telegraphed so obviously. All the way through it, I couldn't think of anything else. It's one thing to have a pretty good idea how things will end up by the end of the movie, but to know exactly how just deflated the whole thing for me. Maybe on a second viewing it'll work better.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

echoplex posted:

And everyone using their communicators like they were iPhones was brilliant.

I was glad that they actually went to the trouble to demonstrate that, despite all of our advances in mobile communications technology, Star Trek communicators are still light years ahead of any iPhone: namely, that one scene where Kirk phones Scotty up even though Scotty is in a bar in a completely different star system.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Asiina posted:

Also completely unrelated, but with all the gravity nonsense how did that tribble stay on the table?

Tribbles are perfectly capable of sticking to walls.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

1st AD posted:

I don't place their opinion very highly, even if they did happen to like a film that I liked.

One of their biggest missteps was a review of the movie Cop Dog. They really really went full sperg and nitpicked the hell out of that film's plot. A film that is ostensibly a child's film for children and families. This is why I really can't take their reviews seriously, because they kind of miss the forest for the trees.

Wasn't this review a commentary on their own excessively nitpicky coverage of the Star Wars prequels?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Was I the only one who thought the coolest thing in this movie was the mobile hole in Khan's prison cell glass?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

ApexAftermath posted:

I don't understand how so many are hung up on the Enterprise not having backup when "Enterprise is the only ship in the sector" has been accepted without any issue for so long.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Tell me about it. I've said this twice and it doesn't seem to ever get through. Do you people not understand how Star Trek works?

It's not so much the "only ship in range" thing as the "accepted without issue" thing. If you think anything in Star Trek has ever been accepted without issue, you're the one who doesn't understand how Star Trek works.

In earlier eras of Star Trek there was usually some sort of lip service paid to scientific accuracy. There were technical manuals and in the TNG era onwards there was a huge amount of technobabble. I forget exactly how things went in the TOS era but there were certainly big books of actual starship blueprints. This kind of thing actively encouraged viewers to think about the background of the Star Trek universe - it also encouraged nerds to nitpick the little things, especially when mistakes were made or "established facts" were deliberately ignored for the sake of a story.

This kind of training is difficult to let go of.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What is Star Trek?

What is Star Trek 'about'?

To explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilisations, to boldly go where no one has gone before!

Unironically.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Star Trek is...

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Jubilee3rd posted:

How do coordinates work for revolving objects like planets? Are they fixed points in space or relative?

The short answer to your implicit question is: no, four two-digit numbers won't do it.

Nothing is really "fixed" in space. Everything is relative. Even if you choose some arbitrary object and "fix it", you'll find that the rest of the universe is still in motion. In reality, to specify the location of an object in orbit, you first need to know what it's orbiting (I think it's Jupiter in this case) and what that central object's "reference direction" is. The reference direction is probably a standardised thing which you can look up in an almanac. Once you've got that, it takes six parameters to completely specify an orbit, and one additional parameter to specify a position on that orbit.

And the numbers are pretty long, too. But it's not so good for the flow of the movie to have a character spend five minutes reading numbers out over the phone. In fact, I wonder why they bothered at all, other than to crowbar a "47" reference in there.

qntm fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 3, 2013

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
The joke is that Star Trek is now Star Wars and the only difference between them is the shape of the spaceships.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Pope Mobile posted:

Okay, now that that's out of the way, we can get back to talking about space ships shooting lasers. I never thought about it until someone brought it up, but why park the Enterprise underwater on Nibiru? What's wrong with sitting in orbit and beaming up Kirk & McCoy when they're out of site of the natives? I know, the real answer is "because special effects and tension." But what are the practical reasons for it? This is Star Trek.

Since 2009 there's an implicit invitation for the old guard of Trek fans to make up their own technobabble explanations for this kind of thing.

E: Actually, thinking about it, maybe there's a novelisation you can refer to

qntm fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jun 7, 2013

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Hewlett posted:

You're so torpedoist.

Torpedoism is really all about class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Lord Krangdar posted:

I want to point out that just because the characters don't acknowledge something doesn't mean its not a significant part of the film/series/whatever.

Or that it is, for that matter.

• Locked thread