Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
They should have just gone with Gerard Butler out of 300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

epitasis posted:

It's a brilliant script, really. Star Trek '09 is probably a perfect action/adventure film.

I hated it a lot (except the actors) and I don't understand that. I think I was told there were some script issues due to a strike or something so I remember last time saying hopefully they'll do better for the sequel. We'll see.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

Kurtzman and Orci turned in their script a few weeks before the strike, and Lindelof and Abrams worked on it up until the day the strike began. Abrams said he was frustrated during filming, however, because he wanted to change lines and add new scenes, but because he's a WGA member, he was prohibited from actually changing the scrpt.

Yeah I'm hoping this time around it's a lot better.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Screw Kirk, I want to see The Most Interesting Captain's story.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
http://www.totalfilm.com/news/mark-wahlberg-reveals-that-he-was-almost-cast-in-star-trek

"James...I was yo father...almost."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I hate the new Star Trek mostly and also the designs. Ugly rear end ships and choices.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go slingshot myself around the sun and go back to 1997 or some when around there.

I hope this next one is decent.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

echoplex posted:

It DOES look like the Enterprise E. loving John Eaves.

Yeah that was going to be my comment. I loved the Galaxy, the E and the like. Comedy option, go into the future, go to the mirror universe, grab the E, come back and be like "Bitches, leave!"

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

McDowell posted:

My Rogue Section 31 agent mad about getting intel from Alpha Spock seems to be bearing out. The Dreadnought or whatever is built based on all the information from Spock's squidship.

That'd be kind of neat. He steals poo poo from Nimoy-Spock's future and goes rogue. I'd like it if they incorporated Section 31, there's actually a good avenue to explore.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Let's be fair. Star Trek nerds are a special breed who would shred poo poo up, did anyway, etc. and Execs probably decided "Eh, let's try to bring them on board so do this parallel universe poo poo. Mo money." They'd be all "NOT MY KIRK!"

Hell, I'm a Trek fan and loving hate Trek 09 anyway outside of the cast. Although I don't care for parallel universe or my childhood murdered type poo poo too much.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

jivjov posted:

I don't think the trek nerds were the intended audience though...are we really that big of a force that a plot point had to be scripted and Nimoy brought on in order to secure our dollars?

The group that would have decried the film if the had been no mention of parallel timeline can't be that massive...can it?

To be fair at that time I think with Trek waning and dormant as it was they probably wanted as much potential dollars as possible. Trek did get to nerdcore levels after TNG since the audiences dwindled.

Did they really have to? No. But I think a bone was tossed.

I'm disappointed they remade it into a forced actionfest without any substance.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Picard as the villain? I kind of want to see it happen, even if just for the reaction, but it'd suck for the character and I don't want to see him go out like that.

Perhaps Picard is from the future and is actually trying to fix poo poo but Kirk keeps loving him up. And then we get a line like "IT'S A GOOD THING I LET YOU DIE! I EVEN PULL YOU OUT FROM HEAVEN TO DIE! JERK!" or perhaps it is senile Picard from All Good Things.

EDIT: Oooohhh, I hope if it's Mirror Universe Picard he has a goatee and and has a barechested uniform. And then gently caress it, bring in the cast from DS9 and TNG as mirror universe peeps too and ham it up. Go all out with it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

Wouldn't Picard be like, not born yet?

It's Trek, man.

Besides, what happens is that Evil Sherlock punches Spock in the nards, takes his ship, goes to the future, goes to the alternate mirror universe, grabs Evil Picard and is all "Yo, let's rule this hood." and brings him back in time and to the 09 universe and build a gently caress off ship.

EDIT: I kinda really do want to see an evil Picard ham it up with Kirk...hopefully they let Pine go full Shatner if so and Stewart can go epic Shakespere.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Supercar Gautier posted:

The new film series takes place entirely inside the virtual universe created for Moriarty in that TNG episode. The fabric of this universe has become increasingly warped by Moriarty's interaction with it, with Cumberbatch manifesting as his twisted perception of Picard.

That's brilliant.

Part of me thinks it would be funny if Cumberbatch was indeed a clone of Picard somehow, perhaps left over from Nero's ship, and we cut to a scene of Patrick Stewart in the future on the Enterprise E sipping earl grey and going "What, another one? Again? Eh." and rolling his eyes.

VV Oh :(

Gatts fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 18, 2013

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lowen SoDium posted:

My first act as the elected President of the United Federation of Planets is to move the Federation Headquarters to Risa.

No, you fool! Risa is where the hot space babes with the free love are! It's a party planet! You don't threaten that space, move your HQ to Janeway's quarters or Q's backyard or Deep Space 9 or...umm...point is Risa is worth keeping safe.

Then again if your thought is that no one would want to threaten Risa then you might have something.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

octoroon posted:

It seems to me that most of the villains who have a tendency to threaten Earth with destruction probably wouldn't be too deterred by the "pleasure planet" thing. Villains are either asexual or hypersexual with deviant tendencies, as a rule, and you probably wouldn't get the latter in a JJTrek feature film. Although that would be pretty funny.

Good point. The next movie after this one should have a villain that wants to steal all the hot Earth women for itself. You'll note I said itself.

Aaawww yeeeaahhh.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
For the Undiscovered Country a ship that could fire when cloaked I'd say can be classified as a super weapon. It is rare and hard to do in the Trek universe.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think let's just go with Cuthulu.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think the Whale Probe is akin to that. They were just wondering what was up with their buds they couldn't talk to anymore, got concerned and went to go find them.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
What if it's Picard's granddad or granduncle or something?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'd consider it kind of neat if a Section 31 gone made rogue stole the Federation's big gently caress off ship and decided early in the movie to send it careening into Starfleet HQ while he had other options to pull out. Just as a gently caress you.

But I'm sure that's part of the climax.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

jeeves posted:

The blinged-out nacelles version of the Enterprise was "Starfleet's newest flagship" right from the launch of the ship... not due to numerous 5-year missions of awesomeness.

And yet somehow a total douchebag cadet who was about to be kicked out of the academy for cheating in front of tons of witnesses that he was a complete rear end in a top hat to gets promoted to captain of the flagship even with the old captain still alive. Oh wait, he was also randomly given a field promotion to acting captain for no good reason when he was technically a stowaway, which I don't even think chain of command would allow if Starfleet had any logic.

They even mention that there was some sort of fleet of ships massing that Spock was ordered to join, so it is not like the Enterprise is the only ship left with no one else able to be captain rank who has vastly more experience or... um. I'm going to stop, it doesn't make sense to go on.

So as I said, the old "hire a bum to pretend to be the old version of your new arch nemesis who caught you cheating" trick worked perfectly.

Kirk is a loose cannon! He's got to turn his com-badge and phaser in! And you know how much paperwork has to be filled out from the destruction he causes? But damnit...the man gets results...

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Let's get Q. Jim Carrey is Q and he is here to have fun with Kirk since Picard isn't any fun, Sisko punched him, and Janeway doesn't want his babies.

A Q movie. It'll be like Jackass only with jerk Gods who jerk the universe around and are a bunch of cocks. Literally.

"Mr. Sulu put it on screen."
*screen full of dickbutts*

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Blistex posted:

When Nero traveled back in time he could have left a letter with the Vulcan post office saying, "At Stardate #######.# there will be a supernova at coordinated #####. Please tell Spock to be ready with a ship and some red matter. Love Nero XOXOXO".

Makes me wish for a Back to the Future style Trek movie.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Indeed. I'm searching for images and Data is Captain of the Enterprise. Imagine being second in command to that guy. Immortal robot is never going to get rid of his chair. And imagine if he's promoted to Admiral or President of the Federation/Starfleet or something. Would be kind of cool to have a machine run operations as long as there's comedy.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Will he start disagreeing with the first officer and create a fight to simulate professional disagreements in an endeavor to be more human? Will Spot be allowed on the bridge with a litterbox in the corner?

Kidding, kidding. Data's my favorite ST character.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Meh, whatever. I have low expectations and involvement for this so I'll read the spoilers.

EDIT: Hahahaha, whatever, man.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 23, 2013

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I hope in the third one Kirk is now augmented to the point he is like a superhero. Like bounding buildings and bending warp cores and stuff. And also a blood sucking vampire. Possibly a daywalker. Trek can explore horror.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Ooooo what if the blood has, like, Khan's essence in it and in the next Trek we get all Evil Dead II/Army of Darkness where Kirk is Ash with evil Ash coming out and its filmed Rami style on shoestring budget? That'd be awesome. Then we get Kirk and evil Kirk. Bonus points if mirror universe Kirk shows up. 2 evil Kirks working together against 1 good Kirk.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think my favorite shot is still from the trailer where Alice Eve looks at the camera and starts screaming. I think that's going to be the best part.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Prometheus was far from dumb. Dear God don't poo poo on Prometheus by associating or comparing it in anyway with JJ Trek.

I'm only going to look forward to some analysis by people like SuperMechaGodzilla to see how this is redeemed.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I hope the climax is Kirk and his crew using Tribbles to defeat Khan.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I kinda do wish instead of the retarded action schlock someone would go the Schumaker route and get a camp TOS thing going like he did with Batman. Arnold Schwarzenegger is Khan.

EDIT: Ooooo! This might also open the door for Space Whale Probe!

Gatts fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 24, 2013

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Supercar Gautier posted:

What is the red goo?

Maybe we are lucky and Khan's blood is basically like the pink slime from Ghostbusters 2. It makes Kirk do funny dances with the right music. Or it means that Khan's spirit is in Kirk and he's now more badass Kirk and at some point it'll turn into Metal Gear Solid and the next movie is going to be by Hideo Kojima. In which case, loving AWESOME.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If you push the boundries of it, Trek has a lot of technology you could go nuts with. You have replicators and transporters. Transporters can store the entirety of a person and even be used to duplicate them (Rikers). You've got a cloning machine. Genetically augment people and clone a whole army of them, there's your space marines. You've eliminated world hunger due to replicators, now expand on that and replicate whole ships in space after building the prototype or inputting the parameters into the machine and then start spitting them out. Need more Datas?

EDIT: And the Holodeck.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
My personal hope Khan willingly lets them use his blood to save Kirk and is not all bad person. Let's go all out with this different universe.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Elotana posted:

I think we'll really have to see how it plays out to judge it. Magic blood isn't inherently less ridiculous than the katra conceit from II & III

You know what, yeah. Having Spock put his mind into McCoy and then be resurrected by being on a planet, aged to that one particular point, and then having his mind restored later on...it's nuts.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Or go in the opposite direction. Section 31 gains greater influence over Starfleet and the Federation. Things go dramatically differently in how they progress by the time TNG and Deep Space 9 happen with regards to the Borg and Dominion. gently caress, I wish we could get a full scale $200 million dollar Dominion War movie.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

AlternateAccount posted:

ST3 is kind of a giant mess as far as things like that go, which is why it's generally Not Very Good.

Yeah, it was a convoluted way to go about things. And I'm going to spoiler this so people don't misinterpret it by connecting it to the new Trek. Although given the consequences of the movie before, the meaning to the characters he had, the sacrifice of the Enterprise, at least there's some good in ST3 with the characters not reacting to plot points but actively making decisions to do things to rescue a friend. That along with Scotty and the Excelsior bits.

As much as I hated Trek 09 and don't have high hopes for this one I'm hoping there's the same sort of weight.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Feels underwhelming but we'll see the actual product. That said it's cool that Uhura factors in more and that Spock takes action. Hopefully the San Fran chase is good as is the warp speed battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

SirPhoebos posted:

In my nerdy opinion, the next movie should be centered around Q. The story would be that all the Alt. Reality tomfoolery has drawn the attention of the Q Continuim, and so they tell John DeLancy to beat everyone back into line. Being Q, he's aware of the alternate universises (although he doesn't bring it up except in specific instance. The story climzes with Q making Chris Pine fight the Borg (and of course PineKirk wins because :smugbert:)

Try dis. Rogue Founders of the Dominion hatch a plan to take some Jem'Hadar and steal a few Borg Ships along with an Armada, go back in time to Kirk's era and wreck poo poo up until a new Enterprise from a 100 years after Nemesis from an alternate dimension sent by Q shows up run entirely by Androids and the two Enterprises must beat the Borged Dominion. The sequel has Kirk and crew on the future Enterprise go into Fluidic space to kick that Scorpion species' rear end because they be dicks like that.

• Locked thread